Strategy Thread

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Strategy Thread

#1 Post by Argennian »

This thread is for players to strategize amongst themselves, collaborate on problems, offer ideas, opinions, options, etc!

OOC: Disclaimer: I might fly through here occassionally for a quick reconnoiter...

... so please keep the serious metagaming to a minimum (or at least in PM! :D ;) :roll: ) j/k

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Character Creation

#2 Post by dmw71 »

The guidelines Argennian followed when rolling our initial stats pretty much guarantee we should all have decent characters (we know Thalion does ;) ) so there will be a lot of flexibility.
This is the system I used:

- 4d6 (drop the lowest die)
- All ones are counted as twos
- Any rolls under 8 are rerolled
- Last roll must be at least a 15 or higher
If anyone wants to discuss classes they're considering, much like Nuke66 suggested in the 'fungus' game, I propose that we do it here.

As for me, my favorite class to play is a paladin (but I didn't qualify). I will be willing to play any race/class to support the needs of the group, but I will mention that I am probably most comfortable playing fighters, clerics or thieves. I'm willing to step outside my comfort zone and play another class if needed, though.

- Dave
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Thalion
Scout
Scout

Re: Strategy Thread

#3 Post by Thalion »

I was probably going to play a multiclass fighter/thief.

I'm just curious. Not having played a PbP before, I know we're starting at 1st level, what is everyone's experience in terms of how characters progress level-wise? Will demi-human level limits potentially come into play?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

Thalion wrote:I'm just curious. Not having played a PbP before, I know we're starting at 1st level, what is everyone's experience in terms of how characters progress level-wise? Will demi-human level limits potentially come into play?
I'm still very new to play-by-post games as well. However, having said that, I think it's safe to say that racial level limits shouldn't really factor as a concern. I suspect you could play for a very long time before that would become an issue.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Xaxyx »

Oh, I wouldn't be too sure about that. My hopes of playing a halfling fighter were dashed when I noticed that they are restricted from exceeding a mighty level of *4*. :(

Perhaps one of us should clarify further with our esteemed DM in this regard.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Xaxyx wrote:Oh, I wouldn't be too sure about that. My hopes of playing a halfling fighter were dashed when I noticed that they are restricted from exceeding a mighty level of *4*. :(

Perhaps one of us should clarify further with our esteemed DM in this regard.
I would welcome the opinions of some more experienced players as well, but I can say that the few games I've been involved in (namely the 'Slave Pits of the Undercity' adventure) have been pretty slow to progress. In the previously mentioned game, we started at the end of January and have had a single encounter so far... and are about to have our second.

Progress in a play-by-post game is slower and more deliberate, but still quite fun! It's this slower pace that allows certain players (who shall remain nameless ;) ) the ability to run four, five or more characters at a time.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

On the three longest running games I've been in (about 2 years for one and about 1.5 years for the other two) my characters have only advanced one level each.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:On the three longest running games I've been in (about 2 years for one and about 1.5 years for the other two) my characters have only advanced one level each.
Which is about what I expected.

Hopefully this revelation won't be too off-putting to a new play-by-post player because there are plenty of opportunities for role playing, and I suspect that the time you do spend advancing from level to level will really feel like experience well earned.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Thalion
Scout
Scout

#9 Post by Thalion »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:On the three longest running games I've been in (about 2 years for one and about 1.5 years for the other two) my characters have only advanced one level each.
Which is about what I expected.

Hopefully this revelation won't be too off-putting to a new play-by-post player because there are plenty of opportunities for role playing, and I suspect that the time you do spend advancing from level to level will really feel like experience well earned.
Not a problem for me. I'm pretty old school myself. "Back in the day" I was in a campaign that lasted over 10 years and we only got to 11th or 12th level playing pretty much weekly face to face.

Nowadays, people talk about leveling every couple of sessions and I thnk "what the heck?"

I'll slowly start to put my character together. Waiting to see what other people decide too but I'm pretty certain I want to play a "scout-y" type so elf F/T is probably what I'm going to do. If someone else wants to play a thief, I've no problem being the backup thief.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Character Creation

#10 Post by Nuke66 »

dmw71 wrote:The guidelines Argennian followed when rolling our initial stats pretty much guarantee we should all have decent characters (we know Thalion does ;) ) so there will be a lot of flexibility.

If anyone wants to discuss classes they're considering, much like Nuke66 suggested in the 'fungus' game, I propose that we do it here.

As for me, my favorite class to play is a paladin (but I didn't qualify). I will be willing to play any race/class to support the needs of the group, but I will mention that I am probably most comfortable playing fighters, clerics or thieves. I'm willing to step outside my comfort zone and play another class if needed, though.

- Dave
Cool, I got decent stats, can do just about any class. I struggle with LG alignments, so a Pally is out for me lol.

I tend to gravitate to multi-classed as well, but as of now, my preferred options would be...Druid, Ranger, or Thief/Illusionist.

Still undecided, so open for discussion.

But Mitch, question. What type of campaign are we looking at, Wilderness, Dungeon dives, Urban?

There wouldn't be much of a contribution from a Druid or Ranger if most of the action is in town, or underground, so, just askin'

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by tkrexx »

Druid, Ranger, or Thief/Illusionist.
I'm in this boat. Could go MU/Thf also, and again like you, Pals & LG (& straight Clerics) really aren't my style. Already doing the Ranger thing in the 'Shrooms, so I'd like to branch out, but when it comes right down, I like Rangers. Whatever we're in shortage of.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by SocraticLawyer »

dmw71 wrote:The guidelines Argennian followed when rolling our initial stats pretty much guarantee we should all have decent characters (we know Thalion does ;) ) so there will be a lot of flexibility.

- Dave
I'm considering a half-orc fighter or possibly a dwarf cleric. I've also always had a soft spot for Illusionists....
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Xaxyx »

Firstly, as a quick reminder to everyone: Argennian has asked us to make some additional "mystery rolls" for character generation in the Rules & Requests thread. Please keep in mind that, as of this writing, the dice roller on this forum is still broken, and corrupts each die roll after the first on each roll request. Consequently, I strongly urge everyone to roll *each die roll individually*. For example, don't roll [1d20][1d100]; that will corrupt the d100 roll. Instead, roll [1d20] by itself, then roll [1d100] by itself.
dmw71 wrote:As for me, my favorite class to play is a paladin (but I didn't qualify).
It seems that Argennian will allow players to perform 1-for-1 point exchanges for the explicit purpose of qualifying for a class; please see the OOC / Questions thread for details.

As to the class of my character, I tend to prefer cleric, and the stats I rolled seem suited to such. Probably a dwarf. Can never have too many clerics, eh?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

Xaxyx wrote:It seems that Argennian will allow players to perform 1-for-1 point exchanges for the explicit purpose of qualifying for a class; please see the OOC / Questions thread for details.
I did catch that, and it makes perfect sense. Thanks!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by Xaxyx »

Just to clarify further, regarding dice rolling (my apologies if I sound like a broken record): each *individual die roll* beyond the first is corrupt. Thus, rolling [3d6] (for starting gold, for example) will result in a corrupt roll, as the second and third d6 in the set will be dependent upon the first. This results in a tremendous increase in the likelihood for extreme results, such as rolling a 3 or 18 on 3d6.

To avoid this issue, please, please, roll each 1d6 individually, then add them.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

For organizational purposes:

Race Count
Dwarf: 1
Elf: 2
Gnome: 0
Half Elf: 0
Half Orc: 1
Halfling: 0
Human: 0

Class Count
Assassin: 0
Cleric: 1
Druid: 0
Fighter: 1+ .5 + .5
Illusionist: 0
Magic User: .5
Paladin: 0
Ranger: 0
Thief: .5

Alignment Count
Lawful Good: 0
Neutral Good: 1
Chaotic Good: 1
Lawful Neutral: 0
True Neutral: 0
Chaotic Neutral: 2
Lawful Evil: 0
Neutral Evil: N/A
Chaotic Evil: N/A

Active Player List
1. dmw71 --> * Elf, Fighter/Magic User (CN)
2. Alethan --> * Half orc, Fighter (CN)
3. Nuke66 --> Druid, Ranger, or Thief/Illusionist
4. Xaxyx --> * Dwarf, Cleric (NG)
5. Nyctos --> Unknown, with zero posts to date.
6. SocraticLawyer --> Half-orc, Fighter or Dwarf, Cleric
7. Thalion --> * Elf, Fighter/Thief (CG)
8. tkrexx --> Druid, Ranger, Thief/Illusionist, or Magic User/Thief

* Denotes character has officially been (or is in the process of being) created in the 'Player Characters' thread.
Last edited by dmw71 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote: 2. Alethan --> Surprisingly quiet to this point.
lol

Sorry, folks. My 20 month old child petri dish has been working over-time and got me laid up in bed with a flu bug for the second time this year. I'm somewhat back on my feet (at work again, anyway) and thus activity should increase. Right now, I sound a little worse than I feel. But that's usually the case when I get the flu and it doesn't really affect you in any way since you cannot hear the sound of my voice nor see the disposition of my countenance (not to be confused with 'continence' which... well, we won't go there, will we?).

Should have at least an idea forming by this evening as to what I'll try to pull out of my magician's hat with the stats I was provided.

:)

Cheers,

Al

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Nuke66 »

Thanks Dave for summarizing our current thoughts.

Aside from stating the standard 'Play what you want' I will continue the discussion.

I have 18,16,14,14 for my top 4 stats, though that opens up opportunity for a few thing, but it really does lend it's self to a 18 dex, 16 int for the thief/Illusionist it terms of optimum application. The 14s, while not bad by any stretch, don't really provide any bonuses.

As a Druid, it would be 18 wis, 16 cha....which means no str or dex adjustments, but bonus spells.

Ranger is a stretch, at least in terms of stat bonuses. I am rethinking the fighter-type concept, as perhaps a Archer type, double bow specialization, 18 dex, 16 con?

Who knows, it kinda sucks we have a no show already.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote:Thanks Dave for summarizing our current thoughts.

Aside from stating the standard 'Play what you want' I will continue the discussion.

I have 18,16,14,14 for my top 4 stats, though that opens up opportunity for a few thing, but it really does lend it's self to a 18 dex, 16 int for the thief/Illusionist it terms of optimum application. The 14s, while not bad by any stretch, don't really provide any bonuses.

As a Druid, it would be 18 wis, 16 cha....which means no str or dex adjustments, but bonus spells.

Ranger is a stretch, at least in terms of stat bonuses. I am rethinking the fighter-type concept, as perhaps a Archer type, double bow specialization, 18 dex, 16 con?

Who knows, it kinda sucks we have a no show already.
Questions: What do you most want to play, Nuke? Think about it and let me know and I'll throw some ideas your way. :)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Nuke66 »

well, let's see...

I have a T/MU, F/C here, Ranger and fighter on a second forum, a LG C I took over on a 3rd forum and a str8 MU on a 4th :D

So, I'm still kinda open to rounding out a party. Though, I see a F/MU with a bow, so, still thinking....

Return to “A New Hope to the West”