Strategy Thread

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Strategy Thread

#21 Post by Xaxyx »

Nuke66 wrote:Who knows, it kinda sucks we have a no show already.
If you're speaking of Nyctos, fear not; he'll be along subsequently. He's an RL friend. We've been discussing his character options by phone.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by tkrexx »

Nuke, your rolls are better than mine. 18, 17 & 14, which puts the boot to the Ranger scheme. You called the Ill/Thf & Drd first, I'll wait 'til you decide. I still have the makings of a decent Fighter, tho I won't make it a Dwarf if we have an Half-Orc.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote:well, let's see...

I have a T/MU, F/C here, Ranger and fighter on a second forum, a LG C I took over on a 3rd forum and a str8 MU on a 4th :D

So, I'm still kinda open to rounding out a party. Though, I see a F/MU with a bow, so, still thinking....

If you go with an elven fighter/mu, then you could:
STR: 14, DEX: 17 (16+1), CON: 13 (14-1), INT: 18, WIS: xx, CHA: xx
Elven +1 To Hit w/long sword and bow; wear any armour you want and still cast spells; STR would suck a little, and you'd have no bonus on the CON, but you'd be able to get to lvl 11 MU with the 18 INT and you'd have good To Hit bonuses for long sword and a bow, especially if the GM lets you take specializations with a multiclass (though you could only specialize in one of the two to get the To Hit/Dmg bonuses, even then).

or
STR: 18, DEX: 17 (16+1), CON: 13 (14-1), INT: 14, WIS: xx, CHA: xx
Same as above, only less focus on the MU line, limits you to lvl 9, which really isn't that bad (and... let's be honest, unless we go really hard-core, not something we'll probably ever have to worry about), makes you a more potent fighter w/melee and ranged. With long sword specialization, you'd have +3 To Hit (+1 elf, +1 STR, +1 Spec) and +4 Damage (+2 STR, +2 Spec) with the long sword or you could do long bow specialization and have +4 To Hit (+1 elf, +2 DEX, +1 Spec) and +2 Damage (Spec) with the bow.
(If you single classed the fighter with this build, you would have better HP.)

Mmmm... those are the two best options I can think of if you want to go F/MU.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Nuke66 »

oops, I guess I wasn't clear enough, Dave has already done a F/MU with a bow.

As of now we have 2 clerics, 3 fighter types (2 multi-classed)

So, narrowed down a bit, Druid, or the T/Ill

off to work...yea I know it's a holiday.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

Sorry. Thought you meant you saw one in your future.

Ok, I'll re-think! :) Give me a bit.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by dmw71 »

Nuke66 wrote:oops, I guess I wasn't clear enough, Dave has already done a F/MU with a bow.
Is there a problem having two elven fighter/magic user's? I certainly wouldn't object if you wanted to play the same type of character.

Argennian can confirm this, but I was generating my character as a straight fighter (specialized with a short bow) and only added the magic user at the last minute on a whim. I never play multi-class characters and thought I'd like to try it, but believe me when I say that I'd be happy play Caelvanna a fighter-only if you're worried about having two characters of the same race and classes in the party. I do think fighter/magic user is a pretty potent combination, though, and don't think it would be detrimental to have a pair of them in the group.

As always, just my two cents. :)

- Dave
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by Alethan »

Nuke66 wrote: So, narrowed down a bit, Druid, or the T/Ill
Your only race choice for Thief/Illusionist is gnome, which gives you no stat changes. Best I can think of is:
STR: 14
DEX: 18 (-4 AC, +3 missile and init bonus w/missile weapon in hand)
CON: 16 (+2 HP, +4 bonus to poison and magic saves)
INT: 14
WIS: xx
CHA: xx
Best armour you can wear with a gnome is leather, which goes well for thief skills and you can get an AC of 4. Good thief skill bonuses for high dex; blah bonuses for race, though. No point trying to get your INT up high for XP bonuses because you need both DEX and INT at 17+ and that isn't going to happen.

Druid has two possible builds I'd consider (if it were me, which is how I always approach these):
Halfling Druid Caster:
STR-1: 13 (n/a)
DEX+1: 15 (-1 AC)
CON: xx
INT: xx
WIS: 18 (2/2/1/1 bonus spells, +4 mental saving throws)
CHA: 16
Kind of mediocre melee skills; this will be more of a caster build, but could use the sling to some effect per halfling bonus. Good spell bonuses.

Halfling Druid Slinger:
STR-1: 13
DEX+1: 19 (-4 AC, +3 Missile To Hit, +3 Surprise/init bonus with sling in hand)
CON: xx
INT: xx
WIS: 14 (+2 1st lvl spells)
CHA: 16
Better ranged skills and AC for the loss of bonus spells. +6 To Hit with sling is nice, but... might be better to go with the spell bonuses build for the additional spells at higher levels since your chance to range attack will be somewhat limited (per OSRIC rules on ranging into melee, you won't want to do that very often). Kind of a waste of the 19 DEX with this build...

Do we have a straight-up thief yet? Might want to consider this build...
Halfling Thief (unlimited level progression)
STR-1: 13
DEX+1: 19 (-4 AC, +3 Missile To Hit, +3 Surprise/init bonus with sling in hand)
CON: 16
INT: 14
WIS: xx
CHA: xx
Excellent thief skill bonuses for Dex and Race (this is where the 19 DEX will benefit you), +6 To Hit with sling, good AC (3 w/studded leather), +2 HP/hit die and +4 Save vs. POISON (Oh, if only Black Dougal had been an OSRIC halfling!) and magic.

This last build is very similar to Till, statistically, though it could be infinitely different in personality and such. I gave Till a 16 CHA and lower STR mostly for flavor. Because of the -1 penalty to STR, I would have missed out on To Hit bonuses with a 15 STR, but, in retrospect, the ability to carry more weight might have been preferred over the charming personality. Still, I've grown rather fond of him, even with that one build mistake. :) Maybe it wasn't a mistake. He IS very charming - probably the reason why he'd made it to the current adventure alive; otherwise, I'm sure he'd have rotted away in some jail somewhere.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Nuke66 wrote:oops, I guess I wasn't clear enough, Dave has already done a F/MU with a bow.
Is there a problem having two elven fighter/magic user's? I certainly wouldn't object if you wanted to play the same type of character.

Argennian can confirm this, but I was generating my character as a straight fighter (specialized with a short bow) and only added the magic user at the last minute on a whim. I never play multi-class characters and thought I'd like to try it, but believe me when I say that I'd be happy play Caelvanna a fighter-only if you're worried about having two characters of the same race and classes in the party. I do think fighter/magic user is a pretty potent combination, though, and don't think it would be detrimental to have a pair of them in the group.

- Dave
I agree with Dave. I can see where a pair of ranged elven fighter/mu's in a party would have great potential! Ranged attacks, then cast AOE spells (charm or web or sleep) and finally close in to melee.

But... just threw some other ideas out there to consider.

Master Race be damned! This is going to be a whole party of subs!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

tkrexx wrote:...tho I won't make it a Dwarf if we have an Half-Orc.
It seems like we already have a half orc and a few dwarves in the party.

This could be interesting. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
tkrexx wrote:...tho I won't make it a Dwarf if we have an Half-Orc.
It seems like we already have a half orc and a few dwarves in the party.

This could be interesting. ;)
Here's my opinion on intra-party conflict: I'm opposed to it. Would rather role-play with NPCs in the game than try to hash out differences of opinion with other characters. He won't be a pansy, running around with a bouquet of daisies in his hand, but Bog won't go looking for trouble. He tries hard to embrace his human side, while recognizing the benefits of his orc blood.

If you'll notice, one of the two bonus languages Bog took was dwarvish. My plan is to come up with some kind of back story where he owes his life to some unknown group of dwarves who showed him mercy when he was younger and so he's trying to figure out how to find and repay them the life debt. But I'm also waiting to see what my family history and luck/karma rolls produce; it might change things. I'll weave the story to follow whatever Argennian throws my way. :) I like the idea of doing that.

So, bottom line, there won't be a ton of aggressive interaction by Bog towards dwarves. As long as they don't insult his mom, anyway.
Last edited by Alethan on Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected grammatical error.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by Xaxyx »

Alethan wrote:Here's my opinion on inter-party conflict:
I presume you mean intra-party conflict. Inter-party conflict (i.e., fighting another party of classed characters) can be a terrific encounter and yield much interesting lootz! ;)
...I'm opposed to it. Would rather role-play with NPCs in the game than try to hash out differences of opinion with other characters. He won't be a pansy, running around with a bouquet of daisies in his hand, but Bog won't go looking for trouble. He tries hard to embrace his human side, while recognizing the benefits of his orc blood.
My philosophy is similar. Character personality conflicts can be interesting, but as a player, I don't actively seek them out. I'd rather be at a table -- virtually speaking -- where the players are all running characters who share similar interests and goals. I think this will all work out just fine.
So, bottom line, there won't be a ton of aggressive interaction by Bog towards dwarves. As long as they don't insult his mom, anyway.
I'll keep that in mind!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

Xaxyx wrote:I presume you mean intra-party conflict. !
Yep, sorry, meant intra-party conflict.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Nuke66 »

dmw71 wrote:

- Dave
No, no problem 'per say', but typically I don't like to duplicate just because it rounds out the group. By all means step into the wonderful world of multi-classing, I tend to gravitate to M-C PCs

Upon further review, I have changed my mind.....

Now, it is either a Elven T/MU, or a 1/2 elf C/MU

So, tkrexx, the druid or Gnome is all yours, sorry for holding you up.

more to come, but I wanted to post

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by tkrexx »

NP, tho I'll be plenty busy this weekend, as I suspect most of us will be. As we are well prepared with Fighters, Clerics, and now Thieves & Magic-Users, and as it has been stated that business in the wilderness will be plenty, I sided with the Druid. Should be a healthy party! I did buck the system a little: I chose Human.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:I did buck the system a little: I chose Human.
Freak. ;)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#36 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Freak. ;)
:lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by tkrexx »

:cry:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote::cry:
Just joshin' ya. :)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by tkrexx »

Just for that, this PC will have suffered from being called a freak all her life! The attitude will abound!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Nuke66 »

Well, it's decided, Elf T/MU, will work on rounding out the details today. I passed on the C/MU, mostly 'cause we have 2 clerics and a Dr00d

Return to “A New Hope to the West”