Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC / Questions? Pt.2

#181 Post by tkrexx »

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Argennian »

Rexx: Ha! I love that! And it's true... :)

Okay guys, here's a list of the latest treasure just identified.

The items book description & page number for these is in the Party Encounters: Kills, Treasure & XP thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=509#p224295

From the ambush of the Karagonian soldier contingent:

1. Karagonian masterwork chain armor
2. +1 medium metal shield
3. +1 Footman's mace
4. Ring of Swimming
5. Ring of Spell Turning
6. Amulet of Life Protection (still has dead Karagonian Navy cleric's soul in it!)

Soldiers' other items (non-magical):
- 4 Karagonian Navy break-in emergency crystals on silver chain necklaces
- Karagonian soldiers' items: 4 sets of chain armor, longswords, hand-axes, daggers, (only 3) heavy crossbows, backpacks, coin purses, etc.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#183 Post by Alethan »

Mitch, quick question...

In 1E, Banded Mail is AC4 and chain is AC5, right?

What are the benefits of "Masterwork" armour? And if Bog is using a shield, then his front AC should be 3 (actually 2 now, with a +1 shield), with his banded mail. Dang.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#184 Post by Nuke66 »

ok, how about new XP awards, based on new loot, I think Lauranna has enough banked to make the gem worthwhile.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC for Al & party

#185 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Mitch, quick question...

In 1E, Banded Mail is AC4 and chain is AC5, right?
Correct, sir!
Alethan wrote:What are the benefits of "Masterwork" armour?

Masterwork armor offers the same base AC of its normal/mundane counterpart(s), but does have some specific benefits & differences. Although there's no difference in the base AC of the armor type, the masterwork armor is slightly lighter and worth much more, being anywhere from 2-3 times as expensive to manufacture. Their superior construction also allows them a +1 bonus versus the following 3 saving throws: Blow-Crushing, Blow-Normal & Fall. Just like masterwork weapons, these suits of armor are always made by a master smith via contract for a specific individual by a lord, nobleman, etc., so they are typically never found offered for sale.

Using the example of chainmail armour (or "mail hauberk or byrnie" in OSRIC), it has a base AC5, weighs 30lbs (rated "fairly" bulky w/ max move 90'/round) and costs 75gp. Masterwork chain would weigh @20-25% less, so call it weight of 25lbs (still considered "fairly bulky", so no change to movement rate 90'/Rd.) and cost between 150-225gp. It would also save on 5 (instead of 6) for Crushing Blow, a 1 (instead of 2) for Normal Blow & Falling.

Masterwork weapons follow pretty much the same aspect/regard as armor with the above, although there is no difference in weight and damage. In some of my low-magic games/campaign worlds, I've had masterwork weapons rated as +1 to hit/damage non-magical, so there would be a noticeable benefit in melee but you'd still need a magical weapon to hit a creature that could only be struck by magical weapons. Fwiw here, almost all masterwork weapons in this campaign will have been imbued with silver, so can hit & cause damage to certain creatures only affected by silver weapons.

Note: I realize that I never put an entry in for masterwork armour & weapons in the Rules & Requests thread, so will do so asap!

Alethan wrote:And if Bog is using a shield, then his front AC should be 3 (actually 2 now, with a +1 shield), with his banded mail. Dang.
Indeed! 8-)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC for Nuke & party

#186 Post by Argennian »

Nuke66 wrote:ok, how about new XP awards, based on new loot, I think Lauranna has enough banked to make the gem worthwhile.
Yeah, I'm still going back through and adding all this up but let's just say that Lauranna & everyone in the party will easily have enough XP to not only complete their current training & level up but likely the next level as well, based on all the loot/magic you guys have been racking up!

More on that coming soon, and once I get that sorted, I'll put up a post in the Game Announcements & Status thread detailing where everyone's at total XP-wise.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC for Dave & party

#187 Post by Argennian »

onlyme wrote:Manoah would agree to use the gem again

(assuming he has the xp... haven't looked :) )
Manoah definitely has enough XP to level up to 4th & probably 5th! :)

I'm working on getting the last encounter he had with the native barbarian horde entered in the other forum, and assessing XP for the magic/other items he came away with. Once done, I'll send you a pm in addition to what I'll be posting in the Game Announcements & Status thread here!

Note: you can post Manoah's character sheet here in the main forum at your convenience, Dave. If you want to wait till I finish assigning XP, and/or we finish leveling up In Game, that's cool too! :geek:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: latest loot identified for party

#188 Post by Argennian »

Okay guys, still working on getting XP awards sorted and everything up to date and almost there; I'll be posting that in the Game Announcements & Status thread when completed. Started working on the next action post, and assuming Lauranna goes for it, everyone will be merging with gem to complete their current training!

Here's another list of the latest treasure just identified. As before, I'll go through and add names of PCs next to each item as you all sort out who's getting what. Nothing is set in stone yet so feel free to discuss and let me know if you have any questions!

The items book description & page number for these is in the Party Encounters: Kills, Treasure & XP thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=509#p224295

1. Karagonian masterwork chain armor
2. +1 medium metal shield (A) Bog
3. +1 Footman's mace (A) Ulrich
4. Ring of Swimming (A) ?
5. Ring of Spell Turning (A) ?
6. Amulet of Life Protection (A) (still has dead Karagonian Navy cleric's soul in it, but will be made available once emptied/formatted!)

Allowable classes
A = Any
As = Assassin
C = Cleric
D = Druid
F = Fighter
I = Illusionist
M = Magic-User
P = Paladin
R = Ranger
T = Thief

Please let me know if you have any questions!! :)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#189 Post by Nuke66 »

Alright, let's talk about the ring of spell turning. Lauranna already wears two. So, in order to use the new one she would have to give up the +1 ring of protection. So, it's a group decision. Would someone prefer one or the other?

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by tkrexx »

Emm was leaning toward the ring of swimming.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

SocraticLawyer

#191 Post by SocraticLawyer »

I'm good with the ring of swimming going to Emm and spell turning to Lauranna. If that frees up a ring of protection, I think it should go to one of our lighter-armored folks. Emm, perhaps?

What does the amulet do?
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by tkrexx »

Emm's gotten a whole bunch of stuff here recently, I'd just as soon let it go around the room once before she gets any more. I mean ya still get the + on saves, just not AC, right?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: identified loot for party

#194 Post by Argennian »

This is what we have so far:

1. Karagonian masterwork chain armor unclaimed, maybe Ulrich?
2. +1 medium metal shield (A) Bog
3. +1 Footman's mace (A) Ulrich
4. Ring of Swimming (A) Emm
5. Ring of Spell Turning (A) Lauranna
6. Amulet of Life Protection (A) (still has dead Karagonian Navy cleric's soul in it, but will be made available once emptied/formatted!)
Nuke66 wrote:alright, 2 rings, wizardry and spell turning. +1 protection up for grabs.
Also looks like Lauranna's offering up a Ring of Protection +1, in order to take/use both the Ring of Spell Turning & Ring of Wizardry. Any takers there?
tkrexx wrote:Emm's gotten a whole bunch of stuff here recently, I'd just as soon let it go around the room once before she gets any more. I mean ya still get the + on saves, just not AC, right?
Correct. The wearer of the RoP gets the + bonus to AC only when they're not wearing magical armor. Bonus to saving throws still apply.
SocraticLawyer wrote:I'm good with the ring of swimming going to Emm and spell turning to Lauranna. If that frees up a ring of protection, I think it should go to one of our lighter-armored folks. Emm, perhaps?

What does the amulet do?
( from the Encounter #19 post: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=509#p224295 )

Amulet of Life Protection (20,000gp value*)
Osric,p344,345 wrote:Amulet of Life Protection (any): The wearer of this broach is protected against attacks on his or her soul. The charm completely safeguards its wearer from possession, whether as the result of a spell or through the efforts of a demon, devil or like being. Furthermore, should the wearer be slain, his or her soul will enter the amulet and be protected for up to 1 week. If the amulet is destroyed during that time, however, the soul is destroyed along with it.
* still has the dead cleric's soul inside; Ziller & Shanny want to exploit that!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Argennian »

Apologies again for the delay, guys. Had to take up a side job opportunity last weekend to get some kind of income, since state disability is locked in a battle with my employer over them not paying out all my PTO, which needs to happen before I can be compensated for my medical leave. Going on 6+ weeks without a paycheck now and my savings is disappearing faster than Manoah's arrows! :|

~ Action post is up. Total XP & treasure distribution going up shortly in the Game Announcements & Status thread.

Note: and yes, still have ongoing pms that I need to respond to and some I'm still waiting on (but nothing game-stopping)!

A few things we'll need to do once I get the Total XP/Treasure post up is:
- roll HPs for new levels (we can do that here but please hold off doing so until I have the XP post up!)
- have everyone go through their PC character sheet to make sure they've updated Thac0, saving throws, added new weapon proficiencies, spells, etc. from their new level advancements!
- confirm who has what and make sure it's on your PC's character/battle sheet (otherwise it's not!)

Think that about covers it for now but I'll be at it all day (& this weekend!), so please let me know here or via pm if you have any questions or need any additional clarifications!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#196 Post by Alethan »

Name: Bogdan
Gender/Race: male half-orc
Class & Current Level Trained to: Fighter3 (Swordsman ; almost trained to 4th)
New Level/Title after merging: Fighter5 Swashbuckler
Current base XP accumulated: 45,653xp
Does this new XP total account for Bog's 10% bonus?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Argennian »

Okay folks, still working on pms and stuff but the latest XP/Treasure Assignment post is up here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=526&start=20#p299526

~ Please let me know if I missed or omitted anything there, good people!

So now... we can finally have you all roll HPs for new levels! :)

Bogdan: needs a d10 roll for Fighter5
Emm: needs a d8 roll for Druid5
Lauranna: needs a d4 roll for Magic-user4 and to a d6 roll for Thief5 (added together & then divided by 2)
Ulrich: need a d8 roll for Cleric5
Manoah: need to roll a d8 for Ranger5
(note: please don't forget any CON bonuses to those rolls, gentlemen! And post the links at the bottom of your PC's character sheet when able!)

Spell Casters
Both Emm & Ulrich will be able to pray for and memorize spells to fill their new spell slots (as they received more with leveling up) but things with Lauranna will be a bit different.

As a magic-user, she gets to pick a few new spells (for 3rd & 4th level m-u) and then roll for her 65% chance to be able to know those spells. There's quite a lot involved with this and Nuke & I will get that sorted via ongoing pms.

Please let me know here or via pm if you have any questions or need additional clarifications!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:
Name: Bogdan
Gender/Race: male half-orc
Class & Current Level Trained to: Fighter3 (Swordsman ; almost trained to 4th)
New Level/Title after merging: Fighter5 Swashbuckler
Current base XP accumulated: 45,653xp
Does this new XP total account for Bog's 10% bonus?
Yes! You can go back through all the encounter threads and see each individual PC/NPC's XP assignment near the bottom of each post.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by tkrexx »

Last chance! Anyone else wants that +1 ring, speak up or Emm's gonna grab it.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#200 Post by Alethan »

tkrexx wrote:Last chance! Anyone else wants that +1 ring, speak up or Emm's gonna grab it.

Bog can use one more ring still, but Emm needs it more. She should take it.

Return to “A New Hope to the West”