[Scenario 1] The Edge of Darkness

gaylord500
Runner
Runner

Re: [Scenario 1] The Edge of Darkness

#101 Post by gaylord500 »

Aloysius Taft

Well, I'm feeling pretty useless. Have you others had any luck looking around these books?

Aloysius considers lighting up, but it's probably not a good idea to do it inside. In expectation, the unlit cigarette is being twiddled by the fingers of his left hand.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#102 Post by ken-do-nim »

Pulpatoon wrote:Dr. Pale: "We're bearing sad news, I'm afraid. May we come in and sit? Thank you. It's about Rupert. He passed on, earlier, today. I wish I could say he was peaceful at the end, but... well, he had grave concerns weighing on him, mind and body. We're doing our best to honor his final wishes and set his concerns to right. Among his wishes was that we see you. He asked... Henry, does the phrase 'Beware the Starry Wisdom' ring any bells for you?"
Scott308 wrote:Elmer "Big City" Ramsey

Also, he gave us this box. We thought you might want to see what is in it, and maybe you could help us, please? He places the box on a table, then holds out his hand and introduces himself. Dr. Armitage, my name is Elmer Ramsey, sir.
Dr. Armitage invites the two of you in and seats you in his parlor. You spend a few minutes talking about Rupert and his passing. Then he says, "A bright young pupil of mine named Marion Allen got himself involved with those folk after he left college. After the reports of his death, I made some inquiries. There was some sort of big police raid on the church, but it was all kept out of the papers. If you need to learn more about them, I have a friend who might help. His name is Edward Call, he's a former colleague of mine who now has a private medical practice. I understand he's got a good many connections with the elite. If you can honor Rupert's dying wishes, whatever they might be, I'd be happy to offer my name as a reference. Now let me see this box."

Dr. Armitage examines the sarcophagus from ancient Egypt - which I assume is what you've given him - and he says, "Well I'll be. Those markings on the inside, I've seen their ilk before." He spends some time transcribing them and says that it will take him some time to track down the volume that he believes has similar markings.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by ken-do-nim »

Oh I just went back and you actually gave him the journal too. Surprisingly, Dr. Armitage resists reading it. "This was meant for you, not me. Had Rupert wanted me to help, he would have included me. I've learned enough about this strange world we live in to know that I actually don't want to know everything. Leave the papers here with me, and if you don't return to tell me you completed the mission, I'll see what I can do to come to your aid or try to pick up where you left off. But otherwise, I think it is best that you honor his dying wish and keep the mission to your group. After all, I happen to know that besides Marion, many of Rupert's old friends have passed on in recent years. This is clearly a serious matter."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by coil23 »

Hyacinth Ausby Hudspeth, antiquarian

Hyacinth shares with Aloysius what she found on Mu and the resemblence to carvings inside the sarcophagus.

Not much, I'm afraid. I hope others found more that we can put together to give us a direction.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#105 Post by MI70 »

Jed

Jed will share the results of his research too.
"Not bad get an old backwoodsman, heh?"
He lights his pipe and puffs thoughtfully.
If time permits, he will try to see if he can find any details in the old newspapers about the farmhouse and the original summoning. Otherwise, he suggests swinging by his farm after the others return on the way to the farm.
"If we gotta face some demon before it terrorizes decent folk, I'd be happier facing it with some rifles, sandwiches, and the 'liquid courage,'" he muses.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Pulpatoon »

Dr. Pale to Dr. Armitage: "Your letter of reference would be very helpful, thank you. And do let us know if you find anything more of the inscription.

"Mr. Ramsey, are you ready to depart?"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#107 Post by Scott308 »

Elmer "Big City" Ramsey

Yes sir, Dr. Pale, sir. He turns and says good-bye to their host. Thank you, Dr. Armitage, sir. I'm glad to have made your acquaintance, sir. He shakes Dr. Armitage's hand before donning his cap again and turning to leave.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Pulpatoon »

Dr. Pale to Big City: "Let us pay Mr. Call a visit, then, shall we?"

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#109 Post by ken-do-nim »

Pulpatoon wrote:Dr. Pale to Big City: "Let us pay Mr. Call a visit, then, shall we?"
Note that Dr. Armitage said that he'd give you a reference to Dr. Call only after you honor Rupert's dying wish; i.e. clear up this little matter down at his farm.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Pulpatoon »

ken-do-nim wrote:
Pulpatoon wrote:Dr. Pale to Big City: "Let us pay Mr. Call a visit, then, shall we?"
Note that Dr. Armitage said that he'd give you a reference to Dr. Call only after you honor Rupert's dying wish; i.e. clear up this little matter down at his farm.
Dangit, Henry!

Dr. Pale: "Perhaps we should return to the library and look for newspaper reports relating to the death of Marion Allen. And perhaps the others have had some luck in their investigations."

Scott308

#111 Post by Scott308 »

Elmer "Big City" Ramsey

To the liberry then!
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#112 Post by ken-do-nim »

MI70 wrote:Jed

Jed will share the results of his research too.
"Not bad get an old backwoodsman, heh?"
He lights his pipe and puffs thoughtfully.
If time permits, he will try to see if he can find any details in the old newspapers about the farmhouse and the original summoning. Otherwise, he suggests swinging by his farm after the others return on the way to the farm.
"If we gotta face some demon before it terrorizes decent folk, I'd be happier facing it with some rifles, sandwiches, and the 'liquid courage,'" he muses.
At this point the party has all reconvened at the library. Jed has proposed stopping by his place to pick up supplies, which sounds like a happening place! I suggest everyone list everything they want to bring to the farmhouse at Ross' Corners now, so we can start the journey next week real-time.

Scott308

#113 Post by Scott308 »

Elmer "Big City" Ramsey

Mr. Jed, that sounds like a fine idea, sir. I could definitely use some food, and if you have guns, I would like to use one if that's all right. We should all have a flashlight, too.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Pulpatoon »

Dr. Pale blanches at the thought of guns, but can't deny that they may be necessary. He makes sure his medical bag is well-stocked, paying special attention to supplies for field injuries, burns, and extra sedatives. "Did you mention flashlights? Yes, I'd like one, thank you."

geomys
Strider
Strider

#115 Post by geomys »

"Yeah, flashlights would make sense. I got my own sidearm. But we should take some sturdy rope as well. Always comes in handy."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Stirling »

Miss Faversham

is it the time of 'prohibition' in game? Sorry we drank all the time in the Highlands!

It all seems very strange and fast moving for young Jasmine. Still her father had that spirit of derring-do and always up for 'adventure', she joins the group going to the farm. Going 'tooled up' means a socket set and some spanners. " If we are going into some seance, ritual...maybe a holy rosary and some blessing from the church might help. Always need a heavenly with wingman". Jasmine suggests a stop by the chapel.

gaylord500
Runner
Runner

#117 Post by gaylord500 »

Aloysius Taft

Aloysius will leave a message with his wife. He already has a gun and ammo on him, and a few knives. Nothing else seems needful.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#118 Post by MI70 »

Jed

What do you take on a monster hunt? Jed pulls a stub of a pencil and notebook out of his coat and makes a list:

Guns and ammo - I would think that Jed would have a shotgun and a .22 at the farm as well as his 30.06 rifle and could get 2 boxes of ammo for each. No cultist is going to cut my tongue out!
Food, water, his wife's homemade pies, beef jerky and a few jugs of moonshine.
Extra gasoline- if we have to keep moving or if I have to burn that place down, he thinks.
Bandages and medicine - maybe the doc has his medical bag too
Flashlights, lanterns, matches, and candles
Chalk and paint - the journal mentions making marks on the floor around the burning candles, so we might need to do the same to reverse it.
Baseball bat, ball, and gloves - Jed tells his kids he'll get 'em signed by a real big leaguer! Also makes a decent club and some entertainment.
Ax and some fire wood
Compass and fishing tackle - in case they have to bolt into the woods
Playing cards and extra pipe and chewing tobacco for the down times.
Bailing wire and plenty of rope
Hunting knife
Cash
Ladder - this thing might be in the attic, right?
10 foot pole - I read somewhere they could be useful
Small silver crucifix from his wife - couldn't hurt! Jed gives her the short version of what happened and the urgency. While worried, she agrees with him that this evil must be stopped!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Pulpatoon »

Dr. Pale nods in apparent thoughtfulness over Jed's admirably thorough list, fighting off a sinking feeling that he is in far over his head, and that surely this is work better handled by the more... rugged sort of chap. The sort that served in the Great War.

Still, promises must be kept. And this crew will almost certainly need someone to staunch the flow.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#120 Post by ken-do-nim »

MI70 wrote:Jed

What do you take on a monster hunt? Jed pulls a stub of a pencil and notebook out of his coat and makes a list:

Guns and ammo - I would think that Jed would have a shotgun and a .22 at the farm as well as his 30.06 rifle and could get 2 boxes of ammo for each. No cultist is going to cut my tongue out!
Food, water, his wife's homemade pies, beef jerky and a few jugs of moonshine.
Extra gasoline- if we have to keep moving or if I have to burn that place down, he thinks.
Bandages and medicine - maybe the doc has his medical bag too
Flashlights, lanterns, matches, and candles
Chalk and paint - the journal mentions making marks on the floor around the burning candles, so we might need to do the same to reverse it.
Baseball bat, ball, and gloves - Jed tells his kids he'll get 'em signed by a real big leaguer! Also makes a decent club and some entertainment.
Ax and some fire wood
Compass and fishing tackle - in case they have to bolt into the woods
Playing cards and extra pipe and chewing tobacco for the down times.
Bailing wire and plenty of rope
Hunting knife
Cash
Ladder - this thing might be in the attic, right?
10 foot pole - I read somewhere they could be useful
Small silver crucifix from his wife - couldn't hurt! Jed gives her the short version of what happened and the urgency. While worried, she agrees with him that this evil must be stopped!
:D Very nice list. Don't forget the iron rations, silver bullets, and hand-held mirror!

Alrighty, let's get this show on the road. In this case, to Ross's Corners. (Um, I think it should be Ross' Corners, but I always see it as Ross's Corners in the book.)

Ross's Corners is a hamlet a few miles west of Arkham. Sounds like you guys are driving, though just so you know, there's a bus option. The bus route is Arkham to Worcester and back each day, with 80 cents fare. The bus stops at Ross's Corners shortly after 10 AM on the way out and shortly before 2 PM on the way back.

When you arrive at the hamlet, you find it consists of a few tired buildings and homes. The prosperity of the old farms has long been in decline. No more than 40 people live here. A church and a combination general store, post office, gas station, and milk depot are the community's centers. Do you want to stop in town to purchase supplies, gas, or ask questions, or do you want to go straight to the farmhouse? You can see that Boone Road runs north out of town, and the farmhouse is about a mile and a half up it.

Return to “Shadows of Yog-Sothoth and beyond - Call of Cthulhu 5E”