Special Event: The Greenleaf Festival - 01 June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Special Event: The Greenleaf Festival - 01 June 2021

#101 Post by Marullus »

Wary of another blow, Bandy dodges Momont's next strikes. The knight circles, all business in his expression, trying to adjust to the shorter height.

Mormont [1d20] = 2 [1d8+2] = 4+2 = 6 init [1d6] = 4

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#102 Post by Alethan »

Bandy Sandybanks

Thinking he might not be done just yet, Bandy tries to take advantage of Mormont's hesitation...

Init [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4, To Hit [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16, Damage [1d8+1] = 4+1 = 5
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Marullus »

Mormont seems impressed as the halfling is still standing, and also fighting back solidly. Bandy lands a firm hit while dodging Momont's blows.

Mormont [1d20] = 6 [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10 init [1d6] = 4

HP's:
Mormont: -5
Bandy -10

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#104 Post by Alethan »

Bandy Sandybanks

Encouraged by his last hit, Bandy seems to rally his attack...

Init [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5, To Hit [1d20+1] = 10+1 = 11, damage [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Marullus »

Mormont takes Bandy's blow, seeming to nod in affirmation before coming around with a finishing blow of his own in the Halfling's ribs.

Sir Albrecht raises his hand, "Mormont wins! Our human champions remain ascendant in Gaul! His title remains until the Mid-Summer's feast." The crowds gather around and congratulate all of the combatants for their mettle.

Mormont [1d20] = 18 [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7 init [1d6] = 4

(Happy Thanksgiving! I will assign RP awards to all participants later when I get some time. Feel free to freeform RP, then we'll move to the storytelling by Clay.)

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#106 Post by Fidget76 »

A tall blonde man walks into the festival. His eyes wide with wonderment as he looks at the festivities around him. Clearly he has not seen such a large gathering of people merely taking part in a festival.

He is wearing armor engraved with a birch leaf in a circle, a large flail is strapped to his side and a hawk perches on his shoulders, its head constantly looking about. Like the man, the bird seems amazed at the goings on around him.

The traveller stops at a food stall and grabs some roasted meat and a cup of wine.

He notices that a story competition is about to begin. Stories are a big part of his traditions so he makes his way to the designated area and waits to hear the tales from places he's not yet been. The man feeds the hawk pieces of the roast meat while they wait.

Happy Thanksgiving to all the American players! Have fun at Black Friday!!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

Dram wrote:Neegan Battleworx- Enters the tourney area watching the fight. Wearing Scale mail and battleaxe Aye this be looking a good battle. Neegan upset that he was late on arriving. This would of been a good place to show my skills Ah durnit theres next year. I'm here to adventure and make some coin.
Moving forward a lost introduction. :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#108 Post by Alethan »

Bandy Sandybanks

Bandy collapses as Mormont's sword knocks him hard in the ribs, the diminutive fighter finally beaten.

Once he has recovered, he walks proudly over to Mormont and shakes his hand, offering, "Well done, Mormont. I thought that first blow was going to do me in for sure. You pack quite a punch, sir."

He then goes around and gives all of the competitors hearty handshakes and congratulations on good fights.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay Weatherwax grew increasingly nervous as the day of the festival passed. He had envisioned sharing stories with friends at a campfire, not the entire town. But he decided to make the most of it, finally deciding to tell the story of the Count's Children.

With the sun low in the sky and most of the town well intoxicated, Clay sat on a stool on the stage. The young druid of Beith did not cut an impressive figure. Average height with a scrawny body, all covered by robes. His bull mastiff, Morr, sat at his feet, giving him some comfort. He cleared his throat and started his tale.

Long ago, there was a Count who lived on the edge of the Midnight Forest. He had six sons, and each was more vain and greedy than the next. Even their wet-nurses said so, but only in whispers when they were sure it was safe to do so.

As they grew, so did their greed and vanity, and on the youngest’s 14th birthday, they were sent on a hunt. They were after a pure-white fox – an albino – that had been caught by the Count’s kennelmaster. Anyhow, this fox was set loose on the morning of the 14th birthday, like I said, and the Count’s children set their dogs loose and followed on their horses. And it was important to them to not look like fools, but it was even more important to the fox that he escape to live another day. And with his life on the line, he ran through logs, streams, into skunk holes, climbed a couple trees... You name a trick and that fox did it. And them dogs, the count's son and his mates just couldn't gain ground on it.

And as I said, those children wanted to seem important, so they stayed out, chasing that fox for hours and hours, heading deeper and deeper into the Midnight Forest. And with the sun down and the full moon up, those kids finally caught up to that old fox. It was sitting in the middle of a circle of standing stones, in a toadstool patch. But the Count’s children were so loud that that fox saw them coming and of course it ran away as quick as it could, leaving those noble born children in the middle of a sacred spot of Beith.

But they were so mad by that time that they... well... they passed their water all over the toadstools and stones. And they started getting drunk and set to knocking over some of the ancient stones. And they passed out right in the stones and had terrible dreams.

They woke the next morning and found their horses were all dead, ripped to shreds by some foul beasts. At first they were scared a bit, but then they remembered who they were and got puffed up with pride, knowing no beast would dare try to hurt them, because they were so important. Still, it was a long walk home.

The months passed after that, and every full moon some horses, cows, sheep and whatnot were getting killed by something. So the Count had his guards set traps, but they got killed too. So he called in a wise, old woman of the town who identified the deaths having been caused by werewolves. And she told the Count and his advisers that the only way to kill a werewolf is with silver weapons, so the Count had all his silver smithed into arrows, axes, swords and the like. And he set up a trap. A fine trap.

And the next full moon, six werewolves descended on a herd of cows, all tethered in a field. The Count’s men lit fires to hem the lycanthropes in and attacked with their silvery weapons. And when they was done, the werewolves changed back to their human form, revealing the Count’s own six children. The same children that had upturned sacred stones a year before, incurring the wrath of the goddess, Beith. The Count and his wife were sick with grief. And within the month, each had taken their own life. All on account of their children having no respect and incurring the wrath of Beith.

And I'll let Marullus narrate the crowd's reaction. :?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Marullus »

The day's festivities winding down, Clay relates his tale.
Reaction [4d6] = 13

The children gather around and listen raptly, gasping in appreciation at the dramatic moments. The parents applaud politely while the nobles and clergy of Baudh just look uncomfortable.

"A cautionary tale indeed, and a new one to the folk, I suspect," says Wilhelm the Sage to break the moment. "New tales, however, are always rewarded. Thank you for your gift to the festival," he smiles. No others come forward to add their tales and he hands over the sack of silver coins for the prize.

Shortly thereafter, the musicians take up their role and jaunty jigs and two-steps have the country-loving townsfolk on their feet. The party continues into the wee hours before folk head to their beds.

I'll leave the thread open for anyone who wants to use the space for final freeform RP or to meet other PCs. It is a good place to set impressions of your character. When it lags off, I'll close and archive it.

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#111 Post by Fidget76 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Clay Weatherwax grew increasingly nervous as the day of the festival passed. He had envisioned sharing stories with friends at a campfire, not the entire town. But he decided to make the most of it, finally deciding to tell the story of the Count's Children.

With the sun low in the sky and most of the town well intoxicated, Clay sat on a stool on the stage. The young druid of Beith did not cut an impressive figure. Average height with a scrawny body, all covered by robes. His bull mastiff, Morr, sat at his feet, giving him some comfort. He cleared his throat and started his tale.

Long ago, there was a Count who lived on the edge of the Midnight Forest. He had six sons, and each was more vain and greedy than the next. Even their wet-nurses said so, but only in whispers when they were sure it was safe to do so.

As they grew, so did their greed and vanity, and on the youngest’s 14th birthday, they were sent on a hunt. They were after a pure-white fox – an albino – that had been caught by the Count’s kennelmaster. Anyhow, this fox was set loose on the morning of the 14th birthday, like I said, and the Count’s children set their dogs loose and followed on their horses. And it was important to them to not look like fools, but it was even more important to the fox that he escape to live another day. And with his life on the line, he ran through logs, streams, into skunk holes, climbed a couple trees... You name a trick and that fox did it. And them dogs, the count's son and his mates just couldn't gain ground on it.

And as I said, those children wanted to seem important, so they stayed out, chasing that fox for hours and hours, heading deeper and deeper into the Midnight Forest. And with the sun down and the full moon up, those kids finally caught up to that old fox. It was sitting in the middle of a circle of standing stones, in a toadstool patch. But the Count’s children were so loud that that fox saw them coming and of course it ran away as quick as it could, leaving those noble born children in the middle of a sacred spot of Beith.

But they were so mad by that time that they... well... they passed their water all over the toadstools and stones. And they started getting drunk and set to knocking over some of the ancient stones. And they passed out right in the stones and had terrible dreams.

They woke the next morning and found their horses were all dead, ripped to shreds by some foul beasts. At first they were scared a bit, but then they remembered who they were and got puffed up with pride, knowing no beast would dare try to hurt them, because they were so important. Still, it was a long walk home.

The months passed after that, and every full moon some horses, cows, sheep and whatnot were getting killed by something. So the Count had his guards set traps, but they got killed too. So he called in a wise, old woman of the town who identified the deaths having been caused by werewolves. And she told the Count and his advisers that the only way to kill a werewolf is with silver weapons, so the Count had all his silver smithed into arrows, axes, swords and the like. And he set up a trap. A fine trap.

And the next full moon, six werewolves descended on a herd of cows, all tethered in a field. The Count’s men lit fires to hem the lycanthropes in and attacked with their silvery weapons. And when they was done, the werewolves changed back to their human form, revealing the Count’s own six children. The same children that had upturned sacred stones a year before, incurring the wrath of the goddess, Beith. The Count and his wife were sick with grief. And within the month, each had taken their own life. All on account of their children having no respect and incurring the wrath of Beith.

And I'll let Marullus narrate the crowd's reaction. :?
To Clay Weatherwax

"Greetings brother, my name is Tomal and I myself come from the edge of the Midnight Forest. Your tale was excellent. The story itself is one of my favorites from my youth. My grandfather would tell it on cold winter nights under the full moon as we were all close around the fire. I enjoyed your take on it and hearing it from someone such as yourself was indeed a great joy.

I have just come to this area and would quite enjoy sharing a cup of wine with you and a chance to talk of Beith."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay Weatherwax accepts the invitation, retiring to the tavern with Tomal. Clay orders a mug of tea and whatever Tomal is drinking, paying for both. Are you a believer in Beith? It was like no one had heard of Beith before I arrived here.

Who is Tomal? I don't see him/her in the Rogues Gallery.

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#113 Post by Fidget76 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Clay Weatherwax accepts the invitation, retiring to the tavern with Tomal. Clay orders a mug of tea and whatever Tomal is drinking, paying for both. Are you a believer in Beith? It was like no one had heard of Beith before I arrived here.

Who is Tomal? I don't see him/her in the Rogues Gallery.
Indeed brother, I am a cleric of Beith. I have set out on a mission to rid the world of any undead abominations that I find. I came into this place just in time to catch the festival. Never have I seen such festivities, it greatly out does the harvest festival back home. You are the first of our order that I have come across since I left home. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

I have added Tomal to the Rogues Gallery, sorry for the delay.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

There seems to be no end to the undead in this land. Just last week I came across a den of ghouls. They were all slain and I have begun construction on a meeting house on that site. It is called Beith's watch. You are welcome there once it is constructed.

I am guessing it is too late for Clay to invite Tomal along with Foxy, et al. If it isn't, it seems fighting going after a goblin king that commands the undead would be right up his alley.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”