Expedition Planning Discussions

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition Planning Discussions

#281 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I just got a PM from Starbeard. He's interested in sending his character along with us. So we have Winnie, Bianca, two NPC archers, and quite possibly the Grizzly Woman and her bear, Huckleberry.

Any other takers? We'd love to have Willow along, but I don't know that that expedition is coming back with the possibility of an empty dragon's lair to raid.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Bluehorse »

This is getting exciting! It is a band of shieldmaidens getting ready to march north! I love it. With a group this size we might be able to easily explore some extra hexes if everything goes well. on our loop.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie can afford to provide the npcs and buy one healing potion. Without a cleric, everyone should have a few healing potions handy.

Probably 7 days off rations will be sufficient.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint will certainly want to explore the northern woods after her current adventure. She's looking for pixies.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#285 Post by Alethan »

Willow is hjealer. She would join this expedition, assuming the next step for Amistad's expedition is an immediate return back to Gaul, which seems likely given Spearmint's current situation.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Zhym »

Lug would love to go explore the woods, but he's a bit busy at the moment. I suppose I could roll up yet another PC. ;)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#287 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:Lug would love to go explore the woods, but he's a bit busy at the moment. I suppose I could roll up yet another PC. ;)
Might want to make it a female if you don't want to be odd-man out. Literally, in this case... ;) :lol:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Zhym »

:D

I've never been fond of being a guy role-playing a woman. OTOH, I was once the only male in a company's HR department, so maybe I could bring some life experience to the roll of an odd man out. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Zhym »

Would a strong, handsome, and dumb fighter type be useful?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#290 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:Would a strong, handsome, and dumb fighter type be useful?
Not my circus, not my monkeys. That's all up to Rusty! :D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Zhym »

Well, I'm rolling one up anyway. He's available if the ladies need a handsome man who's polite and isn't encumbered by too many thoughts.

Or for anyone else who needs a meat shield.

Although, come to think of it, a ranger or druid of Beith might fit will with this group. Hm. I will ponder.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Zhym »

I've got the big dumb lovable fighter (possibly ranger-flavored, at some point) ready to go.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#295 Post by Alethan »

Bluehorse wrote:
Zhym wrote:I've got the big dumb lovable fighter (possibly ranger-flavored, at some point) ready to go.
Ranger flavored... would that be Wildberry?
Huckleberry?

Then you could spam the catch-phrase "I'm your Huckleberry" throughout the expedition...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Scouting the northern woodlands.
Winnie, Bianca, Grizzly Woman, Halla, Bera, Willow and a loveable dimwit. That's 7, plus a guard dog, a mule and a bear. That's a lot more than I had thought we'd have. (Had I known, I wouldn't have hired the NPCs, but I suppose it will be nice to have them around.)

One thing to note is that no one has actually mentioned IC they want to go in the Tavern thread. Winnie was last seen in the Tavern asking around for companions for this adventure.

@Marullus:
  • Are healing potions available from Beith's Watch?
    Do the NPCs come with backpacks, or do we need to buy those? (I was going to buy food, sacks and torches.)
    And don't think I don't notice what you did with those NPC names. :P
@Zhym:
  • I'm fine with a male character joining the group. It wasn't ever supposed to be all women. Just sort of came together that way based on the PCs available. And I totally support having another male character associated with Beith, since that religion is becoming a bit of a girls club between the PC's and NPC's related to her. I think only Clay and his druid vassal are the only males. But your character doesn't need to be related to Beith if you don't want him to be.
@Bluehorse:
  • Are you interested in having Bianca "lead" the expedition? Responsibilities aren't really clearly set, though Al wrote a nice IC summary in the tavern recently.
    As party leader, Bianca would have final say over the direction the party takes, some control over the party actions (though not how characters act, and I've been pretty bad about following those directions at times... :oops: ), and you can reroll party initiative in combat. There's was a suggestion that the party leader should try and keep track of loot found, though Marullus does provide a list at the end of the session. And when it comes time to divvy up magical goods, the party leader seems to get first choice, too.
If you don't want that responsibility, Winnie can lead. Either way, I'll keep notes about what happens so Winnie can do the storytelling at the end of the adventure for XP.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Marullus »

Crews are nearing their return-dates to Gaul - It's okay to begin contemplating how players wish to re-sort their PCs into the next round of adventures. We also have at least one new PC in the Tavern for someone to claim. :)

Here's what remains of the prior list...
Marullus wrote:
  • Guhra's Tower is located. The ArchDuke will offer substantial reward for routing the goblins there who prey on caravans. At least three spellcasters are known to have died there (leaving their tomes), and there's ruins underneath to explore. [Anyone][Earc]
  • The Templars of Eruanna are now alerted to demonic activity under the old Goblin Hole for those brave enough to face it. [Idriss, Ablesforth]
  • Foxy is interested in leading a group against the red robed wizards/infernalists west of the Goblin King's Mine. [Foxy] (Player is Away)
  • A red dragon has emerged from the Goblin King's Mine, meaning both danger and whispers of a hoard. [Anyone]
  • Clay the Badger Priest speaks of secret knowledge and a quest revealed to him by his goddess, Beith. [Clay]
  • A map reveals the way to the Lost City of Zavarra from before the cataclysm and a magic lodestone points the way.
  • The ruins of the City of Zhint have been discovered and mapped Northwest of Gaul.
  • A burial tomb on the east side of the river contains spectres bound in eternal litigation, should someone comprehend their dead language and find a way to put them to rest.
  • Ogres and kobolds, seen across the river to the east, have now been seen fording across to make a foothold and threaten the outskirts of Gaul.
  • Orc Clans are now a looming threat to the north, as they thrive on the massive mountain there and turn their eyes southward to notice Gaul.
I will reward someone willing to update the Maps thread will all discoveries so far. :)

There are also some plothooks which Casper White, Priest of Gwanwen, unearthed from the dwarven tomes rescued from the ghouls den. I need to NPC him in the tavern thread to reveal them as soon as I check my notes. He returned as a player, but nobody took him up on conversation ,yet. Go talk to him in the tavern and PM him to come back.[/ooc]
Currently Open Opportunities:
  • Next attempt into the Demon Hole to close the Hell Gate within, especially as it is now spilling demonspawn into the surrounds of Gaul. [Ablesforth]
  • Taking the Orb of Eternal Suffering and trying to find the Spiral Vault of the dwarves so that the orb can be entombed within and kept safe and away from any users. [Neegan, instigated by Clay Weatherwax]
  • Seeking north and west of the Dark Forest with Clay the Badger, pursuing his mission for the Goddess Beith to fix the Well which is the source of creation. [Clay Weatherwax]
Other new known sites:
  • The Castle in the Yoldessi Plains lies east across the river, known to be populated by gargoyles who remain from the last necromancer rulers.
  • The main Dwarfhomes of King Jarkul lie further east beyond the Yoldessi Plains, spoken of by Casper White in Idmi'd'dum.
  • A green dragon lives in a shattered glass dome in the Dark Forest, whose location was discovered by PCs about to return.
  • Maps of potentially lucrative locations in the Yoldessi Plains have been reclaimed from the records of Kelyr the Steward and are with PCs about to return.
  • Loggers from the Dark Forest (and the PCs adventuring there) all are able to report that orc scouts from the mountain to the North are increasing in number, spying on and learning of Gaul's activity and martial strength...
Individual PCs have a lot more hooks they can add as well.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Marullus »

I updated the Rogues Gallery now that we have two expeditions back in town. These are the PCs I currently have active and available for planning purposes....
  • Ablesforth -- Male Human -- Rusty Tincanne -- 19 August 2021
  • Bandobras 'Bandy' Sandybanks -- Male Halfling -- Alethan -- 19 August 2021
  • Clay Weatherwax -- Male Badger -- Rusty Tincanne -- 19 August 2021
  • Erien Laganthe -- Male Human -- Thebadgamer98 -- 19 August 2021
  • Fingers McGraw -- Male Human -- Zhym -- 19 August 2021
  • Galmit Treasurebrewer -- Male Dwarf -- GreyWolfVT -- 19 August 2021
  • Gundri Gundrudson -- Male Dwarf -- Enoch -- 19 August 2021
  • Brother Hengist -- Male Human -- DaveTheLost -- 19 August 2021
  • Markd -- Male Human -- Onlyme -- 19 August 2021
  • Neegan Battleborn -- Male Dwarf -- Dram -- 19 August 2021
  • Pendleton Kettlebottom -- Male Human -- Zhym -- 19 August 2021
  • Renfry of Faireweather -- Male Human -- Alethan -- 19 August 2021
  • Rhybek Baerdrum -- Male Dwarf -- Alethan -- 15 July 2021
Reach out to players, plan with characters!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Zhym »

Folks who just got back from the tomb—do we want to go seek out that other location that was dropped on us as a quest hook?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#300 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:I updated the Rogues Gallery now that we have two expeditions back in town. These are the PCs I currently have active and available for planning purposes....
  • Ablesforth -- Male Human -- Rusty Tincanne -- 19 August 2021
  • Bandobras 'Bandy' Sandybanks -- Male Halfling -- Alethan -- 19 August 2021
  • Clay Weatherwax -- Male Badger -- Rusty Tincanne -- 19 August 2021
  • Erien Laganthe -- Male Human -- Thebadgamer98 -- 19 August 2021
  • Fingers McGraw -- Male Human -- Zhym -- 19 August 2021
  • Galmit Treasurebrewer -- Male Dwarf -- GreyWolfVT -- 19 August 2021
  • Gundri Gundrudson -- Male Dwarf -- Enoch -- 19 August 2021
  • Brother Hengist -- Male Human -- DaveTheLost -- 19 August 2021
  • Markd -- Male Human -- Onlyme -- 19 August 2021
  • Neegan Battleborn -- Male Dwarf -- Dram -- 19 August 2021
  • Pendleton Kettlebottom -- Male Human -- Zhym -- 19 August 2021
  • Renfry of Faireweather -- Male Human -- Alethan -- 19 August 2021
  • Rhybek Baerdrum -- Male Dwarf -- Alethan -- 15 July 2021
Reach out to players, plan with characters!
Renfry turned out to be Willow after a character revamp.

Rhybek is stoned. I don't mean high. He's literally stone. Likely not very useful.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”