Expedition Planning Discussions

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition Planning Discussions

#141 Post by Marullus »

What about Grimble, Neegan, Rhybek, and Casper? Fingers? That's a good group.

sirravd

#142 Post by sirravd »

Yep, that sounds good.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sounds like Able will be leading the expedition beneath the goblin hold. Per Al's recommendations for group leader, Ixll start organizing stuff here.

Party members thus far:
Ablesforth - cleric
Idriss - mage
Grimble - dwarf
Neegan - dwarf
Dare - acrobat (likely a thief)

Waiting on a response from Pendleton, but either way, that seems a decent group. No need for hired hands.

Regarding equipment, Able has:
50' silk rope
12 spikes
Lantern (which he can't hold because of his weapon choice)
4 flasks of oil

Magical or silvered weapons are recommended. Able has 85 gp he is willing to use to help buy silver daggers or upgrade current weapons.

He will be spending 5 gp on flasks for water, which he will bless before leaving town. If you all have vessels for holy water, let him know and consider it done. He has anither 5 gp to use to further provision the group as needed.

Other Stuff:
Ablesforth's chosen second language is Infernal, this knowledge being granted by his goddess when he received his calling to become a cleric.
Idriss has a map of (part of) the upper level, allowing quicker access to the lower levels of the dungeon.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Spearmint »

options to hire a retainer or mercenary are always good, someone to look after packs, drag bodies away, be a meat shield to hide behind.

At the very least Idriss would like to pick up on Foxy's previous idea of buying a flock of sheep and driving then into the cavern, unexplored northern part. We know there were giant lizards in the cave roof crags. At least the sheep would set any traps off and also feed the lizards. Perhaps we could poison the sheep in some way, rub some lotion or poison ink into their sheep skins so predators die after eating them. We have to think outside the box, almost to become goblin in mind to anticipate the goblin traps.

lots of oil and maybe some Continual Light sticks in the style of Earc,

lots of holy water

Idriss doesn't have any enchanted weaponry and only a limited use of spell craft.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Zhym »

Do you think Pendleton would be more useful than Fingers?

I'm a little bummed I can't get anyone to have another go at the catacombs with the ghostly diorama. I'm really curious what's going on there, and now I have two characters who have a decent chance of being able to read the writings we couldn't decipher before.

Also, are people staying away from the catacombs because of the undead? If so, I question the logic of avoiding skeletons by seeking out demons. ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:Do you think Pendleton would be more useful than Fingers?

I'm a little bummed I can't get anyone to have another go at the catacombs with the ghostly diorama. I'm really curious what's going on there, and now I have two characters who have a decent chance of being able to read the writings we couldn't decipher before.

Also, are people staying away from the catacombs because of the undead? If so, I question the logic of avoiding skeletons by seeking out demons. ;)
As soon as (read "IF") Bremen ever returns from the White Tower, Mission from Baudh, mark II, He will be happy to return to those catacombs. He will be a level 4 thief, so he'll have a decent chance of reading the language, too. I had really hoped we would have found that stupid relic and been back by now. Instead, we are delving again.

As for demons vs skeletons (and don't forget the wight we set loose!), as a follower of Eruanna, Able has a duty to hunt down the infernal. I don't know which of your characters would be more useful with Able. Magic is handy, but so is a mid-level thief with two magical weapons. And if the catacombs ever get going, Bremen is also a mid-level thief with magical weapons.

Your choice as to which goes where. But really, Fingers could lead another expedition elsewhere. That kobold city remains unexplored. Dragon/Wyvern, and all. :D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Zhym »

Sprinkles is a factor with Fingers, too. He tries to avoid danger anyway, but he's really hesitant to go anywhere that has a high chance of killing his dog.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Goblin traps, giant chameleons, zombies, screaming mushrooms and demons? What could go wrong? :P

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Zhym »

Still, sounds better than marching up to a tower still full of goblins and asking if we they'd please let us explore the basement that killed the last bunch of adventurers to go that way.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Still, sounds better than marching up to a tower still full of goblins and asking if we they'd please let us explore the basement that killed the last bunch of adventurers to go that way.
Rather surprising that it worked the first three times. ;) Of course, Carchannoi found immense utility in the liberal use of Charm spells before his demise. :) The amount he uncovered in solo exploration was impressive.

That said, Guhra's tower WAS meant as a low-level dungeon. I'm more concerned that a higher level group would just wipe it clean without much challenge than I am that a mixed/low level group will meet another TPK. I honestly thought that the allure of knowing there's a whole sack-full of spellbooks belonging to former PCs with mostly goblins to guard it would be enough to intrigue Pendleton along.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Zhym »

I guess there's no reason for Guhra not to let adventurers into the basement. None of them ever come back, so it's a good way to dispose of unwanted guests without losing any of her own forces.

sirravd

#152 Post by sirravd »

Marullus wrote:
Zhym wrote:Still, sounds better than marching up to a tower still full of goblins and asking if we they'd please let us explore the basement that killed the last bunch of adventurers to go that way.
Rather surprising that it worked the first three times. ;) Of course, Carchannoi found immense utility in the liberal use of Charm spells before his demise. :) The amount he uncovered in solo exploration was impressive.
He uncovered a lot, but was staggeringly silly on more than one occasion! Alas that he overplayed his hand and perished. A Chaotic Evil elf with a humanoid retinue –– at one point, a retinue comprising ogres (!) –– and ambitions of creating his own kingdom would have been a most interesting character to play.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Continual light objects are 300gp. Too steep.
Since i haven't heard about people wanting coin for silvered weapons, Able will use the cash in other ways. Lots of holy water. Sheep are a good idea, but not really in his character.

Zhym, watcha thinking regarding character choice?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Zhym »

I just started a new job, so at the moment I'm wondering if I have enough free time to send anyone out.

Pendleton might be a reasonable option for the demon trip or Guhra's basement, though he'd really want a group to at least go by way of the catacombs if possible.

Fingers...I dunno. And we'll see about Olaf when he gets back.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#155 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Continual light objects are 300gp. Too steep.
When he returns, Earc might be willing to provide something along those lines for a reasonable rate. Or trade. or... not sure. Maybe spell ingredients! :D
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by hedgeknight »

Zhym wrote:I'm a little bummed I can't get anyone to have another go at the catacombs with the ghostly diorama. I'm really curious what's going on there, and now I have two characters who have a decent chance of being able to read the writings we couldn't decipher before.
Casper White will be glad to accompany a team to explore the catacombs. He does not fear undead and with the possibility of writings to decipher, he would be all in. Demons? No. Skeletons and other undead, with cryptic writings? Yes!
Winter is coming...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Zhym »

Neat!

Okay, here's what I think I'll do. Demons are intriguing to Pendleton, so he'll join that group. Fingers will try to get a catacombs group together. If he can get a viable group (I.e., more than two people), he'll go.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Marullus »

Pendleton isn't going to Guhra's Tower?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Zhym »

I don't know. Maybe. I'm back to thinking I might not have time to send anyone out at all.

Do we have an updated list of who is declared for going where? I thought I saw one, or at least a roster for one expedition, but damned if I can find it.

Is it just Fingers and Caspar for the catacombs?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad has put up an expedition recruitment sign on the town bulletin board. It regards an expedition to conquer the Pinnacle Mountain north of Gaul.

We will be travelling through the deep forest and orcish plains and I have set a time line to leave Gaul at the end of the month. All races, experience levels and classes encouraged.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”