Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 2021

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 202

#841 Post by Starbeard »

Marullus wrote:Under Foxy's direction, the group begins dragging their travois slowly through the mud and rain on this treeless ridge, Clay and Grizzly Woman coming only under protest.
Hopefully this isn't coming too late, but I've been working and couldn't check in until now—since I figure we've been lucky enough as it is and need to play it safe from here on out, I really didn't intend to have Grizzly do anything other than hide, regardless of what the others did. I feel that she's been established as a pretty autonomous gal, doing whatever she likes regardless of what the rest of the team decides, so if there's any possibility of keeping her in hiding then I'd appreciate it. From Rusty's in-character protests, my impression is that he'd feel the same about Clay.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#842 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I had just sent Marullus a PM about this... I agree with Starbeard. Clay's intent, no matter what Baxtaw and Foxy did, was to hide, scratching out some sort of burow, hopefully large enough anyone staying behind. And the treasure, if it was left.

His opinion was that, even if the earth was disturbed, the dragon would think it was some insignificant animal. The treasure can be buried with the tailings.

But, as Starbeard said, that is only if it is not too late to bail on the others.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#843 Post by Marullus »

I don't assume a party split, but party splits are possible. My assumption is that when the Lead decides, everyone follows unless they specifically state they're willing to split the group. It seems that is the case here. Foxy isn't willing to wait with them and they're not willing to follow.

So:
  • Foxy, Baxtaw, and Halfpint made a break for it. The good news is that none of them are encumbered, so they're three times faster. The bad news is that they're caught by the dragon. We'll proceed with that scene with Foxy and Baxtaw as the active participants and Halfpint safely hidden. If they survive, they can make it back to town fast to carry warning as they stated.
  • I'll then continue Clay and Grizzly Woman as a separate sub-expedition, dragging the travois back for another six days of encounters alone. (If something happens to Foxy and Baxtaw, then Halfpint knows where to go back and find this group.)

Resume Scene: Foxy, Baxtaw, and Halfpint
Marullus wrote:Their hope of not being noticed is soon dashed. After a short while, the dragon flaps its wings to ascend and easily spies the group, slow as they are and only a few score yards a little under a mile from where they began. The dragon circles once then alights about 60' ahead of them on the crest of the ridge. Half-pint disappears into the brush before anyone notices.

The dragon rumbles internally, then speaks, it's tone bemused. "Turtles. You must be turtles, yes?
I thought you men! Two days and you are barely a wing flap from my fortress."
The dragon tsks, or hisses, or both. It twines it's sinewy long neck to look askance with it's eye. "Do you not fear being eaten enough to hurry? Your dwarf friend was a bit... Loamy. Not pleasant. Do you not fear joining him?" it slides around, peering with it's other eye. "Do you not wish to hurry and warn them of my coming?"

Date: 7:30 pm, 08 June 2021
Light: Sunlight (55% cloud cover)
Effects: None
Distance: ~3 mile today
Weather: 52 Degrees, heavy rain, Wind 10-13mph SSW
Injuries: Halfpint (grevious injury), Baxtaw (grevious injury), Foxy O'Hare (severe injury), Huckleberry (moderate injury), Grizzly Woman (moderate injury)

Noticed?
[1d6] = 6

Half-pint hide [1d100] = 66

Dragon reaction roll [2d6] = 3
... incredulous. Again, a friendly dragon.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#844 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks. And good luck to the others!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#845 Post by Starbeard »

Yeah, good luck!

The Grizzly Woman whiles away the time in her mud pit (or Clay's tunnel if it's big enough) by practicing counting to twenty-seven.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#846 Post by Marullus »

On then, to Foxy and Baxtaw...

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#847 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"Ah, Baxtaw, it is that dragon of rust we awoke with our victory anthem after defeating the necromantic king of the halls. What was your Name again? You wished to carve your fame with maidens, not sure how many of those dwell in Gaul actually. Lady Griselda was is a spinster of the High Mountains and I, well my maidenhood was lost when I was seduced by that philanderer Van Cleef. He left me at the altar and I search for him, not least to tell him I carry his child. Perhaps you have seen this vagabond rogue?...
...You took my golden medallion shield to adorn your neck in tribute if I remember correctly though you promised me a triumphal ride back to Gaul in return. Not a ripping embrace in your claws. Betrayal of a promise is hardly a noble thing, especially for such a One seeking to exalt their own draconic celestial-ness. How is you tooth by the way? Now these barrows of jewels we took, they might just be enough to court the favours of 'The Emerald Queen' Lisseth or 'the Impending Blitzkrieg' Galgathael in defeating those minnow mages of Monoc, don't you think? I hardly think my arrogant sarcasm deserves an epitaph by which both of us may be eternally named...

Here lies Foxy, Flame of the North. Snuffed out by Scatha, Scoffer of Dwarves....

I swear the God's of Destiny has caused our paths to cross again. Can we not come to some agreement whereby all of us gloriously rise in peaceable honour?"

Foxy weighs everything up and thinks the dragon will either kill us both or has some interest in keeping us alive and will consider taking us to Gaul.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#848 Post by Marullus »

Foxy Snipes and taunts the dragon with her words, invoking what she believes to be the names of it's draconic rivals and mocking it's lost frontal fang. As its lips pull backwards she sees it has no shortage of remaining teeth. The dragon's curiosity in them seems to have waned quickly to an ambivalence towards their continued state of existence. "You are too bold to your betters, small one. I am thinking I need one more...
Sensible to her situation."
The dragon narrows it's eyes as it regards Baxtaw. "It is likely I will eat your impudent friend, elf. Tell me... Do you remember the message I wish delivered to your little town?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#849 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Remembers Cangs words "It is Maiden's that you prefer and Maidens the town must provide or face your ruin." Great Cang that is the message we are on our way to give to the village. As we are the last of our party. Let us give the warning you ask us to give.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#850 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"oh no, C'ang the Grate was the loin clothed lord of the gully Dwarves. This wrym, great in Name and stature is 'He Who Blazes across the Heavens', Scatha Crimson-claw. Whose claw was baptised in the scarlet blood of my own by the way. Jarkul-Bane, the Zephyr of Zhint, the Glory of Gaul....and he demands a tribute of maidens and for scholars to write of his infamy."

Foxy will sit crossed legged beneath the sweltering heat of the dragons' curled up form, taking out a nibbed quill and her personal diary from her satchel. She looks up at the dragon expectantly.

"Well, there are no sages in town except an illiterate grey beard and a fool bard. However, I do have a certain way with words as you can tell from our previous dialogues. Perhaps I could make some scholarly notes on your early victories?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#851 Post by Marullus »

As Foxy interjects again, this time implying that the dragon's greatness is somehow related to or derived from the fact that it was "baptized" in her blood, the dragon reacts, interrupting the rest of her speech. The dragon's head whips around, its threatening hiss combined with the harsh, guttural pronunciation of words in the draconic tongue.

Foxy save versus spells -4. i.e. [1d20-4]

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#852 Post by Stirling »

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#853 Post by Marullus »

Foxy looks stunned, falling silent and looking dumbly down at the writing materials in her hands. The dragon's lips pull back from its fangs in a rather horrifically frightening smirk before it turns to ignore her and focus again on Baxtaw.

"Gooood..." the dragon rumbles at his answer. "Tell them I shall demand a maiden be tied to a stake beyond the north gate of the city every new moon. It will be such a treat, to once again feast upon rarified human flesh. Make sure they send word to all knights of your kingdoms of the Terror of Scatha the Wyrm."

The dragon distracts itself as it ruminates further, "...but perhaps they need a proper display of might? I could burn down their wooden tower before then to properly instill fear. Or lay waste to their walls... no, then they learn to fear the lesser beasts as well. Best to keep them focused. How convincing is an uninjured messenger? Perhaps I need to flay you before you return?" It glances back at Baxtaw, the heavy rain continuing to sizzle on its scarlet hide.

Date: 7:30 pm, 08 June 2021
Distance: ~4 miles today
Weather: 52 Degrees, heavy rain, Wind 10-13mph SSW; half-moon waxing rises 2:29pm, sets 12:06am
Injuries: Baxtaw (grevious injury), Foxy O'Hare (severe injury

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#854 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

psst... Dram, get the dragon to burn the Temple of Baudh down. And I'm not saying that because it would help one of my characters at all by eliminating the trial judge. ;)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#855 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw Mighty Cang I am seriously injured already as you can see. Another shall be the death of me I fear. How then would send your message to the village? From the looks of my friend she will not be telling anyone of your might. He waits for his reply.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#856 Post by Marullus »

I'm going to assume you did not call him C'ang again IC. :) He is Scatha the Wyrm.

The dragon harumphs through his nostrils, clearly disappointed at the logic of not-maiming. "Very well. I will give you two nights to reach your town; I tire of your slowness. You will deliver my message and your ruler will raise a crimson banner atop his wooden tower to signal his assent. If he does so by the full moon, I will not burn it to the ground as a show of my might. Either way, I expect the delivery of fresh maiden on the new moon that follows."

The dragon then flaps his enormous wings, ascending into the storm-wracked skies above as lightning crackles in the clouds. As it dissappears, you stand alone on the ridgeline, the downpour of rain ruining the writing materials that Foxy stares at on her lap.

(Halfpint actions now also needed.)

Date: 7:40 pm, 08 June 2021
Distance: ~4 miles today
Weather: 52 Degrees, heavy rain, Wind 10-13mph SSW; half-moon waxing rises 2:29pm, sets 12:06am
Injuries: Baxtaw (grevious injury), Foxy O'Hare (severe injury

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#857 Post by onlyme »

Once the dragon has left, halfpint will move back toward the travellers.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#858 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Follows behind Halfpint back towards the others.

Yes I meant Scatha :shock:
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#859 Post by Stirling »

Foxy

stands, physically and emotionally drained, injured from several wounds and everything else is just a mental blur. A big dragon has just flown away from in front of her, an elf walks away towards a hobbit. She stands alone cold, wet, tired and hungry. Seeing the evening darken and afraid of being alone in the wilderness she meekly follows the odd couple to wherever they may go.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#860 Post by Marullus »

I understood Halfpint's post that she was emerging and rejoining Baxtaw and Foxy. Is the trio then going back to find Grizzly and Clay (and the six day trek back to town) or are you continuing on at your faster speed?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”