Fingers: The Kobold Tower: Part II - 13 June 2021

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Fingers: The Kobold Tower: Part II - 13 June 2021

#261 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I wrote a response to Rhybek yeterday. Then edited because Zhym posted. Then edited because Al posted. Then edited becaue Zhym posted again, etc. I finally gave up on trying to get an IC post in! :lol:

As for locations, Able is still in the tower, beneath the hatch to the second story. Still fighting with only 2HP.

You don't think I was really just giving out the goods on my old beau earlier, do you? That wouldn't be right, but it had to be done for the healing. Eruanna calls for a... trade. A public confession. Else her powers don't flow through me. Briefly glancing in Rhybek's direction, Ablseforth shrugs, showing there is nothing else to be done for it.

Hearing Rhybek's tale, Ablesorth asks Fingers to cover the hatch to prevent the kobolds from escaping or throwing anything down at them.
That'll do just fine. And there ain't no judging here. Just opening up, is all. What you do with your dirty laundry... That'll be up to you.

Seeing some of the wounds knit together, Able reveals his own truth in the midst of battle. I always shy'd away form the truth before I got the calling. Now I find it refreshing. The first few is the toughest. Lot's of guilt pent up. I get that. As for me, I wonder why I'm here, killing a bunch of dog-headed creatures. I s'pose they're evil, but my heart ain't in it. Let's just git'er done so's I can search out them infernals Idriss told me about. With that, he prays for his own wounds to heal. The results show that he could have been more open. He sighs. Still learning...

I rolled this for Rhybek before the confession was made. I thought his confession could be based on the healing given, but I kept getting ninja'd. ;) I think that was too much for just 3 HP. I'll make a second roll later, if no one else needs healing more.
CLW [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3

CLW on Able [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

So.. that is my next three melee rounds, I suppose. Attack, heal, heal.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#262 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Sorry, lots of people moving around and it's hard to keep track of it all. Idriss is outside the tower, climbing a grappling hook to fire magic missiles into the third window. Or the second window. I'm not sure. Fingers had run out at one time to get his dog; I guess I missed the part where he came back in. Abe is... hard to keep track of. So I was under the impression that most people were just outside the tower, not just inside the tower. With a crossbow, Rhybek is not in action every other round while he reloads, anyway...

Rhybek, healed a bit and crossbow loaded, heads back in and takes aim at a kobold...

Light Crossbow [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3 Damage [1d6] = 5

He will reload the next round...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Marullus »

(Adjudicating as two rounds to fit in all actions appropriately)

A half-dozen or so kobolds remain on the second floor, hunkered down and looking for options as they fear the party's reprisals. Fingers and Neegan provide cover fire, shooting at any canid head which pops into view, while Ablesforth retreats across the floor to join the others at the external door and prays for Eruanna's healing on his own injuries. [Kobolds benefit from full cover, -4 AC. Ablesforth +4 hp.] Fingers fires twice, his arrows quivering where they stick solid in wooden crates and barrels behind which the creatures hide. Neegan fires once and then reloads; he hits one of the slingers as it pops up to consider a shot, his bolt splattering its head and eliciting more fearful noises from the kobolds. (-3hp) They remain cowed, trying to regroup.

Rhybek crosses the yard to rejoin the others at the entrance. Joining outside as well, Ablesforth hears Rhybek's honest confession and then prays for the dwarf's healing as well. (+3hp) Feeling better, Rhybek leans in and also tries to skewer a kobold but misses, now needing to reload his crossbow.

Idriss intones his words, summoning his magical powers. A fizzy blue ball of energy collesces near his head, flitting about as he holds it unreleased. The entertainer-turned-Templar then deftly ascends the rope up the side of the tower, passing the windowless first and second stories until he reaches the arrow slits of the third floor. He releases his magical missile - it zips through the arrow slit and impacts the body of a tiny kobold impressively, knocking him off the ladder to the floor from which he doesn't rise. (-2 hp) Dangling from the rope 30' off the ground and looking through the slit, Idriss sees one remaining kobold in the room, who begins banging on the trapdoor above and screaming frantically as his companion is slain by the magical bolt. Flames flicker across the floor intermittently, a few beds burning among over a half-dozen bodies who burned and flailed, not knowing to stop-drop-and-roll.

Kobolds appear at the fourth floor windows above Idriss, where his grapple hooks to the windowsill - their excited barking speech rather insistent. A brass chamberpot drops, flying wide of Idriss on its way to splatter its contents on the ground. They tug at the grappling hook to dislodge it, but fail to pull it loose while it is anchored by Idriss's weight and strength.

Date: 10:55am, 14 June 2021
Light: Sun
Distance travelled: 1-2 miles
Weather: Dry, mostly sunny, 53 F
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Ablesforth (moderate injury), Neegan (minor injury), Rhybek (minor injury), Sprinkles (minor injury) Craige (minor injury), Fingers (minor injury)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Zhym »

Fingers waits for another kobold head to pop up, but he only puts another arrow into the barrels.

'Silmaril' (THAC0 18): [1d20+3] = 8+3 = 11, [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

How many are left on the second floor? Able votes for charging up the ladder again. but he doesn't have any ranged weapons. Anyone else willing to charge in?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Dram »

Neegan continues to his crossbow at any Kobold that popsup.

L Crossbow to hit [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16, todam [1d6] = 5
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss 'not-so gung-ho' Wayfarer

Idriss has a think but there is not much to think about until a pee filled pot nearly brains him entirely. Too fat to gain entrance through the arrow slit in the third floor (he would have entered and attacked the goblin otherwise), Idriss will scale down the ladder in quick abseil fashion. I think trying to breach the window is one of those 'forlorn hopes' that when breached the other soldiers run over my dead body to victory. Not being That kind of Templar, he will mutter discretion being the better part of valour.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#268 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek

Rhybek reloads his crossbow. When he sees Idris return to the earth, he asks, "How many did you see up there?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:How many are left on the second floor? Able votes for charging up the ladder again. but he doesn't have any ranged weapons. Anyone else willing to charge in?
A half-dozen or so kobolds remain on the second floor, hunkered down and looking for options as they fear the party's reprisals.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Marullus »

Fingers shoots and hits a barrel. Rhybek reloads. Neegan, his aim still true, hits another in the head as it pops up for a view, then it rises no more. (-5hp) Neegan now needs to reload. Able proposes running in while Idriss drops back down the rope and is greeted with questions by the party members. The raucousness of the kobolds on the fourth floor increases while those on the second floor remain cowed. As Idriss dismounts the rope, the kobolds above take the opportunity to dislodge the grapple and throw it down with a cheer.

Date: 10:56am, 14 June 2021
Injuries: Ablesforth (moderate injury), Neegan (minor injury), Rhybek (minor injury), Sprinkles (minor injury) Craige (minor injury), Fingers (minor injury)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#271 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek

OOC: How many people would be able to get up the ladder to the second floor at a time? If not more than one, then I suggest people who can't range start going up the ladder and the people who can range do one more ranged attack and then follow. There is minimal chance of taking friendly fire under LL rules, which is nice.

Rhybek fires one more time. Then he will change to his battleaxe and climb the ladder the next round.

Light Crossbow [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6 Damage [1d6] = 2

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Zhym »

Fingers wastes another arrow.

Scratch that. Kobold. He wastes another kobold.

'Silmaril' (THAC0 18): [1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20, [1d8+1] = 7+1 = 8

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

neatly dodging the loosened grapnel hook from hitting him, Idriss winds the rope up into a loop.
"The fourth floor has maybe half a dozen, I couldn't tell. The third floor has one wretched creature left, scrabbling to be let through a trap door to the above. The fire is almost out though. With only arrow slits and small embrasures it seems the only way is through the internal access."

"Perhaps we have an idea for guile over brute force? Maybe we can stave these creatures or check out another building. Enough logs and boards in that yard to build us a small catapult or trebuchet, can anyone build a catapult?" Idriss (whilst under cover from kobold archers) thinks over other plans.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Dram »

Neegan- I do not have the skill. He reloads his crossbow and fires.

L Crossbow to hit [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3, todam [1d6] = 2
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I can build ya a barn, or a church, or a house. But nothin' like that. He picks up the nearest hard object and throws it up the hatch, hoping to hit a Kobold. He shrugs when it barely clears the hatch. This is just dumb.... he mutters. I'm goin'back up the ladder. Who's with me?

Random Object Toss [1d20-4] = 12-4 = 8

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#276 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek

Rhybek readies his axe and shield and nods at the ladder, indicating he will join the brave Abe.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for your patience.

Several heavy objects fall from above, smashing around the tower's entrance as the kobolds on the fourth floor try to hit the adventurers, who are smart enough themselves to keep under cover. Finger's arrow skewers a kobold (-8)who didn't quite fit behind his barrel on the second floor, eliciting pitiful canine whimpers of dismay from the scant few who remain in hiding there. Rhybek's bolt flies wide, after which he sets aside the crossbow and pulls out his axe to advance with Able. Neegan manages to jam the mechanisms on his crossbow, disabling it in addition to missing his shot. (Critical fumble. One round to fix the crossbow, then one round to reload it before it can be used again.)

Idriss contemplates siege weaponry as a more thoughtful course towards those kobolds at the tower's top while Able and Rhybek prepare to charge up the latter and finish off the simpering dogmen.

Date: 10:57am, 14 June 2021

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#278 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek Baerdrum

Once Rhybek makes his way to the first floor (British nomenclature), he targets the largest kobold remaining and continues to take out his anger on them.

"You and your lot are done for! Never shoulda hit my mule with yer damned stones!"

Battle Axe [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 Damage [1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ablesforth races up the ladder and bursts through the Kobolds' makeshift barricade. He attacks one of the spear wielders with his setting maul and hopes he can drive the rest into the open for Fingers or Idriss to pick off.

"Persuader" [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13, dmg [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Zhym »

Fingers fires again before Able and Rhybek reach the kobolds in melee.

'Silmaril' (THAC0 18): [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7, [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”