Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 202

#281 Post by Marullus »

The camp is abustle with dawn activity. The dwarven cookfire smelling of rich savory stew while the ogres break their fast on some stringy meat, eyeing the camp below.

The short-bearded dwarf, who Thundred identifies as a nephew, awakens groggily to the relief of his companions. Cardan is fully recovered. Baxtaw, Foxy, and Clay all feel some small relief I need their wounds, which continue to mend.

Date: 7:00am, 04 June 2021
Light: Sunlight
Distance: None today
Spell effects: None
Injuries: Foxy (mild injury), Baxtaw (mild injury), Clay (mild injury)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay packs his few belongings onto Asala and sees to Morr and Maurice. He approaches the initial group, including Ms. O'Hare. Last night, Thundred asked what our plan was. He didn't seem impressed with the idea of just marching into the King's chambers. Does anyone have a better plan in mind?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw-Packs up his gear. Glad I did not scare them Ogres off last night.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint eats and readies her equipment.

"So, what's our plan?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Stirling »

just checking an ooc time calendar thing. The New Moon came with the Greenleaf festival but the moon is at its' highest and fullest a few days later. If the Sdubok (goblin deity) gloaming festival was 4th May and we are now 4th June that may be 28 days ago, not sure what calendar we are using. My thought was that the goblin priest might be doing worship or devotionals based on a lunar cycle and so may be outside the palisade with more bonfires or something at this time. This is important to note if is actually so as it could take lots of the goblins focus away.

Foxy would suggest that the ogres attack the main gate palisade, to create a diversion more than anything else. Using the cave we found as a base, perhaps to retreat to. Shame we don't have enough time to explore the back tunnel further than we did. While the front gates are being assaulted, a smaller commando group need to enter the goblin HQ via the back door that Balex indicated could be found in the rear hills.

Clay can you learn the spell, speak with the dead?. If so and if (lots of if's in Foxy's plan....) the ashes of the pyres still remains, there could be remnants of Balexs' body, his bones, teeth, spirit?. Can you convince a dead goblin spirit to aid us with the promise that he might Phoenix like rise from the ashes to claim his throne?

The question is all about timing and I don't think just running into a frontal assault a good idea. The dwarves and the ogres follow Clays charisma so you should stay with them and lead the gate attack. Perhaps with a couple of the retainers looking after the pack animals and gear as back up. The rest of us, Foxy, Baxtaw, Grizzly and Honeysuckle, Half-Pint and one retainer find the back door. With luck and blessing, we all meet in the middle, Kings audience chamber.

any other suggestions.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote:just checking an ooc time calendar thing. The New Moon came with the Greenleaf festival but the moon is at its' highest and fullest a few days later. If the Sdubok (goblin deity) gloaming festival was 4th May and we are now 4th June that may be 28 days ago, not sure what calendar we are using. My thought was that the goblin priest might be doing worship or devotionals based on a lunar cycle and so may be outside the palisade with more bonfires or something at this time. This is important to note if is actually so as it could take lots of the goblins focus away.
We're using a real-world analog. New moon was the gloaming festival on 4th May, and then also at the Greenleaf festival on 01 June. So, we're four days past the new moon - it has only grown to 8% illumination crescent moon at this point (not full moon).

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Stirling »

how far are we away from the goblin HQ? Also Clay can you converse with the ogres regarding their dealing with the 'dead walkers' they had knowledge of.

It might take a day or so to find any rear entrance to the goblin HQ, we need to find that before we get a group to assault the palisade so we can synchronise our movements. And decide who is where.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Not unless they speak the common tongue or bird. If we can keep this group together for a day, i could heal those that need it before we enter the goblin hold.

They seemed to respond to hill giant, so Foxy should ask her about the back entrance and how many dead warriors there are. Clay will accompany her.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Marullus »

The ogres have stayed on for a morning assault; they are not interested in loitering a day while you prepare. They'll continue on their way to the southern mountains if action is not imminent.

Kelso, Garvell, and Cardan are hirelings and not signed-on for the assault. They'll all stay back to guard the mounts at the rear. If you wish to convince them to join with you on an assault (either front or back door) then you need to renegotiate their terms (new retainer roll to see if they're willing, and offer at least a 1/2 share of XP and treasure).

The dwarves are willing to bide their time a day if needed; as this will allow their injured fellow to recover before battle it is appreciated.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Stirling »

well just to turn up and rally against a fortified palisade is not sense at all. We need to scout it out and not rush in blindly and importantly, we need to find the back door. The frontal assault should prove to be a distraction. How far to the palisade? and the cave we used that was a few hundred yards away?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Marullus »

Stirling wrote:well just to turn up and rally against a fortified palisade is not sense at all. We need to scout it out and not rush in blindly and importantly, we need to find the back door. The frontal assault should prove to be a distraction. How far to the palisade? and the cave we used that was a few hundred yards away?
When you arrived here at the cave with the warg riders, you estimated yourselves to be about 16 miles southwest of Farrow Farm. Clay's memory, bolstered by Maurice's recent scouting, estimates that the Goblin King's Halls are about eight more miles ahead of you in that direction. The sleeping cave which Balex took you to (which was beyond the wolves patrol line) is about a mile or two closer to you (or, six miles). Foxy and Clay are fairly confident they can find it again.

The whole group could march (3/4 speed, 1.5mph)on and be expected to reach the palisade in under 6 hours, or about 1:00pm. The ogres would be along for that march, but come nightfall they'll continue on towards the mountains.

Bluebelle, carrying Foxy and Halfpint (anyone larger will slow her down), could reach there in half that time, giving extra time to search if you want to look for the back door. (Standard searching rules, you have a 1-in-3 chance for every four hours spent looking.) Bringing riders on both Bluebelle and Peck, you could reach it in about four hours, as Peck the pony isn't as fleet as Bluebelle the riding the horse.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Not wanting to press the ogres patience, Clay urges action today. If we come across any goblins today, they are more likely to be persuaded to assist us with the ogres present. Then a group can sneak in the back way. He also offers to heal the dwarf that skewered himself on Ms. O'Hare's blade so Thundred's company is at full strength.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint agrees,
Let's hit 'em while we have a concerted army. Then, when the ogres do leave us, we call out as if they marched to set up an ambush in one direction , so the baddies are constantly fearing more attacks.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"Okay, we assail the gates with the ogres. Just remember though that the 100gp reward for knocking the gates down is held within the goblin HQ, so we must press home any breach in the defences we can create. Attacking in sunlight too might offer us an advantage I didn't previously think about," says Foxy, stitching up her blooded and shredded blouson. Can't let the rips be too revealing.

Foxy will also approach Clay about negotiating with Thundred regarding the 'battleplan'

Battleplan:

Foxy suggests: to Grizzly Gal, Baxtaw, Half-pint and Clay.

We get the ogres to attack the gates and palisade of the goblin HQ by launching rocks at the fortifications. They may be able to throw as far as we can fire arrows. They must have lots of ammo, enough rocks to sustain a long battery of the defences to keep the goblins heads down. Each of the ogres is shielded by a fence of three of Thundreds' dwarves. They must stay guarding the ogres and engaging any wargs and riders sent to melee them. They have to be patient in breaching the defences and taunting the goblins to ride out to them.

I am hoping at least we can create a diversion enough for the rest of use to find and breach the back entrance. That is us five, Mors and Honeysuckle included. 'Shortbeard' is promised to squire for you Clay following my confrontation with Thundred, perhaps he may act as Baxtaws companion. I would suggest leaving two of the retainers with the packs and steeds in the cave six miles back, (no need to inform the ogres where that is, just in case they get ogrish ideas), take one of the retainers along if willing Halfpint as a full-share retainer to you. Each of you then have a comrade to defend your backs. I trust you all to watch mine.

We sneak in. Our primary objective is to secure the return or destruction of the 'Fingers of Zhint' from the hands of the goblin king. We kill all who oppose us, once the relic is firmly in our grasp, we leave, causing enough destruction to waylay any pursuers. Secondary objectives are to kill the goblin priest Dmukaz, destroy the animation of an undead army and secure the release of any captives detained inside.

Once with 'Fingers in hand' so to speak, we are out we force march back across the hills to Gaul. Duke subscribes beer and tributes all round.

any comments?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hearing that Ms. O'Hare and Halfpint also believe the assault should proceed today, Clay nods at Ms. O'Hare's plan. He heads to Thundred and asks to be shown to his nephew. Good morning. I am Clay Weatherwax, Druid of Beith. Your wounds were grievous. I am glad to see you awake. Clay explains (presumably again) that the Thundred's outfit has agreed to join the adventurers, including Ms. O'Hare, and a band of ogres in assailing the hold of the goblin King, letting it all sink. You are in no shape to come along, sadly, though I could tend to your wounds if you wish to follow your uncle.

Clay rinses some cobwebs off with clean water and sprinkles salt on it before laying it over the wounds and covering it with sphagnum moss. He places his hands over the wound and meditates. After a few minutes have passed the area above the newly healed dwarf is suddenly filled with songbirds. Clay rises and takes his leave with Thundred, explaining the details of Ms. O'Hare's plan, asking that a dwarf accompany Baxtaw and that the dwarfs act to keep any wargs from attacking the ogres so they can concentrate on hurling rocks at the goblin hold. And anything else that Stirling mentioned...

Cure Light Wounds [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Marullus »

The dwarves agree to hold their line beyond the goblin's bowshots and melee those that come forth while the ogres breach the gates with thrown boulders. Assaulting before the gates are breached is far less advisable, Thundred agrees.

The shortbearded dwarf stands with chin raised. "I would stand by my uncle for the battle no matter my condition," he replies, but he does acknowledge Clay gratefully when the healing is administered. The dwarves are ready for the march.

Any further discussion? Is everyone onboard?

Foxy's failed attempts earlier did not commit Shortbeard as Clay's retainer. Clay or Baxtaw can offer him greater reward and try to recruit him now if he wishes (full share of treasure, 1/2 share of xp for dwarven retainer, then make the 2d6 rolls). It is their choice to do so.

Kelso and Garvell will remain in the cave, about 1.5 miles back, with Asala the donkey, Peck the Pony, and Bluebelle the horse.

Cardan, the hardiest of the retainers, will remain with them. If Halfpint wishes otherwise, then she must offer the upgraded service contract (at least 1/2 treasure, 1/2 xp, then do the 2d6 rolls to make the offer).

All moving at marching-rate, you all can arrive in just under 6 hours, leaving the ogres and dwarves with instructions on beginning the assault, and then the rest of you starting to search for a back entrance (4 hours per roll). I will allow one roll per team if you divide up. You currently are counting:
- Foxy O'Hare
- Clay Weatherwax
- Baxtaw Greayburst
- Halfpint
- Grizzly Woman
- Huckleberry the Bear
- Morrs the Dog

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- will offer Shortbread a full share of the treasure in the assault on the goblin encampmemt. We shall need to all help we can muster.

Retainer roll[2d6] = 6
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint likewise suggests to Cardan the ability to make more coin and glory by going with them in battle.

retainer upgrade [2d6] = 8
: retainer upgrade reroll [2d6] = 9

But, no matter her words, she can tell she is not convincing enough.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Marullus »

Cardan is reticent in the face of Halfpint's offer. "Err... so, I can stay two miles back and be watchin' Peck here, or I can come with you to find a back door to the Goblin King's own halls, sneak in, and hope the pair of us can fight our way to the front door? Ummm... I think I'll meet you when you get back, if there's no offense."

The short-bearded dwarf, now healed by Clay, is honored by Baxtaw's offer. He readily accepts, waddling forward on his stout legs to stand proudly by the elf. "You probably can't pronounce my name, it might be easier if you call me Shortbread," he tells him, opening a wrapped package of heavy, sweet confections from his pack and offering them to Baxtaw. "Made 'em myself."

The pairings look around at each other -- Baxtaw and Shortbread the dwarf, Clay and Morrs, Grizzly and Huckleberry, Foxy and Halfpint -- confirming before taking their final action.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

So we get 4 rolls for discovery for each 4 hours of "siege." What is the likelihood of the dwarfs and ogres lasting more than 4 hours?

I just had a thought that maybe a local bird has an idea of the whereabouts.

Clay Weatherwax walks a short distance to into the woods. Using bread crumbs, he whistles to the birds in the area, seeking direction to a secret entrance to the goblin warren. He promises them dried berries and more bread in exchange for information.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”