Fingers: The Kobold Tower: Part II - 13 June 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Fingers: The Kobold Tower: Part II - 13 June 2021

#381 Post by Zhym »

"I guess this isn't a good place for people to come, what with dragons and all," admits Fingers. "And even with an neat cloak, I don't wannt try stealing dragon eggs! Dragon mamas hold grudges. Or so I've heard. Anyway, seems a shame to leave the place empty. Another bunch of kobolds or worse'll probably take it over or something if we do."

I'm okay with heading back to town. Someone should grab the headdress or take a good look at it to see if there's any value to it. Tippin won't be enthusiastic about dragging silver, silver bars, and salt fish (at 40 gp/barrel, they might have a higher value:weight ratio than the silver bars) back to town, but we might as well.

Did we leave any outbuildings unexplored? And I'll echo Spearmint's comment that it may be worth mapping the grounds and Rusty's question about whether we can shoot the creatures on the barn from here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Marullus »

There are two small shed-like buildings built against the sides of the tower. There is a long mortared-stone outbuilding about 40 yards from the tower on the west side, most of its roof caved in, likely once a human-style horse barn. On the north side of the clearing are a mound of well-preserved logs under a collapsed pavilion next to what was once a stone sawmill.
You cleared the rat-lizards from the pavilion and took the portable treasures, but left the block and tackles and block of silver, both of which have value if hauled. You inspected the sawmill next to it, finding the moose-goose... meece-geese... inside and leaving them. Fingers checked on the roof and saw the lizard-chicken with golden eggs, also leaving them.

You haven't explored the two outdoor sheds against the tower or the horse barn to the west of the tower.

The "goblin dungeons" refers to: "4 - Burnt-out Goblin Hole. Site of the Vaul Guard's first victory." It is what Idriss and Ablesforth propose for the next adventure, being Templars.

Treasures so far:
  • 500lbs of bronze winching equipment (left in pavilion)
  • 400lb cube of silver (left in pavilion)
  • A copper disc-shaped amulet with a green patina hung from a golden chain
  • A wizard scroll
  • 277 copper coins
  • 700 silver coins
  • An elf scroll
  • A scroll of Ward vs Undead
  • An elven cloak
  • A dwarven handaxe
  • Headdress of the Kobold Chief: The headdress is made of red-black chicken-like feathers, but much larger in their size.
  • 10 empty barrels
  • 6 barrels of salt fish
  • 10 human roundshields
  • 20 kobold spears
  • 20 leather slings
Ablesforth and the dwarves have no problem fashioning a sledge which the mule can pull. Doing so, the mule can haul 800lbs. Each PC can haul 320lbs with a similarly contrived sledge. (Encumberance Rules) You are eight miles due-north of Beith's watch - moving at 1/4 speed to drag the sledges over the plains, it will take 16 hours (one day).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by Zhym »

So, about 40 yards to the chicken-lizard? Short range for a longbow...

OTOH, if that's a cockatrice, we do not want to mess with it. OTOOH, has anyone heard of a cockatrice laying gold eggs?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#384 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:So, about 40 yards to the chicken-lizard? Short range for a longbow...

OTOH, if that's a cockatrice, we do not want to mess with it. OTOOH, has anyone heard of a cockatrice laying gold eggs?
OOC: Yes, the feathered headdress might bring a pretty penny. Maybe we cast Detect Magic on all the stuff to make sure something doesn't have magical value before we pawn it off as just being regular? Like the copper amulet on the gold chain or the headdress...

I say we build a sledge, use the block and tackle to winch the block of silver onto the sledge, and use the mule to haul it back to town. 400lbs of silver should make it worth our time! We might disguise it with barrels of fish, though...

Maybe it's a mutated cockatrice? You don't turn into a stone statue, but a golden one! Hey, Fingers, go try and take one of those eggs. Let's see what happens...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#385 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Also, I'm fine with exploring the outer sheds and the horse barn before we leave. Maybe more to be found here. We should leave the golden egg laying lizard chicken for another time, maybe...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by Zhym »

Yeah, we can leave the chicken lizard. We've made out reasonably well. I'd hate to ruin it by getting greedy.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by Spearmint »

4oolb cube of silver has got to be worth mega $$, even touting it to the Duke so he can print some coinage with his head on it.

Idriss has the three scrolls, he can bag up the leather slings and flog them to farmers for scaring crows away from the seeds.

He will offer to map if folk want to explore further.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by Zhym »

Silver is worth 1 gp/lb. So we'd probably get 400 gp for the 400 lb block of solid silver, assuming we can get book value for it. Not pocket change, but not "mega $$," either.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Happy to expire the compound more. Able has locate traps memorized twice.

As I mentioned, I have detect magic memorized and will use it on our loot. Do we want to do it once today, early, to look at what we have so far, or wait until night and pile it all together for one look? If the latter, he will have one more CLW for the walk back.

Golden eggs would bring in a lot of XP... We could wait until tomorrow and Able could memorized more useful spells. As could Idriss, focusing on magic missiles. But that is a player speaking,
not his character.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by Zhym »

"We've got a few days of rations left and some barrels full of fish," says Fingers. "Let's magically look for traps and check the other outbuildings before we go."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#391 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek agrees to this plan.

When everyone is ready...

OOC: How is everyone for hit points? Does anyone need healing? I think Rhybek might need some.

...Rhybek will wait for Able to detect any traps near the unexplored sheds and horse barn, then lead the way to the sheds next to the tower first.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss is ready, he goes with Rhybek, armed with new spells and his staff in hand.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

After Rhybek has offered an appropriate confession, Ablesforth administers the heeling. He kneels with his holy symbol in his hand. Eruanna, this feller's given a truth. Please be the judge of it's merit and heal Brother Rhybek up for us. Thanks.

Able casts find traps and sets off around the yard, marking out the traps and, if he can tell, how they work. He will start with the main areas the group will be. If the spell effect ends before he is finished, he can recast it to finish the job.
That's it for healing for today.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#394 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:After Rhybek has offered an appropriate confession, Ablesforth administers the heeling. He kneels with his holy symbol in his hand. Eruanna, this feller's given a truth. Please be the judge of it's merit and heal Brother Rhybek up for us. Thanks.

Able casts find traps and sets off around the yard, marking out the traps and, if he can tell, how they work. He will start with the main areas the group will be. If the spell effect ends before he is finished, he can recast it to finish the job.
That's it for healing for today.
Rhybek confesses, "I was trying very hard to negotiate with those kobold dogs, but in my heart I just wanted to kill them all. I don't want to kill ALL kobolds, mind you. Those that leave us and ours alone can live as they may. But these here were bloody deceptive creatures that obviously feasted on man and elf and dwarf."

OOC: Gracias. Ummm... How much did that do?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Marullus »

CLW [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

Rhybek is fully healed.
Ablesforth and Neegan are only down 1hp each.
Everyone else is fully healed.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Yeah. Sorry. I had rolled that when I posted but forgot to post it. Nice confession.

Later, as they leave the tower, Able confides to the others, I felt the same way. Them buggers was seriously nasty.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by Zhym »

"They hurt Sprinkes," repeats Fingers, as if that's all that needs to be said.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ablesforth starts by walking slowly around the grounds, always keeping an eye out for enemies as well as the traps. He marks the traps with sticks, being careful not to trigger them. Once the yard is fully marked, he moves slowly toward the small, shed-like structures adjacent to the tower. He listens carefully as he approaches. He hopes the others are ready with missile weapons.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#399 Post by Dram »

Neegan- With his wounds, Neegan will stay back and engage with his crossbow in case there trouble.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by Zhym »

Fingers continues to keep watch out of a tower window. "We've got plenty of food. Let's get everyone healthy before we go looking for more trouble."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”