Tavern Thread

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Tavern Thread

#21 Post by tkrexx »

I've never played any of the newer versions, unless you count UA, which some folks do. My Son played 2E & 3E, and enjoyed both, but he said 3E was better. I'm content with 1E.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#22 Post by dmw71 »

Thalion wrote:I know we're all old school guys here but is anyone following with any interest the development of D&D 5e?
I was initially excited to learn about a new edition of the game coming out, but then I remembered how much I disliked almost everything about 3E, which was continued in 3.5 and 4.0.

I'd like to say that I'm cautiously optimistic that the system will change for the better, but I don't see it. If anything, I expect the game to become much more complicated.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Thalion wrote:Maybe when 5e releases, I'll be able to find a game again in a system that suits me.
Hmmm... I think I've found that in OSRIC, personally.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Argennian »

Thalion wrote:Maybe when 5e releases, I'll be able to find a game again in a system that suits me.
Although I'm skeptical of just what the 5e release will be like or if I'll relate to any of it, I'll see what's what for curiosity's sake, if nothing else.

I am stoked to see "Lizards of the Toast" (aka WotC) doing the reprinting of the basic 1e core rulebooks due out this summer. I'm on a waiting list for these at the local game store (http://www.endgameoakland.com) here in town. Not like I need more copies but if enough folks buy them, it would definitely send a message...

Alethan wrote:Hmmm... I think I've found that in OSRIC, personally.
+1 This is pretty much my thoughts as well. The OGL has produced some absolutely awesome retro-clone systems and game products. Their growing popularity and sales is a hopeful indicator that "old-school" gaming is still alive and doing well. If anything, the successes that Pathfinder (primarily) has had and the harsh beating that 4e has taken should certainly come as a wake-up call and notice served to WotC. Guess we'll see if 5e fares any better.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Argennian »

~ Just enjoying a few Redtail Ales this fine Friday evening. This was my first full week out in the field on my own. Been a loong week, but... it's over now. The weekend has begun!

(... isn't it funny just how much better things taste when you know you don't have to get up at the BCoD on the morrow? :) )

~ So, anyone got plans for the weekend?

Sat: going to one of my close friend's 'met-thru-gaming' surprise 40th birthday/Cinco de Mayo party on Saturday pm. It'll be an evening of drinking fun and other shenanigans and tomfoolery. (I'm sure there'll be many failed stat rolls that evening! :oops: :roll: :lol: )
Prior to that it's a shakedown playtest of my new hybrid 1E Metamorphosis Alpha/Star Frontiers/Gamma World game. I'm getting ready to run a homebrew tournament module at Kublacon 2012 (http://www.kublacon.com) for the second time and need to get some stuff from the game system test driven in a hurry!

Sun: will be a going for an early (well, early for probably drinking a lot the night before) am hike at Pt Reyes National Seashore. Then it's back home for shower, laundry and game updates!

A great (hiccup) weekend to all!! :P
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:~ Just enjoying a few Redtail Ales this fine Friday evening. This was my first full week out in the field on my own. Been a loong week, but... it's over now. The weekend has begun!

(... isn't it funny just how much better things taste when you know you don't have to get up at the BCoD on the morrow? :) )

Sat: going to one of my close friend's 'met-thru-gaming' surprise 40th birthday/Cinco de Mayo party on Saturday pm. It'll be an evening of drinking fun and other shenanigans and tomfoolery. (I'm sure there'll be many failed stat rolls that evening! :oops: :roll: :lol: )
Prior to that it's a shakedown playtest of my new hybrid 1E Metamorphosis Alpha/Star Frontiers/Gamma World game. I'm getting ready to run a homebrew tournament module at Kublacon 2012 (http://www.kublacon.com) for the second time and need to get some stuff from the game system test driven in a hurry!

Sun: will be a going for an early (well, early for probably drinking a lot the night before) am hike at Pt Reyes National Seashore. Then it's back home for shower, laundry and game updates!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! And Feliz Cumpleanos to your friend as well! Sounds like a great weekend.

Ditto on not getting up at the BCoD!!

No big plans this weekend here, although I've got a continuation of my OSRIC FtF B2 game tomorrow. I'll be posting a campaign journal over at Dragonsfoot later today (same name there as here).

Happy Saturday. Enjoy your Cinco de Mayo responsibly :mrgreen:
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by Alethan »

SocraticLawyer wrote:
Argennian wrote:~ Just enjoying a few Redtail Ales this fine Friday evening. This was my first full week out in the field on my own. Been a loong week, but... it's over now. The weekend has begun!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! And Feliz Cumpleanos to your friend as well! Sounds like a great weekend.

Ditto on not getting up at the BCoD!!

No big plans this weekend here, although I've got a continuation of my OSRIC FtF B2 game tomorrow. I'll be posting a campaign journal over at Dragonsfoot later today (same name there as here).

Happy Saturday. Enjoy your Cinco de Mayo responsibly :mrgreen:
Care to link, SL? I'm that damn lazy... ;)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Care to link, SL? I'm that damn lazy... ;)
I was going to ask the same thing, but I think I found it.

B2 Keep on the Borderlands

I haven't played the classic B2 in forever, and I've never gotten very far in it, so I look forward to reading through it.

- Dave
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Thalion
Scout
Scout

#29 Post by Thalion »

Argennian wrote:
Although I'm skeptical of just what the 5e release will be like or if I'll relate to any of it, I'll see what's what for curiosity's sake, if nothing else.

I am stoked to see "Lizards of the Toast" (aka WoC) doing the reprinting of the basic 1e core rulebooks due out this summer. I'm on a waiting list for these at the local game store (http://www.endgameoakland.com) here in town. Not like I need more copies but if enough folks buy them, it would definitely send a message...

Alethan wrote:Hmmm... I think I've found that in OSRIC, personally.
+1 This is pretty much my thoughts as well. The OGL has produced some absolutely awesome retro-clone systems and game products. Their growing popularity and sales is a hopeful indicator that "old-school" gaming is still alive and doing well. If anything, the successes that Pathfinder (primarily) has had and the harsh beating that 4e has taken should certainly come as a wake-up call and notice served to WoC. Guess we'll see if 5e fares any better.
I've already pre-ordered the 1e reprinting from my local gaming store. Just waiting until it ships in the summer to pick it up.

Mitch, I get the feeling you're much more tied into the local Bay Area gaming scene than I am. Know of any old school games in the area that might be interested in another player? I don't have a ton of time for gaming so anything that may meet infrequently would be of interest.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by tkrexx »

Happy Cinco de Mayo, and also Happy Flores de Mayo! Saw "The Avengers" last night, worked today, just got home from a party (The non-drinking kind, unfortunately) and I plan on all manner of laziness tomorrow. Likely I'll do some overabundant yard cleaning, take a pickup load to my Buddy's in the rurals, build a fire & find a beer or two with him for a while. The humidity was awful today, and I did manage to slurp down 1 barley pop before the party, now I'm just too tired to drink. Gonna catch up on the happenings of today, then likely snap a pic or two of the "Big Moon" around 11:30. Also waiting for the results of the Mayweather/Cotto fight.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Argennian »

Well, Cinco de Mayo has come and gone. It was an expectedly long but fun weekend. The Sci-Fi playtest went well and my buddy's birthday thankfully remained amazingly civil. The worst I got was a mild Sunday-am headache from the drinking and some sunburn from my hike. It was unusually hot here in the Bay Area on Sunday so I hiked to the beach and hung out there for the afternoon.

Thalion wrote:I've already pre-ordered the 1e reprinting from my local gaming store. Just waiting until it ships in the summer to pick it up.
Cool! I saw a picture of the outer covers for the three core 1e core books over at either Dragonsfoot or K&KA. VERY curious to know if they're exact duplicates on the inside or if any of the original text was changed or revised?

Thalion wrote:... Mitch, I get the feeling you're much more tied into the local Bay Area gaming scene than I am. Know of any old school games in the area that might be interested in another player? I don't have a ton of time for gaming so anything that may meet infrequently would be of interest.
Well, I'm interested in trying to get some local folks together to try and re-form the "old-school" game group, with perhaps say a monthly/bi-monthly game session at Endgame here in Oakland. The last 2 guys I played with in the original group we formed haven't really been available. On a separate but related note, I am very excited about the fact that the lads at Endgame now recognize OSRIC as a current/in-production ruleset, therefore we're allowed to run that in their Mini-Con now! :P Getting them to acknowledge the good OGL-clones out there, like OSRIC, Swords & Wizardry, etc. was the first step. Maybe I can even convince them to offer OSRIC suppliments & material, too? 8-)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Thalion
Scout
Scout

#32 Post by Thalion »

Argennian wrote:Well, Cinco de Mayo has come and gone. It was an expectedly long but fun weekend. The Sci-Fi playtest went well and my buddy's birthday thankfully remained amazingly civil. The worst I got was a mild Sunday-am headache from the drinking and some sunburn from my hike. It was unusually hot here in the Bay Area on Sunday so I hiked to the beach and hung out there for the afternoon.

Thalion wrote:I've already pre-ordered the 1e reprinting from my local gaming store. Just waiting until it ships in the summer to pick it up.
Cool! I saw a picture of the outer covers for the three core 1e core books over at either Dragonsfoot or K&KA. VERY curious to know if they're exact duplicates on the inside or if any of the original text was changed or revised?

Thalion wrote:... Mitch, I get the feeling you're much more tied into the local Bay Area gaming scene than I am. Know of any old school games in the area that might be interested in another player? I don't have a ton of time for gaming so anything that may meet infrequently would be of interest.
Well, I'm interested in trying to get some local folks together to try and re-form the "old-school" game group, with perhaps say a monthly/bi-monthly game session at Endgame here in Oakland. The last 2 guys I played with in the original group we formed haven't really been available. On a separate but related note, I am very excited about the fact that the lads at Endgame now recognize OSRIC as a current/in-production ruleset, therefore we're allowed to run that in their Mini-Con now! :P Getting them to acknowledge the good OGL-clones out there, like OSRIC, Swords & Wizardry, etc. was the first step. Maybe I can even convince them to offer OSRIC suppliments & material, too? 8-)
I'll let you know when I get them. I think they said July now (for the reprints).

The OSR is really starting to get recognized at local gaming shops. I saw some Swords and Wizardry as well as Dark Dungeon stuff the last time I was at Endgame. The last time I was at Black Diamond in Concord, they not only had a copy or two of OSRIC on the shelves, but also OSRIC Unearthed, which I promptly snatched up. It's kind of cool. It's got more character classes as well as rules for various martial arts/fighting styles.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Argennian »

Hot Damn!!

I'm on frozen Kettel One shots and thai food from across the street, fraking jamming Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind album, this one, namely To Tame a Land. Muad'Dib

.... God, how I'd love to run a group of (title-level) Fremen warriors on a daring and epic mission to (storm) raid Leto's (castle) complex. :D

New allowable PC class in this game: the Bruce Dickenson Bard!! "Ahha-ahha-ahhhaaaaa!!!!"
(comes with partially-shredded leather pants and 747) :shock:

:lol: :lol: :roll:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by rredmond »

Nuke66 wrote:Yea, let's talk sex, politics and kids!
And beer apparently!
:P
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Argennian »

rredmond wrote:
Nuke66 wrote:Yea, let's talk sex, politics and kids!
And beer apparently!
:P
Yep, beer is good!

... Especially in the Tavern thread! 8-)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by Alethan »

Thalion wrote: The OSR is really starting to get recognized at local gaming shops. I saw some Swords and Wizardry as well as Dark Dungeon stuff the last time I was at Endgame. The last time I was at Black Diamond in Concord, they not only had a copy or two of OSRIC on the shelves, but also OSRIC Unearthed, which I promptly snatched up. It's kind of cool. It's got more character classes as well as rules for various martial arts/fighting styles.
The OSRIC Unearthed expansion sounded cool enough that I started looking for it. Found it on DriveThruRPG for $1.99. I'll read through it on my lunch break. :)

Thalion
Scout
Scout

#37 Post by Thalion »

Alethan wrote:
Thalion wrote: The OSR is really starting to get recognized at local gaming shops. I saw some Swords and Wizardry as well as Dark Dungeon stuff the last time I was at Endgame. The last time I was at Black Diamond in Concord, they not only had a copy or two of OSRIC on the shelves, but also OSRIC Unearthed, which I promptly snatched up. It's kind of cool. It's got more character classes as well as rules for various martial arts/fighting styles.
The OSRIC Unearthed expansion sounded cool enough that I started looking for it. Found it on DriveThruRPG for $1.99. I'll read through it on my lunch break. :)
I think the martial arts are cool. There are the traditional eastern martial arts such as aikido, karate, and such... as well as western and fantasy ones too. Boxing, swordfighting and such.

I don't have a feel for power level in terms of whether they're overpowered or not, but it's cool reading.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Argennian »

(Relocated from OOC/Questions? thread)

All,

Wanted to wish everyone here a great Memorial Day weekend! Enjoy yourselves, be thankful & safe!

I got flaked on by 6 of my 8 potential players for a Metamorphosis Alpha tournament game I was gonna run at Kublacon this Sunday. I withdrew my slot so another DM could take it and am kinda bummed since my last attempt to run this one at DunDraCon back in February got scuttled as well! :roll:

So... as an Option B, I'm going north to Stonyford for some serious redneck therapy: camping, dirt bike riding, hiking, fishing, shooting, drinking, etc, etc. 8-)

Take care, be well & I'll check back in here Monday. Huzzah! :P

Edit: can't believe the freakin hot spot works out here! Wait, that's probably not a good thing, right? :geek:

Cheers,

Mitch
Last edited by Argennian on Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by Nuke66 »

Have Fun.

My youngest graduates High School tomorrow!!!

so, party today, and the official stuff on Sunday. busy here as well.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by tkrexx »

Bachelor party for my buddy (His 3rd, some guys never learn) including a concert tonight, cherry-pickin' (literally) for wine tomorrow along with a cookout, then Monday I'm gonna sneak off to do some shooting. Happy Weekend, all!

Return to “A New Hope to the West”