Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#61 Post by Dram »

Neegan- Helps with the search for any valuables in the rats nest.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Marullus »

Neegan tries to enter the miasma to reach the rats nests, but is completely overcome by the foulness of the air. Even after he manages to crawl free of the brown Haze, it still takes several minutes for him to regain the ability to do anything in the face of such noxious fumes.

Date: 14 July 2021, 12:00 noon
Light: Ablesforth's Lantern (until 2:00pm)
Effects: Bless on party (+1 to hit/dam) (12:25); Sleep on 8 rats (until 12:35); Levitation on Idriss (1:05)
Injuries: Ablesforth (minor wound), Dolph (minor wound)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able scratches his head and beard again as Pendleton confusticates. Finally, he shakes his head and shrugs. I never done known anyone t'make this so durned complicated. The truth you tell should be somethin' the folks with you don't already know. It should be from yet heart - somethin' to lay yer spirit bare. Some folks think of it as a repentance, but it could be a vow or boast or a story about yet gramma or grampa.

But like I said, I'm not judging, so if you think what you revealed matches that d'scription, who'm I t'argue. Eruanna will know. But that was a lot of healing, so she must see potential in you. Try not to disappoint her.
Able slaps Pendleton on the back, letting the matter drop.

Let's press on. I'll lead us. Can someone carry Persuader? Able hands off his maul and hoists two rat corpses to use as a decoy for the zombies. He toys with the idea of dowsing the bodies with holy water, but decides against it, wanting to conserve resources.

all the sleeping rats are dead now, right?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Dram »

Neegan - Moves back with the party. COUGH!! AHH!! HA!! That was not a good idea. Is there any magic that can remove the foul air?
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:all the sleeping rats are dead now, right?
Yes.

Idriss floats above, pulling himself from stalactite to stalactite while Ablesforth now leads the group forward on the ground, flanked by the dwarves. You pass through a narrower cavern, leaving the brown miasma of the rat nests behind.

You see the stairs then before you at the side of the cavern. The main cavern is quiet, ghostlike, with the heavy cauldrons of the goblins resting on long dormant ash of their cookfires, your lantern light not reaching the caverns far wall. Hefting the giant 60lb carcasses of dead rats in case you meet zombies, you are relieved to not see any movement in the cave.

The stairs are solid stone, carved downward into the bedrock below. The efforts to burn and collapse the stairs have resulted in some flaking of the limestone and dangerous-looking cracks, but nothing has collapsed or fallen at this time. There is a healthy amount of ash, charred wood bits, and debris, however, making your footing slow and careful.

At the bottom of the stairs you find a 10' square landing platform. Straight ahead of you is a carved stone door rotating inward on hinges. It is closed, but has no apparent lock. A hallway extends 20' to the left, then makes a left turn out of sight.

Date: 14 July 2021, 12:20pm
Effects: Bless on party (+1 to hit/dam) (12:25); Levitation on Idriss (1:05)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

It might be prudent to actually search the rest of the top level from the ceiling just to make sure we have delat with all the threats here. I remember about four goblin zombies so we should be able to dispatch those if they haven't multiplied.

I believe Foxy left her short bow and arrows by the abattoir area, not sure but she used it a lot and paid for some special crafted arrows too. Maybe a bow user might benefit from retrieving it?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Abbot war? Which deities?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

okay then... Bad joke?
At any rate, we've left the top level. We could go back up and deal.with the geckos if anyone feels strongly, but Able is here for the infernal.

After looking around a bit for the zombies, Able shrugs. They must've shambled away. Which way to the half-headed beasts, Idriss?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#69 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare remains cautious of any hidden dangers, with special attention to the door before them. "I may have been on the prowl too long, but I find I've come to mistrust trust doors without locks on them," Dare comments. "Locks I can understand. But this? It could be a trap..."
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able considers Dare's logic and finds it intriguing. Maybe so, but I reckon I wouldn't recognize a trap. You?

Go ahead and check for traps, if you want to, Mister Kent.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Dram »

Neegan looking over the stone work door not touching anything for any signs of a trap.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Marullus »

Sorry, I was expecting more posts. Didn't realize this was waiting on me.

Neegan inspects the door and its surrounds critically, Dare providing a shrewd eye as well, but neither determines anything trap-like about the doorway. (Idriss also recalls having past through this door previously.)

For Neegan and Grimble:
Your keen appreciation of stone handiwork places your estimation of the construction at the bottom of this stair at 1,500-1,800 years ago, which predates the goblin's modifications in the natural caves above by over a millennia. Also, the stonework here is sized for humans, not goblins.

You are also discomfited by the stonework as unnatural in general - it shows no sign of being worked by hands at all. There are no signs of any craftsmanship upon the stairs, walls, or doorframe, as if it came into being already formed and without aid of any skilled workman.
Date: 14 July 2021, 12:30pm
Effects: Levitation on Idriss (1:05)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able drops the dead rat on the ground, absentmindedly picking off any fleas that might have emerged from it's carcass. Seeing the door proved safe, he suggests the group pass through (if that was the way Idriss had seen the infernal). He suggests Neegan go in first, followed by Grimble, being dwarfs and all. We could spend time dithering about them upper floors, but the infernal we come fer are down this way. Don't seem to make sense to me to keep 'em waiting.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Spearmint »

perhaps we could put the two maps of the dungeons from the previous Foxy goes bounty hunting expedition into the maps section so we can see where we are?

Idriss floats above the top chamber as folk go down the stairs. Can Dolph recover the shortbow of Foxy? They will bring up the rear as folk check the door for traps and the security of the stonework. Idriss comments on his previous time below,
"The room beyond is a large square one, to the front left another similar room but full of shrieking fungi. The half-head demon spawn came from a room to the left of that."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

At Idriss's words, Able puts a hand on the Neegan's shoulder. If they might be this close, I'll go in first. Eruanna's blessing will protect me from the infernal. Idriss, you come too, with a lantern. Able pushes the door open a small distance, staying away from the opening. If it sounds safe, he will enter.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Marullus »

The door before you is plain - well-fitted stone with a pull-handle but no locks or notable crevices. Finding no discernable traps, you stand to the side (just into the hallway to the left) and push the door open. The room beyond is dark, so you bring your lantern to the fore.

It is a 50' by 50' room and your door enters in the center of one wall. The far wall from you has another door on it in the far-left corner. The wall to your right also has a door in its furthest corner from you. Both of the other doors are made of simple wood and are without locks. Trash and scraps fill the room, small piles of detritus collected haphazardly over time. Some appear to be fashioned into small beds/nests along the walls. A round wooden table and eight chairs sit in the south-east corner of the room. Rotten scraps of moldy fruit or vegetables lie haphazardly, giving a pungent undertone to the other smells of the room, chewed scraps of dried meats, spring tubers, and the like. Several rotten apples are scattered throughout the room, perhaps a half-bushel, fresh enough to be about a two weeks old but with a steady supply of rotting cores in the trash piles.

Date: 14 July 2021, 12:40pm
Effects: Levitation on Idriss (1:05)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Dram »

Neegan hears Able and moves behind him as they enter room. Weapons drawn ready to defend Able.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss Half-headhunter

bringing up the rear with his meat shield Dolph, Idriss checks that those sneaky demoniacs don't sneak up on us.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare silently creeps along the outside edge of the room. Approaching the wooden doors, he listens at each in turn to see if he can hear anything stirring beyond.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton stands behind someone large.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”