Strategy Thread

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Strategy Thread

#61 Post by Argennian »

+1 to Dave's comments here.

Alethan asked back when we started campaign chargen if anyone was going to have a problem with him playing a half-orc. No one said anything negative about this either in the game forum or to me via pm. As Dave pointed out, there are obviously much more immediate "In Game" concerns for your PCs in escaping the region, as the "King's Eyes" and other soldiers out there could potentially be looking for them already. Think of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing here. Of course, speaking In Character: your PCs will have to spend some time around each other and work together before it can be assumed that a basic level of trust and understanding has been reached or accomplished. I've already thought about that and can assure you this will be the case when we start out.

Point of Order: if no one says that they have an issue with this now, I will expect that to also mean no real problem IC as well. Trading jabs between races IC is one thing, as it can be done in a light-hearted and fun way and add an element of depth to the interaction. Let it be officially noted that I, as DM, will not tolerate any demeaning kind of posts or game-play here and will be quick to intercede if I see something that appears to be heading down the wrong path. Let's all have fun with the party's great diversity of race and background. Who knows, it might very well make the difference in a particular future situation or scenario! ;)

Cheers,

Mitch
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by tkrexx »

I have no problems with any races/classes. Just 'cuz you have a Paladin mixed in with an Assassin, an Half-Orc in the midst of Elves & Dwarves, or CN's associating with LN's doesn't mean there MUST be a brawl every night at camp. It means everyone brings something different with a different flavor to the table. I know some people thrive on game conflict, we've all had some of them in our games before. Me, I just wanna play some D&D again, so trouble isn't in my thoughts.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by Alethan »

Just to be clear, there has been no specific PM or e-mail or interaction in any way, shape, or form that made me consider the reconsideration of race.

I just want to have a good game. :)

I'm perfectly happy with playing Bog as-is. Obviously, that would be easier since I have everything in place already.

But I thought I'd bring it up, just on the off-chance there was an as-yet undisclosed issue.

(And... if you're reading this and a member of the party, and about ready to reply, then part b) of my original post is working just fine. ;) )
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Thalion
Scout
Scout

#64 Post by Thalion »

Alethan wrote: Thoughts? Ideas? Concerns?
I suppose my character would be the one who might have the most trouble with it based on his background, some of which only Mitch knows right now.

Having said that, I'm fine with it. My character's animosities lie elsewhere.

We exchanged PMs about it earlier, I believe. Besides, as was pointed out, we all have some kind of existing relationship with each other right now.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Nuke66 »

no problem here either. play what you want to play. He seems civil enough, given the back story.

In PbP, I feel that there is enough role play without generating intra-party conflict.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by tkrexx »

What I see so far from a strategist's point of view:

Significant advantages:
3 (Count 'em! 3!!) Top Shots with a bow.
A Warrior with big HP and a very little, nigh-unhittable AC.
A big HP Bruiser who is not without brains.
A pair of walking dreadnaughts armed with blunt-force trauma, Commands, & Cure Light Wounds, together forming a functionable Fear to Undead.
Sleep.
When outdoors, Entangle.
2 opportunities for backstab damage at +5 to hit.
All members are multi-lingual.

Significant disadvantges:
Some suck AC and/or HP on a few 1st & 2nd rank fighters. Mine in particular hasn't a + to hit, damage or defense.
3 Top Shot archers. I know it's a great advantge, but Bog & the Dwarven Clerics can't be expected to frontline on a continual basis. I understand all too well Thalion's desire to avoid melee within reason (Emm too suffers from this malady!), Caelvanna's logic in this manner is also well taken, and to do without Griffo's giant +6 w/bow would be sinful.
1 MU with Sleep and 3 HP. The best and the worst of us.
One of us (Hiding my face) without infravision. The light will signal our approach.

It looks as tho some encounters with those who would do us harm might be best handled with a short, momentary retreat so arrows can pepper the enemy from multiple avenues before melee, while Hartnid, Ulrich & Bog form a virtual Wall of Iron. But at some point Griffo simply must melee. He's our Legolas, probably will outlive us all. This scenario is taking into account a large encounter area, of course. Single or double marching will create their own problems, as well as their own set of advantages.

At this point, my PC will likely be the least useful among us away from the wild (By that I mean the least key). Guarding the Mage is always a noble persuit, but what if I turn around and find she's off on a backstab raid! I expect melee for Emm, but I don't expect her to be the last standing. I figure I'll try my best to keep her from draining CLW from the rest of the party, and provide whatever stop-gap measures that become nessecary.

Please, discuss! Check me on my mistakes & balance me with other scenarios where I may be more helpful.

Nyctos
Strider
Strider

#67 Post by Nyctos »

tkrexx wrote:
and to do without Griffo's giant +6 w/bow would be sinful.
Don't insult me with a mere +6 to hit. I'm +7 to hit +2 damage with an AR of 3/2. Because +6 to hit just wasn't good enough... heh

But honestly from my point of view as long as we have the basics covered we're all good. I do like some pre-game strategies and it adds to the buildup for the actual game but after all we are supposed to be thrown together by happenstance. What would the odds be that we would have everything covered and every scenario accounted for from the get go. Some exploration in game in the best ways to do things adds flavor. I don't see any reason to change what we have going for us. And this is coming from the PC who can't pass lvl 4.....

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by Nuke66 »

yea, it looks good, the trick is to stay out of surprise situations. I know it'll slow things down a bit, but we just might make it.

Good group, should make for some interesting tactics to throw at Arg.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by tkrexx »

Ack! I stand corrected, +7! Egad.

Sorry, I had a medical issue and was home for 3 days. Too much time on my hands, leads to too much thinking. (A dangerous passtime, I know.)

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Anybody think it's worthwhile to drop a Detect Evil at this point, possibly sniff out some bad guys in the bunch? I'm considering swapping that slot out for Protection from Evil or CLW anyways....
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by Nuke66 »

It can be construed as a hostile action, if not done very discretely. Not sure what is will tell you.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Nuke66 »

Without sharing IC info, what do you think? I think we puny PC's have no impact on the demonic battle, other than our mystery rolls that is.

And I suppose as support staff.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Nuke66 »

I am not sure what we want to do here. I would be willing to sneak into the cave and perhaps extend their nap....on, if it is only one, quietly dispatch him.....

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by tkrexx »

Agreed, with the cover of spells and missiles if something goes awry. I don't think it would be wise to await the balance of their team, if they get hunkered down in their cave it'll be serious trouble getting them to come out & play.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by SocraticLawyer »

I agree as well. We have, for the moment, the element of surprise on our side. I think we should use it.

Perhaps our stealthy types could sneak in and observe, reporting back what type of opposition we face.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by Alethan »

SocraticLawyer wrote:I agree as well. We have, for the moment, the element of surprise on our side. I think we should use it.

Perhaps our stealthy types could sneak in and observe, reporting back what type of opposition we face.
Ahhhh... A job not for Bog, then. Which is good. Last time he tried to get into a cave, he ended up fighting a ginormous strangle vine.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by SocraticLawyer »

I like the idea of invisible party members taking out our Fireballing foe. What do you guys think about making them silent as well? Ulrich has one Silence spell memorized. On the one hand, they would be nigh-undetectable with both invisibility and silence, and if they get close enough the wand's user would not be able to activate it. On the other hand, they would be unable to communicate.

Also, now seems like a good time for Resist Fire, no? I'm thinking maybe those of us who are not invisible could act as a decoy, while the invisible ones take out the bad guy?

What do you guys think?

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna also has the ring of spell turning so that should help. The silence would help no speed reduction.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by tkrexx »

Each Resist/Protection From Fire will last 50 minutes, we'll need to take that into account. The Silence/Invisibility combo is ALWAYS devastating! Emm would love to see the cretin die; maybe Shanny can communicate with his corpse. Don't know who the "body" might be, but he took a fair number of fireballs. That makes him tough. So he may still live, and be in serious need of healing.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by Alethan »

Bog is willingto go invis/silence and try and take him out.

Return to “A New Hope to the West”