It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:16 am
Posts: 386
Location: Virginia
For a half-share each, Rowine and Crowager will happliy risk their lives to keep Piers safe....er....explore the dragon's lair!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 14685
"Shares, schmares," says man-giant Lug. "It's a piss poor dragon that ain't got enough loot for everyone. When can we get to killin' it?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:17 pm
Posts: 1792
From the back of the group, Osuna the mystic steps up, dressed in forest-colored garb. "I have fore-seen that the bounty will be plentiful enough for all," she assures Lug. "I would not have responded to Mr. Baxtaw's solicitations had I any reason to doubt our success..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:16 am
Posts: 386
Location: Virginia
Piers

"Indeed, good lady, let us proceed on our quest to drag this foul worm out of it's dark cave and into the Light" proclaims the cleric


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:49 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9018
Early on the 23rd of July, the ten companions begin onward. Bremen and Stantz ride their warhorses while everyone else makes their way on foot, the troop of men-at-arms packing their camp and preparing to go the other direction rather than accompany this endeavor.

(assuming everyone is 60lbs or less encumbrance. Please check and tell me otherwise. No pack animals to defray that.)

You travel the whole day in blessed clear skies, no rain falling upon you. You are in the forested hills below the mountains when you camp for the night, rising the next morning and continuing onward in your effort to reach the dragon's lair with haste. The sun is dipping behind the high southern peaks, which now rise straight above your head, when you come up the slope and see the smashed remains of what was the goblin palisade before you. The mouth of the dwarven tunnel, its stone doors long shattered, gapes before you. The cleared swath of ground between you and it shows some scraggly weeds, but is mostly decorated by the white bones of shattered skeletons left from the previous battle. A smouldering heap shows where a dozen Blackhelm dwarves were burned on a pyre. A trio of wolves skulks in from the west and enters the cave mouth.

Date: 8:00pm, 24 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: None


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9018
Amended: Piers brings Norp the Mule from the chapel, rescued during his last expedition, to help with carrying equipment. So, that's one pack animal, ensuring a 3/4 movement rate.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Ithaca, NY
As long as there are two warhorses, Bremen will bring six men-at-arms from his retinue, all on horseback. They will guard mounts when we go into the mountain. I'll pay them the book price for hirelings, plus a bonus from his own share.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 14685
Lug whistles low as he surveys the carnage. "Hoo boy," he says.

After a moment, he shrugs and grins. "So. We goin' in, or what?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9018
(15gp/week for your medium mounted. Subtract 90gp for the expedition.)

*Bump*
What's the plan?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Ithaca, NY
Bremen looks again at the silent elf. Well Baxtaw, you brought us all out here. Been here before even. What's you're plan? Walk in the front door past those wolves? Or do we use the other door they talked about in the tavern tale?

Bremen is happy to scout ahead, but we already know there are wolves.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:46 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:16 am
Posts: 386
Location: Virginia
Piers surveys the scene outside the mouth of the tunnel. "Well that looks creepy as all the Hells. If there is an alternative, I'm voting for it, sight unseen."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:41 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Michigan
Baxtaw Let us find this other entrance. He turns to Bremen. Them wolves will definitely smell the mounts. Tell your men to be on high alert.

_________________
Bragar Battlehammer - (Cleric), Ravenloft
Xanophia-(Fight/Thief)-Dark Clouds Gather
Oxeander Longleaf- (Fight/MU), The Pits of Wob (1e AD&D)
Krakus(Barbarian )Village with no name
Grillock Dazbule "Can you help a brother out"
Kitchi Machk(Brave Bear) "Hidden Shrine of Tamochaon"
Craxzus Oaksword- "Silverymoon"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:26 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Ithaca, NY
Bremen nods and looks at his men, knowing such things shouldn't need to be said. He figures it can't hurt though, so he reminds them that there are all manner of nasty creatures out here, and that their job is to guard the mounts.More mounts means more dragon hoard later, boys. So lets be careful.

Bremen offers to scout ahead of the party on the trail. (Far enough so the others won't be surprised.)

90gp deducted for the mounties.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 14685
Lug stares quizzically at the others. "I don't get it," he says. "You think we can kill a dragon, but you're afraid of some wolves?"

But he shrugs and follows along in the search for another entrance.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:36 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 9018
The party skirts around the clearing and up over the shoulders of the mountain, seeking the rear entrance. As Baxtaw was there before, it is just a matter of making it around the mountain to the secret door at the sun-fields where they last entered. The sun sets when he says they're under halfway there, the party presses on to find the entrance. Sneaking across a rugged mountainscape in the dead of night, however, is not as simple as they hoped. He finds something familiar, but a short while later they're again lost. The line of horsemen stretch out, picking their way through the rocky landscape behind the searching elf. The mountain is savage and forbidding, the group searches to find the right paths all night long. When the sun rises on the mountain peaks above, Baxtaw reorients, heading back up a different trail, hoping to rectify the night's long, tired search.

There is a sound of rushing wind above you. As you pivot and squint up into the sun, you see a pair of massive wings blotting it out. At first, you fear the dragon has found you. Then you realize this thing is even larger.
A giant roc is diving downward, talons extended, towards the horsemen.

(Actions!)

Date: 7:15am, 24 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: -1 to hit from exhaustion
Injuries: None


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:16 am
Posts: 386
Location: Virginia
Piers

"Rowine! Crowager! Drag the mule to cover!" he cries. Then, judging the distance as best he can, Piers intones "Sun Father! Blind this creature with your Holy Light!" as he extends his hand towards the great bird.

Casting a Light spell, obviously :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:17 pm
Posts: 1792
Osuna hangs back, shielding her eyes from the brightness of Pier's holy spell.

_________________
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:15 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Ithaca, NY
I hadn't noticed the time of day - likely because of all the conversation about how many hirelings to bring... I would have suggested camping for the night. And I am only now noticing that the horsemen hirelings don't have bows, not that it maters much with a giant Roc coming at us. (I checked out the stats after rolling. Should have run for it.

Lord Commander Bremen immediately sets his men to action, launching a barrage of arrows and swords at the incoming Rok. He is dismayed as only only Stantz's shot is able to penetrate the bird's feathery hide.

Heavy Crossbow (THACO 17): [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16, damage [1d8] = 3
Stantz, Long Bow (THAC0 17): [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18, dmg [1d8] = 2
Cleric, sling (THAC0 19) [1d20] = 15, dmg [1d4] = 4
All those need -1 to hit, so Bremen rolled a 15, Stantz a 17 and the Cleric a 14. And the swords from the hirelings:

[1d20-1] = 18-1 = 17, [1d20-1] = 15-1 = 14, [1d20-1] = 15-1 = 14
[1d20-1] = 3-1 = 2, [1d20-1] = 20-1 = 19, [1d20-1] = 19-1 = 18
[1d8] = 1, [1d8] = 6, [1d8] = 2, [1d8] = 5, [1d8] = 3, [1d8] = 2


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 14685
Lug fires his Boring Ordinary Bow at the roc.

Longbow (THAC0 18): [1d20+1] = 18+1 = 19 [1d8] = 3


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:41 pm
Posts: 3915
Location: Michigan
Baxtaw pulls his M.W. Bow and fires at the Roc.


+1 MW Bow(THAC016)[1d20+3] = 17+3 = 20 Dam[1d8+3] = 6+3 = 9

_________________
Bragar Battlehammer - (Cleric), Ravenloft
Xanophia-(Fight/Thief)-Dark Clouds Gather
Oxeander Longleaf- (Fight/MU), The Pits of Wob (1e AD&D)
Krakus(Barbarian )Village with no name
Grillock Dazbule "Can you help a brother out"
Kitchi Machk(Brave Bear) "Hidden Shrine of Tamochaon"
Craxzus Oaksword- "Silverymoon"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group