OOC / Questions?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC / Questions?

#1 Post by Argennian »

This is where we'll post OOC comments and questions for the DM!

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: OOC / Questions?

#2 Post by Xaxyx »

Alignments: Go with OSRIC BtB (By the Book) here. All lawful and most neutral alignments are allowed for PCs. If you want to play an evil-aligned PC, you'll have to contact me about it and get it okayed before moving forward.
Are chaotic alignments permitted?
Weapon Specialization: We'll be going OSRIC (pg13) BtB on this for single-class fighters. Double specialization will be allowed with special training parameters.
So weapon specialization is not permitted for rangers, nor for paladins? Only for fighters, and only if they're single-classed?

Can you please elaborate on the special training parameters for double specialization?

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Xaxyx »

Pursuant to recent discussion: are racial level limits being applied as per OSRIC BtB?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Argennian »

Xaxyx wrote:
Alignments: Go with OSRIC BtB (By the Book) here. All lawful good and neutral alignments are allowed for PCs. If you want to play an evil-aligned PC, you'll have to contact me about it and get it okayed before moving forward.
Are chaotic alignments permitted?
Yeah sorry, that was a typo on my part! :oops:

I meant to say "All Good and Neutral alignments are allowed for PCs". (I'll correct that in the Rules & Requests thread!)

So to point, yes, Chaotic Good and even Chaotic Neutral alignments are allowed. :)

The only alignments that I do not want available to PCs are Neutral Evil and Chaotic Evil. Lawful Evil could be allowed, but only if the player wanted to play an assassin class/multi-class character, but this would have to be something that the player and I discuss in detail and expectation.

With all of the good and neutral alignments available, that should hopefully work out for folks. The overall alignment/bent of the campaign world varies from civilization to the more remote regions but is generally lawful and good in nature. Outright evil will be shunned and met with resistance, and would be put down by any authority/common folk, if able. Mostly. 8-)

Xaxyx wrote:
Weapon Specialization: We'll be going OSRIC (pg13) BtB on this for single-class fighters. Double specialization will be allowed with special training parameters.
So weapon specialization is not permitted for rangers, nor for paladins? Only for fighters, and only if they're single-classed?

Can you please elaborate on the special training parameters for double specialization?
Yes, Weapon Specialization for single-class fighters only. And it must be declared at character generation. Rangers and Paladins have unique powers and capabilities that fighters don't and I look at WS as being one of the great assets of playing a straight fighter class PC!

(Note: I do have some additional House Rules for WS that I might apply, such as allowing multi-class fighter PCs to specialize in their primary proficient weapon at 3rd level and maybe rangers and paladins at 5th. I'll think about this...)

Double Specialization: A fighter can only be become double specialized if they're trained by a higher-level fighter or weaponmaster* that is currently double specialized in the same weapon. There will be conditional modifiers on training time and such, as tbd. So this could happen as early as 3rd level, trainer available and willing!

(* weaponmaster is an npc class! ;) )
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Argennian »

Xaxyx wrote:Pursuant to recent discussion: are racial level limits being applied as per OSRIC BtB?
Yes, we'll be going OSRIC BtB on demi-human level limits. (I will note this in the Rules & Requests thread)

BUT... that being said, there is always the chance to magically alter these restrictions. Something very powerful such as a Wish spell, Alter Reality magic, ???, etc. could be utilized. (Never say never, you know! ;) )
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Argennian »

dmw71 wrote:... As for me, my favorite class to play is a paladin (but I didn't qualify). I will be willing to play any race/class to support the needs of the group, but I will mention that I am probably most comfortable playing fighters, clerics or thieves. I'm willing to step outside my comfort zone and play another class if needed, though...
As stated in the "launch thread", I will allow a player to do a "point for point" exchange with their stat rolls to qualify for a particular class that they really want to play. I'll update the Rules & Requests thread with this.

(Again, apologies here gang as I didn't have the character generation section near completed by the time I had to go to work this am! :oops: )

Nuke66 wrote:... But Mitch, question. What type of campaign are we looking at, Wilderness, Dungeon dives, Urban?

There wouldn't be much of a contribution from a Druid or Ranger if most of the action is in town, or underground, so, just askin'
Great question! (And one I'd have answered for you if I had all the character/campaign info posted. Doh! :roll: )

Yes, (without giving too much away before posted in the Player/Campaign Backgrounds) there will be plenty of wilderness and situations to afford a Druid or Ranger plenty of contributions! :P

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Argennian »

Thalion wrote:... I'm just curious. Not having played a PbP before, I know we're starting at 1st level, what is everyone's experience in terms of how characters progress level-wise? ...
Everyone's PC starts out with 500xp and will progress as they gain experience with all of the things they do and accomplish. I will be using the OSRIC BtB training costs/times as a guideline, as there will frequently be conditional, In Game modifiers or opportunities possible. I will be awarding xp for gold and also for accomplishing storyline/mission goals.

There will be other House Rules that I'll be applying here as DM, such as when a PC gains enough experience to level up and either cannot find a trainer or take the time to train due to In Game conditional circumstances, he/she will be able to roll their hit dice for the next level and add that to their current Hit Points. They will not, however, be able use any improved numbers on their Thac0 or Saving Throws until such time as they can complete formal training. I also have special House Rules that cover training oneself when a trainer cannot be located, etc. I'll be sure to list all these in the Rules & Requests thread.

Thalion wrote:... Will demi-human level limits potentially come into play?
Please see 2 posts above.

(I'll update all this stuff and get it posted as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience! :) )

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:As stated in the "launch thread", I will allow a player to do a "point for point" exchange with their stat rolls to qualify for a particular class that they really want to play. I'll update the Rules & Requests thread with this.
I know in OD&D they had a point exchange system in place, but not in AD&D. Can I request more details for what you had in mind?

What are your restrictions on this practice?
* Can any ability score be raised/lowered?
* Can multiple ability scores be raised/lowered?
* Can an ability score be raised/lowered more than one point?

A point-for-point exchange is pretty generous in my opinion.

Hypothetically speaking, could a player drop one ability four points (say, from a 13 to an 9, where a 9 has basically the same value as a 13) and add two points each to two different ability scores (turning two 16's into 18's)?

Please don't think I'm trying to take advantage of the situation, I'm not even positive I will be doing this, but it is an intriguing possibility you're presenting us with so I'd like to fully understand what you had in mind when proposing this idea. :D

- Dave
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Argennian »

dmw71 wrote:
Argennian wrote:As stated in the "launch thread", I will allow a player to do a "point for point" exchange with their stat rolls to qualify for a particular class that they really want to play. I'll update the Rules & Requests thread with this.
I know in OD&D they had a point exchange system in place, but not in AD&D. Can I request more details for what you had in mind?

What are your restrictions on this practice?
* Can any ability score be raised/lowered?
* Can multiple ability scores be raised/lowered?
* Can an ability score be raised/lowered more than one point?

A point-for-point exchange is pretty generous in my opinion.

Hypothetically speaking, could a player drop one ability four points (say, from a 13 to an 9, where a 9 has basically the same value as a 13) and add two points each to two different ability scores (turning two 16's into 18's)?

Please don't think I'm trying to take advantage of the situation, I'm not even positive I will be doing this, but it is an intriguing possibility you're presenting us with so I'd like to fully understand what you had in mind when proposing this idea. :D

- Dave

No worries, Dave! 8-)

I'm only offering this to players that really, really want to play a specific class that their rolls cannot be rearranged to meet the minimum requirements on. This is something that I've seen house ruled mostly as just a way to avoid having to reroll again and again to achieve the needed stat minimums for a desired class.

This point for point system can only be used to make the minimum stat requirements and a point can be moved from an ability score of the player's choosing to accomplish this. It cannot be used to modify other stats (not required of the class) or increase the required attribute requisites past their absolute minimums.

Example: you need that 17 CHA to qualify for a paladin PC but only have a 15 CHA. You could take 2 points from any other stat roll (or rolls) and apply it to make the 17 CHA. (The points can come from different stat rolls.) You could not use 3 points to make it an 18 CHA.

Hope that covers it. :)

NOTE: If anyone here wants to do this, please shoot me a pm

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Thalion
Scout
Scout

#10 Post by Thalion »

How do I link rolls to my character sheet from the dice roller?

Do I link them individually?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:I'm only offering this to players that really, really want to play a specific class that their rolls cannot be rearranged to meet the minimum requirements on. This is something that I've seen house ruled mostly as just a way to avoid having to reroll again and again to achieve the needed stat minimums for a desired class.

This point for point system can only be used to make the minimum stat requirements and a point can be moved from an ability score of the player's choosing to accomplish this. It cannot be used to modify other stats (not required of the class) or increase the required attribute requisites past their absolute minimums.
This makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification. :)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Xaxyx »

Chance to start with a Magic Item!: Everyone gets a base 10%/level chance to roll for a magic item on Sub-Table One in the OSRIC manual on page 167. If you roll 10 or under on percentile then you make another roll on Sub-Table One. What you get is yours, no re-rolling. Loaning, swapping, trading or selling of any item is at the discretion of its owner! (Please link these rolls on your character sheet!)
XP: each character will start with 500xp. This total will be divided by the number of classes for multi-class PCs.
So aren't we all therefore starting at character level 1, and have a 10% chance for a magic item? Why the additional note about 10%/level?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Argennian »

Xaxyx wrote:
Chance to start with a Magic Item!: Everyone gets a base 10% /level chance to roll for a magic item on Sub-Table One in the OSRIC manual on page 167. If you roll 10 or under on percentile then you make another roll on Sub-Table One. What you get is yours, no re-rolling. Loaning, swapping, trading or selling of any item is at the discretion of its owner! (Please link these rolls on your character sheet!)
XP: each character will start with 500xp. This total will be divided by the number of classes for multi-class PCs.
So aren't we all therefore starting at character level 1, and have a 10% chance for a magic item? Why the additional note about 10%/level?

Apologies for the typo. The percentile chance for a magic item is 10% per level but, yes, all PCs are starting at 1st level and so it was unnecessary to state that in the description. I've already made the correction in the Rules & Requests thread.

Yes PCs are all starting at 1st level with 500xp. If you are a multiclass character, you divide this amount by the number of classes. example: a fighter/thief would start with 250xp/250xp; a fighter/thief/magic-user would start with 166xp/166xp/166xp (all fractions are rounded down for xp)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Argennian »

Thalion wrote:How do I link rolls to my character sheet from the dice roller?
Whenever you make a die roll on the unseenservant roller, there will be a Hyperlink below the PbP Forum Code in the roll window that opens. This hyperlink is what will link back to your die roll. At the bottom of you character sheet, just indicate what the roll and the result is and then copy and paste the hyperlink below it.

example: (I made a test d20 roll using a PbP character I play over at DF)

Brother Billabeck's 1st d20 roll:
[1d20] = 15

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=4033

Many folks here like to notate the type/result of the die roll in the hyperlink itself. There are instructions on how to do this in the RPG Discussion thread. But you are not required to do it that way and can just use the method I showed above. This will also be the way we post die rolls for making attack rolls, saving throws, ability checks, weapon damage, etc.

Thalion wrote:Do I link them individually?
Yes.

As has been stated previous, there are some issues with the unseenservant dice roller right now in regards to the randomness of numbers generated in a string after the first roll.

ATM (at the moment), we will make all rolls individually and post them as such. So, for example: when you are calculating your starting gold, you must roll each dice individually, then manually add them up and multiply them by 10. To make an attack roll, the To Hit roll and the Damage rolls must be made separately. In the character creation thread, I asked for each player to make 3 series of rolls utilizing a d20 and a d100. Make these rolls separately and post the separate link to each corresponding roll.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Argennian wrote:Yes PCs are all starting at 1st level with 500xp.
Would an experience point bonus (if your prime requisite qualifies you) be applied to this 500xp starting amount (e.g. 550xp), or is that the starting amount regardless?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Argennian »

dmw71 wrote:
Argennian wrote:Yes PCs are all starting at 1st level with 500xp.
Would an experience point bonus (if your prime requisite qualifies you) be applied to this 500xp starting amount (e.g. 550xp), or is that the starting amount regardless?
Yeah sure, if your PC gets the 10% bonus, why not? :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#17 Post by Xaxyx »

Any word from ToniXX when he'll set up your campaign with an ID in the roller, so we can bind our characters to it?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Argennian »

Xaxyx wrote:Any word from ToniXX when he'll set up your campaign with an ID in the roller, so we can bind our characters to it?
ToniXX has been very busy and is dealing with a ton of RL work drama at present so I told him to absolutely get all that handled first. We've still got stuff to cover off on here and I'm hoping to get caught up with most of it over the weekend. I will, of course, update everyone immediately upon receipt.

I appreciate and hope to count on everyone's patience and understanding here. Rest assured that we'll get all things handled and sorted in due course.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Argennian »

Re: Character backgrounds

I will be putting together everyone's rolled for information this weekend and submitting that via pm so that you all can complete your PC backgrounds. I also figured that it would be handy to have the Character Background thread completed as well, as this is where the common background theme that binds the party will be detailed. I'll also be sure to enter racial information and histories in the main Campaign Background thread for player reference.

Appreciations again for all your patience with this as we get this sucker rolling down the runway and picking up speed! :)

Cheers,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by tkrexx »

You mentioned the following:
and some aspects of the Unearthed Arcana
Any aspects other than weapon specs?

Return to “A New Hope to the West”