Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2

#701 Post by onlyme »

Markd takes in the previous actions, and tries to unwind a bit from the chaotic last few minutes.
Mr Bremen, I am glad to see you are still with us. And no apologies necessary. I would have been ticked as well had the situation been reversed. I just wish I could have done something with the poor boy. Brother Florian, you have performed admirably. Say, did the two of you see anything while we were gone? Are there any signs of more of them stingers?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#702 Post by Marullus »

The party members breathe a sigh of relief and recover from their recent experiences. Guaire sits against the wall of the tower room, his head on his arms for a while, then goes down the ladder to the bottom floor to make sure the mounts are properly stabled -- the dead Centions on the floor are unnerving both to him and the beasts, so he works to drag them outside the tower door. Irving and Florian have started a warm fire in the second floor fireplace, but report no further sightings of the Kobolds or Centions in the intervening hours. Bremen asks Bandy for his story about dead centions, treasure and the gaping hole in the tower wall.

Bandy asks Florian for more prayers of healing, but the priest demurs. "I am afraid I must rest, but I can see to you in the morning after my supplications." He again reiterates his request that Neachdainn be properly interred.

Please discuss and decide your next direction. Also state any actions taken before the morning, assuming you stay until dawn for Florian to recoup spells.

Date: Time 2:10pm, 06 June 2021
Light: Sunlight
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Neachdainn (dead), Bremen (severely wounded), Bandy (minorly wounded), Florian (minorly wounded), Irving (minorly wounded)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#703 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Bremen offers Guaire his condolences. Never easy to lose a friend. Don't matter if it in the service of your Lord or your god or anything else. It just sucks. We tried to keep you two out of the way of these centions, but it didn't work out like that. But you two did a good job protecting the animals. Be proud of that. He lets silence take over as he begins the grueling task of dissecting the scorpion stinger carefully, trying to find the venom sack. He finds the task difficult, as if the poison somehow damaged the his fine motor coordination. If he can, he will fill the flask used for a healing potion with the deadly substance, then look for more vials to fill. If we can use this poison on our arrows, maybe we won't need to get close to those bastards any more. If time allows, he does a cursory inspection of the crates.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#704 Post by Alethan »

"Well..." Bandy begins as they sort through the crates, most of which Bandy has already explored, "I guess I should start in the tall grass, where I was waiting for you lot yesterday..."

"I wasn't doing nothin' but hanging out in the tall grass, watching the kobolds work the field while one of the Centions stood watch. Unfortunately, something saw ME! It was the young hippogryph from the top of the tower. The parents had gone out to hunt or something like that, and left it alone. It saw me and came down to investigate, I guess. I was able to befriend it, though, which was really cool! I fed it some dried beef. I was sure to use the dried beef and not our dried hippogryph from the other day. It was calm. And I thought we might be friends."

"But apparently the Cention noticed it and started heading over to investigate. They use hippogryph feathers for their arrows, anyway, so he probably figured he'd get an easy batch that way. I had no choice, though, so I stood and fired an arrow at the Cention. He fired back. We fired a few times and I hit him, so he charged us. The hippogryph fought him and helped me kill it. Then another fired arrows at the hippogryph and killed it, the poor thing! I ended up killing that cention on my own."

(OOC: those details are a bit fuzzy at this point... I'm pretty sure we killed two of them out there. Bandy and the baby Hip took out one, but I don't remember if the first one had a bow or not. I know the second one did, because it did kill the Hip with long black arrows.)

"I searched the bodies. Didn't find much of value, but I took one of the scimitars and went back to the boys and the animals. Told them to wait two days for us before returning to town and left the scimitar on Mitch (the pony). Went back to the tower and went inside. No more Centions had shown up at that point, and I found a bunch of the kobolds sleeping upstairs," he points to the floor above them.

"So I woke them all up and told them they were free! They all tore out of here faster'n you could say 'scorpion-man'! And then I started doing some exploring. I went down the ramp and found your handiwork with the other Cention you killed. And while I was snooping around down there, three more of them came around a corner! So I buggered on out of there and hid out on the second floor."

"Oh, I checked out the THIRD floor while I was there! I didn't go up all the way, but there's a SPECTER up there! Or at least some sort of partially visible guardian, pacing back and forth in glowing plate armour. I didn't say hi to him, but I wanted to. I figured I'd wait for the rest of you to show up before we did that."

"Anyway... the Centions eventually found out I was upstairs when they tried to check on the kobolds. They left me trapped up there for a while. I shot and killed a few of them with my bow. One was right through the eye into his brain, which was quite a nice shot, really. I was pleased. But then I got hit and wasn't doing so well, so I tried to lay low. But then I thought I might escape, so I used a metal bar to widen one of the arrow slits, which is what caused the damage up there. They stationed three centions outside to keep an eye on me and make sure I don't escape."

"Then this bigger Cention, some sort of clergyman maybe, shows up. He was like 'Come on down!' I was like 'No!' He was like 'You should come down now!' I was like 'No! Sod off!' Then he chants something for a bit and it all goes dark! And then someone starts chucking burning oil through the trap door. So I hid in the fireplace, because that's the safest place to hide from a fire when there isn't a fire in the fire place! But it burned out and I was left in the dark for a while. Eventually the darkness went away and they tried to get me down again. I was fighting with one of them and he hit me with an arrow and... then it all went dark until I woke up with Florian praying over me."

"I don't right know just how many of them I've killed while you were gone, but... maybe 5 or 6 in all?"

Bandy finally goes quiet, but only because he's eating some of the dried hippogryph meat he pulled from his pony's pack.

"So what's the plan?" he asks between bites.

OOC: I'm not exactly sure how accurate the second half of the story is, either, but it's close...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#705 Post by onlyme »

Markd suggests,
"Well, I was thinking we should hole up here the night to let everyone rest. But, if you are saying a ghost is above us, not sure I like the sound of that without some serious guarding going on.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#706 Post by Alethan »

Bandy shrugs, "He seemed... well, not harmless. But maybe like he couldn't leave that room. So harmless as long as we don't disturb him. I wonder if he is guarding something... Oh, maybe he's guarding that thing we're looking for? Oh! Did you guys find it?? Let's see it!!"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#707 Post by onlyme »

Markd just shook his head.
not yet. We'd already be heading back I reckon. But ok. Let's stay put and rest. I'll take the first watch when ready.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#708 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

We didn't find much but death in those tunnels. Ghouls, skeletons and a super-ghoul. Killed that one myself with the crossbow. Captain Bremen smiles at the memory of smashing the creature's skull repeatedly with the magical weapons they found. The ghouls had been high ranking clergy of Baudh, it seems. Turned bad, it seems. And one of them was buried with. Well. A portal to hell, it looked like. Florian has that still, right? Bremen looks the cleric for confirmation. The whole mess was touch and go from the start. That cention didn't stand a chance, but everything else down there... If we hadn't stuck together we'd be cold and dead, like poor 'Neach. Still need to bury the poor kid. He nods at Florian to let him know the task isn't forgotten. Anyhow even if we don't get the relic, we're going to earn a hefty pat on the back for finding all this stuff and giving the portal to the Bishop, I expect. But I bet that the spectre is guarding our target. Best to send Florian and Markd up to parlay. Maybe we won't need to exorcise it. Then, remembering the twisted clergy in the basement, he adds, Shit. You don't think it's going to be like the rest of the clergy we found, do you? That'd be just our luck.

As the conversation roams, Captain Bremen shows off the magical warhammer to Guaire and Bandy. Clearly proud of his new weapon, which is sure to earn him notoriety in Gaul as one of Baudh's strongest. When that is done, he rises, offering to start digging a hole for 'Neach on the edge of the gardens, Unless you prefer a cairn, or something, Florian. Or do you think, if we get the relic, the Bishop will revive him? It's gotta be worth the cost, I'd wager.

Does Florian know if the Bishop has the power (is high enough level) to resurrect someone?
Does Florian think the Bishop would he be willing in exchange fro the relic? Neach was killed by a twisted version of a Baudhish Cleric, while on a mission from Baudh.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#709 Post by onlyme »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: Best to send Florian and Markd up to parlay. .

I dont mind going, but I aint much help in negotiations. This damned mark will turn even the most sympathetic against me.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#710 Post by Alethan »

"I can go up with Florian to talk to it, if you want. Maybe best if a true follower is part of the party, regardless of who goes. In any case, I don't know if he's guarding it or something else, but... He doesn't seem like an undead priest turned foul. Just more like a perpetual guardian."

Then Bandy turns to Florian, "I'll help inter Neach as well. Just tell us what you'd prefer we do."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#711 Post by Marullus »

I'm unclear. What actions are decided here?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#712 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sounds as if we are resting for the night. But if it is possible to bury Neech safely, we can do that with the remaining daylight; the garden should be easy digging and we can put rocks on top to dissuade scavengers. Or a funeral pyre, if Florian is okay with that since it would prevent any undeath.

Bremen wanted to know the likelihood of Neach being resurrected though. He's an NPC on a mission from Baudh, killed by a Baudhic cleric, albeit a twisted one. Bremen is thinking maybe that earns the kid a break, especially since it's an NPC. Maybe it would cost Neach a lifetime of service to the church, but it'd be better than death.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#713 Post by Marullus »

Raise Dead requires a level 9 cleric - it is fair to assume that any Bishop (leading a stronghold and having followers) could potentially call upon this capability. The temple of Gwanwen talks openly of their conditions for this service; it is also known that the Church of Baudh does not, and conditions under which the deity allows the faithful to leave his realm to return are strict.

You need to decide if you bury him or haul him back. (He's 170lbs of cargo, currently.) When you get back, you can plead your case to the Bishop (i.e. CHA check). Whichever course you choose has ramifications, so make your best IC decision. :)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#714 Post by onlyme »

Markd agrees to help bury the boy, assuming the lighting conditions are adequate for safely doing so.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#715 Post by Alethan »

Bandy's question was whether Florian's intention was to bury the boy outside in the ground or if he wanted to do something inside with him, if there were tombs or whatever below the tower. Sorry if that was confusing.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#716 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:Bandy's question was whether Florian's intention was to bury the boy outside in the ground or if he wanted to do something inside with him, if there were tombs or whatever below the tower. Sorry if that was confusing.

Actually, I was just making up an IC post. I personally dont care what happens to the boy, but thought since he was poisoned... cutting him up and making jerky would have been in poor taste. ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#717 Post by Marullus »

Okay, so you spend the evening dealing with Florian's remains then we pass the night to take action in the morning.

Do you choose to bury Florian in the garden outside, put him in the interior tombs below (where the ghouls were found), hope you find different interior tombs, or wrap it for transport back to town? Florian is fine with any of them. If the group dithers, then Markd decides.

In the morning, do you intend to go up into the tower with the spectral knight or down below to explore (and which way)?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#718 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:Okay, so you spend the evening dealing with Florian's remains... Florian is fine with any of them.
Such a congenial cleric. He's willing to be buried alive! :P

If a funeral pyre is kosher, that is Bremen's choice. I assume it's okay. That's how we dealt with Brother Kells' corpse to prevent him becoming an undead warrior later.

And I believe we are heading to the tower. All of us together. We'll let Florian and Irving lead the way though,
so Irving can be his charming self and Florian can look pious and lend credibiltiy to our cause. Maybe we can bring the spectre home with us!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#719 Post by onlyme »

Markd agrees to do the pyre approach, not wanting to see another ghoul. He makes sure any valuables Neachdainn might have had have been given to his friend.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#720 Post by Alethan »

Heading to the tower? We are IN the tower I believe. The choices are up to the specter or down. There are lots of options if we go down - maybe try the specter first? If that doesn't yield anything, then we try down. Thoughts?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”