It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15185
Lead on, then. :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 13194
Location: Midwest
Bandy moves to the opposite end of the sarcophagus in the skeleton room and checks the door in the lower-left corner, the door that would go to the Hearing Room where the ghostly trial took place.

He gives the door an examination to make sure it isn't trapped. If it looks good, then he opens the door and makes his way into the hallway.

_________________
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9547
Bandy heads over to the other door - it is plain wood without any sigils or markings and doesn't appear to have a lock. He examines it (with Finger's help), neither noting a trap. Bandy opens the door and finds the empty hallway beyond which he expected - he hears the voices of the ghostly trial echoing beyond in the darkness.

Date: 9:00am, 24 July 2021
Light: Bandy's Candlestick (until 9:30am), Markd's lantern (until 12:30pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: None


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15185
Fingers holds a, well, finger to his mouth. "'Kay. These ghosts ahead are really cranky about weapons and not getting in the way of the ceremony, right?. So put your weapons away and be real quiet. We don't have any way to understand what they're saying yet, so we should just move through as unobtrusively as possible. Okay?" He thinks about how great it would be to have a magical thingy that would let him understand conversations in all languages. Then he thinks about how he'd price that in his shop.

Then he thinks about Sprinkles, who Fingers hopes won't freak out at a room full of ghosts. "Shhh!" he says, commanding the dog to remain silent. He gives the dog a treat as reinforcement.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 13194
Location: Midwest
Bandy nods, sheathes his longsword, and continues forward.

He originally wanted to check the door immediately to the right on the same wall as they entered the Hearings room, but instead he heads to the Nautilus room (Sorry, the room with the spiral stair... it looks like a nautilus to me). Once there, he sets down his candlestick and draws his longsword again. Then he waits.

When everyone else is in the large room, Bandy quickly extinguishes his candle and stows the candle and candlestick, unable to use that with his longsword...

(OOC: Anyone who doesn't have a magical weapon should hold a light source. Pretty sure we'll need magical weapons to kill this thing. And hope it doesn't hit you...)

_________________
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
Guide
Guide

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:28 am
Posts: 197
Location: Canton, NY
"I will hold a light source, unless you wish me to call upon the holy power of Baudh to turn the foul thing first. I can also offer two of you a blessing of Protection from Evil," says Hengist.

_________________
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 13194
Location: Midwest
Bandy looks at Fingers to see what the plan is. He doesn't mind going first, but it's Fingers' expedition...

_________________
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:10 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15185
OOC: I'm not sure what Bandy's waiting for. Your post two up looks like a good plan of action to me. If I need an official "make it so" post, consider this it. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 13194
Location: Midwest
OOC: Whether you want to try and turn the undead or destroy it outright. I suspect destroy it outright, because turning doesn't destroy it...

Bandy replies, "No, if you turn it, that just makes it run away, right? We'd eventually still have to defeat it. Lets ready weapons and holy water and try and take it down."

When nobody disagrees (I think they would have chimed in by now), Bandy moves forward into the staircase room...

_________________
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:39 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15185
Oh, right, sorry.

"Yeah, I don't want to scare it away if all it'll do is come back. Unless we can scare it away then attack? At least we get one free attack that way."

"Oh, and I have a magic sword, but I really don't want to come close enough to use it. Unless I can attack it from behind."

If he can, Fingers will try to stay in the shadows so that he could be in a position to attack with surprise should the wight emerge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9547
As Fingers advises, the party sheathes all of its weapons and moves down the hallway. Bandy holds his candlestick, Markd brings his lantern at the rear. The hanging candleabras in the trial room illuminate the proceedings, the same figures droning on about something or other at the front, a few scattered figures of humans, kobolds, and even an ogre sitting in the benches and watching.

The judge, an old and imposing-looking cleric in formal robes of Baudh, pauses as you enter, looking crossly at you. With some genuflection and expressions of apology for the intrusion by the Lawful members of the party, he settles back into the task he has at hand.

The party skirts around the north side of the room. First they pass a normal wooden door on the east wall. Bandy looks to the door on the east end of the north wall and finds that it is covered to very similar symbols as the one you just left in the other chamber. Passing it by, you reach the archway to the massive burial room with the giant stone stair.

You find a massive chamber which extends beyond even the furthest efforts of your light, easily four times the size of any room you've been in thus far. There is a wall on your left about 20' from your archway. A simple wooden door is on that wall, 20' from the corner adjacent to where you stand. You can also make out the dim outline of another doorway on your own wall, about 40' to your right. You cannot discern the walls to your right or across from you at all. The chamber itself is vaulted, arching overhead about 20' in the air, but for all that space and grandeur, it is strangely utilitarian. A circular stairway with 10' wide stone steps ascends to the center of the vaulted ceiling above, its bottom step barely discernible by your candlelight as it is about 70' from you, ahead and a little to the right. Otherwise, you see stone coffers and wooden boxes on the floor and then also engraving on the walls, which are cut and laid as stone blocks.

Bandy nurses the last moments of his candle's flame, looking ahead into the gloorm, while Fingers skirts to the side hoping to remain hidden and quiet when you find your foe. It doesn't take long, however - the dessicated corpse which woke in the last coffin you opened crouches like a ghastly-white statue near the bottom of the stair. It begins towards you - slowly at first as it sniffs, then at a run, its mouth open in a silent scream.

(Actions!)

Date: 9:30am, 24 July 2021
Light: Bandy's Candlestick (until 9:30am), Markd's lantern (until 12:30pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: None


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15185
Fingers motions for the non-magical Sprinkles to stay behind him. His dog can't help with this foe. Fingers hopes he's well hidden and that the wight has a back that can be stabbed—and that the clerics can make the wight turn that back to him.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 6111
Location: Middle of Carolinas
Markd holds his sword at the ready...

long sword+1(2undead) (Thac0 16) [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4; damage [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5
(so a 6, hits AC 11?)

and again.
long sword+1(2undead) (Thac0 16) [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19; damage [1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5
21 after magic)

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9547
Zhym - attack roll?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15185
Backstab w/longsword +1 (THAC0 18): [1d20+6] = 17+6 = 23, [1d8x2] = 2x2 = 4+2

Well, it's a hit, but that damage is just going to piss it off, not kill it. ;)

Someone roll initiative, please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 13194
Location: Midwest
Penderyn Longsword THAC016 [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10 Dam [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7

Ugh...

Initiative [1d6] = 5

Well at least that is a little better.

_________________
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9547
Holding for Hengist


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:01 pm 
Offline
Guide
Guide

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:28 am
Posts: 197
Location: Canton, NY
Hengist stands ready with his holy symbol to turn the wight if the fight looks like it is going against us.

_________________
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9547
Bandy tucks away his spent candlestick and draws his longsword as the creature charges. Markd holds the lantern and his longsword, sheathing his dagger. Fingers slips into the shadows. Hengist backs away from the melee, holding his holy symbol, while Allmond steps up with his mace.

The wight is upon you faster than you'd expect, but your weapons are up and ready for it, snicking out as soon as it is in range. It charges at Markd, scrambling with its claws against his armor as Markd's longsword slides right up into its abdomen. (-6) It flails wildly, resulting in both Bandy and Allmond's swings going awry. Fingers steps out behind it, however, and brings down his longsword into its back. (-6) It writhes and hisses, momentarily pinioned between the two.

(Actions!)


(Onlyme - it is +1 OR +2 v undead. Not +1 AND +2 v Undead.)

Date: 9:31am, 24 July 2021
Light: Markd's lantern (until 12:30pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: None




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 15185
Fingers fervently hopes the wight stays focused on Markd. He pulls his sword out of its back and slices without much strength.

Longsword +1 (THAC0 18) [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14 [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3
Does not include +2 for attacking from behind.

Someone roll initiative, please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group