It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 6950
Foxy tries to dodge out of the way, but the dragon snatches her up easily, plucking the proffered shield from her hands with it's other claw. It's sword-like talons flay her flesh as she struggles (-8hp) - she passed out with a scream of pain, swooning unconscious, grasped in it's meaty paw. With a single flap of it's massive wings, it is ready to ascend.

Clay stands upright on his hind legs, trying to negotiate further with the beast. The dragon's voice is a snear. "A tricky badger, I see... Northward? You would have me contest the territory of Lisssseth, or of Galgathael, then?" It makes the horrible, grating noise that might be laughter once more. "No. Your town is in my lands, and tribute is indeed what I demand. Livestock, Hah. It is Maiden that I prefer and Maidens that your town must provide or face my ruin."

Foxy's blood runs over it's scaled toes and sharp talons, dripping as the life runs out of her. The dragon prepared to ascend and fly off with her. Baxtaw and C'ang are ready, however - Baxtaw's arrow flies from the creature's flank and glances off it's thick hide. C'ang runs directly for the beast without fear, his family's axe biting into it's flesh before it can leave the ground.

C'ang gets to specify the effect desired by his critical hit.

We are using Foxy's first success, the dragon will deliver her to the town. We already addressed in your private forum that you cannot recruit a creature into your party that has more levels/HD than you, so the second action wouldn't have worked anyway.

Dragon claws [1d20] = 17 [1d8] = 6 [1d20] = 14 [1d8] = 5
C'ang [1d20] = 20 [1d8] = 1 Baxtaw [1d20] = 16 [1d8] = 8


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:01 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 2784
Location: Ithaca, NY
OOC:
I am confused how things went South so quickly. I thought the reaction roll was very positive. Wasn't Scatha just picking Foxy up? I thought the class description was just flavor,
not an indication that the dragon was using them. And Stirling had indicated she was willing to go, even rolling successful dexterity checks.
Can you explain where my (our?) misunderstanding was? If the rolls stand as is, Clay will try to get Foxy out of harm's way and stabilize her.

Also, the banner of pain isn't still active, is it?


Last edited by Marullus on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Added spoiler tags to condense OOC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:04 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 6950
OOC:
Foxy asked the dragon to 'fly her' and it agreed to 'deliver her.' I understand that Stirling had imaginings about riding the dragon, which she expressed in the second update, but that was not on the table... Before allowing a CHA test, I first check "would they be willing to do this at all?" The dragon will not submit to be ridden; no CHA check will do that.

I waited to see reaction when it reached out - I wanted to see if Foxy struggled. If she did, it risked damage (hence the dramatic claw descriptions). She stated that she wanted to dodge it's claw and instead jump on it's (unwilling) back, so I used the attack roll to resolve that intent. The dragon easily grabbed her as a result.

Since both Baxtaw and C'ang stated conditional actions, that they'd attack if Foxy was in danger, I then triggered those. C'ang got a critical hit, so has a chance to cause impact on the scene before it can escape.

The scene isn't actually that "far south" - the dragon is still executing Foxy's request to be delivered to town. Everyone else is getting to respond as they wish.

As for Clay, I resolved that as both a "say no" (the dragon is uninterested in relocating to suit Clay's wishes) and a "say yes" (it dropped valuable information and names of two other presumed dragons.)

As for the dragon now threatening to burn down Gaul if you don't start sacrificing maidens, I put that in the "it's a f'ing dragon" rule. Be careful what you wish for. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 2784
Location: Ithaca, NY
i kept hoping for Puff, I suppose. :roll:

That makes sense. Thanks. So got to figure out what to do about Foxy. Anyone have input? Let her go to town and get healed by the clerics at the Infirmary? Drag her off and stabilize her? I guess it depends on how the dragon reacts to C'ang and Baxtaw's attacks...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:28 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 5382
Location: Middle of Carolinas
It is all halfpint can do to stay quiet after watching foxy get picked up.

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:55 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:16 am
Posts: 2327
For myself, though a bit miffed that the second charisma roll didn't work out as planned, I did estimate that Foxy trying to draw the sword and jump on the dragons' back and ride off like the Lone Ranger on Silver might be another time her character and temperament choices don't work out so well, will she ever live to learn that 'Pride comes before a Fall'?

I would guess those springing from hidden spots to attack the creature might get torched as a result however well intentioned their rescue attempt of Foxy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:09 am
Posts: 2688
Location: England
So it's going well then. No worries, we got this in the bag.

The Grizzly Woman wipes her nose with her sleeve and grows bored of the back and forth, then does a surprised double-take at how quickly the scene has escalated. She steps forward and calls up to the dragon. "Well it is no good taking Foxy back if she is dead! Her heart is big as a dragon heart but the rest of her is tiny so be careful. I hope you have a way to put her back together where you are going, Big Dragon."

If the dragon attacks, she will charge forward and whup it. Otherwise, she will stand her ground where she is.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 2784
Location: Ithaca, NY
Though it goes unnoticed because of his fur, Clay pales when he sees Ms. O'Hare drop unconscious. Seeing C'ang's axe bite deeply, Clay and More day for cover. (Bringing Ms. O'Hare with them if the dragon decides to fight. If it still has her, Clay will hope she gets to town alive and can get healed there. Because, how long would it take the dragon to fly and deliver her there?)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:37 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 6950
Valdus - I am specifically holding for your input. The dragon looks poised to fly off, carrying Foxy.
- If I misinterpreted and you didn't intend to charge, just amend the action in your post and I'll cancel it.
- If you did charge (and thus rolled a critical hit) you get to specify a special impact per the house rules.

You can be creative, as long as it is modest in its impact. Some options for this scene would be:
- You could hit its paw, causing it to release Foxy.
- You could grasp a wing-edge, hit near its eye, or otherwise stymie it for a round so it can't leave yet (it loses one action).
- You could cause a lasting cosmetic injury ("gave 'im something to remember me by...") and you get that bit of it as a trophy.
- You could do max damage with your axe (10hp) to injure it.

How it responds will depend on your choices.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:52 am
Posts: 36
Location: New Orleans, LA
C'ang stood poised and let loose of his spring, slamming with his axe against the fowl claw that gripped Foxy. "You'll not use that against anyone ever again!" He stands ready to counter another attack.

[1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4[1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

C'ang will do everything he can to both free Foxy and damage the wyrm. But it might not happen with those rolls.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:15 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 12500
Location: Midwest
Valdus wrote:
C'ang will do everything he can to both free Foxy and damage the wyrm. But it might not happen with those rolls.


OOC: Per Marullus's roll for you in this post viewtopic.php?p=319752#p319752 C'ang already had a critical hit. That's why he's asking you what you want the effect of C'ang's critical hit to be. Like to have the dragon drop Foxy, for example.

_________________
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:31 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:41 pm
Posts: 3624
Location: Michigan
Baxtaw So I am lost are we battling the dragon or are we letting him take Foxy to Gaul in which we may return to Gaul and find it in ashes. Or find the residents feeding it maidens. I do not see any positives outcomes to this.

_________________
Bragar Battlehammer - (Cleric), Ravenloft
Xanophia-(Fight/Thief)-Dark Clouds Gather
Oxeander Longleaf- (Fight/MU), The Pits of Wob (1e AD&D)
Krakus(Barbarian )Village with no name
Grillock Dazbule "Can you help a brother out"
Kitchi Machk(Brave Bear) "Hidden Shrine of Tamochaon"
Craxzus Oaksword- "Silverymoon"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:34 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:52 am
Posts: 36
Location: New Orleans, LA
C'ang will seek to damage the wyrm as much as possible while freeing Foxy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 6950
Valdus wrote:
C'ang will do everything he can to both free Foxy...

Taking that as the action, then.

C'ang charges the dragon fearlessly, clad only in leathers, as it tries to take off with the unconscious Foxy. ""You'll not use that against anyone ever again!" he bellows, bringing his family's ancestral axe down hard, slicing deep into the great Wyrm's paw. (Critical hit, -3hp, effect: drop Foxy) Foxy's body spills out, bleeding, onto the hard earth.

The disbelief is tangible as time hangs in the air for a long moment. Even the casual damage of Foxy struggling against it's claw was enough to mortally wound her, so great is this creature... And there the dwarf stands, challenging it in leathers, wild haired, axe in hand.

Clay and Morrs dive for cover. Half-pint disappears in the brush. The Grizzly Woman stands her ground and wipes her nose. Baxtaw considers another shot but can't even get it into his bow.

The dragon roars. "DWAAAARF!!! How DARE you strike me!" Already trying to rise off the ground, it tries to redirect, pulling back it's wounded claw and swinging around to snap the dwarf up in it's jaws. It's maw -- so large it could snap even the bear in half with one bite -- comes around at the leather-clad dwarf, missing and smacking into the ground as it's momentum goes off-kilter. (Critical fumble, lose next round's action) One of it's teeth bounces out into the dirt near C'ang, while it's body loses lift and falls sideways, crashing to the ground in a heap.

(Actions? Post two rounds.)




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 pm
Posts: 2784
Location: Ithaca, NY
This is pretty epic. Totally not in Clay's character to jump in, especially without magic. What is Shortbread doing? He has the Horn of Jarkul. He should probably use it.

Clay continues to rush toward the brush (in the direction of his donkey, preferably) with Ms. O'Hare on his back. He mutters with much concern about this not being why the group is here, clearly torn about leaving his companions to face a dragon. Morr follows the badger-cleric. Once he is tuched in amongst some rocks, clear of the dragon's sight, Clay works to stabilize Ms. O'Hare.

If there was time to grab the dragon tooth, Clay will take it/have Morr carry it in his mouth.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:35 pm 
Offline
Strider
Strider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:52 am
Posts: 36
Location: New Orleans, LA
The leathered dwarf watches the dwarf go down, covered in dragon blood he will seek a vital area and chop at it, twice if necessary.

OOC: C'ang will hack at hopefully the head or something vital before him, twice. He is covered in blood (I suspect) and will give into the darkness of battle. It will be something difficult to stop.

Round 1
[1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12[1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

Round 2
[1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6[1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:45 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:16 am
Posts: 2327
perhaps the time is right for Shortbread to blow the Horn of Jarkul? just to add a bit more mayhem to the scene and carnage?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:25 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 am
Posts: 5382
Location: Middle of Carolinas
Halfpint watches Foxy die (from what she can see). Then, the newly rescued dwarf attempts to take down the dragon. She can only hope she has made herself as hidden as she knows. She watches and waits.

(if it appears she could quietly and stealthily move around the wooded parameter to where Clay ran off to, she will. If it is on the opposite side, she will wait.)

_________________
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Geoffrey Blood - male pirate from Briton (Pirates:Cannon and Dragons) 1e homebrew
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Junius - male dwarf pincushion (Dave's Mega-dungeon) LL
Manoah Lasley - male ranger of royal blood (A New Hope in the West) OSRIC
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:34 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:41 pm
Posts: 3624
Location: Michigan
Baxtaw- Not seeing any good outcome and no commitment from the other adventurers he pulls himself out of the fight. He moves quickly as he can away from the action and takes cover.

_________________
Bragar Battlehammer - (Cleric), Ravenloft
Xanophia-(Fight/Thief)-Dark Clouds Gather
Oxeander Longleaf- (Fight/MU), The Pits of Wob (1e AD&D)
Krakus(Barbarian )Village with no name
Grillock Dazbule "Can you help a brother out"
Kitchi Machk(Brave Bear) "Hidden Shrine of Tamochaon"
Craxzus Oaksword- "Silverymoon"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:26 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:41 pm
Posts: 6950
Holding for Grizzly Woman.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group