OOC / Questions? Pt.2

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC / Questions? Pt.2

#201 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Are we going to be resting long enough for Ulrich to cast a 3rd level spell and then rememorize? I've marked Dispel Magic for his 3rd level spell, but at some point he wants to memorize Continual Light and cast it upon a copper piece, to keep in his pocket as needed. If the party has the time now, Ulrich will do so, but if we're venturing out again without time to memorize Dispel Magic, he'll wait until a more convenient time.

Also, does the camp have any dwarf-sized plate mail? Now that Ulrich has his fancy magic boots, his movement rate should stay at 120 regardless of his encumbrance. If that's right, and if there is a suit available, Ulrich will upgrade to plate mail.

I'm good with Emm taking the ring. :)
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by tkrexx »

Oorah! For the the Dispel Magic! Since new spell slots have opened, I'm for filling them up. Detect Magic is back on the list here. Also, FWIW, Emm finally rolled better than 3 or below on hp: 7!!! 20 hp almost brings her to 5th lvl average.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#203 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna has plenty of first level spells....thanks to the ring. I suppose I should do some rolling for HPs and spells as well.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

ASC: OOC for SL & party!

#204 Post by Argennian »

Sorry for the delay here all, crazy last few weeks! :oops:
SocraticLawyer wrote:Are we going to be resting long enough for Ulrich to cast a 3rd level spell and then rememorize? I've marked Dispel Magic for his 3rd level spell, but at some point he wants to memorize Continual Light and cast it upon a copper piece, to keep in his pocket as needed. If the party has the time now, Ulrich will do so, but if we're venturing out again without time to memorize Dispel Magic, he'll wait until a more convenient time.
Yeah, you guys just came out of the gem-merging training in the evening time and after dinner (which is the next action post where everyone sorts treasure & equipment needs and discusses what's coming up the next day), everyone's off to bed for the night, so we can say Ulrich would have plenty of time to do so...
Unless, of course, the ship & cove were attacked overnight! :twisted:
SocraticLawyer wrote:Also, does the camp have any dwarf-sized plate mail? Now that Ulrich has his fancy magic boots, his movement rate should stay at 120 regardless of his encumbrance. If that's right, and if there is a suit available, Ulrich will upgrade to plate mail.

Yep, the wearer gets the base move of 120/rd up until they become over-encumbered. Since Ulrich has a 12 STR, he can carry up to 160lbs. (He would normally be heavily encumbered and barely able to move between 115-160lbs!)

Re: armor: there's definitely a suit of banded mail ready & available now and a suit of human-sized plate that could be fitted for him in a day's time.
tkrexx wrote:Oorah! For the the Dispel Magic! Since new spell slots have opened, I'm for filling them up. Detect Magic is back on the list here. Also, FWIW, Emm finally rolled better than 3 or below on hp: 7!!! 20 hp almost brings her to 5th lvl average.
Nice!! 8-)

*** Kindly requesting folks please put the link to those HP rolls at the bottom of your character sheets! ***
Alethan wrote:
tkrexx wrote:Last chance! Anyone else wants that +1 ring, speak up or Emm's gonna grab it.
Bog can use one more ring still, but Emm needs it more. She should take it.
SocraticLawyer wrote:I'm good with Emm taking the ring. :)
Looks like the Ring of Protection +1 is going to the druidess! :)

~ Working on the next action post now and still have a few pms that need to go out... (sorry for the dreadful lag, Nuke! PM forthcoming!! :oops: )

Also looks like some folks still need to roll HPs for next level(s), adjust saving throws & Thac0, add new weapon proficiencies, etc. Please update your Character & Battle Sheets when can and I'll go through and double check them after the next action post is up.

I also went back and added a couple of magic items I'd missed to the lists in the Game Announcements & Status thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=526&start=20#p299526

Please let me know here or via pm if you have any questions or see any discrepancies!
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: ASC: OOC for SL & party!

#205 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:Yeah, you guys just came out of the gem-merging training in the evening time and after dinner (which is the next action post where everyone sorts treasure & equipment needs and discusses what's coming up the next day), everyone's off to bed for the night, so we can say Ulrich would have plenty of time to do so...
Unless, of course, the ship & cove were attacked overnight! :twisted:
Yep, the wearer gets the base move of 120/rd up until they become over-encumbered. Since Ulrich has a 12 STR, he can carry up to 160lbs. (He would normally be heavily encumbered and barely able to move between 115-160lbs!)

Re: armor: there's definitely a suit of banded mail ready & available now and a suit of human-sized plate that could be fitted for him in a day's time.
Awesome! Ulrich will accept the risk of another night attack for the Continual Light copper piece. He'll also upgrade to banded mail, and request that the plate mail be fitted for him. I'll update his character and battle sheets accordingly.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: ASC: OOC for SL & party!

#206 Post by Argennian »

SocraticLawyer wrote:Awesome! Ulrich will accept the risk of another night attack for the Continual Light copper piece. He'll also upgrade to banded mail, and request that the plate mail be fitted for him. I'll update his character and battle sheets accordingly.
So noted, Big D! :)

~ apologies again for the dreadful delay here, gang. Had a ton o' crapola stack that I needed to get sorted prior to starting back up at work this week, which picked up right where it left off: crazy busy! We absorbed a national managed services provider and are now going to be changing company names on top of all the usual drama you enjoy with the regular duties, so it's been a challenge to get back up to freeway speeds. But good news is my injuries are finally healed to a point where I believe I've turned the corner there. I even rode my dangerously-radical mountain bike a few days ago. Just around the block... no downhills, jumps or Peter Sagan wheelies to be had. In fact, my boss told me that I should stick to my exercise bike for the next few months... and wear my moto gear in case I fall off it! :roll:

POP: All previous ongoing PMs now completed and I'm back working on our next action post. Looks like everyone rolled hit points and have their portion of the loot noted, so bar any upcoming additions/changes we should be good to go there! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by tkrexx »

This storm fills me with such power as I've only imagined, A great smile brightens her face, We should use this power, before the weather changes. The Fire Fiend will have little chance! And yet... Her expression changes, If he is residing in the caves, and we track him there, the weather will be of no use.
I'm looking for counsel, gang! Emm can cast 3 3rd lvl spells now. At the moment she's got Call Lightning, Neutralize Poison, Protection From Fire. I never like to be without a NP, tho we've all seen games where it's used maybe once, and others where you can't carry enough of it. CL is only a good idea when there is a storm, which there currently is, but it's worth almost half of zero underground. PFF is top-notch, especially since this asshole we're chasing likes his wand of fire. Between Ulrich & Emm, we could cut the damage of his fire on the party substantially, but leave little room for other spells.

Ideas?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#209 Post by Alethan »

We all have slow poison potions, as well. So maybe some different offensive spells?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Couple quick things:

I agree that Call Lighting, being highly situational, might not be a good choice. It's a powerhouse when conditions are right, but if we are heading inside the caves, not so much. Also, Ulrich has Slow Poison memorized, so I think we're probably OK on poison. We can likely make it back to camp with any poisoned folks in time to neutralize if necessary.

Like an idiot, I did not take Resist Fire for one of Ulrich's second-level spells. Is it too late to switch out Speak with Animals??

Regarding the dragon turtle problem, is there a way to set it loose upon the pirate ship? I don't want to release Pickles into the wild, only to have him attack our ship!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by tkrexx »

It's the pirate ship I was thinking of when I selected Call Lightning... If we could give those boogers a reason NOT to stand against us, they might well join us. It's hypothetical, I know. I don't much care for Summon Insects, it's too much like CL; takes too long to cast with an incredibly short range, tho is magnificent WHEN it works. The only thing with CL is we have to reach the caves, and that takes time. Alot could happen. CL offers nearly an hour of shattering damage should something oppose us on our way. I personally lean toward more Protection From Fire. It's within the realm of possibility that we could rest once we reach the caves, and regain the fire resistance spells. With that asshole alone he'd be hard pressed to challenge us, IF he's still alone. He may well have summoned reinforcements via a "Help" crystal like the one we found on the Cleric. I'm just trying to cover as many angles as we can. Teamwork WORKS!

The Dragon Turtle is a problem all its own. It's growing too fast to control, and feed, but we don't want it turning against us. I understand the sailors' concerns, that only makes sense, but if there is a Dragon Turtle egg, there is a Dragon Turtle Mama. I for one don't want to piss her off!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#212 Post by Nuke66 »

Animal Friendship is a good thing, That turtle could be an asset, if it can be controlled.

The Ring of Spell reflection could be the trick, it would be a bit of a surprise.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Argennian »

Yo Fellers!

Happy Friday everyone! :) I see a couple of points/queries that need responding to/clarified, so here goes...
Alethan wrote:We all have slow poison potions, as well...
Claification POP: wanted to cover off on these. Firstly, these aren't traditional potion bottles but smaller vials, which are @ half the size & weight/encumbrance (1lb. for vial vs 2lbs. for potion bottle/flask). Second, they only work to counter naturally-occurring poisons/toxins, not the man-made/refined kind that, for example, an assassin would use or would be on a poison needle trap*.

Here's the In Game descriptor for those:
... He (Billy) then turns and approaches Bogdan, Caelvanna and Emm, reaching into the upper pocket of his shirt and handing each of them a small vial of whitish-yellow fluid. "This is an anti-venom and naturally-occurring toxins treatment of sorts. It can be ingested if one is conscious and able or applied topically to a poisoned wound if they are not or unable. It is not an antidote and will only work to slow down any poisons or toxins. There is only one dose per vial and it's effects last about an hour, maybe a wee bit more depending. So if any of you get bit by what you suspect to be a poisonous snake or creature or get pricked by one of those plants Emm described, use it and get your butts back here asap!"
* ~ of course, it's certainly possible that a natural poison or toxin could be used in either such application noted. Just didn't want a false understanding of it's properties moving forward! :geek:

SocraticLawyer wrote:... Like an idiot, I did not take Resist Fire for one of Ulrich's second-level spells. Is it too late to switch out Speak with Animals??
It's not too late! :)

We'll assume all casters have time to memorize and reup their spell rosters after dinner, so you guys can pick and choose and make any changes necessary. That is until the party actually departs the ship & cove to head out on their next foray...
SocraticLawyer wrote:... Regarding the dragon turtle problem, is there a way to set it loose upon the pirate ship? I don't want to release Pickles into the wild, only to have him attack our ship!
Well, even though it's growing extremely quickly, it's still a baby and would not be much threat to a medium or large ship at present.

POP: At the present rate it's growing, granted it can continue to get all the food it needs, Ulrich figures it would be many more weeks or likely a month plus before it's large enough to cause any real damage to a ship in that regard. Longboat though? That might be another story... :twisted:

But all that aside, I most certainly like your thinking here, Big D! ;)
tkrexx wrote:... The Dragon Turtle is a problem all its own. It's growing too fast to control, and feed, but we don't want it turning against us. I understand the sailors' concerns, that only makes sense, but if there is a Dragon Turtle egg, there is a Dragon Turtle Mama. I for one don't want to piss her off!
A point of order pomegranate most true! :ugeek:
Nuke66 wrote:Animal Friendship is a good thing, That turtle could be an asset, if it can be controlled. ...
Emm would realize that a dragon turtle, or any dragon for that matter, is considered a monster, so an Animal Friendship or Speak With Animals spell would not work.

~ Think we're pretty much GtG for the next action post, minus some hit point rolls needed for Manoah's level up and a couple other small clarification details, but nothing that will hold us up at present. Looking to get the next action post up over this weekend and hope everyone here and theirs are doing well, safe and warm. And that all you good people have a Happy Easter! :mrgreen:

Best,

Mitch

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by tkrexx »

One other thing that might behoove us about CL: That damn devil-lizard that keeps showing up when least needed. I'm tired of that reptile! Speak With Animals worked once, possibly only because we had an offering of Human sacrifice available. We are stronger now, but that thing is gonna do some harm if we encounter it again. A big zap might be what we need. That being said, a ten minute spread of spell casting, followed by 1 HOUR of available zap leaves a small window of opportunity. And that critter ain't gonna make itself easy to predict.

Mitch, how long a march is it to the cave site? That might be the deciding factor.

EDIT: SWA might well work in combination with a missile from the Necklace of Fire; an afterthought.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#215 Post by Alethan »

Didn't we finally kill that thing?

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by tkrexx »

Dis I miss/forget that? That'd make a big difference, too. :shock:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#217 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:Dis I miss/forget that? That'd make a big difference, too. :shock:
I believe it happened aroundthe fight with the fireball mage and the dragon turtle egg...

It's listed under KIAs here: viewtopic.php?p=224295#p224295

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Argennian »

Confirmed! :)

Good old One-Eye the giant monitor lizard is deceased. Slain by Master Sgt. Calvin Cutler when it tried to eat him...
... The baddie cleric used a speak with animals spell or two to gain control of the giant monitor, and used it as a diversion in an ambush of our beloved cook. When Cutler was drawn out of his hiding spot to confront the threat, he was hit with a hold person spell (which he obviously failed his save for). Post a quick check over, the navy priest then "fed" him to the overgrown reptile like a biscuit and sent it packing back along it's way eastward. It was munching on him and just getting ready to swallow when the spell duration ended...

Hope everyone had a good, safe & warm Easter! I did but ended up becoming way busier than anticipated. Working on our next action post now but will likely be tomorrow before finished and ready with everyone's new numbers.

Oh wait, just saw the time. It is tomorrow! :shock:

Damn, going to bed. Tomorrow I mean tonight! :oops:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by tkrexx »

Dang! Remind me NOT to piss Cutler off! Nearly eaten and still killed the beast.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by tkrexx »

Ok, if we're all sure we have enough toxin-protection, Emm's spell list will be as follows:

1st level:
Detect Magic, Speak w/Animals x2, Entangle, Faerie Fire, Shillelagh

2nd level:
Charm Person/Mammal, Cure Light Wounds x3, Heat Metal

3rd level:
Protection From Fire x3

Any other suggestions are most welcome!

Return to “A New Hope to the West”