Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#401 Post by Marullus »

...rightly so. :)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by Dram »

Neegan Translates everything that Pedleton and Able wanted to say. He unties the other 2 before they are put 2 sleep.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#403 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss and Dolph may ordinarily have not blinked an eyelid at killing the goblins in a melee. Certainly the goblins wouldn't blink over us wether armed or asleep. Still if we can spare them it might work to our benefit later.

Idriss limps alongside Dolph and follows the others from the room. He has his sword ready (for the goblins) and a holy water flask in the other hand (demon-heads).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Marullus »

Neegan translates everything to the goblins once their clamoring ceases. He tells them that the group has no gems. That the group thinks slaughtering them one at a time is cruel and unnecessary. That they will take Grimble the dwarf to the surface, which should be taken as a show of honesty. That the group will return to fight demon-things and hopes to talk to the goblins more. The goblins are then untied, then magically knocked unconscious and left closed in the chamber with the dim red lighting to awaken later.

The group then crosses the sea goddess chamber, again, and peers through the now-shattered wooden door on the opposite wall where the half-heads previously emerged.

Part of the ceiling has collapsed into the room, once a fresco mural, now gaping plaster exposing raw bedrock behind it. The north and east walls have been engraved with arcane runes. The floor is clear and empty, polished stone with an engraved knotwork pattern. You are entering at the north end of the west wall - immediately to your left is an archway leading into the next chamber. The room's dimensions mirror the one you're leaving - it extends 30 feet across and fifty feet to the south. A stone door stands closed in the southeast corner of the southern wall to your right. A stone door stands closed at the northern end of the far (east) wall as well.

You can see only partway into the next chamber through the northern archway with your lantern's light, as its dimensions both north and east exceed the light's reach (more than 30'). You take note that the floor is mounded more than a foot deep with bleached-white bone shards and detached teeth.

Date: 15 July 2021, 2:00pm
Light: Lantern (until 4:00pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: Idriss (Severe wounds), Dolph (severe wounds), Pendleton (moderate wounds), Ablesforth (minor wound), Grimble (Diseased)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able thanks Pierpont for providing a bloodless solution to the conundrum of the three goblins. He stops in the doorway and wonders what might have made such a large pile of bones, hoping it isn't nearby. Let's just not go in there right now, he whispers. He recommends the group skirt the edge of the room, avoiding crossing the knot-work pattern for now. He suggests heading counterclockwise around the room, towards the door leading to the right, hoping it will get to the bunk room Idriss mentioned.

Dwarfs in front again to check for traps, etc? Able will go in toward the front of the group.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by Zhym »

"One moment, if you please," says Pendleton as they set out, goblins now asleep. He approaches Dare. "We are better unseen than seen, are we not?" If the acrobat does not object, Pendleton makes him invisible. Then Pendleton makes himself vanish. "I have one left, if anyone else would prefer to move about incognito."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hmmm... Seems real useful, but also it seems like bein' unseen is somehow akin to lyin'. I'll pass fer now an' think on the matter. Meantime, let us know whatcha find.

Since we aren't outright leaving this place, maybe keeping one dose for later? Or was it a spell?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by Zhym »

Spell.

And who said anything about Pendleton scouting ahead? ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:Spell.

And who said anything about Pendleton scouting ahead? ;)
I assumed Dare would be doing that. :P

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#410 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare grins mischievously as he turns invisible by Pendelton's spell. "Yes. Much better this way," he laughs quietly.

Okay! Thief-Acrobat is ready to scout ~ I just need a reminder where we want to poke around next and I'll go on ahead, searching for danger.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#411 Post by Marullus »

Pendleton makes both himself and Dare invisible with his arcane incantations; they fade out of sight. Ablesforth advises quiet as you slink away from the open archway.

Dare leads the way (you think... he's now invisible AND quiet) counterclockwise around the room, avoiding the detailing on the floor, to the southern doorway. The group pauses while Dare checks the stone door, finding it unlocked. His attentive eye also spots a trigger, however - he identifies a discreet poisoned arrow meant to hit anyone opening the door. He carefully stands aside as he opens the door, the sharp arrowhead shattering against the stone of the doorframe.

The next room is a simple, 30' by 30' chamber with an arched ceiling. Smashed wooden bits speak to a handful of chairs that once were here, now the room just emptiness and ruin. An life-size imperious looking human statue wearing official-looking robes stands in the center of the southern wall, looking disdainfully at the space before it. The sturdy stone door you entered through is on the west end of the north wall. A simple wooden door is on the east end of the north wall without a lock. A third door is opposite the first, on the west end of the southern wall, and apparently the site of some trauma. This southern door is charred and half-broken. Bits of goblin flesh and smears of blood lie inside the doorway, torn into bloody gobbets, a golden necklace set with five emeralds is discarded on the floor. The top half of the door is smashed utterly, signs of a barricade made of furniture visible through the hole.

Date: 15 July 2021, 2:20pm
Effects: Invisible (Dare, Pendleton)
Injuries: Idriss (Severe wounds), Dolph (severe wounds), Pendleton (moderate wounds), Ablesforth (minor wound), Grimble (Diseased)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#412 Post by Zhym »

"Huh," comes Pendleton's voice out of the air. "I thought this room was going to be fifty feet across. I wonder if my map of the barracks is wrong." He tries to check his map but realizes that it's as invisible as he is. "Well, that's inconvenient," he sighs. Then he gets an idea—he sets the map on the floor and removes his hands from it. With any luck, the map appears.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Well there's a door in the far wall that could lead there. Able walks into the room and kneels to pick up the golden necklace, mumbling, Purty. Seems off though, it just layin' here like that. Able stows the necklace in his pack, then walks to the door and carefully looks through the opening at the top half of the door.

What is the statue made of? Could be worth taking to Gaul as an object d/art and historical artifact.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#414 Post by Zhym »

"Oh, I see the problem!" says Pendleton. "I got left and right confused when Idriss described where the barracks room was! How sloppy of me." The map seems to magically redraw itself as the invisible mage writes on the visible map on the floor.

Updated map:
Demon Hole.png
Demon Hole.png (190.21 KiB) Viewed 161 times
"There. That's better."

Should we assume Idriss told us what that necklace did?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

True about the necklace, though I thought Idriss told the story to us all, or at least in the bar. And Able wasn't recognizing it, as much as being suspicious of it. But still, you're right. If Spearmint (or anyone else, for that matter) posts about the necklace as if he's seen it, I have no issue with it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#416 Post by Marullus »

Pendleton adjusts his map, the changes appearing on the document as it rests on the floor. Ablesforth pouches the necklace, then inspects the statue. The statue is fashioned of smooth gray marble. As he examines it, the statue's mouth animates. "Sit down and wait," it instructs in a curt tone. Trying to peer through the broken door, he sees that it is barricaded with a pair of wooden beds.

Date: 15 July 2021, 2:30pm

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss Wayfarer

"Indeed I spent time watching over the Foxy maiden as she recovered from fearful zombie bites in these bunks. Goblins challenged us and one copse lay with that necklace around its neck. When the chirf thug took it and wore it , the circlet tightened around his neck and throttled him dead." the mage recounts his time from before.

The statue announces to wait? For what, something to appear? Is there anything in this room that indicates a portal? (other than a normal door!) Does the statues robes indicate some clerical order? Watch out for the space in front of it ... Idriss throws some rations on that floor space, he thinks maybe it will vanish to another plane?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#418 Post by Dram »

Neegan- I be thinking we are dinner and we waiting on them demons to and eat us. Let us get turned in the right direction and get our friend healed. If we are not leaving I will take that invisibility spell please.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#419 Post by Marullus »

Idriss takes out some fresh food from his pack, a haft of bread and some summer berries, and tosses it dramatically on the floor before the statue. The berries squish and the bread rolls to the side.

Date: 15 July 2021, 2:40pm

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#420 Post by Zhym »

"I do not believe that I am eager to wait for whatever this statue has in mind for us," opines Pendleton. "Let's clear out that doorway and be on our way."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”