Re: Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 202

#721 Post by Valdus »

Already thinking of what new character to roll. Lol

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#722 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Your new character will come with some XP when we pay tribute to C'ang.

Too bad the Fingers of Zhint aren't around. Some undead reinforcements would be good. Or more of those clay dwarfs from the Horn.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#723 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman snatches up Foxy and runs for cover.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#724 Post by Marullus »

OOC:
You had the option to leave earlier and be safe from the dragon scene. Halfpint, Shortbread, Morrs, and Huckleberry all took that opportunity - they're down the slope and technically out of scene while all others chose to stay in the scene (and consequences thereof). For that reason, I'm not having Shortbread act. We also specified at the scene's beginning that there was no cover or hiding spots where you were (as it was the goblin palisade and cleared-out) so they needed to be that far away. That's where you're fleeing to, now.

Also, as Clay specified he sent Morrs away then, I'm not including him in Clay's action now. (There was no earlier mention of Huckleberry, but since he is still at 0hp and a non-combatant, I've assumed he went, too.)
C'ang, the leather clad dwarf, wounded the dragon and caused it to release Foxy, then stood before the massive creature, challenging it to combat. The wyrm, incensed, crashes to the ground before the dwarf. It is like time unfreezes abruptly, unwinding in a moment of chaos as everyone takes advantage of the dragon's momentary distraction.

Baxtaw abandons his post among the dwarves' makeshift fortification, first to flee back down the slope away from the now-angered red wyrm. Grizzly Woman grabs Foxy's prostrate body as soon as the dragon's paw drops it. The massive wild-woman slings the smaller red-haired swashbuckler over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes and sprints down the slope as well. Clay grabs up the dragon's lost tooth in his jaws, bounding on all fours after them.

C'ang is overcome by the dark rage of battle, facing down this dragon, this ancestral foe of dwarfkind. He screams in fury and brings his axe around in a two-handed downward hack upon the dragon's neck. The axe slides impotently off the beast's impervious scales as the dragon rolls over and regains his footing.

As the rest of the party escapes, C'ang occupies the dragon, distracting it by drawing its attention with his dwarfish bellowing. The wild-haired dwarf screams, raising his axe and charging straight at the dragon, hoping to land a mighty blow. The dragon's head swivels around with preternatural grace, though, and snaps up the dwarf in its jaws as simply as catching a tossed piece of meat. (-21hp) The dwarf's final warcry ends abruptly with a gulping, swallowing noise before his axe ever has a chance to land.

The party is several hundred yards away down the mountainside by the time the dragon looks back in their direction. As the party disappears into the mountain underbrush, the dragon snorts disdainfully. It snatches up one more toasted, crispy dwarf off the pyre for good measure, then turns and saunters back into the grand mine entrance behind it, casually smashing the last remaining section of the goblin's palisade wall with its tail as it passes by.

Crouching among the brambles down the mountain slope, the party members catch their breath. Halfpint appears from the underbrush next to them and helps to check Foxy's vitals. The claw wounds have shredded her blouse and the gouges now clot where her blood flowed freely, soaking the fabric red - she is mortally wounded and unconscious, but stable, perhaps slightly less wounded than they expected. (currently 0hp) They are able to bandage her so she can be moved onward with a litter, or she should wake on her own in a few hours. You know it is about a mile and a half to where you left the hirelings and mounts.

The party looks back a long moment at the pyre burning atop the hill. The billowing smoke of dozens of bodies rises into the sky, surely visible for miles and miles. There are no remains of C'ang, no sign of the dwarf who's actions permitted their escape. It is then that they realize that they also left the coffers of coins back up the slope in the clearing when they all fled.

Date: 10:40am, 06 June 2021
Light: Sunlight
Spell effects: None
Injuries: C'ang (Dead and eaten), Foxy (mortal injury), Huckleberry (mortal injury), Halfpint (grevious injury), Grizzly Woman (grevious injury), Baxtaw (grevious injury), Mors (mild injury)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#725 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Shakes his at the final outcome of the events. Cang is gone. Foxy is almost dead. The only thing of value we left the mountain with is that there are 2 more dragons out there. Starts making a stretcher so that they can get Foxy back to Gaul. We should move quickly back to Gaul warn them of the dragons in the region.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#726 Post by Stirling »

Scatha dragon gone...sneak back for treasure!!!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#727 Post by onlyme »

Marullus wrote:OOC: It is then that they realize that they also left the coffers of coins back up the slope in the clearing when they all fled.

[/ooc]
Is this the case with Halfpint's small sack and other smaller items as well? or are we talking just the chests and golden shield?

Halfpint looks around.
That dragon is no fool. It may just expect us to go get those items again. We need to warn the town immediately of the danger.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#728 Post by Starbeard »

Marullus wrote:(There was no earlier mention of Huckleberry, but since he is still at 0hp and a non-combatant, I've assumed he went, too.)
Yeah, that was my intention, though it was a little vague.
Starbeard wrote:She swats the bear to go hide with the others, and then moseys up with Foxy, Good Knife in hand and Grizzly's Trunk over her shoulder.
The Grizzly Woman has decided she doesn't like Big Dragons after all, and feels compelled to mark out her territory."If you all head back to the hired hands then I will be back just after I take care of something yet. Rest up and you head back to town if I am not back by the time you wake up."

She stalks back toward the clearing where she settles herself into a hiding spot at the edge of cover where she can watch over the entrance. If there is no evidence of the dragon after an hour and a half, or after she witnesses it fly off, she will attempt to sneak out and snatch the treasure. If the dragon is still in the mine she leaves her backpack and tree branch behind in her hiding spot, for silence and mobility.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#729 Post by Marullus »

Halfpint and Shortbread are still carrying their goods, as they left early. Those that fled during combat had did so without the weighted coffers. The updated status is below.
Marullus wrote:Okay, I'm allowing that those who wanted to grab treasure in an as-is mixed state did so. I'm also assuming that when grabbing a half-filled coffer that you took a moment and poured another coffer into it to top it off so you're taking a full container. :) This is what you have, and if you want more, you need to invest time to go back for it now.

The party considers what it grabbed, so as to not leave empty handed:
  • Foxy has the flaming sword of the goblin king. (Lying in palisade clearing where Foxy fell.)
  • Foxy's shield is now covered with a heavy layer of cooled gold metal (200gp) (Taken by the dragon)
  • Grizzly Woman is carrying a full dwarven chest of mixed coinage (100lbs of mixed CP, SP, and EP) (Sitting in palisade clearing)
  • Baxtaw is carrying a full dwarven chest of mixed coinage (100lbs of mixed CP, SP, and EP) (Sitting in palisade clearing)
  • Halfpint is carrying a small sack of mixed coinage (20lbs of mixed CP, SP, and EP)
  • Shortbread honored the Badger's request and is carrying the extra backpack, which contains Clay's scrolls, chainmail, etc.
  • Add: Shortbread carries a 60lb large sack with the personal effects of the deceased Blackhelm dwarves, unless forced not to.
The group now moves at 1/4 speed, with Halfpint able to scout ahead at 3/4 speed.
You expect Foxy to regain consciousness in less than six hours. You can wait or you can move. The cave you're heading to is a mile and a half away, which means that if Foxy isn't awake she needs to be dragged (a litter dragged by one PC at 1/4 speed) or carried (by two PCs with hands at 1/2 speed). Anyone carrying a coffer of treasure can't carry/drag Foxy.

Foxy is incapacitated and C'ang is dead. Clay doesn't have hands to carry a stretcher, but can be fitted to pull the sledge. If carried, it would be between Baxtaw, Halfpint, and Grizzly.

If Grizzly goes back for the two coffers alone, she cannot carry them both. She needs to make a sledge and drag them (still at 1/4 movement). You can make a sledge in a forested area in an hour, so she can invest to do that.

Date: 10:40am, 06 June 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: -2 to hit from exhaustion
Injuries: C'ang (Dead and eaten), Foxy (mortal injury), Huckleberry (mortal injury), Halfpint (grevious injury), Grizzly Woman (grevious injury), Baxtaw (grevious injury), Mors (mild injury)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#730 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- I shall wait for your return with the hired hands. As continues to make a stretcher for Foxy.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#731 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

We also specified at the scene's beginning that there was no cover or hiding spots where you were (as it was the goblin palisade and cleared-out) so they needed to be that far away. That's where you're fleeing to, now.

Also, as Clay specified he sent Morrs away then, I'm not including him in Clay's action now.
I had forgotten I had said that, though that has been my intent. Thanks. :) As for running, Clay was running toward the cover, not knowing if he would make it. Glad we did, thanks to C'ang. :(

We might not have those coffers, but I managed to grab Scatha's tooth. I wouldn't normally sell such a thing, but we are in this together. If that is what the group decides, it will be worth something. Clay scratches behind his ear with his hind foot, amazed at his range of motion. I have no magic to aid us, but Ms. O'Hare will wake soon enough. It is early still. Let's stay here and take the opportunity to rest. With eight hours, I can pray and regain Beith's gifts, which will help us reclaim those coffers. Clay looks for the safest spot for the group to hole up and asks Morr and Maurice to take the first watch.

Clay can ask Maurice to fly in and grab the sword, if he is large enough to carry it.
If we wait until Clay and Baxtaw have spells, Clay can cast Resist Fire or Bless on the Grizzly Woman before she attempts getting the coffers.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#732 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint agrees to go back to the hired hands and get the mounts asap. She will assist in building an efficient sledge.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#733 Post by Marullus »

So, this is a party split? Baxtaw and Halfpint are moving on to the cave carrying Foxy on a stretcher while Clay and Grizzly Woman stake out the cave and get the coffers?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#734 Post by Starbeard »

I think Clay is only heading back if he has spells to cast, which requires resting. Grizzly will be glad to wait for the spells, but either way she'll try to set up a scouting position toward the edge of the clearing, where she can rest and watch.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#735 Post by Marullus »

Okay. So...
  • Baxtaw and Halfpint carry Foxy to the cave on a stretcher (1/2 movement, about 90 minutes travel time).
  • Clay digs a badger hole and naps for eight hours, then memorizes spells for an hour.
  • Grizzly Woman stakes out hiding place to watch the palisade clearing for nine hours.

Grizzly's intent is to then make a sledge and drag the two coffers of coins to the retainer's cave (3 more hours travel time) when Clay is ready. That's intended arrival about an hour after dark tonight.

If that's accurate, there is one more resource I'll point out. Maurice the owl isn't nearly as tired as the rest of you. He could watch the clearing at Clay's request with instructions to wake one or both of you if something happens. This would give Grizzly a chance to nap and get rid of the -2 exhaustion penalty before acting.

Are all of those intents correct?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#736 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sounds fine, I suppose. But...

Before they set out with the unconscious party leader, Clay requests (again) that Ms. O'Hare stay with him until she wakes. Grizzly and I will not return until dark with the coffers. If you stay, I can offer healing to Ms. O'Hare much sooner and then our travel will be quicker.

Either way, he sets Maurice on watch, with instructions to wake the remaining party members if anything dangerous approaches the campsite. Or any activity from the dragon. Can you see inside that cavern to see if it is still there, my friend? He also instructs Maurice to let them know if anything tries to grab the coffers or the treasure. He then creates a burrow and curls up inside with Morr (and anyone that might want to sleep underground, except the bear - that's too much digging).

If there are any warg/wolf carcasses around, we can skin them later and try to use the pelts as a disguise to get closer to the coffers.
Does Baxtaw know the spell that carries things? He could could move the items much more quickly...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#737 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint utters her response,

Every hour we delay is a greater chance the mounts have been abandoned, taken or ran off. It also means we may be moving in the dark. I think we should all go there and heal up.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#738 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay shrugs. What you say is true. It is also true that the Grizzly Woman is set on retrieving her coffer. I will stay and lend what aid I can.
We will meet back at the cave. I will send Maurice ahead, so you know it is us that approach. Fare well.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#739 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Stirling wrote:If she can she will climb astride the dragons back and grip on his scaly neck, drawing the scimitar and willing it to flame red. (all those item xp being burned up at once)
Did this happen? If not, then Foxy would still have her scimitar sheathed, right? (She explicitly stated she was sheathing it as the dragon landed.) Just wondering about the need to retrieve the sword.

Also, when it comes time, Clay will cast that Mist spell he has access to, making it difficult for the dragon to see. Unless it flaps its wings or dispels magic... :?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#740 Post by Marullus »

No, that didn't happen. So that's a fair point. Her sword can still be sheathed and on her body.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”