Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#461 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able strikes up his lantern and leads the way into the Demon Hole again. He is careful to avoid the pit trap and keeps a wary eye for giant rats and giant lizards. He feels very exposed, being one of only a few visible members of the party. He leads them slowly and quietly back to the barracks, intending to pass through the eastern door.

For clarification, when we were at the statue and the sniffers came after us, they entered through the eastern door - where we haven't been before - correct?

Able did not buy any new provisions. All PCs and NPCs should have 5 flasks of holy water again.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton follows. Not that anyone can see him. As the party moves, he politely clears his throat or lightly taps the side of his leg to let people know where he is.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#463 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

I suggested this before on the first visit but it was not followed up, but we should be wary of the dangers we leave behind us and the cavern past the descending steps held a group of zombiefied goblins. We should deal with them before descending so that they don't hamper us when we ascend.

Those visible should be able to deal with them if they still lair above. Turning them to flee they might even step on the goblin traps in the cave.

Idriss and Dolph offer to investigate if others back us up.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I thought we tried to deal with them but they weren't there anymore. Able is happy to kill the undead.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#465 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare follows invisibly with his bow ready, feeling the new flasks of holy water gently clink in in the bag against his hip.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#466 Post by Marullus »

Dolph purses his lips, then nods. He follows Ablesforth's example and turns down the invisibility. With the rest of the party catered to, Able leads the way back through the caverns and to the bunk room barracks. He checks the reinforced eastern door and finds it is locked. The northern door is still barricaded, barely, the half-heads having knocked the beds over.

Does anyone else turn down invisibility? Three last night and three this morning can cover the whole party.

Date: 23 July 2021, 11:00am
Light: Ablesforth's Lantern (until 2:00pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: None

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#467 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able whispers for Dare to try his hand at the lock, Mind yer careful of traps though, he whispers. He motions to Dolph and the dwarfs to help him quietly set up the barricade again.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#468 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare carefully moves over to the lock surveys for traps. If he finds it clear, he tries his hand at unlocking the door.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#469 Post by Spearmint »

I thought we tried to deal with them but they weren't there anymore
sorry couldn't remember. Okay, Dolph and Idriss will retrieve the short-bow of Foxy also as I promised to get it back for her if I returned to the caves.

"I think we need a strategy to take these half-heads on, head on",he laughs at his pun. But they are not strictly 'undead' so cannot be turned and I believe they regenerate also. Fire and holy water and any magic we have.

Listening at the barricaded door and peering through, can we see the statue. Has anything 'come through' or is 'waiting' in the room apart from the statue?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton's voice is heard out of thin air. "We may indeed have to take the half-heads on directly. But they might be symptoms of a larger problem: an open gateway to an infernal dimension. If so, we can assume that there is an infinite supply of half-heads until the gateway is closed and that they would be better avoided until we can close the gate."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#471 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able nods visibly. No use in riskin' injury or death when Me an' Idriss an' Dolph can act as a wall t' protect th'others. We'll block, and the rest of you can shoot 'em full of holes an' pour on the holy water. Not so sure what t'do 'bout them gobbers though. Able also reminds Idriss that they each have a stick of incense that can locate internal power.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by Zhym »

BTW, what is our final count of invisible PCs? If it's less than everyone (minus Able), Pendleton can have some spells available to re-invisibilify people after an attack.

BTW, is Pendleton the only MU in this group? Intra-group spell trading is the quickest way to expand our spell books.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#473 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote:
I thought we tried to deal with them but they weren't there anymore
sorry couldn't remember. Okay, Dolph and Idriss will retrieve the short-bow of Foxy also as I promised to get it back for her if I returned to the caves.
You initially came only as far as the stairs - I am assuming you're repeating that pathway. Foxy's bow, and Idriss's encounter with the goblin-zombies, would be a chamber further on. If the party wants to go clear the caves before descending the stairs, that needs to be stated.
Zhym wrote:BTW, is Pendleton the only MU in this group? Intra-group spell trading is the quickest way to expand our spell books.
Pendleton and Idriss. You can state now that you did this in the downtime-week, if you wish. Cost is 50gp/spell level in inks. I'm not sure that either of you had the coin to worry about this just yet.
Spearmint wrote:"I think we need a strategy to take these half-heads on, head on",he laughs at his pun. But they are not strictly 'undead' so cannot be turned and I believe they regenerate also. Fire and holy water and any magic we have.
Infernal beings can be turned by a cleric at level 8 or higher. So, no, not by this group.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#474 Post by Zhym »

Marullus wrote:
Zhym wrote:BTW, is Pendleton the only MU in this group? Intra-group spell trading is the quickest way to expand our spell books.
Pendleton and Idriss. You can state now that you did this in the downtime-week, if you wish. Cost is 50gp/spell level in inks. I'm not sure that either of you had the coin to worry about this just yet.
Pendleton has the coin, since his plans to build a wizards' guild tower have stalled. Should we compare spell lists here or somewhere else?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#475 Post by Marullus »

Dare carefully checks the reinforced door for traps and, finding nothing inherently suspicious, tries to pick the lock. The door is meant to be secure, however, and eludes him. The door remains locked.

Idriss peers through into the unlit room beyond the barricade, sensing nothing moving in the darkness.

Ablesforth organizes a crew to shift the barricade back into place: the northern door is now blocked once more.

Date: 23 July 2021, 11:10am

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#476 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able true forcing the door with his shoulder. He fails.
Open Door (1-3 success) [1d6] = 6

Able has 2pp he'd donate to a Templar to expand his spellomancy skills.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Dram »

Neegan helps setup the barricade. Does Silver work on tem halfheads?

Marrullus I added a L Crossbow & 20 Bolts to my inventory. I forgot to buy one when we returned. 16gp and 6ep deducted from my sheet
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#478 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able explains that there isn't much about the sniffers that is certain. Able suspects that only magical weapons or silver would work, and Brother Mylo didn't disagree. But Brother Dolph's cleaver did a nice amount of damage to 'em. But it were the holy water what finished 'em. He waits for someone else to try forcing the door.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#479 Post by Marullus »

Dolph, as the only other visible party member, also applies a meaty shoulder to the reinforced door but finds it unyielding. With Dare's lockpicks and Able and Dolph's strength unable to breach the door (and the other doorway now again securely barricaded), Dolph turns to Able and shrugs. "What now?"

Date: 23 July 2021, 11:20am

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#480 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able looks around for the invisible dwarfs. Grimble. Neegan. Care to try your hand at this?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”