Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2

#561 Post by onlyme »

Markd tries to be confident, unsure though if that is the right approach.
"I do not need to ask the motivations of a true follower of the mighty Baudh, as I am sure he would not do something to bring dishonor without justification. Let us enter.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#562 Post by Marullus »

The Centions try to reach in, finding themselves frustrated. Two guards remain while one departs - you hear banging sounds in the hallway beyond for a moment. Irving takes the moment to stabilize Bremen.

The voice disapproves of Markd's answer. "You take responsibility for his actions when you defend his honor. The blood of sacrificed children is on your soul. Unrepentant and vile! Go no further, Unworthy!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#563 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bad luck that! But I think it is telling that they aren't likely to take us as prisoners at this point. ;)

I am pretty sure that Bremen is the evil one mentioned, that being his alignment. But which character has violated the combat trial? Which has sacrificed a child? Who has been practicing demon-worship? Quite the set of us!

There are still 2 sips of healing potion left in the vial, if that would bring Bremen around to the land of the awake.

3 quarrels deducted (for the ghoul, sending one into this area and then firing at the centions) - let me know if you think I should have deducted more. I believe he recovered all quarrels used against the hippogryphs.
Last edited by Marullus on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tag. Keep reveals IC. :)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#564 Post by onlyme »

Markd is the doubter, no doubt...
and possibly unrepentant.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#565 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Well tell the voice if it doesn't want us helping with this mission, it can damn-well teleport us back to safety, away from these centions. If,
however, it wants the will of the archbishop performed, then this is what it gets. ;)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#566 Post by onlyme »

Markd looks toward the voice., as his hand holds tight to the dagger in case of an attack.
I swore I'd return with a particular artifact to help build the church at Gaul. A worthier mission for those who attempt to emulate Cafreya and Gundrat, I cannot fathom. I ask your assistance in that quest, and we will be on our way.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#567 Post by Marullus »

Markd continues to argue with the voice, the portcullis ahead remaining barred to him. "Beings of hubris, forbidden my realms! You too claim to be all-seeing? To have the wisdom of the Gods?" the voice responds as Markd invokes the names. "Absolution is for those contrite before me, accepting of true justice. Unworthy! Unrepentant! Flee before me, as you shall not advance! You bear the sins of complicitness, you are your brother's keeper, and the blood of children is on your hands. Your honor duel violated, you murder to hide sin. Justice sees you, justice is not blinded by your complicities! You shall not pass!"

Bremen stabilized, Irving and Florian flank him in the narrow crawlspace, watching nervously at the pacing Cention beyond. After a few moments, the other two Centions return with several more of their kind and a handful of kobolds. The Kobolds gleefully watch from the entryway and report your trapped status. The three new Centions bend low, angling crossbows into the crawlspace and firing in at you. The bolts ricochet through the cramped chamber - it is hard for them to miss. One bolt ruptures Bremen's thigh while the other catches Florian in the side, the priest swooning from the bloodloss as well. Irving works hard to stem the bleeding of both unconscious companions while the Centions reload and the kobolds cackle gleefully. "Hurry!" yells Irving at Markd.

Date: 3:10 am, 06 June 2021
Light: Markd's lantern (until 3:20am)
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Bremen (dying), Florin (dying), Markd (moderate injury), Irving (minor injury)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#568 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ugh! Try telling the voice we'll stand for the trial to repent? I don't know of any trial by combat we have skirted. Bremen would be happy for one rather than acting like a pin cushion. Maybe have Irving and Florian pile our packs up as a shield, too.

Marullus, does Florian have any knowledge about this voice? And how to pursued it? He is supposed to help us, I thought... :?

Or... Have threaten to have Florian open a portal to hell and let a few demons loose if we aren't allowed through. Or try forcing the gate. Something.

Captain Bremen gasps in his sleep as the shaft sinks deep into his thigh.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#569 Post by Marullus »

Florian is now unconscious as well. He HAS given help and clues as you've come along this hallway and its purposeful rooms. Everything the voice is saying is relevant to at least one PC in the group; you've got some interesting backstories. :D You can deal with what you heard IC and learned about each other when you've survived... Remember that Markd has a Glyph of Repugnance placed on his forehead by a Deity; nobody ever asked why. 8-)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#570 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

But Bremen doesn't want to die!!!! He's too pretty! (Not like that Markd guy.) :P

At current count, Irving saved us all once. Then Bremen did from those ghouls. Then Florian did with that scroll.
Markd's turn, dude. Either force the gate or make a deal to save us. I've got a thief that is almost ready to learn to read magic (and cast spells). But no pressure. :lol:

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#571 Post by onlyme »

sorry at a business meeting for most of dsy. Will post later.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#572 Post by onlyme »

Markd realizes finally that it was not his own brother that the voice was referencing. It was Bremen. He attempts one last plea.

I do not condone these men's actions or inactions, nor what may reside in their hearts. If we are allowed to pass, to attempt to restore the church at Gaul with the item they need to strengthen their power over the evil men and heartless elves, then i will bring this man to justice before the priest. No one is above the law, and I will honor this pledge with my life.

edit to add after thinking more about this- (if not too late...)

Markd follows by saying, " I needed help in fulfilling this task. I didnt ask questions that I probably should have. Sometimes, like many, I assume the ends justified the means and that the priests in Gaul would understand. I have also doubted their wisdom, sending me into places with but little help from the church that it required using unchurchlike methods to continue. For all of those I am sorry.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#573 Post by Marullus »

Tensions rising as the kobolds jeer behind you, the Centions reloading their crossbows, two of the party members wounded and unconscious with only Irving to keep them on the brink of death. Markd defends himself by casting aspersions at his companions and promising to prosecute the unconscious Bremen when they return to town. The portcullis remains closed for an uncomfortable moment while the voice is silent... clearly expecting more. After that moment, Markd confesses, addressing some of the shortcomings the voice has chastised him for. "For all of those I am sorry," he concludes.

Almost as if he has spoken a magic word, the portcullis rumbles open. "Seek your fate at the fountain of absolution," the voice intones calmly. Markd and Irving are able to pull the prostrate forms of Bremen and Florian through the narrow entryway, crawling with them over the jagged flooring. The kobolds begin screaming their warning to the Centions as they hop up and down but do not pursue you into the low crawlspace. The portcullis drops back into place just after you pass, dividing you from your pursuers for the moment.

You find a hallway where you can stand upright, which 30' onward opens into a large round room 50 feet across with an unadorned domed ceiling. The center of the room is a white marble fountain which burbles and dances with flowing, clear water. With the last flickerings of Markd's lantern light, you see that a similar matching hallway departs from the opposite side of the room.

Date: 3:20 am, 06 June 2021
Light: Markd's lantern (until 3:20am)
Injuries: Bremen (dying), Florin (dying), Markd (moderate injury), Irving (minor injury)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#574 Post by onlyme »

Markd will quickly refill his lantern, ask Irving to bind or otherwise assist the others, and then go to the fountain for his fate.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#575 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Nice work! Apologizing is definitely not what would have come to Captain Bremen's​ mind.
:P Living might be enough to make Bremen change the course of his life though, I suppose. He'd give it a shot, at any rate.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#576 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Question redacted.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#577 Post by Marullus »

Lets keep the game at the table. This sort of thing should elbe asked and answered IC.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#578 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I redacted the question since it was purely​ academic. Bremen is unconscious and would not have that information to ask.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#579 Post by Marullus »

Markd refills his lantern while Irving pours water into the mouths of Bremen and Florian, the injuries on their unconscious bodies mending. Irving and Markd then both drink from the fountain themselves, the water cool, refreshing, and pure. Their injuries also begin to mend as they are flushed with health, the Fountain of Absolution restoring their bodies just as they are overcome and collapse to the ground next to their companions. Their minds and souls are overcome by hallucinations as they relive the blame-filled moments of their lives, their bodies convulsing and weeping uncontrollably as they are wracked with the pain and grief induced by quaffing the liquid.

The room is dark when they regain themselves, the new vial of oil in the lantern long-since spent. All members of the party are healed and awaken but were wracked by their own personal guilt and remorse. All is silent in the darkness.

Date: Time unknown, 06 June 2021
Light: None
Injuries: None

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#580 Post by onlyme »

Other than knowing the time elapsed is at least one oil lamps's worth... would we know if we "rested" long enough to regenerate the cleric's healing, etc?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”