[Scenario 1] The Edge of Darkness

geomys
Strider
Strider

Re: [Scenario 1] The Edge of Darkness

#161 Post by geomys »

"Hold up, Jed. I'll come along."

He'll search for a path with Jed, and slowly approach the house looking for anything out of place on the ground or outer walls.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#162 Post by Scott308 »

Elmer "Big City" Ramsey

Big City happily accepts the shotgun, looking it over before putting it to shoulder and sighting various "targets" in the area. He gives Jed a big smile. This is a right fine gun, sir. I'll be sure to take good care of it while I use it. I'll stay here to make sure the others are protected while you go off and have a quick look-see. After making sure the gun is loaded, he will cradle it in the crook of his left elbow, so he can quickly and easily bring it to bear on a target.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#163 Post by ken-do-nim »

MI70 wrote:Jed

Jed will look for a path or dirt road to the house and make a Track (60%) or Spot Hidden (75%) check as needed to see if anyone (or thing) has been there recently.
He also gives his .22 and shotgun to the best qualified shooters (maybe Jasmine and Elmer, but people can choose.).
He belts on his hunting knife, fills his pockets with ammo, and checks his own 30.06 while he thinks about the best approach.
There's really nothing to track in the tall grass around the house, but I'll give you a Spot Hidden.

Rolling ... 1d100+0
7+0 = 7

Success!

As Jed makes his way towards the house, he finds a recently dead raccoon lying in the knee-high grass. Let me know if you wish to inspect the corpse.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#164 Post by ken-do-nim »

geomys wrote:"Hold up, Jed. I'll come along."

He'll search for a path with Jed, and slowly approach the house looking for anything out of place on the ground or outer walls.
Jed already spotted the corpse, and he points it out to Archie. But looking ahead at the front door of the house, you see a strange carving over the front door lintel. In fact, there are carvings over the windows as well. I'll give you an Occult check to see if you can make something of them ... I think you are at the 5% base chance.

1d100+0
85+0 = 85

No clue.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#165 Post by ken-do-nim »

Pulpatoon wrote:Doctor Pale: "Shall we discuss our manner of approach? I'm afraid the protocols of the situation quite escape me. Should we knock upon the door? Enter directly? Or, em, scout about a bit? Is that the sort of thing one does in this species of circumstance?"
As a reminder, you have the key to the front door in your possession.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#166 Post by MI70 »

Jed

Jed will take a quick look at the 'coon to see if it looks like it was killed by a scary monster, shot, or just died of natural causes.

He peers around for any dangers and then cautiously edges his way toward the door.

He will also take a look at the runes over the door and copy them down on a piece of paper.
"Might come in handy," he mutters.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Stirling »

Jasmine Faversham

She turns her nose up at the coon. I say, put that thing down, covered in fleas, looks too mangy even for skinning as gloves

Jasmine will look through the window pane, clearing the dust from the glass with her scarf. She is looking for movement and any sign of this lady Maggie being inside.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#168 Post by ken-do-nim »

Jed will take a quick look at the 'coon to see if it looks like it was killed by a scary monster, shot, or just died of natural causes.

He peers around for any dangers and then cautiously edges his way toward the door.

He will also take a look at the runes over the door and copy them down on a piece of paper.
"Might come in handy," he mutters.
Jed finds a stick and gingerly turns the 30 pound raccoon corpse over. The animal's breast is stained with clotted blood, and a large hole has been chewed into its chest. I'll give you the base Medicine chance to realize anything further. Base is 5%. Rolling ...

1d100+0
87+0 = 87

Nope.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#169 Post by ken-do-nim »

Stirling wrote:Jasmine Faversham

She turns her nose up at the coon. I say, put that thing down, covered in fleas, looks too mangy even for skinning as gloves

Jasmine will look through the window pane, clearing the dust from the glass with her scarf. She is looking for movement and any sign of this lady Maggie being inside.
The front room, from what you can see through the window, lies dirty and unused. Dust everywhere, and even dried leaves. You can just make out an old couch.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#170 Post by MI70 »

Jed

Jed motions to Dr. Pale to have a look at the raccoon.
"You might best have a gander, Doc. It don't look like this poor critter died natural." He shudders and finishes copying the runes over the door and any windows.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#171 Post by ken-do-nim »

Jed motions to Dr. Pale to have a look at the raccoon.
"You might best have a gander, Doc. It don't look like this poor critter died natural." He shudders and finishes copying the runes over the door and any windows.
I'll move things along. Dr. Pale inspects the poor raccoon. 70% for medicine ... 01, critical success!

Dr. Pale can see that the ribs were gnawed apart and then its heart neatly eaten out. Anything less than a critical success, and you would have to entertain the idea that a fox did this, but your expert inspection reveals that the edges of the wound are too neat for that.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#172 Post by MI70 »

Jed

"That's a might disheartening," mutters Jed.
"Less'n anyone's got a better idea, I'd say we get inside and try to take care of this thing before it finds us."
He will peer in the windows as well and then cautiously try the key.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#173 Post by ken-do-nim »

The door opens easily with the key.

The front room of the house is dirty and long untouched. Dust lies thickly on the mantel and empty shelves while dead leaves and detritus cover the floor. The wooden floor is badly warped and stained, the result of water leaking through the roof and ceiling. Rot has eaten away at an old couch and matching wing chairs. Perhaps that is the source of the faint foul odor everywhere in the room? There are doors to other rooms here as well.

At this point I have you all huddled at the entrance peering in.

As a reminder, no one has gone around back to see if there is another entrance either, yet.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#174 Post by MI70 »

Jed

Against his better judgment, Jed will take point.
First looking for signs that any large beast or person has been there recently, he takes care not to disturb any tracks. He then moves into the room as quietly and stealthy as he can, rifle at the ready.
If nothing horrible happens, he will motion the group ahead to slowly check the other rooms. He takes care to avoid the attic or basement and avoids crossing any other doors/windows with runes on them. He will also try to keep an eye out for any notes left by the Professor and his crew or any sign of their earlier ritual. "Never thought I'd hunt no monsters, but here goes," he whispers to himself.

geomys
Strider
Strider

#175 Post by geomys »

"Nice place. My intuition is telling me to check for a back entrance."

Archie tips his fedora and heads out to keep inspecting the grounds.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#176 Post by ken-do-nim »

Against his better judgment, Jed will take point.
First looking for signs that any large beast or person has been there recently, he takes care not to disturb any tracks. He then moves into the room as quietly and stealthy as he can, rifle at the ready.
If nothing horrible happens, he will motion the group ahead to slowly check the other rooms. He takes care to avoid the attic or basement and avoids crossing any other doors/windows with runes on them. He will also try to keep an eye out for any notes left by the Professor and his crew or any sign of their earlier ritual. "Never thought I'd hunt no monsters, but here goes," he whispers to himself.
The party cautiously enters the old farmhouse while Archie has a look around the back first. Listen checks:
Aloysius: 22, made it
Jed: 13, made it
Dr. Pale: 37, nope
Elmer: 04, made it
Jasmine: 91, nope
Hyacinth: 39, made it

Aloysius, Jed, and Hyacinth hear scuffling noises. Elmer, with his "critical success" roll, identifies that the sounds are coming from under the floor. Could be rats, or something else.

Near the entrance to the back room is a narrow opening in the floor revealing a steep flight of steps leading down to the cellar. A trap door set in the ceiling overhead leads to the attic, the wooden frame surrounding it decorated with the same occult carvings seen over the doors and windows of the house. The back door of the house is slightly ajar, and there's a large fireplace in the back room as well. Archie comes in from the back and helps the party search the back room.

Here in the back room, there's evidence of recent occupation. The dust has been kicked up, and fresh footprints can clearly be seen. The large fireplace contains the cold embers of a fire not long dead. Beside the fireplace a thick new wool blanket has been tossed, and nearby is an empty can of Campbell's pork-and-beans. Traces of the sauce are still liquid. Nearby is a penny box of wooden matches, half empty, a can opener whose cutting edge approximates the sharp edges left on the pork-and-beans can, a dull jack knife, a dirty spoon, the stub of a candle, and wrinkled clippings of various attractive young ladies pictured in advertisements.

On a high shelf are an old wooden cigar box and a thin sheaf of yellowed papers.

geomys
Strider
Strider

#177 Post by geomys »

"Looks like it's not so abandoned after all. What do you say we stake out the back door for the rest of the day and night and see who is using this room."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#178 Post by Scott308 »

Elmer "Big City" Ramsey

That seems like a fine idea. Someone is obviously spendin' time in here, and I don't b'lieve they're s'posed to be here. Reaching up, he takes the cigar box and yellowing papers.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#179 Post by ken-do-nim »

Scott308 wrote:Elmer "Big City" Ramsey

That seems like a fine idea. Someone is obviously spendin' time in here, and I don't b'lieve they're s'posed to be here. Reaching up, he takes the cigar box and yellowing papers.
Idea roll ... 59, and your Idea is 65, so you made it. Remember that noise you heard that you thought was coming from the basement? It could be that whoever is in the house is downstairs right now.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#180 Post by MI70 »

Jed

"Dagnabit!" Jed curses. "He might still be here!"
"Elmer, cover them basement stairs and someone get a light." He backs up and aims his rifle at the stairs.

"Archie, Did you see another way out of that basement?"
"If there's no outside door, then he's gotta come up here. I'd rather give him a chance to come up peaceable before we go down there."

He looks to the others for confirmation.
Once we confirm that there's no outside door from the basement, Jed will peer down the stairs and call out:
"Come on out, fella! We're the rightful owners of this property! We don't wanna hurt you, we just want to talk but we're armed and we ain't gonna take no guff neither!"

Return to “Shadows of Yog-Sothoth and beyond - Call of Cthulhu 5E”