Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#281 Post by Marullus »

Ablesforth strains and curses, his carpenter's muscles bulging as he holds the broken wooden door against the press of demonic forms on the other side. He calls to Neegan and Grimble to negotiate the goblins to be allies instead of foes, but his voice is lost in the chaos of the melee. Neegan rushes to the door, pulling his hand-axe free from the splintered wood. Dolph stands next to him, interposing himself and his massive sword between the party and the two demons on this side of the door. With one foe on the floor, Dolph turns and cleaves deep into the form of the other half-headed sniffer. (-7) The demonspawn on the floor rises, however, its wounds knitting closed, and comes at Dolph again. Both creatures slash Dolph with their claws (-3, -1), the brave Templar bleeding profusely from his increasingly severe wounds.

Meanwhile, the goblins maintain their shield line in the far doorway. Pendleton steels his nerve and rushes forward, grabbing Idriss's bleeding body from at their feet and pulling him backwards to stabilize his wounds. Grimble rushes forward, screaming like a madman, and bowls into the goblin ranks with his heavy pick! Dare, who was covering the goblins with his bow, looses an arrow and hits one of the three goblin swordsmen squarely in the face, dropping him before he can strike at the raging dwarf. Grimble barrels right through the other two swordsmen, knocking them off-balance so they miss him with their blows and disrupting the ranks of slingers behind, his swings disrupting them but not connecting with the goblin mass. Two of the slingers, however, pull their jagged stone daggers and get inside Grimble's reach, stabbing viciously into his gut. (-4, -3) Grimble drops like a sack of stones, bleeding in the midst of the goblin troop. The goblins are confused but steely-eyed, remaining stalwart in the doorway against both human and demonic foes.

(Next round!)

Date: 14 July 2021, 3:54 pm
Light: Ablesforth's Lantern (until 5:30pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: Idriss (dying [stabilized], unconscious), Grimble (dying [bleeding], unconscious), Dolph (severe wounds), Ablesforth (minor wound)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing Dimly drop in a pool of his own blood, Able shakes his head. Not prone to passing judgement, he surprises himself as the thought, Foolish, pops into his head. He feels useless despite knowing his current position is vital. He knows he cannot act directly against the infernal creatures on the other side of the door, but perhaps he can get them to go away. After suggesting one of the party douse the downed sniffer in holy water to see if it provides a more permanent death, Able speaks to the sniffers on the other side of the door, holding his silver holy symbol aloft.

In Infernal
We got holy water n' magical weapons. So ya better get along now afore we cutcha down n' send ya back to yer hell.
Is there a CHA check on that? :?

Able could probably cast CLW on Idriss or Dimly of they were within reach.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton looks towards the demons, wondering if he should toss more holy water. Remembering his recent poor aim, he decides that Dimly needs his help more. He takes a deep breath and heads to the front lines of battle long enough to drag Dimly back to Able, where Pendleton tries to bind the dwarf's wounds.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Dram »

Last edited by Dram on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Marullus »

Make a 5d6 CHA check, allowed bc it is said in infernal.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

CHA 12 vs [5d6] = 22
Didn't think so. :P

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Marullus »

Just holding for Dare, I think?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#288 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare fires feebly at the goblins as Pendleton once again recovers a comrade form the arms of death.

THAC0 13, shortbow attack [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3, arrow damage [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Marullus »

The demonspawn press against the broken wooden door, Ablesforth's muscles straining to keep them at bay but still succeeding. Shouting directions to the others, Ablesforth then threatens the demons in their own infernal language. It gets their attention -- it does not, however, dissuade them from their assault.

Dolph hits his half-headed foe mightily once more with his two-handed sword, nearly cleaving the creature in half and dropping it to the ground, while Neegan likewise buries his recovered hand axe in the demonspawn which just rose from the floor, dropping it again as well. With both demons in the room downed for the moment, they're free to turn their attention to the plight of the others.

...and the plight of the others is indeed dire. Idriss is now stabilized but remains unconscious with Ablesforth's healing arts temporarily unavailable. Grimble (though it is amusing your autocorrect keeps calling him Dimly) lies unconscious and bleeding among the goblins. Pendleton is struck with a momentary bolt of bravery and charges the goblin line to recover Grimble's body. Dare tries to cover him with his bow, but the bowstring snaps! (Critical fumble) ...which will cost precious time to restring, and leaes Pendleton charging into the goblins alone. The two remaining goblin swordsmen at the fore both swing at the unarmored scholar, easily striking him, but seem stymied by his billowing finery and lack of armor (-2, -1). Pendleton survives the superficial wounds, dragging Grimble back to safety and stabilizing him. The goblin slingers look beyond Pendleton for a real threat - they fling their rocks at Dolph and Ablesforth. Two rocks smack the wall near Ablesforth harmlessly, but the other two strike squarely, knocking the already severely-wounded Dolph in the head and knocking him out cold, falling to the floor like a heap of stone. (-4, -3)

Date: 14 July 2021, 3:55 pm
Injuries: Idriss (dying [stabilized], unconscious), Grimble (dying [stabilized], unconscious), Dolph (dying [bleeding], unconscious), Pendleton (moderate wounds), Ablesforth (minor wound)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Dram »

Neegan- Speaking goblin says. Stop attacking us!! We are trying to rid your home of the demons so that your families will be safe. Please let us take our wounded.

Cha Check
[1d20] = 11
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Is there another doorway we could drag our wounded (and the mask) through? If so, Able will let the demons through and run to block that doorway, leaving the goblins to face the demons.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Marullus »

The goblins spit in Neegan's direction, a clear defiance of his belated offer of truce. One of the slingers takes up the sword and shield of the downed goblin, firming up the shield wall they have facing you in the doorframe. The merely glower for a moment, watching Ablesforth struggle to hold the door closed, halfheads straining against it. Dolph takes a moment to pour a vial of his holy water on the two downed demons - they sizzle and hiss.

The goblins are in the opposing doorway.
The demonspawn are pushing against the now-broken door on the right wall, and will enter if Ablesforth lets go.
The door behind you is closed, holding back the overflowing blood from the mandala.
The door on the left wall is locked, as Dare didn't get to pick it yet.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Dolph is unconscious...

Able tells Pendelton to drag Dolph to the the now-locked door. Dare, you get us through that door. I'm gonna let these bastards through and then I'll shield ya as best I can with my body. While holding the door for one more round, he casts Bless on Dolph.

I cannot remember if Blessing Dolph will make it so the infernal will leave us alone.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Zhym »

Marullus wrote:Dolph takes a moment to pour a vial of his holy water on the two downed demons - they sizzle and hiss.
This is an "I should probably keep my mouth shut" thing, but isn't Dolph a bit busy being on the ground, knocked out and bleeding?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:This is an "I should probably keep my mouth shut" thing, but...
I like the way you game! :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Marullus »

Oooops! Stricken. :-D

The wounded and unconscious half-headed demonspawn on the floor slowly knit back together. Dolph bleeds profusely, his life fading. Ablesforth yells commands and hopes people listen, still holding the door.

Date: 14 July 2021, 3:56 pm
Injuries: Idriss (dying [stabilized], unconscious), Grimble (dying [stabilized], unconscious), Dolph (dying [bleeding], unconscious), Pendleton (moderate wounds), Ablesforth (minor wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton, impromptu medic, dashes forward again to get Dolph.

"I'm a cretinous fool!" he declares, smacking his forehead. He pulls a healing potion from his pack and pours it down Dolph's throat.

Healing potion: [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Dram »

Neegan will try to bind Dolphs wounds. If he still lying within sword swing of the goblins he will pull out his coin sack and throw 5 platinum pieces behinds them to draw there attention away long enough for him to grab Dolph.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

lies unconscious on the floor, his pouches of holy water dragging behind him. He still wears his mask of half headedness.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Able tells Pendelton to drag Dolph to the the now-locked door. Dare, you get us through that door. I'm gonna let these bastards through and then I'll shield ya as best I can with my body. While holding the door for one more round, he casts Bless on Dolph.

I cannot remember if Blessing Dolph will make it so the infernal will leave us alone.
Holding for Dare. :)

No, blessing Dolph won't make the infernal leave him (or plural us) alone. Dolph is a Templar, though, and so has his own permanent Protection from Evil, as does Idriss and Able.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”