Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 202

#621 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint will attempt to scout, but she is certainly looking for the safest way out without getting cooked.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#622 Post by Valdus »

C'ang looks down the suggested pathways, winking at one and coughing at the other. “Milady I be lost all that could be mine to a bunch of devious little goblins while watchin’ out for human’s arses.” The dwarf does a stout squat while swinging his axe into attack position and back, then swings it to and fro like a pendulum.

“Half da words ya said I did not 'ear but I tell yer, if you tryin’ to convince meh to follow that dragon musk, maybe even lick some of that gold fillin’ me nostrils, den I yer axe!”

He smiles broadly, a wide joyous frown.

"Afte'oll, tis the only reason I stayed 'ere"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#623 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman says, "It is a choice that is not very good. Almost like a gamble. My gut tells me to take the back stairs and skip the dragon. But that must mean any of those goblins who survived the dragon thought the same thing. We already heard goblins in rooms up there anyway and I do not want to run into an ambush up there. Walking into big dragon breath or lots of goblins on the stairs amounts to much the same thing I figure."

She figures the party at least has enough time for Halfpint or whoever to scout one of the directions quickly and quietly, at least to judge whether the next few lengths of passage are safe.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#624 Post by Marullus »

Halfpint scouts the side passage, finding the interminable winding stairway shaft which you descended to the bottom of the mountain, at least eight or nine stories of curving steps ahead of you if you choose that way to return. It is dark and forboding, revealing little. Scouting up the main hallway, he proceeds out of sight of the others. Just past the side passage with the stairs he finds a set of finely-carved wooden doors on his right which lead into a derelict commercial hall, racks and racks of dwarven clothing arranged within, much of it tossed by the goblin plunderers into piles. There are no doors on that level on the left side. Proceeding further up, he finds where the dragonfire scorched out goblin dens - through now-destroyed doors on the left lies the smouldering remains of a spartan, unadorned chamber filled with the filth of goblin activity, doorways within the chamber leading left and straight to further in. The room is quiet but rank with the smell of broiled goblin corpses which litter the floor. On the right side, a broad archway opens to an industrial hall filled with the remains of dwarven workshops built like small huts along the long, dark chamber walls. Peering ahead, he sees the flooring becoming more worn - the main hold of the dwarfhome still above them.

Halfpint returns to the others to report her findings as the others supply their thoughts to Foxy. The decision now must be made.

Date: 4:00pm, 05 June 2021
Light: None
Spell effects: None
Injuries: Huckleberry (mortal injury), Halfpint (grevious injury), Grizzly Woman (grevious injury), Baxtaw (grevious injury), Foxy (moderate injury), Mors (mild injury)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#625 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman sits on her treasure chest and thinks hard about what choice to make. She tries a few different methods: plucking an armpit hair and waiting to see if it begins to itch; recalling whether she's passed a lone magpie in the past week; flipping a coin five times.

"I say we try the main corridor. There are places up there to hide, and we can still run for it back here if we need to."

(Egads this is tense.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#626 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay, who is now a Badger, works more on balancing on his hind legs while waiting for Halfpint. When she returns (hopefully with clothes for the naked dwarf), he listens to her report. He is relieved the back entrance seems clear for an escape. He reasserts his willingness to try passing through the mountain as well.

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#627 Post by Valdus »

C'ang sniffs and snags, unknown if he is looking for treasure or some bit of clothing to throw on his back. He awes at the devastation, grunting a bit satisfied and a bit sad at the burn marks and remains of the carnage. "Bravery burns hot," he mutters under his breath, an eye darting here and there.

OOC: C'ang will look for anything to wear, though does not seem very desperate about it. Armor being a prime.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#628 Post by Marullus »

The archway to the clothing store is within sight of the group. If they want to go there while Half-pint goes further on, that's fine. C'ang finds plenty of dwarf-like clothing in wools and leathers, all of excellent dwarvish make and much not sullied by the goblins. Go ahead and assemble a new outfit/look for him. He can find enough to count as Leather armor, but no true weapons or armor are there.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#629 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

how far down to the throne room? There was plenty of dwarf armor on the skeletons.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#630 Post by Marullus »

It's one turn per keep-level, each way.

[you are here]
Stairwell to sun farms/clothing stores --> melted gold doors/library --> chapel/hospital --> throne room/armor/treasure --> (catacombs)

So, turning around and going back down to the throne room to grab more stuff is fine. It takes you an hour and ten minutes to do so and return to this spot. (That's also four encounter checks.) You know the skeletons in the throne room wore good quality banded mail. The skeletons killed at the back door had damaged chainmail. Other items can be found, of course, in unexplored areas.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#631 Post by Starbeard »

Grizzle Miss suggests we leave it. Everyone ought to be able to buy whatever armour we want if we make it back with this treasure.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#632 Post by Stirling »

Foxy,

this place is much bigger than I thought. I was expecting a long passage way and then a courtyard by the palisade. Okay, rather than get stuck in twisting passages, unknown rooms and whatever. Foxy will vote for quickest way out into the open air and a reunion if any with the survivors. Not keen on an eight hour trek but in one way that may be safer to keep hidden.

Out the way we came in then?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#633 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman shrugs her consent. "We should send a quiet scout up the stairs first though. We will be making lots of noise with these heavy chests of coins."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#634 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint knows she must scout for them, and willingly agrees.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#635 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote:this place is much bigger than I thought. I was expecting a long passage way and then a courtyard by the palisade. Okay, rather than get stuck in twisting passages, unknown rooms and whatever.
]
Foxy's recollection hasn't been wrong thus far - it has been a long straight passage, and presumably continues. I am just describing the side passages / options.

If you want to skip the side doors and go straight for the exit, I can do that. If you want to hurry IC and make a break for it, you can go twice as fast but double your chance of being surprised.

If you go up the stairs instead, it is almost entirely without side passages until the top anyway.

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#636 Post by Valdus »

The rags soon come off the dwarf without a bit of humility whatover. He dons dark black leather armor, whispering in dwarven as if in some sort of prayer. Once the last bit of it is in place, he feels better, refreshed and ready for anything.

“Tis would be good to see the sky,” he remarks looking at the remains of the dwarven society. “Since I not share their love for the Unterlands. But if there is hellrings to pay, and loot for filling, I will follow!”

OOC: I confess the better mail is tempting, but perhaps not worth the three checks!

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#637 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Lets be off out of this place quickly.

I say we head to the top.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#638 Post by onlyme »

Dram wrote:Baxtaw- Lets be off out of this place quickly.

I say we head to the top.
Halfpint hopes the rest agree with this.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#639 Post by Starbeard »

I think that's our final choice. Up top, scouting ahead as we go, maybe a rearguard in case we're followed up the stairs. Grizzly will volunteer for that, since she's weighed down by her load anyway. Don't want her slowing the others in case we need to break for it.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#640 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Can we tell which direction the dragon was heading? In vs out of the mountain?

Clay joins the others as they file it of the mountain, staying somewhere in the middle of the group.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”