OOC Chatter I

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chatter I

#681 Post by Starbeard »

Well the escape wouldn't have to be beneficent. Maybe they'd break him out because they thought he got off too easy! Is there a tar and feather seller in town?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#682 Post by Zhym »

I don't know why I keep forgetting the name Scatha:
Marullus wrote:My apologies, that wasn't just me being a jerk... I was trying to make a joke which was an obscure Tolkien reference... which I realize in retrospect might not have been common knowledge and thus not funny.
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Scatha
Little is known of Scatha's life, except that he possessed a great hoard, stolen from the Dwarves. He was slain by Fram son of Frumgar in the early days of the Éothéod.

His recovered hoard was the subject of great dispute between the Men of the Éothéod and the Dwarves of that region, who claimed the hoard as their own. Fram rebuked their claim, and sent them the teeth of the dragon, with the words, "Jewels such as these you will not match in your treasuries, for they are hard to come by." It was rumored that for this insult the Dwarves killed him. [2]

2.↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The House of Eorl"
viewtopic.php?f=163&t=4911&p=298033#p298033

Mr. Marullus, sir? I'd like to roll a new PC named Fram son of Frumgar. For the killing Scatha part, not the getting killed for insulting dwarves part.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#683 Post by Marullus »

You warm the heart of my inner Tolkienaphile. :D

Though, I think it is worth getting killed by dwarves to be able to deliver that particular insult. :lol: Tolkien's northmen are some of my favorites. With as much attention as the Dunedain get, I think the blond-haired cousins deserve some kudos. When the dark-haired, grey-eyed men went to study at the feet of the revered elves to gain their knowledge (becoming the Dunedain and line of kings of Gondor and Arnor) the northmen impolitely refused, saying that charging the cost of adoration in exchange for knowledge was too steep a price and thereafter called the Dunedain "kneelers." When the Gondorian king married a northman bride it caused the Kinstrife civil war. When he almost lost Gondor in that war, it was the northmen horde which rode in and kicked everyone's ass (for which they were awarded the land that became Rohan). Slaying Scatha and pissing off the dwarves was kind of par for the course for them... note that it doesn't ever say "and then the dwarves got their treasure back from Fram's men." It notes that they build the North's only city with that wealth and named it Framsburg to honor him posthumously, while the dwarves fled south. :lol:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#684 Post by Alethan »

I'm going to start using the word, "posthumorously", to indicate the awkward quiet time after I laugh at something.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#685 Post by Stirling »

Foxburg has a nice kind of ring to it don't you think?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#686 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Stirling wrote:Foxburg has a nice kind of ring to it don't you think?
Depends on what images you are trying to conjure...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#687 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Directions:
Consult the table on page 60 of the LL Basic rules for your base attack bonus by class and level. (Everyone is THACO 19 at 1st level; Dwarves, Elves, Fighters and Halflings go to THACO 18 at level 3. Clerics, Thieves, and Magic Users go to THACO 18 at level 4. Advancement varies after that.)
  • Figure in your attribute bonus by subtracting it from your THACO. (If you have 13 DEX, lower THACO by 1 for missile weapons.
    If you have 13 STR, lower THACO by 1 for melee weapons. Lower it by 2 if your score is 16, or by 3 if it is 18.)
    Consider if you have any racial, class, or other special bonuses. (Halflings get +1 ranged, for example)
    Then account for if you are using a magic weapon. If it is a +1, +2, or +3 weapon, lower the THACO for that weapon accordingly.
With this, we would roll a 1d20 to hit, listing no bonuses To Hit? Because the bonuses are wrapped into his THACO now, right? But you still need to add bonuses to damage.
For Bremen:

Code: Select all

Warhammer of Baudh (THACO 16) [1d20], dmg [1d8+3]

Crossbow (THACO 16) [1d20], dmg [1d8]
Would it be more straight forward to just list the vanilla THACO in the macro, and then show all the necessary modifications?
For Bremen:

Warhammer of Baudh (THACO 18) [1d20+2], dmg [1d8+3]

Crossbow (THACO 18) [1d20+2], dmg [1d8]
Or am I missing something? Which do you prefer?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#688 Post by Zhym »

That's what I usually do. I list the base THAC0 in the macro and add modifiers to the roll. The modifiers usually include strength, weapon, and class bonuses (i.e., bonus that always apply and so are easy to include in the macro) but not situational bonuses (e.g., attacking from behind, range modifiers, etc.). If a situational bonus might apply, I usually make sure to point that out when posting the roll.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#689 Post by Marullus »

I am fine with either method. Just so long as you track the Thac0 and modifiers.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#690 Post by Stirling »

Your macro should reflect your attack and damage or skill check. It is players responsibility to get it correct, adding THAC0 18 is helpful for the DM to narrate and arbitrate results.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#691 Post by Mister-Kent »

Thinking I want to make a cleric to help defend the town from Scatha, but not sure which deity of the ones listed. Any suggestions?
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#692 Post by Marullus »

The prohibitions required and the bonus spells offered are the biggest mechanical impacts on how you play them. What's his motivation for defending the town?

I wouldn't recommend Beith, as killing of the dragon (a unique creature) is a moral concern. ;)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#693 Post by Mister-Kent »

Hm, good points! Not sure if I want a bold sun cleric (similar to my Radiant Olympia from West Marches) or a spoopy Gwanwen cleric. If the former, their motivation would be purely "let's save town" and if the latter I'm sure they could use dragon parts in a creepy ritual.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#694 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

You could create your own deity. ;)

For what it's worth, I like having an Eruannan priest. It's fun to see what other folks come up with for their confessions. And since he'll be a Templar eventually, I don't need to worry about gathering material goods. Considering the other two characters I play are trying to have physical bases of operations, Able is very liberating.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#695 Post by Marullus »

awwww..... I miss Radiant Olympia. :)

I really like what people are doing with Gwanwen, though. There is also interesting interplay as we get multiple people attached simultaneously with a church.

Baudh:
Brother Hengist - new crusading priest
Renfry of Faireweather (pending)

Gwanwen:
Isaachar - creepy Reaper-type
(Caspar White - Agrarianist Prist. [retiring to NPC / scholar of the Dwarven North])

Eruanna:
Ablesforth - yokel carpenter taking confessions
(Idriss - magic user sworn Templar)

Beith:
Clay Weatherwax - Reincarnated Badger on a Holy Mission
(Winnie Piper - magic user sworn Witch)
(Bianca - magic user sworn Witch)

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#696 Post by DavetheLost »

Oh, no! It has happened again. Every time I join a PBeM game it crashes. I joined the Fingers Expedition and boom! ;)

Just kidding, but the suspense is killing me. Also Scatha and Foxy... The Trial... My nails are bitten down to the second knuckle.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#697 Post by Marullus »

My apologies! I thank you all for your patience - real life caught up with me recently and, while this game is my favored form of escapism, I've had a bunch of issues that need me to be disciplined in tackling. I'll try to catch up as soon as I can.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#698 Post by Zhym »

No worries. Life happens.

Just don't pull a Keehnelf,* cause that sucked. Twice. And I'd hate for it to become a tradition in Archduchy of *aul games.

*By which I mean, vanishing without notice. If a game has to be shut down, it has to be shut down. But vanishing without a word while leaving a game hanging, well, sucks.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#699 Post by Marullus »

Agreed. ;) I'd let you know. For now, I'm not quitting. Just a delay.

Unfortunately all the threads have hit points where there isn't a "quick answer" option - each one requires me to sit down, do math, roll dice, consult tables, generate new world info, etc. I am still reading things near real-time, but I can't do the "sit down and resolve this" things until, you know, I can sit down and resolve it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#700 Post by Zhym »

How hard can it be to write up "everyone dies at the hands of demons and goblins" in the demon hole? ;)

Or, you could just stop throwing so many monsters at us. Try leaving big piles of unguarded loot instead. We have to do our own accounting on that. Saves lots of time for the DM.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”