Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2

#581 Post by Marullus »

Yes. Florian is rested enough to re-memorize his spells, which might be an effect of the fountain or of time passing. Also, subtract two vials of oil - the one you spent right before the drink and another one now.

After recovering yourselves and feeling around in the dark to find and relight the lantern, the party assesses its condition. They do not seem to be pursued through the portcullis by kobolds or by Centions. They are alone in the unmarred chamber with the fountain. One hallway leads back, the other forward - at the end of the forward hallway is another lever-handled door, indicating it will be a one-way departure once again when they go.

Enjoy the RP here as long as you like, then we'll move ahead. :)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#582 Post by onlyme »

vials left marked down to 2... need to get out fairly soon...

Markd looks around, knowing there have been some awkward moments shared.
Umm, guys. Lets just get through this. Mr Bremen, we have some things to discuss once we are back toward Gaul.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#583 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen wakes with a start, instinctively reaching for his crossbow. He is relieved to see there are no centions in the chamber once the lamp is lit. He inspects his wounds carefully, noting a new hole in his leather pants and scar beneath it. He has no recollection of the wound occurring. his freshest memories are the nightmares he just experienced.

He looks up when Markd speaks. Captain. I may not live in the southlands any more, but I keep the rank I earned until I'm knighted. We'll have plenty of time to talk once we're out of this place, expect. How did we get past the gate, anyhow? Last I remember I was getting sliced up by one of those creatures. Nasty stuff. Glad I bought you all time enough to get us to safety though. Captain Bremen looks at the fountain and sniffs the water. Is this what cured us all? He fills his now-empty flask with the water, hoping it will act as a healing potion. He had planned to use the last one to keep Florian alive. Once filled, he stows it in his pack, checking on the treasure they had taken from the crypts.

Should we deduct any rations at this point?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#584 Post by Marullus »

Yes, deduct one ration.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#585 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

While rummaging through his pack, Captain Bremen takes out four rations and passes them around. Considering the comment, he watches to see if Markd is willing to break bread with him.

4 rations deducted from backpack, none of it Hippogryph. Not that Bremen has any with him, but he knows Irving was abstaining so i thought I'd point it out.

Encumbrance down to 76#.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#586 Post by onlyme »

Markd nods and speaks,
Captain Bremen, maybe that holy water has already started cleansing your soul. I'd be delighted to share a ration with you. But, let's hurry. We need to find what we are here for, and get out. we know there are several centions and kobolds looking to kill us. Oh, and be careful with that water. It is more powerful than we.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#587 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I've been poor and hungry. I've been a soldier. I've done what's needed to get by. Things in the past should stay there, damn it. Guilt is a distraction. It paralyses you as bad as a touch from a ghoul, Markd. That's when you get killed. I'm sorry for some thing's I've seen and done, but I'm alive, and I don't regret that. He looks around the room - the barred exit, the one-way-door leading to centions and kobolds, ... usually. But this is a forsaken place, I suppose. Rather be in a brothel. With that, he passes his wine skin around as well.

Wine deducted and filled with more of the water from the fountain. At least it's wet.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#588 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Once the wineskin has been passed around, Captain Bremen turns to Markd again. Say. Why the sudden interest in my soul, anyhow? Is it something to do with your fancy knife? Or did that voice get you to thinking? You entered the tunnel and it started shouting at you. All kinds of things.Bremen twists his mustache in his fingers a moment in thought. Doubter was one thing. Something about violating a trial of combat, too. And demon worship? Can't believe that you'd do something like that and get a job with the Archbishop though... But to each their own, I'd say. Except that bit about sacrificing children. I've seen the guilt that comes with hurting kids. Army mates, mind you. My conscience is clear of that. Is yours?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#589 Post by onlyme »

Markd shakes his head.
I dont know what half those accusations were. I guess we all have things in the past we regret. Anyway, everyone as ready as they can be? Let's find our item and get back to the priests.

He heads toward the door in the forward section. S'pose we should do this one?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#590 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen cinches his pack and loads his crossbow. I'd been holding out hope that those centions might be peacable with us, but it doesn't appear as such. Are we in agreement to attack any we see? Unless we can sneak past, I mean. He takes a deep, steadying breath before Markd attempts to open the door.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#591 Post by onlyme »

But, Of course.

Is all Markd can say. The Centions wanted them dead. That shouldnt change after a few hours (days) sleep.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#592 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Before opening the door, Bremen tries to clarify a few things. Can you tell if that knife of your working again? If so,
Maybe you and Irving take point. I'll use the crossbow to cover our backsides and Florian can stay in the middle and offer up any more of his insights.
Bremen pulls out his compass to see if it appears to be accurate.

Any updates to the map while we rest?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#593 Post by onlyme »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Before opening the door, Bremen tries to clarify a few things. Can you tell if that knife of your working again? If so,
Maybe you and Irving take point. I'll use the crossbow to cover our backsides and Florian can stay in the middle and offer up any more of his insights.
Bremen pulls out his compass to see if it appears to be accurate.

Any updates to the map while we rest?

Markd shakes his head. Cant tell. It feels like it has power, but I dont want to waste it until we need it." Map no update for a couple weeks, most likely. work too hectic.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#594 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I just meant mentioning it IC that Markd had done some work to update it. Not an actual map for player use, though it is appreciated when you do it, for sure!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#595 Post by onlyme »

Ahh... Markd quckly attempts to recollect the last hurried escapes and draw the map best he can.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#596 Post by Marullus »

Recovering themselves and discussing the tomb's revelations briefly, the party readies themselves to continue. They agree that centions should likely now be attacked and agree that Markd and Irving will take the lead with Bremen's crossbow and Florian in the rear. Florian carries the lantern to free Markd's hands for sword and shield.

They advance down the opposing passage and find the one-way door they spied before. Checking the compass they recognize they are moving back eastward, the opposite of the hallway they first entered before encountering the ghouls. Opening the door and peering through, they see they are back in the torchlit north/south hallway. They are exiting through a secret door, the Door of Strength on their same wall about 20' to their left and beyond it should be the chamber where they began. To their right is the wooden doorframe they noticed at the hallway's end. Across from them, continuing eastward, is a branch of the hallway, also torchlit. They see two doorless archways on the right side, one twenty feet down and the other about sixty feet down at the hallway's end. On the left side there is a set of wooden double doors about 40 feet down.

Date: Time unknown, 06 June 2021
Light: Lantern (2 hours, 50 mins remaining); Hallway torches
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: None

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#597 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Realizing they are so close to the exit, Bremen gets antsy. He whispers, I know we don't have the relic, but lets get out, get home and let the archbishop know what we've learned. I say we should head out of here if we can.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#598 Post by onlyme »

Markd shakes his head.We came for a job. We need to honor the process. Going back a 2nd time in a failed journey will leave a mark on our names, hmmm, even worse than we have already. as he rubs his forehead.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#599 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I appreciate your dedication, Markd, but we have no idea where this thing is. We've almost died a few times. The Archbishop needs to know what we know - that this holy place is infested with cention and there was demon worship here. Might still be.

Gaul is in danger. At least send them boys back to let folks know. Or to tell them we're alive. And make sure that halfling hasn't run off with our stuff.
Captain Bremen pauses. Anyhow, who's to say the relic ain't up there? It certainly wasn't with the ghouls.

Let's at least get Al back with us if we can find him. Maybe we can secure the tower part (from these tunnels) and search it? As for heading all the way to Gaul, I'd hate to lose Irving, so let's not do that. :P

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#600 Post by onlyme »

Markd reluctantly agrees.
ok, lets go see if we can find him. Hopefully, he is still just outside hiding.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”