Tavern Thread

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tavern Thread

#1 Post by Argennian »

Huh??

~ "Ahh Yes, tis the Tavern Thread, my good people! A place to lay down your arms, kick up your boots, grab a cool ale, dwarven spirit, elven wine, or whatever ye prefer, and talk about whatever you fancy!" :P

A place where you can discuss anything and everything under the sun you want to outside the game, about something new or old, past gaming sessions and experiences, what you did last weekend, what you're gonna do this weekend, favorite drink, hobby, edition, whatever.

(Disclaimer: Participation in this thread is not required and is somewhat experimental in nature. It might be fun :mrgreen: , it might be lame :roll: , who knows? ... So tell me, what you think about that? 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Full Metal Jousting

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Cool idea for a thread... and the timing is almost perfect. I came across a show on the History channel called Full Metal Jousting a week or two ago which is pretty cool. I wanted to mention it here in the forums somewhere, but ToniXX doesn't really have a forum dedicated for off-subject or miscellaneous subjects (and I figure, in light of the whole die roller thing, I didn't want to trouble him with the suggestion).

Anyway, I found this show on accident, catching it somewhere in the middle of either episode five or six (I think there have been eight of them) and, if you haven't seen it, it's worth a look.

- Dave
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Tavern! Thread

#3 Post by tkrexx »

I'm kinda partial to "Game of Thrones," myself.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Tavern! Thread

#4 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:I'm kinda partial to "Game of Thrones," myself.
While I haven't seen Game of Thrones, I've heard good things about it. However, I suspect the two shows are very much different.

Full Metal Jousting is has real people (from cowboys and ex-marines to theatrical jousters) being trained and engaging in an actual jousting competition. While I'm sure there may be elements that are dramatized, it's not based on a piece of fiction.
-- Project --
-- DM --

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Tavern Thread

#5 Post by SocraticLawyer »

On a different note, I hope everyone had a fun Easter! Mine was nice, as was the whole weekend. This week is going to be brutal at work, so I'm glad I gathered me rosebuds while I could, because tomorrow (Monday) will be rough....

Work is dumb :x

When I get some time/room on the DVR, I will check out Full Metal Jousting....
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Argennian »

Also hope everyone else here had a good Easter weekend! :)

Yeah, I haven't had cable or satellite tv in a long time so haven't seen Full Metal Jousting, Game of Thrones or much anything that doesn't come over the antenna free, for that matter. I have seen the commercials/previews for them at friends' places and heard 'em talked about. They both sound good! 8-)

The channels I do miss the most: History, Discovery and Speed TV! :(
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:I haven't had cable or satellite tv in a long time
I was almost in the same position. We have Dish Network, and they offer a 'Welcome Pack' package which is $14.99 per month. The channel selection isn't great, but there is a decent variety (including the History channel).

By the way, you can stream the most recent full episode of Full Metal Jousting online:

http://www.history.com/shows/full-metal ... l-episodes

I know TV can be a major time suck, but I'd say it's worth it to stream at least one episode. It's pretty cool.

- Dave
-- Project --
-- DM --

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by tkrexx »

So. I'm sitting in the tavern, sipping some suds (Or, I was this weekend), and I'm wondering: How does a player new to Pbp add the neat little signatures at the bootom of my posts, the ones linking directly to my PC sheet?

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by Xaxyx »

tkrexx wrote:So. I'm sitting in the tavern, sipping some suds (Or, I was this weekend), and I'm wondering: How does a player new to Pbp add the neat little signatures at the bootom of my posts, the ones linking directly to my PC sheet?
Wondering the same thing recently, I started this thread in the Help and Support forum, and the process was kindly explained to me. :)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by tkrexx »

Gracias!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:Gracias!
Now you just need to find yourself four or five more PbP games to join and you'll feel right at home, tk!
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

I'm going to take this post really off-topic for a moment, and I apologize in advance if this wasn't the intent of this thread.

I'd like to think that the fact that I have a daughter on the autism spectrum doesn't make me overly sensitive to this issue, but discovering this video tonight really made my stomach turn. This situation is truly terrifying for me so I am really pushing to help support this father's petition:

To the New Jersey Legislature and Congress: Pass legislation so that teachers who bully children are immediately fired

If you can sympathize, please take a moment to sign the above petition. This is a one-time post -- I promise I will not turn this into a crusade here on Unseen Servant (I'll use Facebook and Twitter for that) -- but I did want to spread the message as widely as I could. Thank you for your time.

- Dave (dmw71)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Argennian »

Dave,

There's no "off topic" in the Tavern thread and that's why it's here, honestly. I couldn't imagine anyone having an issue with you sharing and speaking your mind in this. If they do, I would sincerely hope they keep it to themselves. I watched the video and heard the audio at work today and I was stunned and angered. I signed the petition and hope this gets the exposure it deserves. I'll be passing it along.

Regards,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Argennian »

On a separate RL note, I'd like to offer my gratitude to all that responded about the friend of mine that passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. Your kind words and understanding with me taking some time is much appreciated. Drinking the good stuff tonight in celebration of the memories and good times had and paying respects.

Cheers to you all.

Best Regards,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Nuke66 »

You know, I always think the wake is much better than the funeral....again, my condolences.

When it happens to me, it'll be a party with the music 'pre-selected' all the songs that have impacted my being.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:On a separate RL note, I'd like to offer my gratitude to all that responded about the friend of mine that passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. Your kind words and understanding with me taking some time is much appreciated. Drinking the good stuff tonight in celebration of the memories and good times had and paying respects.

Cheers to you all.

Best Regards,

Mitch
Sorry to hear about your friend, Mitch.

I hope everything works out ok for his wife and kids. :( Sorry I haven't been vocal about it; it's hard to think about that kind of stuff when you have kids of your own.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote: Sorry to hear about your friend, Mitch.

I hope everything works out ok for his wife and kids. :( Sorry I haven't been vocal about it; it's hard to think about that kind of stuff when you have kids of your own.

I can totally understand and appreciate that fact.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:There's no "off topic" in the Tavern thread and that's why it's here, honestly.
It might be nice if there was a similar type of thread on the main board, but I appreciate you introducing the "anything goes" idea.
I watched the video and heard the audio at work today and I was stunned and angered. I signed the petition and hope this gets the exposure it deserves.
That story hits pretty close to home for me so I hope it gets the exposure as well. From updates on its Facebook page, I'd say it has (most notably with the father being interviewed on CNN and by Diane Sawyer).
I'll be passing it along.
This, truly, was my hope in posting it in the first place. :D

Thanks again,
- Dave
-- Project --
-- DM --

Thalion
Scout
Scout

#20 Post by Thalion »

I know we're all old school guys here but is anyone following with any interest the development of D&D 5e?

The open playtest has been announced to start in late May.

I'm looking forward to it. I like old school but everyone around here seems to play either 4e or Pathfinder. Maybe when 5e releases, I'll be able to find a game again in a system that suits me.

Return to “A New Hope to the West”