OOC Chatter I

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chatter I

#461 Post by Zhym »

See, if Pendleton walked into the temple with a boo-boo and asked the priests to make it better, he'd have to problem with the whole payment thing. He's less sanguine about clerics passing along the cost of their powers. Pendleton doesn't ask everyone else to pay for his material components, does he? :)

Too bad it didn't work out, but when it turned from "pay for my services" to "recognize the awesome power of my god," well, Pendleton has no interest in converting to the cause.

Also, this:
Jernau35 wrote:"He refused to come along unless I admitted he was equal in power to Baudh himself."
is a radical interpretation of events. :D

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Jernau35 »

Pendleton's material components may be free of charge, but then so is Piers' holy symbol when he casts spells.

As for the "recognize the awesome power of Baugh" schtick, what else is my character supposed to say? "Pay up because it's in the house rules"? Conversion was never on the table.

Yes, that may be a (slightly) exaggerated view of events ;) . I actually thought the accusation of drunkenness would be more objectionable :lol:

Oh well, what might have been, ships that pass in the night etc etc. it was fun while it lasted. Cheers! :D

(Good luck Pendleton!)
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#463 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

While we're on the subject, one thing I find of about the fee-for-service, as it were, is the variability in healing results. It seems like a really good truth, sacrifice of blood or heavy coin purse should guarantee a full 7hp in return. But a PC might only get 2hp.

Just a thought. I have no idea how to annotate it better without the GM casting judgements. And a chicken costs so little, so there is no comparison. But it would be fun to see some great public confessions that would affect a PCs reaction rolls in town.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by Marullus »

Yeah, I think we've already gathered some lessons-learned. I think the "fee for service" is philosophical and the preferred model is "per expedition." I like the way that Ablesforth is implementing the Eruanna approach of truths as a fee-for-service, but even that is being loose with the idea of confessions. We only briefly had a cleric of Gwanwen to try the costs-in-blood - they ended up being cosmetic RP. The RP was really good, but I'd like the impacts to be a bit more tangible. The clerics of Baudh definitely have shown a preference for "tithe from the group" for collective giving and expedition-style service.

Where you'll see standards and norms emerging is in the hiring of NPCs. As NPC clerics are sought at the IG chapels, it'll establish norms based on what they charge (and what I figure out by then).

What is more of an issue to me is, what is the impact of being "faithful" to a given deity?

I'm open to ideas on how you want reaction rolls in town to work - that will be a feature in the mid-level game phase which you are approaching. There are already some elements being implemented ad hoc (relations with the dwarves, for example, or the archery winners having bonus with the woodsmen). Feel free to brainstorm.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#465 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:...relations with the dwarves, for example...
Though we left that lot to die at the hands of skeletal dwarves, goblins and wargs... :( (Now I just need to figure out how to get Clay's horn back! ;) )

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#466 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
Marullus wrote:...relations with the dwarves, for example...
Though we left that lot to die at the hands of skeletal dwarves, goblins and wargs... :( (Now I just need to figure out how to get Clay's horn back! ;) )
There's other dwarves and other PCs. ;) I think Earc has a positive relationship with the dwarves at the dwarven encampment now.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#467 Post by Marullus »

I think one of my big questions there is, do you like or dislike that sharing of OOC knowledge? If I have a thread tracking the status of PCs with various PC groups?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#468 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I don't really understand the question. I read all the other game threads I have access to. And even if I didn't, I have three active characters, so I have lots of OOC information that is extraneous to each character, individually.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#469 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:If I have a thread tracking the status of PCs with various PC groups?
With various PC groups? Or with various NPC groups?

If the latter, then it might not be bad, even if just for a reminder. Like Rusty, I have a few characters going on and it's not always easiest to remember who has done what with who. I remember Bandy has a reaction bonus with Achaedany, even though they've never adventured together, because of the archery competition. Earc probably doesn't, even though he's adventured with her several times, because he's not terribly generous with giving her treasures and Blackjack is the one who procured her.

But Earc does have a bonus when dealing with dwarves, which is good because he'll be using them more in the future, hopefully, for the construction of Toll's Tower.

I suppose I'm not terribly interested in what other PCs have for statuses with the NPC groups, aside from fun reading.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:All clatter against the stone except one, which hits Neegan squarely in the forehead, felling him like a proverbial giant. (-1hp, critical hit - lose one action) Neegan topples over backwards, leaving room for another party member to take the front line position.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Dang! That's the most effective sling shot I've ever seen...
Marullus wrote:One of the stones hits Sprinkles he crouches at Finger's feet (-1hp) - the dog yelps and turns with his tail tucked, sprinting across the tower yard southward into the grasses beyond.
Zhym wrote:"Dammit!" says Fingers, forgetting all about the battle and running off after his dog. "Sprinkles, you scaredy cat! You get back here!"
Actually, I think THAT was the most effective sling shot. :) One rock, does 1hp, takes two combatants out of the fight. :lol:

I feel like, after this, you guys will be unjustly terrified of kobolds with slings...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#471 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The party descends down into the vale - a sharp cliff-face on a hill to the south, a rounded ridgeline to the north, about 200 yards separating them. They see a distinct human skeleton, flesh picked from the ruddy-colored bones, lying in the field, weathered by months of exposure to weather and gnawing vermin. They spy a cave cleft-entrance in the facing limestone rock face to the south which is easily discernable by the dark soot-stains, a sign of a raging fire once within. Four massive canine carcasses, larger than wolves, lie in the field between you and the cave-cleft. They are rotted for many weeks, but less gnawed by vermin than the human corpse, perhaps due to some undesirability. Thickets of brambles grow on, around, and now from the canine bodies as well, an oddity as they are newer than the human bones but not thus afflicted.
So much fun to read that! Usually descriptions are of something that happened that no PC would have seen, but here.... And I love the way Beith's magic left it's mark on the landscape. And it's funny, but I don't recall anyone ever looting that farm hand's body aside from the leather coat.

Now I've got to catch up on the Kobold thread.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by Zhym »

Or justly terrified.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#473 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I know they are only a day in, but I love how congenial Piers' group is (aside from the grumpy NPC). Fun reading so far.

Also, Marullus, in game you said Clay's spell, Hold Person, wouldn't work on the wargs, but the Deities thread has Hold Mammals as an option for Druids/Clerics of Beith. Does it need to be memorized specifically as Mammal or Person, or had you forgotton your house rule?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#474 Post by Marullus »

Oh. Forgot the house rule. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#475 Post by Marullus »

Happy Easter!

I must have dreamed I updated threads... I apologize for being further behind than I thought.

I am in busy-high-speed mode at work for the next two weeks, so I may not be as speedy as normal. Please bear with me - if nothing else, I will catch up once we're in May.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#476 Post by Marullus »

Modric wrote:Let's send the two NPCs over there to check out the animals.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:It was more of a reference to Blackjack and Achaedany being "majorly injured." But seeing the HP totals, it looks like injury status describes how much damage a character has taken, not how many HP the character has left. Olaf is ready to move on if everyone else is.
It roughly describes percentage of HP lost. Minor is about 1/4, Major is about 1/2, Severe is about 3/4, Unconscious is 0, Near death is below 0 and stable, Dying is below 0 and not stable.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#478 Post by Zhym »

Speaking of which, Ableforth seems to be in a dire position. Bleeding out with a bunch of angry kobolds between himself and anyone who would help him.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#479 Post by Marullus »

It was a brave move, nonetheless. You should have SEEN the blow to that ladder....

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#480 Post by Zhym »

In retrospect, it might have been better to let the kobolds flee upstairs.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”