Action Thread 2: Boarding the Seahawk / Departing Karagonia

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 2: The departing

#101 Post by Alethan »

Bog stands and approaches the halfling.

"I hear you are the one who finished off that dark-skinned devil with the club," he says, extending his hand. "I'm grateful to you for finishing what I could not. My name is Bogdan. People call me Bog, though."

Then he turns to the dwarf and says, in the best Dwarvish he can muster, "I did not see your fight with the daemon, Master Dwarf, but it has already become legend. I trained under Akomis the Blacksmith for many years back in Karagonia. I would be honored to learn from you what I can while we voyage to the new world, if you are willing to train me."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#102 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna sits and watches the reunion of the two heroes. Waiting for her turn, she speaks "Thanks you two for your efforts on the shore. If it were not for your courage we all would have perished. My name is Lauranna, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She stops, waiting for the others.

Nyctos
Strider
Strider

#103 Post by Nyctos »

The Halfling Archer stands up. "I am Griffo Ostgood, though I have training in many weapons." here he pauses and runs his hand over his bow that rarely leaves his side. "I prefer using my families bow. My father was in the war and perished with much of the halfling army. I am searching for what remains of my family on these new shores."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

At the banquet with Billings, Jovak and Ziller

#104 Post by Argennian »

Billings finally returns with the bottle of blue foreign brandy and begins to open it up. The dwarf smiles broadly as he smells the heady aroma. The halfling turns to regard each of you with a smile and an encouraging wave and nod.

The Wild elf, having barely taken her eyes off the halfling since he entered, is the first to respond. "Caelvanna here. Archer and warrior, formerly with the Defense Forces of the Wild elf kingdom. Master Ziller there can vouch for me," she explains matter of factly with a knowing look at the halfling.

The dwarf turns towards Caelvanna. "Well met, friend and fellow soldier," he replies with a proud, chin up smile.

Sitting next to her is the Sylvan elf. In an apparent rush to get it over with, he answers next. "Thalion the Grey, Scout and warrior hailing from the Sylvan kingdom," he offers with a nod and bow before returning with renewed zest to his heaping plate of unfinished food and mug of cold drink.

Jovak looks towards Thalion unseeingly and nods again. "Hail and well met, friend Thalion."

After making sure that the young girl accompanying her is alright and not frightened by the massive dwarf with the mummy mask on, the druidess is the next to respond.
tkrexx wrote: Lord Jovak, I am, as are we all, I believe, happy you are so difficult to kill. If not for you, I doubt so many of us would be here this day dining at good Captain Billings' table. I saw you fight, my Lord, and this commands my respect, and I grieve for the mighty Paladin and the Mage who perished fighting by your side. To you, Master Halfling, I offer my most sincere apologies. Upon first sight of you I did not trust you. This was completely opposed to all I have been taught, and it now shames me. It is obvious the events now in place are far too great for one such as I. Therein lies my dilemma.
Upon the mention of the paladin and the mage's demise, the dwarf's smile disappears. He stares blindly forward unmoving as the burned muscles in his neck and jaw flex noticeably. "Is it true? Lord Garavin and... and Lathalamas?!"
The halfling's smile disappears and he closes his eyes in painful memory. "Yes, I am afraid so, sir."
"Who else?" the dwarf asks unmoving.
Ziller opens his eyes and looks worriedly at the dwarven lord. "Captains Sorenson, Rivas, and Vingaris, sir. And... young Sergeant Vingaris."
"Damn it!" the dwarf exalts furiously as he slams his fist upon the table with a pained look, making Billings jump. For a number of seconds, no one moves or speaks save the ship. He turns in the halfling's direction and pauses. "The boy prince, please tell me he is alive and safe?"
"He is alive, sir. Sedated from shock but sleeping comfortably below, as is Gentlemen Billy. Nobleman Ziffiris and Master Jarrel are alive and stabilized but not out of the woods yet. Mistress Jennynia and her brother, as well as Lady Tamara tend to them currently."
The dwarf reaches his hand out towards the captain and Billings hands him a cup. He mouths a silent prayer and slowly pours the rare blue brandy down his throat. The captain refills his cup and remains standing.

The halfling turns and assess the druid. "There is no need for apology here, Earth Mistress. Trust is not given blindly, it is earned. You were right to be wary. Please, go on."

tkrexx wrote:... Emm's eyes dart about the room as she hesitates. I am Emm Hildebran, daughter of Reuben Hildebran, called the Red Rook by the Elven allies along the borderlands during the Great War. I am but a simple Aspirant under the tutelage of Master Kahya, and my fate was to be equally simple, as keeper and protector of the lands and farms of my ancestral homeland. This simplicity has been snatched away from me, and I am at odds with this. I know nothing of this Socratis, and little of the King's Eyes, yet I find my name has been uttered by both. Clearly I can be of little threat or boon to either, so I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

The Druid's eyes lower before she continues. This I do know. My Master was taken by the King's Eyes. I learned of this at the same time I was summoned by Socratis. My options were few, and still are. I would have my Master returned safely, but I would have answers....More correctly, I would be educated, of what plans are being made for me, and of what is expected of me.

Emm dallies a moment, stroking the child's hair. This innocent has been tossed into the fray also, and I can find no reason for anyone to put her into such danger. I can't help but wonder what will become of her? She reseats herself and looks to the Captain and the Dwarven lord.
The halfling nods to Emm and smiles sadly. "By the time we have spoken of all this, you will have answers enough, young lady." He gets up and walks around the table to stand near the druid and the young child. He leans down to be lower than the little girl, who grabs on tightly to Emm and pulls close nervously. "And speaking of young ladies, who do we have here? What is your name, little lady?"
The child remains speechless and seems momentarily unsure and perhaps nervous of the halfling's burned appearance.
The halfling laughs merrily and in a most disarming manner. "My name is Uncle Ziller. And this," he starts as he reaches into a bag that seems to have magically appeared in his other hand, and pulls out a stuffed animal, "is Benny the bear! He is awful lonely cause someone stuck him in this old sack here. Would you like to be his friend and mayhap look after him, little one?" He holds the teddy bear out for the child.
The young girls eyes get big and teary with anticipation when she sees the lonely stuffed bear. She looks up at Emm and then back at the Halfling.
Ziller smiles and nods reassuringly, and holds the teddy bear even closer. "Can you be his friend, sweetheart?"
The child nods wordlessly in the affirmative and grabs a hold of Benny the bear, immediately moving him into an affectionate choke-hold.
The halfling winks back up at Emm and places his hand on her forearm. "Looks like Benny has a new friend to watch out for him. He might just come around soon..."

Alethan wrote:Bog stands and approaches the halfling.

"I hear you are the one who finished off that dark-skinned devil with the club," he says, extending his hand. "I'm grateful to you for finishing what I could not. My name is Bogdan. People call me Bog, though."
When the big half-orc approaches, Ziller stands up to greet him, which still doesn't make him appear much taller in comparison to the towering fighter. He starts to offer his hand but takes it back when he gets a look at Bog's massive, muscled arms. "Well met then, Bog," he offers with a slight bow. "I'd shake your hand but I'm afraid my arm has been broken," he offers with a wink and a look back at the dwarf.
Alethan wrote:... Then he turns to the dwarf and says, in the best Dwarvish he can muster, "I did not see your fight with the daemon, Master Dwarf, but it has already become legend. I trained under Akomis the Blacksmith for many years back in Karagonia. I would be honored to learn from you what I can while we voyage to the new world, if you are willing to train me."

Lord Jovak snaps to and looks up blindly, listening to the half-orc speak in his language well enough. Although appearing surprised at first, he nods his head and responds in common. "Akomis, you say? A good man. From a clan that have always been loyal and honorable to his kinfolk. If'n he took you on and trained you, lad, then so shall I. You are well met then, Bogdan."

Nuke66 wrote:Lauranna sits and watches the reunion of the two heroes. Waiting for her turn, she speaks "Thanks you two for your efforts on the shore. If it were not for your courage we all would have perished. My name is Lauranna, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She stops, waiting for the others.
The halfling nods and smiles warmly at Lauranna and turns to the dwarf. "She is the High elf maiden from back on the trail. She saved my life back there, sir."
Jovak nods respectfully in her direction and raises his cup to her. "Well met then, elf maiden. I thank you for saving my friend's life."

Nyctos wrote:The Halfling Archer stands up. "I am Griffo Ostgood, though I have training in many weapons." here he pauses and runs his hand over his bow that rarely leaves his side. "I prefer using my families bow. My father was in the war and perished with much of the halfling army. I am searching for what remains of my family on these new shores."
Ziller nods knowingly to the young halfling archer as well before announcing him to Jovak. "The son of Captain Ostgood, sir. I knew his father and his family well."
The dwarf nods respectfully towards Griffo. "The halfling army fought the eastern invaders hard and with honor. Their bravery and sacrifice is what inspired the elves and dwarves to put aside old differences and come together to form the Alliance with the humans. I welcome you aboard then, friend Griffo. Well met indeed, lad."

Ziller notions for Billings to fill up his cup, and then Jovak's. He stands up near the dwarf and raises his cup. "Let us honor the memory and sacrifice of those that were lost to us upon our path. Let us never forget they gave of themselves so that we could carry on. Let us move forward and prosper in their stead. And most of all, let us continue through our remaining days with hope of a better future."
"To the fallen. To the future," offers Lord Jovak raising his cup high. He, Ziller and the captain drink deeply of the rare blue elixir.

Billings takes a seat and stomps the floor with the heel of his boot thrice. Ziller makes up a plate for the dwarf and then takes his seat again. Within moments, there is a knock on the door and Zimba opens it guardedly to find the Cutler and the serving boys waiting with more plates of warm food and pitchers of ale, wine and fresh water. They enter, place the fresh food and drink upon the table and gather up the empties and scraps. Cutler whispers quickly to the captain and Billings nods his understanding. They depart the cabin and Zimba takes up his guard position at the doorway.

Ziller looks around the table at each one of you before his eyes finally come to rest back on Emm and the child. The young girl is feeding Benny the stuffed bear some crumbs with what might possibly be some silently-mouthed words of encouragement. The halfling catches the druid’s eye and he smiles. “You asked about your former master, Mistress Emm. I will now tell you what I know. I am sure that each and every one of you have wondered about the fate of those loved ones and exactly why they were taken. What I’m about to disclose will likely come as a surprise, as well it should,” the halfling offers with a strange gleam in his eyes. He takes another deep draw of Corenthian Brandy and leers awkwardly. “But not all surprises need be bad ones, friends. Those close to you that were believed taken by the King’s Eyes are indeed very much alive and safe! It was all part of a very complicated and elaborate scheme. A necessary part of a very secretive plan to infiltrate the King’s Eyes! The plan was conducted by those loyal to the people. We needed those that had never been a part of or tied directly to The Hands of Balance before, as they had been infiltrated by the Eyes. That was the only way we knew that they could be trusted. It was the only way it would ever truly work. I would have you know that each one of those that was close to you decided to do this voluntarily and of their own free will. The fear of reprisal against you as their relatives and loved ones is why you are here, at their request. Knowing that the ones you love and care about are safe and outside the long reach of the king and his minions is a treasured reassurance to them. This is why you were each given the letter. Your passage to the west was secured by the loyalty and service of those close to you. You are now, each of you, free men and women. You may choose your own fate and follow whatever path you see fit. As you were told before, you are under no obligation or debt to The Hands in any way from this point out. But if you wish to follow in their footsteps and become more involved with restoring things to the way they were, your service will be accepted and most appreciated. Of course, we would offer formal training as well as reequipping each of you. Further intelligence would be shared...”

Ziller then stops and assesses each of the party members present. “What say you all? I am sure you have questions?” he queries openly.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#105 Post by Alethan »

Bog thinks for a moment and finally asks, "Say we wanted to help out the Hands... what would you have in mind?"

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by Nuke66 »

"Good question Bogdan. Where does all of this lead?" Lauranna pauses to sip again of the brandy. "We are headed to a foreign shore to escape the King's Eyes, How does that help? What would be expected of us?"

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: At the banquet with Billings, Jovak and Ziller

#107 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:Billings finally returns with the bottle of blue foreign brandy and begins to open it up. The dwarf smiles broadly as he smells the heady aroma. The halfling turns to regard each of you with a smile and an encouraging wave and nod.

The Wild elf, having barely taken her eyes off the halfling since he entered, is the first to respond. "Caelvanna here. Archer and warrior, formerly with the Defense Forces of the Wild elf kingdom. Master Ziller there can vouch for me," she explains matter of factly with a knowing look at the halfling.

The dwarf turns towards Caelvanna. "Well met, friend and fellow soldier," he replies with a proud, chin up smile.

Sitting next to her is the Sylvan elf. In an apparent rush to get it over with, he answers next. "Thalion the Grey, Scout and warrior hailing from the Sylvan kingdom," he offers with a nod and bow before returning with renewed zest to his heaping plate of unfinished food and mug of cold drink.

Jovak looks towards Thalion unseeingly and nods again. "Hail and well met, friend Thalion."

After making sure that the young girl accompanying her is alright and not frightened by the massive dwarf with the mummy mask on, the druidess is the next to respond.
tkrexx wrote: Lord Jovak, I am, as are we all, I believe, happy you are so difficult to kill. If not for you, I doubt so many of us would be here this day dining at good Captain Billings' table. I saw you fight, my Lord, and this commands my respect, and I grieve for the mighty Paladin and the Mage who perished fighting by your side. To you, Master Halfling, I offer my most sincere apologies. Upon first sight of you I did not trust you. This was completely opposed to all I have been taught, and it now shames me. It is obvious the events now in place are far too great for one such as I. Therein lies my dilemma.
Upon the mention of the paladin and the mage's demise, the dwarf's smile disappears. He stares blindly forward unmoving as the burned muscles in his neck and jaw flex noticeably. "Is it true? Lord Garavin and... and Lathalamas?!"
The halfling's smile disappears and he closes his eyes in painful memory. "Yes, I am afraid so, sir."
"Who else?" the dwarf asks unmoving.
Ziller opens his eyes and looks worriedly at the dwarven lord. "Captains Sorenson, Rivas, and Vingaris, sir. And... young Sergeant Vingaris."
"Damn it!" the dwarf exalts furiously as he slams his fist upon the table with a pained look, making Billings jump. For a number of seconds, no one moves or speaks save the ship. He turns in the halfling's direction and pauses. "The boy prince, please tell me he is alive and safe?"
"He is alive, sir. Sedated from shock but sleeping comfortably below, as is Gentlemen Billy. Nobleman Ziffiris and Master Jarrel are alive and stabilized but not out of the woods yet. Mistress Jennynia and her brother, as well as Lady Tamara tend to them currently."
The dwarf reaches his hand out towards the captain and Billings hands him a cup. He mouths a silent prayer and slowly pours the rare blue brandy down his throat. The captain refills his cup and remains standing.

The halfling turns and assess the druid. "There is no need for apology here, Earth Mistress. Trust is not given blindly, it is earned. You were right to be wary. Please, go on."

tkrexx wrote:... Emm's eyes dart about the room as she hesitates. I am Emm Hildebran, daughter of Reuben Hildebran, called the Red Rook by the Elven allies along the borderlands during the Great War. I am but a simple Aspirant under the tutelage of Master Kahya, and my fate was to be equally simple, as keeper and protector of the lands and farms of my ancestral homeland. This simplicity has been snatched away from me, and I am at odds with this. I know nothing of this Socratis, and little of the King's Eyes, yet I find my name has been uttered by both. Clearly I can be of little threat or boon to either, so I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

The Druid's eyes lower before she continues. This I do know. My Master was taken by the King's Eyes. I learned of this at the same time I was summoned by Socratis. My options were few, and still are. I would have my Master returned safely, but I would have answers....More correctly, I would be educated, of what plans are being made for me, and of what is expected of me.

Emm dallies a moment, stroking the child's hair. This innocent has been tossed into the fray also, and I can find no reason for anyone to put her into such danger. I can't help but wonder what will become of her? She reseats herself and looks to the Captain and the Dwarven lord.
The halfling nods to Emm and smiles sadly. "By the time we have spoken of all this, you will have answers enough, young lady." He gets up and walks around the table to stand near the druid and the young child. He leans down to be lower than the little girl, who grabs on tightly to Emm and pulls close nervously. "And speaking of young ladies, who do we have here? What is your name, little lady?"
The child remains speechless and seems momentarily unsure and perhaps nervous of the halfling's burned appearance.
The halfling laughs merrily and in a most disarming manner. "My name is Uncle Ziller. And this," he starts as he reaches into a bag that seems to have magically appeared in his other hand, and pulls out a stuffed animal, "is Benny the bear! He is awful lonely cause someone stuck him in this old sack here. Would you like to be his friend and mayhap look after him, little one?" He holds the teddy bear out for the child.
The young girls eyes get big and teary with anticipation when she sees the lonely stuffed bear. She looks up at Emm and then back at the Halfling.
Ziller smiles and nods reassuringly, and holds the teddy bear even closer. "Can you be his friend, sweetheart?"
The child nods wordlessly in the affirmative and grabs a hold of Benny the bear, immediately moving him into an affectionate choke-hold.
The halfling winks back up at Emm and places his hand on her forearm. "Looks like Benny has a new friend to watch out for him. He might just come around soon..."

Alethan wrote:Bog stands and approaches the halfling.

When the big half-orc approaches, Ziller stands up to greet him, which still doesn't make him appear much taller in comparison to the towering fighter. He starts to offer his hand but takes it back when he gets a look at Bog's massive, muscled arms. "Well met then, Bog," he offers with a slight bow. "I'd shake your hand but I'm afraid my arm has been broken," he offers with a wink and a look back at the dwarf.
Alethan wrote:... Then he turns to the dwarf and says, in the best Dwarvish he can muster, "I did not see your fight with the daemon, Master Dwarf, but it has already become legend. I trained under Akomis the Blacksmith for many years back in Karagonia. I would be honored to learn from you what I can while we voyage to the new world, if you are willing to train me."

Lord Jovak snaps to and looks up blindly, listening to the half-orc speak in his language well enough. Although appearing surprised at first, he nods his head and responds in common. "Akomis, you say? A good man. From a clan that have always been loyal and honorable to his kinfolk. If'n he took you on and trained you, lad, then so shall I. You are well met then, Bogdan."

Nuke66 wrote:Lauranna sits and watches the reunion of the two heroes. Waiting for her turn, she speaks "Thanks you two for your efforts on the shore. If it were not for your courage we all would have perished. My name is Lauranna, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." She stops, waiting for the others.
The halfling nods and smiles warmly at Lauranna and turns to the dwarf. "She is the High elf maiden from back on the trail. She saved my life back there, sir."
Jovak nods respectfully in her direction and raises his cup to her. "Well met then, elf maiden. I thank you for saving my friend's life."

Nyctos wrote:The Halfling Archer stands up. "I am Griffo Ostgood, though I have training in many weapons." here he pauses and runs his hand over his bow that rarely leaves his side. "I prefer using my families bow. My father was in the war and perished with much of the halfling army. I am searching for what remains of my family on these new shores."
Ziller nods knowingly to the young halfling archer as well before announcing him to Jovak. "The son of Captain Ostgood, sir. I knew his father and his family well."
The dwarf nods respectfully towards Griffo. "The halfling army fought the eastern invaders hard and with honor. Their bravery and sacrifice is what inspired the elves and dwarves to put aside old differences and come together to form the Alliance with the humans. I welcome you aboard then, friend Griffo. Well met indeed, lad."

Ziller notions for Billings to fill up his cup, and then Jovak's. He stands up near the dwarf and raises his cup. "Let us honor the memory and sacrifice of those that were lost to us upon our path. Let us never forget they gave of themselves so that we could carry on. Let us move forward and prosper in their stead. And most of all, let us continue through our remaining days with hope of a better future."
"To the fallen. To the future," offers Lord Jovak raising his cup high. He, Ziller and the captain drink deeply of the rare blue elixir.

Billings takes a seat and stomps the floor with the heel of his boot thrice. Ziller makes up a plate for the dwarf and then takes his seat again. Within moments, there is a knock on the door and Zimba opens it guardedly to find the Cutler and the serving boys waiting with more plates of warm food and pitchers of ale, wine and fresh water. They enter, place the fresh food and drink upon the table and gather up the empties and scraps. Cutler whispers quickly to the captain and Billings nods his understanding. They depart the cabin and Zimba takes up his guard position at the doorway.

Ziller looks around the table at each one of you before his eyes finally come to rest back on Emm and the child. The young girl is feeding Benny the stuffed bear some crumbs with what might possibly be some silently-mouthed words of encouragement. The halfling catches the druid’s eye and he smiles. “You asked about your former master, Mistress Emm. I will now tell you what I know. I am sure that each and every one of you have wondered about the fate of those loved ones and exactly why they were taken. What I’m about to disclose will likely come as a surprise, as well it should,” the halfling offers with a strange gleam in his eyes. He takes another deep draw of Corenthian Brandy and leers awkwardly. “But not all surprises need be bad ones, friends. Those close to you that were believed taken by the King’s Eyes are indeed very much alive and safe! It was all part of a very complicated and elaborate scheme. A necessary part of a very secretive plan to infiltrate the King’s Eyes! The plan was conducted by those loyal to the people. We needed those that had never been a part of or tied directly to The Hands of Balance before, as they had been infiltrated by the Eyes. That was the only way we knew that they could be trusted. It was the only way it would ever truly work. I would have you know that each one of those that was close to you decided to do this voluntarily and of their own free will. The fear of reprisal against you as their relatives and loved ones is why you are here, at their request. Knowing that the ones you love and care about are safe and outside the long reach of the king and his minions is a treasured reassurance to them. This is why you were each given the letter. Your passage to the west was secured by the loyalty and service of those close to you. You are now, each of you, free men and women. You may choose your own fate and follow whatever path you see fit. As you were told before, you are under no obligation or debt to The Hands in any way from this point out. But if you wish to follow in their footsteps and become more involved with restoring things to the way they were, your service will be accepted and most appreciated. Of course, we would offer formal training as well as reequipping each of you. Further intelligence would be shared...”

Ziller then stops and assesses each of the party members present. “What say you all? I am sure you have questions?” he queries openly.
"The dwarves have a saying," says Ulrich. "'The stone that protects is the best shield.'" Seeing the puzzled looks of everyone else (except Jovak), Ulrich mutters "It sounds better in dwarven." Clearing his throat, he goes on. "It means that we should stick together. Where Lord Jovak leads," he says with a nod to the dwarf, "I will follow."
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by tkrexx »

Realizing the deception, a mixture of confusion, anger, and relief can plainly be seen on the young Druid's face. She raises a hand to her face as the words sink in, and a tear can be seen streaming from each of her dark eyes. My Master is safe! she whispers. Is Kahya a member of the Hands of Balance, then? If so, my path is clear, to follow him. But I must see him!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Dinner with Billings, Jovak and Ziller

#109 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Bog thinks for a moment and finally asks, "Say we wanted to help out the Hands... what would you have in mind?"
Nuke66 wrote:"Good question Bogdan. Where does all of this lead?" Lauranna pauses to sip again of the brandy. "We are headed to a foreign shore to escape the King's Eyes, How does that help? What would be expected of us?"
Ziller looks appraisingly from the half-orc to the High elf. He looks around the table at each of you as if considering the right answer. He turns and looks back to Lauranna. “Be expected of you? That will depend on many things I'd wager, some of which we still do not yet realize. I would expect that each of you will have feelings and opinions about what happened back there and that which I have just shared with you. I am old enough to realize that not all of it will be complimentary,” he offers, again looking around at each of you, a tinge of sadness to his visage. “I’m afraid that you have all been thrown into the middle of a terrible affair. What began as no more than an anonymous passage west has turned into something much more… complicated. Although we still have much to learn about what happened, I know we lost some good men back there on that trail. The archmage Lathalamas and Lord Garavin of Pelor were two of the greatest champions of the people. And our most trusted captains, all of them brave and loyal, all of them highly decorated soldiers of the Hatmarin. The general and I fought and bled with each and every one of them. They were also… our friends,” he says solemnly with a look towards the dwarven lord. Jovak lowers his head and sets down his cup to conceal his shaking hands. He takes a deep breath to remain calm. The halfling continues, “They always believed in freedom and hope for the people and now they have given their lives for that cause. I can only promise that their sacrifice will not have been given for naught. Yes, our enemies have scored a terrible blow upon us, but they have also failed in their design and given us an advantage of sorts. We will learn from their dead, especially that wizard that burned Rivas and that assassin that slew Vingaris. Shanny also said we’ve got the body of the shadow goblin chieftain as well. Come tomorrow, we will speak to the dead and get some answers. After that, we will hopefully know more about what happened, like how they came to know and do what they did. We will speak more of things then and perhaps consider our options.”

SocraticLawyer wrote:"The dwarves have a saying," says Ulrich. "'The stone that protects is the best shield.'" Seeing the puzzled looks of everyone else (except Jovak), Ulrich mutters "It sounds better in dwarven." Clearing his throat, he goes on. "It means that we should stick together. Where Lord Jovak leads," he says with a nod to the dwarf, "I will follow."
The general clears his throat and raises his chin in acknowledgement of the young dwarven cleric’s words. The halfling smiles warmly at the obvious rejuvenation he sees in his friend. Jovak looks to Ulrich with a crisp nod of recognition. “I welcome your hands to ours then, Acolyte Ulrich. I look forward to our training and meditations.”

tkrexx wrote:Realizing the deception, a mixture of confusion, anger, and relief can plainly be seen on the young Druid's face. She raises a hand to her face as the words sink in, and a tear can be seen streaming from each of her dark eyes. My Master is safe! she whispers. Is Kahya a member of the Hands of Balance, then? If so, my path is clear, to follow him. But I must see him!
Ziller looks to Emm and makes a calming gesture and nod of understanding. “I know that you would like to see him but he is far away from us even now.” He then leans forward and looks around at each of you seriously. “And yes, all of your friends and loved ones made a choice. They decided they could no longer stand idly by while innocent friends and neighbors were being taken away, many times never to return. And so we are each of us faced with this choice when we realize that to turn a blind eye is to forsake one’s own. They have joined with and become helping hands to the people. They are doing what they can for those that cannot. Your safe passage west was part of the deal we made with them…” the halfling begins to explain but he takes a breath and forces himself to pause before considering you all again. “But what happened back on the trail was certainly not part of the deal. I promise you that we will find out more tomorrow and talk more of things. Then you can make up your own minds about this whole affair and decide what is to come.”

Ziller looks up to a gesturing Captain Billings and then over at Lord Jovak in concern. The dwarf appears pale and sweaty. His hands shake and he doesn't look good. “In the meantime, I would humbly ask that you all excuse myself and the general. We have much to discuss and would grieve our fallen friends. Feel free to retire and rest, or to each other’s company for the remainder of this eve. We will speak more on things tomorrow. We will also discuss your training and what we may be able to do to help each other. I bid you good evening then.”

“Thank you, friends. Until the morrow,” offers Jovak with a nod.

Billings addresses you with a sweep of his arms. “Take some more food here if you wish, friends. See Cutler below for more drink, if’n you need. We will dine in my chambers here again tomorrow evening.” The captain motions for Zimba to move away from the cabin door and let you all pass when ready.

OOC: feel free to post any responses before departing the captain's banquet or any further specific actions for the evening, otherwise we'll move things forward to the next day.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#110 Post by Alethan »

Bog, with a head full of thoughts and a stomach full of food, bids everyone good night and makes his way to his bunk to sleep for the night.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by tkrexx »

Emm stands in respect to those who have brought good news to her ears. Many thanks, Master Ziller. Nudging the child lightly and smiling with her eyes, she whispers, Say thank you to Master Ziller! She sees the Half-Orc, who called himself Bogdon, stand, belch and also take leave. She nods to the Warrior in what she suddenly realizes is comradeship, and when Lauranna rises to leave, she will gather the child and follow.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The departing of the captain's banquet

#113 Post by Argennian »

Caelvanna stands and looks as if she's ready to say something to Ziller but apparently decides not to. She merely nods businesslike to Ziller and looks over at the dwarf before standing and making her way through the door. "Tomorrow then."

Thalion gathers up a formidable amount of food and wraps it into a large cloth before finishing his bluish brandy with a staggering shake of his head. "A fine dinner indeed, as promised! Good evening!" he exalts with a respectful bow and flourish of his hand. The Wood elf then grabs up one of the pitchers of ale along with his mug, and with his after dinner picnic secured in his arms, walks out the door to make for the big table in the main room of the stern castle. He whistles an old elvish folk tune merrily, as if anticipating some quality time to come.

Bogdan the big half-orc stands and offers his good evenings before departing the captain's cabin to head off to the privacy and solitude of his bunk.

tkrexx wrote:Emm stands in respect to those who have brought good news to her ears. Many thanks, Master Ziller. Nudging the child lightly and smiling with her eyes, she whispers, Say thank you to Master Ziller! She sees the Half-Orc, who called himself Bogdan, stand, belch and also take leave. She nods to the Warrior in what she suddenly realizes is comradeship, and when Lauranna rises to leave, she will gather the child and follow.

Ziller smiles back warmly to the druidess. "You are most welcome, Mistress Emm. May you sleep well." He then looks at her young charge and smiles even bigger. The child just stares back wide-eyed at the halfling while holding poor Benny in a violent bear hug. Ziller winks at her. "I hope Benny doesn't snore too loudly, young lady!"
The child's eyes get big and she looks down at her stuffed friend incredulously. She then looks up at Emm and back to the halfling, and then to Benny and back to the halfling. Two barely audible meeps escapes from her lips as she hugs the druidess' leg shyly.
"You are most welcome, sweetheart. I'll see if we can scrounge up some apple pancakes for poor Benny in the morning," he offers matter-of-factly with a wink and another smile.
The child's eyes get big again. She looks down at the stuffed bear and up at Emm with what might have been a flash of a smile!

The High elf maiden Lauranna stands and offers a curt good evening. She nods to Emm and motions the young druid and child through the cabin door politely before accompanying them down to hold where their bunks are.

Finally snapping out of a momentary trance that had him staring at the dwarf with a faraway look in his eyes, Ulrich looks around the table and realizes that only he and Griffo remain seated. He assesses the dwarven lord after the halfling warrior. The cleric can see that Jovak is pale and sweaty. His hands are shaking a bit and he slumps slightly in the captain's chair...

OOC: I'll leave things open here if anyone else wants to post, otherwise we'll be starting a new action thread come Monday: Action Thread 3 Westward upon the Bay of Ghosts
In addition to the upcoming AAR/debrief still to be discussed IC, we'll go over such things as who will be training with who and how long it will take, identifying items recovered from the encounter and splitting them and other stuff up, as well as other relevant details! :)

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The departing of the captain's banquet

#114 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:
Finally snapping out of a momentary trance that had him staring at the dwarf with a faraway look in his eyes, Ulrich looks around the table and realizes that only he and Griffo remain seated. He assesses the dwarven lord after the halfling warrior. The cleric can see that Jovak is pale and sweaty. His hands are shaking a bit and he slumps slightly in the captain's chair...
With a quick nod to the halfling, Ulrich rises and approaches Lord Jovak. Begging your pardon, m'lord, but you need this far more than I, he says in the dwarf tongue. With a quick prayer to Moradin, Ulrich chants the spell that will alleviate the dwarf's pain.

Ulrich is using a CLW on Jovak.
Cure light wounds [1d8] = 8
where was that roll in the big fight?! :shock:
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The final departing of the captain's banquet

#115 Post by Argennian »

~ Jovak turns, somehow blindly sensing Ulrich's approach. He holds his head up in anticipation and merely nods humbly, unable to posture with any more of his depleted pride. The dwarven acolyte casts his spell, channeling the power of Moradin The All Father upon the dwarven lord. The living legend of the dwarves and former commander of the Obsidian Order during the Great War feels the curative magics assail him. His mouth opens in a slow, deep breath as new vitality explodes within him. The greenish tinge of his burns from his neck up does not change but he no longer appears pale and clammy. He takes another breath and stretches himself out, flexing the massive, scarred muscles of his arms and chest.

He finally turns and places a barrel hand firmly upon Ulrich's forearm. "You have my thanks and appreciations, Acolyte Rachstaad," he proclaims as he lifts his bandaged head to face the young cleric. "You have been recently touched by the All Father. I do not know why but I can feel it. I would like you to remain here for a moment. Please sit down and tell me what happened," he asks, motioning to Ziller*.

Ziller nods and moves over to Griffo. "I mean not to be rude, Master Ostgood, but you will have to excuse us," he explains matter of factly. He waits for the young halfling archer to arise and walks him over to the door, fixing him a serious but respectful stare. "I knew your family and father well, young man. I look forward to speaking wth you of him and more very soon. Until then, goodnight," he finishes as he sees Griffo through the door with a nod and warm smile. Zimba nods to Ziller and Billings and moves through the doorway behind the halfling to stand guard outside.

* PM sent

OOC: Ok folks, I'm going to go ahead and create a new Action Thread 3 that will take us through the night, bar any random sea monster encounters!
:)

Return to “A New Hope to the West”