On the island: About the Ship & Cove

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

On the island: About the Ship & Cove

#1 Post by Argennian »

~ Ulrich and Lauranna bid adieu to Ziller and make their way back aboard the ship after breakfast while their companions gather their gear and prepare to depart to search the northern game trail. The High elf shoves Tamber away in an act of defiance when he offers to help her up from her seat at the fire pit on the beach. She is now strong enough to stand and walk under her own power and makes it back to the ship well enough. When it comes to climbing the cargo nets to get back aboard, however, she defers to and takes advantage of the awaiting seat on the recently-deployed cargo crane. Ulrich walks the newly-constructed short dock and climbs the cargo nets with Tamber.

Once back aboard, Ulrich nods to Lauranna and heads inside the stern castle to rejoin Jovak in the captain's cabin. The young dwarf can feel his clerical capabilities flourishing and is fixated on continuing his aspiring studies and meditations with the blinded cleric/fighter lord. He can sense that Jovak has finally come to terms with the devastating injuries he suffered from his fight with the ancient demon. Only because of that, has he allowed himself to begin to heal again mentally and spiritually. The high priest of his people's holy warrior order continues to get back more and more of his previously-unshakable faith as the days progress, not to mention his divine powers.

Lauranna nods to Ulrich as he departs and takes notice that the nobleman Ziffiris has had a table and two chairs set up on the foredeck. He waves her up when he sees her and the High elf makes her way over to find him enjoying his breakfast and the beautiful dawn unfolding around them. He motions for her to sit and that is when she notices that there is something already present in her chair. Lauranna lifts the heavy old tome with effort and sets it down on the table as she takes a seat. The old man smiles and nods at the book. "Let us continue where we left off then, elf maiden. Go ahead and look up the new spells that you are studying to learn. We'll start by covering off on the material and verbal components involved with each firstly. You are healing well and quickly, and I feel you should be able to start practicing the somatic components involved with each very soon, perhaps even today? You can then tell me which ones you would like to add to your own spell book. I should have enough magical ink and supplies to do so," he trails off with a wink.

*** Nuke: I need a d100 roll for a System Shock check for Lauranna! ***

(Note: This roll will indicate if Lauranna has recovered enough to be able to apply more concentration to her magic-user studies. She has already been receiving additional aid and ministrations from Shanny and Jennynia, so her recovery will be greatly streamlined regardless, but we'll use that roll as a gauge to measure her training progression. (She has a 10 Con, so needs to roll a 75% or lower)

OOC: Nuke: we can still handle proprietary stuff via pm, at your discretion. Stuff that occurs behind closed doors, so to speak, will still be via pm, too.

I'll continue to npc Griffo and Thalion in the background, and also Ulrich while SocraticLawyer is AFK. (Note: in regards to Ulrich, I'm going to keep his current notated spell roster.)

TOD: 8:30am of Day 2 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 14 days)

HPs/Status: Lauranna 9/9* ; Ulrich 16/16 (*recovering from incapacitation)
WIH (primary/secondary): Lauranna - dagger/SC Ulrich – mace/ SC ; Griffo – short bow/longsword (arrows fired: 0) ; Thalion – Longbow/longsword (arrows fired: 0) (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location Back on the ship: Lauranna , Ulrich , Griffo , Thalion

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: On the island: About the ship & cove

#2 Post by SocraticLawyer »

OOC:I'm back
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Argennian »

~ The crew go about their respective duties with great fervor and dedication, like a colony of ants that just had their anthill kicked over, determined to rebuild at all costs and against any and all odds.

Billings and Ziller go about supervising their respective work crews. The captain has his crew concentrated on making an inch by inch assessment of the ship's hull and rudder as they build up the sandy bottom to better situate the ship for service during the next low tide. The damage done by the giant squid attack was far more extensive then previously known, and it appears that the rudder must be replaced and the controls completely rebuilt and reworked. The halfling commander has his crew working on further setting up the new beach headquarters and adding additional camouflage to both the ship and surrounding cover. Palm leaves are dispersed over the rear of the stern castle and upper hull and some are hauled up to the crow's nest and attached to make it look like naught but a massive palm tree. Flora and undergrowth all about the immediate area are pulled and gathered to be dispersed about the entrance of the cove, in order to provide cover for those that will be hauling and dumping more sand along the entrance to better isolate the ship against the coming tide. Blic returns to his new palm tree lookout up in the crow's nest after a hearty island breakfast and Zimba takes a few men with him to head out for a further reconnoiter of the trail leading south away from the beach. Both Griffo and Thalion have decided to help out with the watch and guard rotations and work with Billing's men between their shifts.

Hazara's golden rays break over the Seahawk and surrounding island cove through the scattered high clouds above. Lauranna feels reinvigorated from the wonderful breakfast and the familiarity of having solid ground under her feet once again. It would seem that her both her strength and endurance is returning much faster than it should ordinarily, and she realizes that it is due Shanny and Jennynia's additional ministrations as much as her inbred High elf resolve. The venerable Ziffiris is also looking better and getting stronger by the day, and is as eager to tutor his new pupil as she is to learn. He produces the material components for her newly learned spells and says that if she's well enough and feeling up to it, they ought to begin with her practicing to cast them as soon as possible. He again asks her which two of the new spells she's learned that she would like scribed into her traveling spell book. "I say there, elf maiden. It seems to me that you must have considered the possibility of finding yourself a mage's familiar at some time previous. What do you think about that now? You are healing well and should be strong enough on the morrow to be able to cast the spell, if you wish to of course. A familiar can be very helpful to a user of magics and it would grant a boon to your vitality. But a familiar must also be looked after and protected, as it's death and demise would mean a permanent loss to your vitality in contrast. What do you think about that, hmm?"

Ulrich joins Jovak in the captain's quarters just as he is settling in for his morning meditations. The former leader of the highly revered Obsidian Order and famous general of the Allied Alliance during the Great War holds his holy symbol in both his meaty fists. He has a relative look of calm to his normally troubled visage and appears to have made some progress in coming to terms with his situation. He opens his eyelids to reveal his solid white ocular orbs and looks blindly towards his fellow dwarf and clerical disciple. "Ulrich, you have decided not to go on the scouting mission with the others. Why is this? I thought you would have taken the opportunity to get away from the ship and stretch your legs, as it were. I know that you are interested in completing your studies but I hope that you do stay behind out of concern for me in any way?"

OOC: ok guys, I'm hoping that you both won't mind a bit of role-playing here as the others are on their scouting reconnoiter, as it would help to fill in the time and keep things from getting stalled while the others are adventuring on the island. We'll consider that the time spent behind here at the ship and immediate area will directly apply to your training regiment and get you to formally reach third level that much quicker.

Nuke: pm sent regarding Lauranna's new spells learned at 2nd level. Lauranna passed her system shock roll for Day 1 on the island and so will be considered as recovering well enough to undertake the physical and mental requirements needed to be able to cast spells this day. She is still healing from her incapacitation and will need to make a daily d100 roll vs System Shock until Day 3. This will also be a required roll of she attempts to undertake any strenuous activities in addition. After that, she will be good to go with a few minor caveats until 1 full week is achieved. Go ahead and detail here what spells you'd like Ziffiris to transcribe, as well as which spell she would like to keep memorized and at the ready when not training.

SL: Ulrich has the option to undertake other duties or work at times when Jovak needs to rest or undertake personal prayers and meditations. He can help work on the ship or supplement watch and guard rotations with Griffo, Thalion and the others, if so desired. Otherwise, we'll consider him to be praying, meditating and/or studying on his own at those times. At current rate and pacing, he should formally reach 3rd level cleric easily sometime within the week.

Note: I'll continue to npc Griffo and Thalion in the background.

TOD: 8:45am of Day 2 on island

HPs/Status: Lauranna 9/9* ; Ulrich 16/16 (*functional but still recovering from incapacitation)
WIH (primary/secondary): Lauranna - dagger/SC Ulrich – mace/ SC ; Griffo – short bow/longsword (arrows fired: 0) ; Thalion – Longbow/longsword (arrows fired: 0) (SC = spell component/spell to cast)

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:Ulrich joins Jovak in the captain's quarters just as he is settling in for his morning meditations. The former leader of the highly revered Obsidian Order and famous general of the Allied Alliance during the Great War holds his holy symbol in both his meaty fists. He has a relative look of calm to his normally troubled visage and appears to have made some progress in coming to terms with his situation. He opens his eyelids to reveal his solid white ocular orbs and looks blindly towards his fellow dwarf and clerical disciple. "Ulrich, you have decided not to go on the scouting mission with the others. Why is this? I thought you would have taken the opportunity to get away from the ship and stretch your legs, as it were. I know that you are interested in completing your studies but I hope that you do stay behind out of concern for me in any way?"

SL: Ulrich has the option to undertake other duties or work at times when Jovak needs to rest or undertake personal prayers and meditations. He can help work on the ship or supplement watch and guard rotations with Griffo, Thalion and the others, if so desired. Otherwise, we'll consider him to be praying, meditating and/or studying on his own at those times. At current rate and pacing, he should formally reach 3rd level cleric easily sometime within the week.
"Let us say instead that I was concerned for both of us, my lord, says Ulrich. "I know that I have much to learn, and the Dwarf-Father would not esteem me highly if I left so wise an instructor behind while I cut through weeds in an overland jungle. I do indeed wish to stretch my legs, as it were, but I also wish to continue my studies."

OOC: Mitch, I'm not sure I understand what Ulrich's options are here. His primary concern is to study/train with Jovak, helping Jovak's health when possible. If he can help out on the ship or with watch/guard rotations without interfering with his primary concern, he'll do that.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ulrich with Lord Jovak on the ship

#6 Post by Argennian »

SocraticLawyer wrote:"Let us say instead that I was concerned for both of us, my lord, says Ulrich. "I know that I have much to learn, and the Dwarf-Father would not esteem me highly if I left so wise an instructor behind while I cut through weeds in an overland jungle. I do indeed wish to stretch my legs, as it were, but I also wish to continue my studies."
Jovak shrugs indifferently and indicates a posture of acquiescence to the young cleric's proffering. "As you wish then, Ulrich. Make yourself comfortable, then. You have impressed me with your wisdom and your resolve, and do your people and station proud. In the bleak seasons since the end of the Great War, I have sadly witnessed little enough of such virtues, among even our fellow kin, and of course of those that were our former allies," he trails off, a faraway and sad look pasted painfully upon his blind visage.

After a few moments of inward reflection, he snaps out of his sudden funk and looks back towards his new pupil. He loosens his previously tight grip on his holy symbol and takes another deep breath, relaxing visibly. "I know that our lives were forever changed that fateful night back on that coastal trail. I have been loathe to even speak of it before now, due my denial and fool pride. I not only lost my sight and suffered the grievous loss of mighty Morkaldaddin's powers, but I also lost sight of my faith, for a time. It seems so strange to even speak of it but there it is, lad. That demon I battled was very old, from a time long forgotten and barely even spoke of in the old legends. It was certainly the strongest and most powerful evil that I had ever faced in my many days and battles. That it took both Lord Garavin and the archmage Lathalamas, as well as my most trusted Hatmarin captains was a crushing blow and more of a loss and defeat than I could bear. Those men were some of my greatest friends and most trusted brothers. We had cheated death and fate more times than I can remember to count during the war. It seems both impossible and incredulous even now that they are gone. The loss of ones family and friends is the worst and most grievous injury a man can be made to suffer," he trails off, looking over to his young kinsman with a seldom seen look of vulnerability.

"I wonder what you think of our current plight, Ulrich. How you feel about The Hands and our fight against the malevolent crown of the humans. I know that your cousin fought hard and did not perish back on that trail, but he chose not to accompany us. Why was that? I never asked why he departed," he states, looking to you expectedly.

SocraticLawyer wrote:OOC: Mitch, I'm not sure I understand what Ulrich's options are here. His primary concern is to study/train with Jovak, helping Jovak's health when possible. If he can help out on the ship or with watch/guard rotations without interfering with his primary concern, he'll do that.
OOC: Yeah, I was simply notating that even though Ulrich's primary focus presently is to complete his training to 3rd level, as well as offer any and all support he can to Jovak, there will be times when the general needs to sleep, rest, meditate and pray on his own, deal with Ziller and some of the others in private, etc., etc. I was merely querying as to what Ulrich would wish to do during those times. Since you already notated that above, that gives me what I need to keep things moving along here! :)

TOD: 8:45am of Day 2 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 14 days)

HPs/Status: Lauranna 9/9* ; Ulrich 16/16 (*recovering from incapacitation)

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Ulrich with Lord Jovak on the ship

#7 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:"I wonder what you think of our current plight, Ulrich. How you feel about The Hands and our fight against the malevolent crown of the humans. I know that your cousin fought hard and did not perish back on that trail, but he chose not to accompany us. Why was that? I never asked why he departed," he states, looking to you expectedly.

OOC: Yeah, I was simply notating that even though Ulrich's primary focus presently is to complete his training to 3rd level, as well as offer any and all support he can to Jovak, there will be times when the general needs to sleep, rest, meditate and pray on his own, deal with Ziller and some of the others in private, etc., etc. I was merely querying as to what Ulrich would wish to do during those times. Since you already notated that above, that gives me what I need to keep things moving along here! :)
Ulrich ponders the question carefully before answering, stroking his beard absent-mindedly. "My cousin..." he says, staring off at nothing in particular. "He is a true servant of Moradin. We fought together, years ago. Our faith in the Dwarf-Father and in each other saved our hides on more occasions than I can remember. Many were the times when the Dwarf-Father would give us a sign, a warning, an omen, something...". Ulrich trails off for a moment, lost in memory. "Oftentimes it wasn't much. Just a stray thought here and there. 'Perhaps you ought to double-check your mail one last time for chinks,' or 'check on your cousin's new shield straps before the battle,' things like that. Common enough thoughts for any soldier as he prepares to take the field." Ulrich pauses briefly. "It was the timing, always the timing...." he trails off again before resuming.

"You ask why Hartnid chose not to accompany us. I know it not. I know only that Moradin gave him some sign, some divine hint that his place remained there. We've come to trust such messages from the Dwarf-Father. Perhaps Hartnid's role will be to help the Hands in more discreet ways. In any event, I remain the Dwarf-Father's servant. If I can serve Him and the cause of Justice by opposing this tyrant human king, then I shall do so."

OOC1: sounds good!
OOC2: in the above conversation, Ulrich speaks only in Dwarven.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Argennian »

~ The blinded dwarf lord listens intently, nodding his head slowly and subconsciously caressing the silver holy symbol of his former order. He seems satisfied enough with the adept's straightforward answer and declaration. "It is well then. We will indeed serve the Dwarf-Father and do what we must to see that justice be done. On that you have my word. May He also watch over and guide your cousin's path," he offers solemnly as he leans back in his chair and lets the holy medallion of two crossed battle axes rest again on his huge barrel chest.

"Your faith is strong and your will resolute, Ulrich. For this I salute and honor you. Your training has been progressing well and you'll achieve the third level of power very soon. I am honored to be the one to assist you on this path. You will have access to new spells and divine powers as a priest. May you use them as you see fit to support yourself and your comrades. Do honor to the Dwarf-Father and your station above all," he instructs endearingly, lifting a massive, muscled arm in a sweeping motion to indicate the implication and grandeur of his meaning.

He then takes another deep breath and considers his younger kinsman before continuing. "The others that came on board with you appear willing to accept The Hands, and our struggle as well. They have weathered these last few weeks of events as well as could be hoped at any rate. Moradin and Clanggedin both know they have been eventful ones! I wish that I could see them and look into their eyes with my own, but I cannot. Besides, Ziller has personally vouched for each of them and that is good enough for me. As it should be for you, Ulrich," he explains, the seriousness returning in his tone. "The good commander might not be a dwarf like us but he is as brave, courageous and resilient as any I've ever known. His word and honor are beyond reproach and I hope you will come to trust his judgement as you might mine in time. You know, it is his hope that you will work with and support the others that came on board with us. You have spent time and already shared battle with these men and women. Tell me, Ulrich, what is your impression of them? If they serve our cause and hold themselves honorably, could you consider them brothers in arms or even friends eventually in time?"

OOC: great role-play there, SL! I promise we'll get to mixing in that training as well. :)

Nuke: Still hoping for a PM response and post response for Lauranna here. I'm happy to move things forward without the role-play stuff, if'n that's how you want to handle it. All good, just let me know when you can.

TOD: 9:00am of Day 2 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 14 days)

HPs/Status: Lauranna 9/9* ; Ulrich 16/16 (*almost recovered from incapacitation)

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:He then takes another deep breath and considers his younger kinsman before continuing. "The others that came on board with you appear willing to accept The Hands, and our struggle as well. They have weathered these last few weeks of events as well as could be hoped at any rate. Moradin and Clanggedin both know they have been eventful ones! I wish that I could see them and look into their eyes with my own, but I cannot. Besides, Ziller has personally vouched for each of them and that is good enough for me. As it should be for you, Ulrich," he explains, the seriousness returning in his tone. "The good commander might not be a dwarf like us but he is as brave, courageous and resilient as any I've ever known. His word and honor are beyond reproach and I hope you will come to trust his judgement as you might mine in time. You know, it is his hope that you will work with and support the others that came on board with us. You have spent time and already shared battle with these men and women. Tell me, Ulrich, what is your impression of them? If they serve our cause and hold themselves honorably, could you consider them brothers in arms or even friends eventually in time?"

Ulrich
nods. "Indeed, none may question the valor of my new companions. All have fought bravely. I am proud to have served in battle with them all." Ulrich pauses for a moment before continuing. "They have all acted honorably thus far, on and off the field of battle. So long as they act with honor, and so long as Moradin grants me the wisdom to act honorably as well, we shall be as friends."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Jovak asks Ulrich to accompany him on a hike

#10 Post by Argennian »

~ Jovak smiles and lets out a previously unregistered held breath. "That is well and honorable of you, my young kinsman," he offers, nodding blindly but in an obviously approving manner towards Ulrich. "Tis sad enough that many of our kind, as well as those of the other races, are as racist and xenophobic as they be. Duty, honor and service to one's people, station and brothers in arms crosses any and all racial lines and boundaries. At least that is how I see it as being so."

The cleric/fighter lord takes a deep breath as he perks up his ears to take in the continued sounds of the crew humming about the Seahawk like a colony of ants outside. Coming to a mental conclusion of sorts, he stands up and walks his way over to his chest by the captain's bed, using his hands out in front of him like bumpers due his lack of sight. He reaches down and grabs up his masterwork battle axe, the sliver wand he wielded earlier and a cloth satchel with a strap. He hangs the axe to his left side on a belt loop, sticks the wand in the other side of his belt in a way that he can get to it quickly if need be, and slings the satchel around his thick, corded neck and broad, muscular shoulders. "I have spent about as much time stuck in this cabin of this tub as I can rightly stand, Ulrich. What say we check in with the good commander down on the beach and take us a little hike? I need the fresh air and to stretch me bloody legs before they begin to seize up from lack of use, by Clanggedin's Beard! Besides, it would be nice for us to continue or prayers and meditations while sitting upon the warm sands and without the racket of Billings and his men as they effect their repairs upon the ship. That sound good to you, Adept?" he queries with a broad, toothy grin.

OOC: okay then SL, we'll continue with Jovak and Ulrich going to speak with Ziller and then embarking for a quick little morning hike before lunch. Got a PM response from Nuke for Lauranna so will hopefully be seeing a post in the near future! :)

TOD: 9:00am of Day 2 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 14 days)

HPs/Status: Lauranna 9/9* ; Ulrich 16/16 (*almost recovered from incapacitation)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna pauses to think a while. "Master Ziffiris, I need some more time I think. This journey has been quite unsettling, it will be nice to find a place to call home for a bit."

She begins to work toward scribing her new spells, collecting the necessary materials, but not yet beginning the task.

"Perhaps a walk will do me good."

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Jovak asks Ulrich to accompany him on a hike

#12 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:The cleric/fighter lord takes a deep breath as he perks up his ears to take in the continued sounds of the crew humming about the Seahawk like a colony of ants outside. Coming to a mental conclusion of sorts, he stands up and walks his way over to his chest by the captain's bed, using his hands out in front of him like bumpers due his lack of sight. He reaches down and grabs up his masterwork battle axe, the sliver wand he wielded earlier and a cloth satchel with a strap. He hangs the axe to his left side on a belt loop, sticks the wand in the other side of his belt in a way that he can get to it quickly if need be, and slings the satchel around his thick, corded neck and broad, muscular shoulders. "I have spent about as much time stuck in this cabin of this tub as I can rightly stand, Ulrich. What say we check in with the good commander down on the beach and take us a little hike? I need the fresh air and to stretch me bloody legs before they begin to seize up from lack of use, by Clanggedin's Beard! Besides, it would be nice for us to continue or prayers and meditations while sitting upon the warm sands and without the racket of Billings and his men as they effect their repairs upon the ship. That sound good to you, Adept?" he queries with a broad, toothy grin.
Ulrich smiles. "Indeed! Let us be off."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ulrich & Lauranna: going on walk with Jovak

#13 Post by Argennian »

Nuke66 wrote:Lauranna pauses to think a while. "Master Ziffiris, I need some more time I think. This journey has been quite unsettling, it will be nice to find a place to call home for a bit."

She begins to work toward scribing her new spells, collecting the necessary materials, but not yet beginning the task.

"Perhaps a walk will do me good."
~ Ziffiris assesses Lauranna anew as he nods his understanding, perhaps now more aware that her current situational status remains uncertain on the subject of such details. "I understand, and forgive me for being so pushy as it were, elf maiden. I find that even at my venerable age, I can still be most juvenile in my considerations. We will be here for awhile yet and there will be plenty of time to manage that other stuff. Relax and take your time, Lauranna. As much as you need. Go back ashore, if'n you wish to do so. Enjoy this wonderful place and being off the ocean. I, for one, will welcome my sleep as unmolested by the waves of the open seas. And her many dangerous denizens within!"

A few moments later, Jovak and Ulrich emerge from the stern castle. The blinded dwarf lord has his masterwork battle axe, his slim silver wand and a light cloth satchel on his person, and appears ready and rearing to head out somewhere. Lauranna and Ulrich's eyes meet for a quick moment and the dwarf smiles, making a nodding motion with his head to indicate that they're leaving the ship and going ashore. The manner of his nod indicates perhaps something more than just hanging out and around the new beach HQ. The High elf raises her eyebrow, immediately intrigued at the apparent opportunity, and needs no further encouragement. She takes a deep breath to steel her nerves and gauge her constitution as she gets to her feet. Although she is still recovering, she displays no indication of pain or strain upon her visage. With a smile and wave of the hand from her elderly trainer behind her that she doesn't even notice, Lauranna departs their table and down to the main deck to join the two departing dwarves. Jovak senses her approach and proximity before Ulrich greets her with the verbal invitation to come along.

Although Jovak is blind, the crew give him wide berth as they move about, and they bend to their respective tasks even harder, as if he wasn't. He makes his way to the starboard rail and takes a deep breath of the fresh morning sea air before proceeding to slide over and down the cargo nets with a manner of purpose. Billings is at the newly-constructed dock below, with Arak and a few men as they consider the ship and repair measures, and glances nervously at the descending dwarf. He waves his men off and steps up, clearing his throat with the obvious intent on querying Jovak to his needs. "Ahem, good morning, sir!"
The general might be blind but appears to sense his nervousness and intentions all the same. He makes an exaggerated wave off motion before a businesslike nod. "Carry on then, captain!"
"Yessir!" Billings responds with a crisp salute and steps out of the way, not surprised or wishing to offer challenge.
Jovak looks back towards Ulrich and Lauranna as he starts forward and smirks slightly. They have the feeling that if he had eyes and eyelids left under his bandages, he would have winked at them.

He leads them off the dock and over towards the pavilion tent where Ziller has set up their beachhead command. The halfling sees his approach and demeanor, as well as his weapons and gear, and cannot hide the frown of realization quickly enough from being noticed. He steps over to speak to Jovak, looking all the time at Ulrich and Lauranna. "Good morning, sir."
"Ah, that it is indeed, commander! Much too good to be cooped up on that ship. I will be taking a little stroll with Adept Rachstaad and the High elf maiden of yours. There is far too much going on in and about the boat for anyone to relax and meditate," he offers, his hands on his hips in a posture of iron dwarven resolve.
Although Ziller's frown shows itself for another moment, he seems he would dare not reveal it or any idea to the contrary at present. "Very good, sir," he acquiesces, putting his own hands on his hips and smiling with futility. "There is a game trail that leads away from the beach here to the southeast. Past the small fresh water pool and brook a few hundred paces, there are two nice beaches and a small lagoon. There be quiet and privacy enough for you there, sir. If I may offer..."
Jovak laughs heartily and slaps the halfling on his shoulder, almost toppling him like a bowling pin. "You will send men to keep an eye on us whether I agree to it or not, you scoundrel! Just tell them to maintain their distance and all will be well enough."
Ziller winces from the contact with the dwarf's powerful palm on his shoulder but lets a smile of his own slip. "Yessir. I shall be clear with them about that. Very good then, sir," he retorts dutifully, saluting with one hand and indicating the southern trailhead where Zimba and Hammal stand guard watching with the other.
"Thank you, commander!" Jovak responds heartily. Satisfied that all is well in hand, he then turns to Ulrich and Lauranna with his broad, toothy grin. "Lead on to this trail then, Ulrich. I would like to see the quiet of this lagoon for meself!"

Cutler suddenly appears from behind the tent and hands a small satchel of fresh food and a spare water skin off to Ulrich as Ziller uses some hand signals to communicate the situation to Zimba. The southerner sergeant at arms nods his understanding as the trio approach the trail head. Regardless the lack of Jovak's sight, the big man salutes Jovak crisply as he, Ulrich and Lauranna proceed past and into the brush.

OOC: Ok then fellas, please be sure that everything your character currently has with them is notated on your character sheet. SL, please add a satchel of standard rations for three (4lbs) and an extra waterskin (5lbs).

TOD: 9:15am of Day 2 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 14 days)

M.O./Location Going for a walk with Jovak: Lauranna , Ulrich ; On the beach standing guard: Griffo , Thalion

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Ulrich & Lauranna: going on walk with Jovak

#14 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Argennian wrote:Satisfied that all is well in hand, he then turns to Ulrich and Lauranna with his broad, toothy grin. "Lead on to this trail then, Ulrich. I would like to see the quiet of this lagoon for meself!"

OOC: Ok then fellas, please be sure that everything your character currently has with them is notated on your character sheet. SL, please add a satchel of standard rations for three (4lbs) and an extra waterskin (5lbs).
"Follow me, m'lord!" says Ulrich. He leads Jovak and Lauranna to the trail.

OOC: updated my char sheet. I assume the prohibition on metal armor is lifted while on land, and thus Ulrich will wear his chainmail.

DM-OOC: Nuke/SL, Go ahead and proceed here:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1690#p54464
Last edited by Argennian on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link to the Exploring the southern trail thread!

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The return of Bogdan, Caelvanna and Emm

#15 Post by Argennian »

~ The three scouts from the northern trail float around the thick flora at the shoreline and swing into the mouth to the hidden cove. Caelvanna is sitting inside the waterlogged skiff and Bogdan and Emm are hanging on the sides up near the front. As soon as they round the bend and come into sight, there's a bird call from somewhere in the cove. "Oh it's you three. Thank Dagda!" a voice calls out from the other side of the cove.

The bushes come alive in a shimmer and suddenly Gentlemen Billy is standing there at the beach on the southern side of the cove, right where it meets the treeline. He has a wand to hand but lowers it with a look of relief and a wave at the ship. "Could be trouble off the southern trail, friends. Best you get that old floating relic over here and hidden. We're running a bit lean on security, if you ask me!"

Caelvanna rows while Bog and Emm hang on the sides and kick with their feet. They float awkwardly across the opening behind the Seahawk. She is indeed very well camouflaged, palm leaves strewn on light netting all about her stern castle and floating brush tied up at the stern waterline. A quick glance up at the crow's nest, now converted into a funny looking palm tree, reveals good 'ol Blic. He waves down to you three just before you reach the beach. Billy is there to help pull you in...

OOC: Ok guys, go ahead and continue to post here and I'll bring the other group in! :)

TOD: 11:10am of Day 2 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 14 days)

HPs/Status: Bog 23/28 ; Caelvanna 25/25 ; Emm 10/10
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – none/spear ; Caelvanna – oar/bow slung (arrows fired: 0) ; Emm – none/spear/SC (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location On the southern beach of the hidden cove: Bogdan , Caelvanna , Emm
Last edited by Argennian on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TOD correction

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: On the island: About the Ship & Cove

#16 Post by Alethan »

Bog takes a few moments to tell Gentleman Billy about their excursions thus far, including taking the trail to the stream, but returning after spotting the wild boar (it was wild boar, wasn't it?) and the reptilian tracks near the water.

Then he goes into detail about the western trail. He shows him the grappling hook as he describes the find above the cave entrance. Then he gives as complete a description of the events in the cave as best he can, mentioning that some crates were left behind and that he wants to explore the crab's hiding hole further. "We should get that large crab out of there before his young start eatin' 'em. I'll volunteer to lead a crew back there to get it... Emm there suggested we offer some of it up to that owl ta keep her happy. Figured we could spare the big claw an still have plenty of meat left for a few days of food... I'd like to explore that crab's lair a bit more, if possible, as well. If we have any kind of light source that would work underwater, be it a magical sword or... One of them mages casting a spell on a rock. Sommit like that... Then I could get a better idea of what is down there. It was pretty dark and shadowy, but I swear I thought I saw a body down there with them baby crabs. Figured i could try an distract them with some bits of raw bacon or sommit and that ight give me a inute to explore, take anything of value, and get out without havin' ta kill them."

He adds the last part for Emm's benefit. He doesn't really care if the baby crabs live or die. Eventually, they'll grow up to be big crabs and that'll spell trouble for the next guy, if they're left alive...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by tkrexx »

Emm sees straight away that the trio has returned just too late to be involved with yet another conflict with the island's denizens. She hears Bog's words, and outwardly smiles at his willingness to spare the helpless young of the great crab. She hears herself offer her healing talents on whoever may need them, but her thoughts, her eyes, and her heart are all searching for young Sam.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: The return of Bogdan, Caelvanna and Emm

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Caelvanna acknowledges Blic in the crows nest, but keeps it business as usual after the brief exchange. At the warning of potential trouble by Billy, she is in a hurry to reach land and bring her bow to hand.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

All back together at the cove

#19 Post by Argennian »

~ The re-serviced waterlogged dingy reaches the beach and her sole occupant and two hangers on depart her to join Gentleman Billy.

Bogdan makes a field report to the retired master thief while water drains from his armor. Emm listens in but begins to look about the ship and cove longingly for something or someone. Caelvanna does what comes naturally for a Wild elf guerrilla fighter and gets out her bow and readies an arrow, already scanning for potential trouble.

Although he appears anxious, Billy listens intently to the details. He glances at the chest and crate in the rowboat and nods to the big half-orc when he finishes. "Very well then, Bogdan. As soon as we get some idea of what in the devil is going on with the others, we'll see to that crab of yours. Now let's pull this old rowboat further into the cove so we'll be out of sight!"

~ The newest acquisition to the fleet of The Hands is pulled around to the front of the Seahawk. Just as it's getting tied off, a procession of friends emerge from the southern treeline on the game trail, Ziller leading them along. Not far behind the halfling commander, is a fussing Jovak. The big dwarf, clothes nearly shredded and covered from head to toe in blood, is accompanied by Ulrich on one side and Billings on the other. Once he senses that he's walking back on the beach of the cove, he stops, shakes his massive arm and easily sheds the sea captain's assistance. "I might be blind but I'm not deaf and dumb, captain! I think I can take it from here, by Clangeddin's beard!" the high priest fighter lord exalts challengingly.
"Yessir! Sorry sir!" Billings decries as he quickly steps off and salutes the sightless general.
"Come along then, Acolyte Rachstaad," he says as he turns to Ulrich and tries unsuccessfully to hide a smirk. "We have interrupted meditations to re-attend once I can get me a clean shirt!"

Ziller smiles back tauntingly at Billings before turning to assess the gathered Gentleman Billy and trio of northern trail scouts with a nod of relief. "I know it is not yet noon, but I feel I need a drink. Anyone care to join me?" he queries with a wink.

OOC: Alright then! We finally have the group back together at the beach HQ. I'll be moving things forward to evening time with the next post, so please let me know if your character has any declared actions and/or intentions during those hours. Bog has declared that he wants to go back to get the dead giant crab, so if any wish to go along, please advise! :)

TOD: 11:10am of Day 2 on island (Total time since departed Karagonia: 14 days)

HPs/Status: Bog 23/28 ; Caelvanna 25/25 ; Emm 10/10 , Lauranna 9/9* ; Ulrich 16/16 ; Griffo 20/24 ; Thalion 5/12* (*almost recovered from incapacitation)
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – spear/back-up spears ; Caelvanna – bow (arrows fired: 0) ; Emm – spear/SC ; Lauranna - short sword/SC Ulrich – mace/SC ; Griffo – short bow (arrows fired: 5) ; Thalion – none (arrows fired: 0) (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location Back at the beach HQ: Bogdan , Caelvanna , Emm , Lauranna , Ulrich , Griffo , Thalion

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

Yep, that is Bog's intention.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “A New Hope to the West”