Action Thread 4: The Sprice Trident Isles!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 4: The Sprice Trident Isles!

#61 Post by dmw71 »

Lesson learned, Caelvanna does not want to fire into melee so she quickly secures her bow and switches to her blade. Attempting to approach the tail end, Caelvanna will lash out at the serpent.

Short Sword (vs. l) [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10 [1d8+1] = 7+1 = 8
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Ulrich will attack with his mace.
SS1To hit with mace [1d20] = 4

SS2 To hit with mace [1d20] = 11

Just in case that hits

Damage with mace [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

Does this count ad "game?" The big owl might get mad if we kill it....
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Also, doesnt Bog get two attacks with his spear in the first segment?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

SocraticLawyer wrote:Also, doesnt Bog get two attacks with his spear in the first segment?
By Jove, I think you're right! I keep forgetting that, truth be known. I've probably missed that additional attack a few times now.

To Hit, Spear (melee) [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8

Meh... Not like it did any good. But I'll get to start the first round with two more...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC on weapon specialization

#65 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:
SocraticLawyer wrote:Also, doesnt Bog get two attacks with his spear in the first segment?
By Jove, I think you're right! I keep forgetting that, truth be known. I've probably missed that additional attack a few times now.

To Hit, Spear (melee) [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8

Meh... Not like it did any good. But I'll get to start the first round with two more...
OOC: As a point of order here, gentlemen, a fighter-class character with weapon specialization can only be specialized in one weapon, ranged or melee, which is chosen at character creation. Below is from the Rules & Requests thread:
Weapon Specialization: We'll be going OSRIC BtB (pg13) this for single-class fighters only at game start (not including fighter sub-classes of ranger and paladin). Specialization will only be allowed for one weapon.
Al, back when we were either just out of chargen or at the beginning of the encounter on the trail, I believe you chose longsword for Bogdan to specialize in. I'm pretty sure that you were 3/2 longsword for your battle with half-goblin fighter in plate. I believe that Bog used his spear in the giant squid attack, and not his blade. I'll have to double-check though, been a long week! :)

Edit: if Bog wanted to switch weapons for Round 1, he could easily do so by dropping his spear (free action) at the end of SS2 and then drawing his sword for his attack routine in Round 1. Although the foliage is thick and somewhat more obstructing with three characters now attacking the snake, Bog would still get his 2 attacks for the round. Or at least that's how I'd rule it if he wanted to do so!
:P

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

AR: Surprise Segments 1 & 2 vs boa

#66 Post by Argennian »

~ Ulrich and Caelvanna respond rapidly to Bog's warning and quick attack and move to support him.

The dwarven cleric quickly moves up and steps around the half-orc, swinging his mace up at the surprised serpent. The attack is complicated by the thick foliage and perhaps a bit rushed, however, and he misses the mark.

Behind them, the Wild elf fluidly slings her bow and draws her sword as she moves forward to get into position. Ulrich strikes out again at the huge boa with his mace, just as Caelvanna lunges in from the other side of Bogdan with her elven short sword. Although intent in their purpose, they both miss the now recoiling serpent.

It opens it's mouth in a loud, surprised hiss of pissed and quickly assesses the suddenly appeared threat upon it's previously safe resting place!

*** Need a d6 initiative roll for the party and Declared Actions for Round 1! ***

Boa: taken 13 points damage and not happy about it! :)

Actions?

Questions?

OOC: Apols for the late update here, all. More pms going out to Emm and Lauranna shortly!

HPs/Status: Bog 28/28 ; Caelvanna 25/25 ; Ulrich 16/16
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – spear/ 2 backup spears in left hand ; Caelvanna – short sword (1 arrow fired) ; Ulrich – mace/SC (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location Middle: Bogdan , Left side: Ulrich , right side: Calevanna

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by Alethan »

Ah, you're right, Argennian. I think it was discussed and apparently I never updated my sheet. Will do so now.

Will just stick with the spear, per I don't believe he would be very effective with the sword, given the terrain...

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Initiative [1d6] = 1

Dagnabit! Sorry guys....

Ulrich will attack again with his mace.

To hit with mace [1d20] = 20

Woo hoo!
Damage with mace [1d4+1] = 4+1 = 5

W00t!

OOC: will the big owl get mad if we kill this snake? I told it I'd only attack in self-defense....

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

SocraticLawyer wrote:

OOC: will the big owl get mad if we kill this snake? I told it I'd only attack in self-defense....
I didn't. We can leave it out in the path for the owl to eat - an easy meal for him. Well even gut it, to make sure it hasn't eaten anything indigestible. :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#70 Post by dmw71 »

Caelvanna curses; clearly unhappy that the situation dictates her change in weapons, but looks to make the best of it. She patiently studies the serpent before lashing out at the coiled beast.

Short Sword (vs. l) [1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18 [1d8+1] = 1+1 = 2
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

Don't know if you need a round one official attack from me or not, Argennian.

In case you do...

To Hit, Spear (melee) [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19

Damage, Spear (L) [1d8+5] = 1+5 = 6

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

STI: Encounter with the boa: Round 1

#72 Post by Argennian »

Initiative: Round 1
Party: 1
Boa: 2

After being ambushed and harried, and suffering Bogdan's vicious spear thrust, the large serpent decides it wants no more of this dangerous business. It drops to the ground through the branches and makes an obvious attempt to slither into the undergrowth and get away.

The unlucky ambush predator does not make it far. Bog has weapon reach and with one step forward, he impales the large serpent to the sandy soil. It bites at the burly half-orc's spear and looks really mad. Caelvanna swings her ever-sharp elven steel at the chance and opens up yet another wound. The massive snake lifts it's head, hisses and bars it fangs at the Wild elf just as Ulrich finally clears the tangle of brush to the opposite side. With not a segment's delay, the refocused cleric winds up and swings his mace with all his might. He connects perfectly with the serpents head and the solid, crunching blow grants everyone instant realization that it is indeed all over. Other than each others breathing and muttered curses, all is quiet save the occasional long distance cry of a bird or monkey. Nothing but the fading sunlight appears to challenge the three island invaders.

~ You gather your bearings and begin to look about. Just past where you killed the snake, the trail you were following leads through a shallow tunnel of underbrush (about three to four feet in diameter) and into a small clearing beyond at the base of the cliff. The spot is fairly wide and tall enough to stand up in once through the low tunnel of undergrowth and dead branches. At the back of this clearing look to be about a dozen small crates and some other debris scattered about. A few crates are stacked right at the cliff base, by what appears to be the entrance of a depression or perhaps a shallow cave. It is hard to discern any more detail than that from your present location.

Actions?

Questions?

Positioning: You are currently @ 40 feet away from the trail intersection to the northwest. The small clearing in the underbrush can be accessed through a 10 foot long "tunnel" in the undergrowth @ 3'-4' in diameter. You are @ 25 feet away from the dozen or so small crates (approx 2'x2'x2' dimension-wise) and @ 30 feet from the opening at the cliff base.

TOD: There is still light but it's going quick; 30 minutes (3 turns) till sunset!

OOC: Encounter 2 is over and man, that was cool! For that Nat 20, I rolled on my little critical hit table and got x3 damage! Bam! The boa only had 8hps left when Ulrich brained it for 15 damage! :)
I'll update the encounter threads for the giant owl and boa when I (finally) get the rest of my pms finished!

WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – spear/ 2 backup spears in left hand ; Caelvanna – short sword (1 arrow fired) ; Ulrich – mace/SC (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location Middle: Bogdan , Left side: Ulrich , right side: Calevanna

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#73 Post by Alethan »

"Light's fading. Let's move quickly." Bog says after he wipes his spear point clean in the sandy soil. "We can pick up the snake after we check out those crates and bring it back to the camp. Might cook up well..."

He steps forward to examine the crates. As he walks, he occasionally glances down to see if he notes any recent footprints in the sand or soil or any sign of currently being occupied.

If not, he will examine the crates to see if they are full and how long they might have been there. Most likely, if it has been a while, there is nothing of value left in the crates outside the cave. Inside might be a different story...

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Ulrich will follow Bog and help search the crates.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Bog & Ulrich crawl into the clearing & look about...

#75 Post by Argennian »

~ After cleaning off his spear point and proffering up a fresh menu option for dinner, Bogdan gets down on his hands and knees on the trail and crawls through the tunnel of dead branches and underbrush. Other than what looks to be small animal tracks and such, he notates no footprints or signs of recent human or humanoid passage. Ulrich follows Bog through the trail tunnel as well, not having to crouch done nearly as low as the burly half-orc to fit. They both make it into the small clearing near the cliff base beyond uneventfully and get back to their feet.

Peering about the small, open area with much better clarity, Bog and Ulrich find there are 14 crates in total. Three are broken open and empty. Five more are unbroken but missing lids or sides. These are also empty save a few rotted pieces of cloth or canvas and some sand. The last four crates are stacked at the entrance of the depression in the cliff base. Those appear unopened and in much better condition than the others. All of the crates look old and weathered, and appear to have been here for quite some time.

Also in the small clearing is what looks to be some rotted pieces of a large canvas, some broken mugs and pieces of pottery, an old and rusty metal dinner plate, a rowboat oar in good condition, what could be a homemade cooking spigot and a fishing pole, and finally a few 10 to 12 foot sections of thick rope that resemble what could be a large ship's mooring or anchor line. The rope is rotted and looks to have been chewed through, and so is worthless. There are more small animal tracks and scat all about the clearing and it's obvious that most of the stuff here bouts have been chewed and nibbled on by some small creatures or varmints.

When the duo move over to check the crates that are stacked by the cliff base, they get a much better look into the depression and see that just beyond the opening is indeed a small natural cave. It is rough, about 4 to 5 feet in diameter in most places, and appears to goes back into the cliff at least 30 to 35 feet before it turns to the right and out of sight. Both Bogdan and Ulrich can smell the unmistakeable wreak of animal pee and feces and an occasional squeak of what could be a rat or maybe even a bat from within.

Actions?

Questions?

M.O./Location In the undergrowth clearing at the cliff base: Bogdan , Ulrich ; Outside the undergrowth clearing on the trail by the dead snake: Calevanna

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by Alethan »

"I smell piss and hear the squeals of rat... I suspect we'll find a lot of both inside that cave, so maybe it's better to leave the hole for now, check out the crates real fast and then head back to follow a different path."

Bog examines the four unopened crates more closely, opening them if possible.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:"I smell piss and hear the squeals of rat... I suspect we'll find a lot of both inside that cave, so maybe it's better to leave the hole for now, check out the crates real fast and then head back to follow a different path."

Bog examines the four unopened crates more closely, opening them if possible.
~ Bog is easily able to pry up the weathered top on these crates. The first one he opens has 4 small pottery urns within, with a wooden crossed divider separating them and what must have been straw packed in around them, now as residue in the bottom. The urns look to be the same kind of pottery that is broken and strewn around the small clearing. They are sealed with wax along the top at the lid but that has been greatly diminished by the outdoor island conditions.

The second and third crate are identical but in the last one, the one at the bottom, the half-orc finds what looks to be a smaller box inside wrapped up in a shiny, shimmering cloth! The object seems to be roughly have the size of the crate (which would make it approx. 1x1x1). The shimmery material is almost incandescent in the fading light...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by Alethan »

Bog cautiously pulls the shimmery cloth off the object to see what it covers.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:Bog cautiously pulls the shimmery cloth off the object to see what it covers.

Wrapped in the shimmery cloth, unbelievably, is a beautifully-ornate miniature steel chest! It does not glow like the shimmery cloth but looks thick and strong, just like a real sized one would be. It has a beefy-looking locking clasp with keyhole at the front of the lid, both of which appear covered in some kind of "sweaty" reddish substance.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by Alethan »

Bog covers the chest back up with he cloth and picks up the crate.

"We'll take the whole thing back with us..."

Then he begins making his way back through the tunnel to the intersection.

Return to “A New Hope to the West”