Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2

#1001 Post by onlyme »

Isn't there a magician that removes curses in forgmortin ford? If we are there we can pay him??
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1002 Post by Marullus »

onlyme wrote:Isn't there a magician that removes curses in forgmortin ford? If we are there we can pay him??
Yes.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1003 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks Onlyme! I knew I was missing something. But 600gp!? Steep. Maybe the necklace is worry that much..

Captain Bremen, suddenly remembering tales of the local wizard, scratches the name Pierpont in the dirt, grabbing Irving and Bandy's shirts, urging them to go with him. He does his best the get to the mage's tower, hoping someone comes with him to explain the group has plenty of gold, but little time.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#1004 Post by Alethan »

Bandy runs to Pierpoint and grabs his sleeve. "Help! We have a cursed magic item trying to kill my friend! HELP. US."He is frantic to get the wizard's assistance.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#1005 Post by Alethan »

Also, Bandy selects the Ward vs Undead scroll as his next item.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1006 Post by Marullus »

The party rushes Bremen the short distance to Pierpont's tower, but even that is too far. Bremen is choked unconscious before you arrive, his face an unfortunate shade of purple.

Bandy pleads for assistance and the group hands over an electrum armband, with electrum accents and set with 3 Red Garnets to pay the Wizard's fee. He works with precision to invoke the magical nullification required and the necklace finally loosens. Florian prays over Bremen's torpid body until he is recovered enough to regain consciousness.

"It is a dangerous thing, playing with unknown magics. You likely could have saved yourselves considerable funds and trouble by having me inspect your wares before trying them on," comments the wizard. "where DID you acquire this necklace,
exactly? It is marked by a very jealous and jilted woman's soul."
He hands the necklace back to Bremen. "I wouldn't recommend wearing it again."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1007 Post by Marullus »

Final Magic items.

- Golden dagger of Healing (Markd) "Golden Blade of Baudhon." Unestimable. Imbued (divine). +1 bonus.
- Warhammer of Baudh (Bremen) 16,001xp. Imbued. +2, +3 vs undead.
- Florian's flail (Florian) "Flail of Gundrat the Luminescent." 64,000xp. Imbued. +2 bonus.
- iron-banded quarterstaff, worn from heavy use (Markd) "Cathalon's Staff." 128,001xp. Imbued. +3 bonus.
- Cention Scimitar (Irving) 4,001xp. Imbued. +1 bonus.
- Cention whip (Irving)4,001xp. Imbued. No bonus.
- cat-hilted dagger (Bandy) Unestimable. Created.

All Scrolls: Inestimable. Created.
- Scroll - Ward vs Magic (Bremen)
- Scroll - Ward vs Undead (Bandy)
- Scroll (Florian) - Clerical: Striking (3rd), True Seeing (5th)
- Scroll (Florian) - Clerical: Hold Person (2nd)
- Scroll (Florian) - Clerical: Holy Word (7th), Wind Walk (7th), Cure Serious Wounds (4th), Bless (2nd), Purify Food and Drink (1st)
- Scroll (Florian) - Clerical: Detect Evil (1st), Commune (5th), Quest (5th)

- small black cube, two inches on each side (Markd)Inestimable. Created.
- royal scepter studded with gems (Irving) "Scepter of Eadcen the Divine" Inestimable. Created.
- small bronze statuette of an imperious griffin (Bandy) Inestimable. Created.
- onyx carving of a wolf sniffing the ground (Irving) Inestimable. Created.
- short obsidian wand with an adamantine handle affixed to the end (Bandy) Inestimable. Created.
- a long bronze chime with a leather cord to suspend it (Bremen) Inestimable. Created.

- brilliant-cut black gem on a delicate silver chain (Irving)Inestimable. Created.
- breathtaking ruby necklace string with fillagreed gold chain (Bremen) 2,001xp. Imbued.
- a pair of knee-high boots of rough leather sized for a large human (Markd) 4,001xp. Imbued.
- a patchwork beggar's cloak with a hood (Bandy)2,001xp. Imbued.

- massive tome bound in leather with a golden latch (Bremen) "The Life-work of Cafreya the All-Seeing." 128,001xp. Imbued (Divine).
- abnormally thick book titled "A Lifetime of Service: Reflections of the Chief Justice of the Yoldessi Plains and the Wisdom of Baudhon." (Markd)16,001xp. Imbued (Divine). [/quote]

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1008 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Would've been cheaper...

As to the last scrolls, Bremen was actually pointing at the ward vs magic thinking someone might save his life. I hadn't intended that as a pick, as he would have preferred the ward vs Undead, considering where he'll be living. If Bandy is up for a swap, great. If not, that's okay too.

Bremen thanks the mage, and then asks if he would consider keeping the necklace as payment, maybe even using it as payment to uncurse Bandy's dagger. Your curse removal is only temporary? he asks with a raspy voice.

On the way back, he thanks his companions for helping him to Pierpont's.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1009 Post by onlyme »

How do y'all want to handle the 600 payment for that? Does it come from Bremen's share, or do we split it amongst the 5 of us?

Markd stays away from the magic man, best he can. He prepares for the visit to the priest and proceeds straight there once in town.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1010 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen would love it if you all split it with him.

That said, if it was you, Bremen would say that you own the problem, so you pay for it. :P

It also leaves us with the issue of Bandy's cursed knife. If we pay for Bremen, we should also pay for Bandy. And then, if anything else is cursed,
they shouldn't we come back and pool resources to pay for that person's cursed item as well? (for 600 gp, we probably could have had most of the items scanned for curses/effects. :rolleyes: )

WIS 6 FTW!!!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#1011 Post by Alethan »

OOC: IC, Bandy doesn't know the item is negatively cursed. He'll have to enter real combat first before he figures that out. I'll just play it by ear.
No worries.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#1012 Post by Alethan »

onlyme, what's the final treasure split, then?

And I'm not sure about the 600gp cost for the Remove Curse spell. I think next time we just pay someone out of the initial treasure take to ID the items as much as possible so we don't run into this sort of issue again.

I suppose Bandy might chip in some towards the fee, but likely not 25%. He's not going to ask anyone for help/coin in removing the cursed dagger, when it comes to it, either.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1013 Post by Marullus »

Alethan wrote:OOC: IC, Bandy doesn't know the item is negatively cursed. He'll have to enter real combat first before he figures that out. I'll just play it by ear.
No worries.
I allowed the roleplay above when Bandy was sparring with Bremen - I'm fine with you already knowing about the dagger's problems. The same offer stands from Pierpont: For 600gp, he can remove the attachment to Bandy but the knife remains enchanted and if ever drawn again will reinstitute itself upon the bearer.

Pierpont considers the necklace and scratches his chin. "I'm sure you understand; there's very little resale market for cursed items. I'll give you half my normal amount for it, purely for magical curiosity... 10 platinum pieces." You consider, figuring you could melt it down for about 20gp in metal with the usurer but the fear of cursed gemstones from it would probably dissuade any buyers from that. Otherwise, you could likely get more from a merchant if you found one interested in unsavory wares. (An assassin necklace has appeal only in the darkest corners of the Southland Kingdoms...)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1014 Post by Marullus »

Proposed non-magical division:
Florian- skull, justice scales, 49 gp (what the DM wants, he gets )
Irving- 2200 in art (900 plat ring set, 1300 sceptor) and 49 gp
Bandy - 500 bracelet, 800 spiral horn---750 pearl and 199 gp
Bremen - 600 armband, 700 breastplate, 10 copper circlet--- 50/75/100 gems and 714 gp
Markd - 800 hounds, 400 horse--- 1000 moonstone, 49 gp

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1015 Post by onlyme »

Marullus wrote:Proposed non-magical division:
Florian- skull, justice scales, 49 gp (what the DM wants, he gets )
Irving- 2200 in art (900 plat ring set, 1300 sceptor) and 49 gp
Bandy - 500 bracelet, 800 spiral horn---750 pearl and 199 gp
Bremen - 600 armband, 700 breastplate, 10 copper circlet--- 50/75/100 gems and 714 gp
Markd - 800 hounds, 400 horse--- 1000 moonstone, 49 gp

so options are:
Leave as is...
Switch the 900 plat ring for 700 breastplate and 200 gp between Irving and Bremen (since DM mentioned irving wanting that breastplate, and it would be better encumbrance for Bremen)
Reshuffle the deck to lower everyone's take by 120 to cover the armband's amount to the haul.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#1016 Post by Alethan »

OOC:
I think we should have ID'd the items ahead of time. If we had, we would have removed the two (??) cursed items from the list of items to pick from. Since we didn't, I think we're on our own to deal with them.

Consider the opposite - what if one of the items we've not ID'd turns out to be some amazing artifact or item, worth 100x more than all of the other items. Are we going to go back and re-shuffle all of the picked items to accommodate the one person's better fortune? Just the bad luck of the draw is what I'm writing it down to.

Also, I just remembered... Bandy picked up 24 hippogriff talons and feathers during the last trip...

While they are visiting Pierpont, Bandy offers up the hippogriff talons and feathers for sale.

OOC: I'd be OK with using any profit from the hippogriff feathers/talons to go towards both curse removals.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1017 Post by Marullus »

Pierpont is willing to purchase the Hippogriff talons and feathers for 80 platinum pieces. (160gp each)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#1018 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:Pierpont is willing to purchase the Hippogriff talons and feathers for 80 platinum pieces. (160gp each)
Done.

Then, as much as he hates to part with it, Bandy offers his adamantine bracelet and 100gp for Pierpont to remove the cursed enchantment of the cat-head dagger.

(But I'll handle the accounting for that after onlyme posts a final tally of everyone's non-magical treasure shares.

Sorry, Rusty, I think we should be responsible for our own cursed items. But... think about it this way... 600gp is cheap for the life of a PC! ;) )

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1019 Post by onlyme »

ok... It is up to Bremen then whether he wants the breastplate and 200 extra gp or the 900 platinum ring set ...

The rest should stay static...
thanks

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1020 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen prefers the platinum ring set, giving him a final tally of:

900 plat ring set
10 copper circlet
blue azurite (50 GP)
murky black pearl (75 GP)
large pink rhodochrosite (100 GP)
514 gp

Warhammer of Baudh (Bremen) 16,001xp. Imbued. +2, +3 vs undead
Scroll - Ward vs Magic
long bronze chime with a leather cord to suspend it
breathtaking ruby necklace string with fillagreed gold chain
massive tome bound in leather with a golden latch (Bremen) "The Life-work of Cafreya the All-Seeing."

I am totally fine having Bremen cover the cost of his own cursed item.

Bremen will leave the Bronze chime with Pierpont, hoping to discover something of their secrets. He will leave 100 gp to start with (2 weeks). He asks if Pierpont is interested in any dried hippogryff meat.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”