Expedition - Amistad: Down the Morlock Hole - 06 July 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Amistad: Down the Morlock Hole - 06 July 20

#21 Post by Zhym »

"Hunh," grunts Olaf to himself.

Thanks, Marullus. 266sp deducted; 340 sp converted to 34 sp.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

"Careful," Earc warns the others. "Don't trust anything you see in these woods, especially if it is a woman by herself. Keep an eye out to our flanks and rear. Make sure we aren't being surrounded."

Earc observes her a bit more before moving any closer. Does she look completely human? He tries to take note of her ears and eyes. Is she armed? What is she wearing? Any jewelry? Restraints?

If all appears normal, he calls out in common, "Hello! We work for the Duke of Gaul; no need to be afraid of us. What is your name?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Doesn't look like she got flippers for legs so a mermaid is ruled out. Not unless the Morlock critters bred with her and changed her form."

Amistad will whisper to Achaedany to approach the lady cautiously with Earc, "Might be less afraid to see us with female company. Be careful how you step though, willow bends well and makes good arrows as well as traps."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

The woman peers around the side of a willow trunk at the party, a petite hand upon its bark as her face slowly comes around. Her hair is long and wavy, a deep brown. She wears a broomstick skirt and blouse, both woven of willow fronds. She has no jewelry, no shoes, no other ornament. "What are you?" she asks in a tentative, uncertain voice.

Achaedany wrinkles her nose at Amistad's suggestion. "Can't say she's my type. An' nobody's ever called me friendly." She grudgingly moves up to stand behind Earc, crossbow on-hand. The woman retreats slightly behind the tree.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Zhym »

"Nor mine, lass," answers Olaf. "Hardly got any beard on 'er at all."

He scowls at the tree. "I hear there be women who live in trees. Can just look at a man and make 'im go all googly-eyes. He be thinking he getting lucky, then she trap him in a tree. Not so lucky."

"I say we stay clear and get gone."
Sorry if this is too much knowledge of the bestiary, but I figure anyone who grew up underground working with rocks would have been told spooky stories about women who lure men to their death in trees.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

Earc

Earc studies the woman intently, then his eyes take on a dreamy appearance.
What? That's crazy speak. What can be so dangerous about such a... a beautiful woman? I'm... I'm sur there's no harm in... in just talking to her for a while...

He begins waking towards the woman, stumbling on anything that might be in his way.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

"Whoa! Hey dere, lad!" says Olaf. "Don't be gettin' yerself starting something ye not be able to finish!" He tries to tackle Earc to stop him wandering off at the dangerous tree lady.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

I love that Olaf's dwarven moral to the story is, "and so... both trees and women are dangerous." :)

Achaedany startles and leaps to Olaf's aid, the pair of them pulling Earc backwards, holding him from walking forwards.

The girl's eyes go wide (or wider, as they were already great brown doe-like pools) and she pulls back behind the tree trunk out of sight.

Date/Time: 9:38am, 07 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Distance Travelled: ~2.5 miles today
Injuries: None

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

Earc

"Let... let me go! I need to go to her! No! She leaves! Let... go!"

Earc is obviously not strong enough to fight off either. But he weakly struggles for a bit, none the less.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

The group restrains Earc for a few minutes. While his desire never slackens, the maiden does not re-appear from behind the tree.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Well I wasn't sure if she was a hag creature, mermaid or what. Seems like she just disappeared without so much as a splash."

Amistad will look around, the tree she stepped behind was a willow, "I have heard but maybe not accurately that like druids favour leaves and mistletoe from certain trees, these wood sprite ladies also favour certain trees, great Oaks, majestic Pines, giant Redwood...the sort of ones we loggers would lop down.

If we found her tree we could force...or rather ask, her to release young Earc from any spell, perhaps get her to aide us. Living in the forest of hybrids she must know of the Morlock breeds. Perhaps more fearful of them than us."

Look for a big resplendent tree and still watch over earc so he doesn't cast any spell on us is he is charmed by her feminine wiles.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

"Go toward the tree woman? Are ye mad??" cries Olaf, doing his best to drag Earc away from the dangerous situation. "We needs to be getting out of here while we still can!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

I just want to say, I <3 you guys so hard.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

Earc looks around, slightly dazed.

"Where'd she go?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

Olaf and Achaedany keep Earc restrained and begin dragging him backwards away from the tree. Akkara remains with them, watching the willows ahead dubiously.

Blackjack Amistad ponders a new plan, one forcing the wood-sprite to reveal its secrets. He flanks the tree and sees the girl behind the broad trunk, her big eyes looking momentarily frightened of him. She circles around the trunk a bit further to keep it mostly between them, allowing Earc and the others to see her backside.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Amistad goes on the hunt for a likely majestic tree, some forest dream home by the river. "I could live around here too," he says, a rare smile coming across his face, "Ain't too bad, nice view, pleasant countryside, pleasant host. Keep the Grumpbears away with my axe, but hey, could leave the logging alone and enjoy creation as it was meant to be. Do a little fishing, make friends with the One-eyed Neighbours." (waffle, blurb...)

Amistad puts away his axe and walks towards the girl like a kid playing 'hide and seek'.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

"There she is," Earc cries out, straining feebly to break Olaf's grip.

"You guys are so strong."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Zhym »

"Ach!" cries Olaf in horror and disbelief as he tries to drag Earc away. "Now she got Amistad, too! Achaedany, go stop the lad from getting hisself treed! I'll get Earc outta here!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Marullus »

Achaedany and Akkara approach cautiously to grab Amistad and, if necessary, pull him away by force.

Amistad?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”