Action Thread 3: Westward upon the Bay of Ghosts

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Day 3: dinner with Ziller, Billings and Gentleman Billy

#42 Post by Argennian »

Day 3: On the Seahawk (TOD: 8:00pm)

~ Hazara sets herself down slowly upon the western horizon just like the evening before, shooting brilliant colors of life and hope over the deep, dark waters from the mythical west. The Seahawk continues dutifully on her course towards the grand sunset, one that looks to rival its predecessor. The captain and his halfling lookout in the crow’s nest continue dutifully scanning the horizon for any contacts. They keep it up until well after dark, searching for lights from another ship no doubt. The day crew retires when the night shift comes on. After a conference between the night crew and his officers, Billings moves down on deck to make his way inside the stern castle. Cutler and his two young helpers finally begin to get dinner set up.

You make your way to the main room of the stern castle to find a generous meal waiting. Zimba is at his post at the door to the captain’s cabin and smiles at each of you. There is another section of table and extra chairs present. Occupying the tables are the usual plates of fresh fish and small cauldrons of clam and seafood chowder, but accompanying them tonight is roasted chickens, steak filets and huge plate of shellfish, as well as some yellow-colored rice and strange steamed vegetables that smell delightful. Chilled water, elven wine, dwarven ale, two types of Shanny’s tea and a peculiar-looking carafe are all present to help wash it down. Billings and Ulrich are already seated and discussing a few things amongst themselves when you arrive. You haven’t seen the dwarven cleric in almost two days. The good captain smiles and motions for you to take a seat and help yourself. He makes his way over after you settle in and passes each person a small cup of spirits poured from the carafe. The fluid is clear with an orange tint, and is made with some kind of fruit and something called rum. It is light on the tongue but is good and strong.

Once everyone has been seated, Ziller arrives, followed through the outside door by the gnomish couple. After them comes the elder half-elf woman and the big sailor Tamber helping along a conscious but still weak-looking Gentleman Billy. Steadfast Sheba is right there at his feet, whining gently at the whole affair. They make their way over and take up the extra seats. After Billy is helped into his, Tamber departs the chamber. The gnome woman checks his condition to see how he feels and Gentleman Billy nods that he’s alight. Sheba whines argumentatively until she gets his attention. Seemingly satisfied, the gnome nods to the half-elf woman and her male counterpart and then makes her way over to the captain’s cabin to head inside. Everyone takes their seat and Ziller moves over to the new arrivals then turns to face you. “Good evening tonight, friends. We are thankfully joined by more of our comrades for the evening meal. I would formally introduce you all to them.”
The halfling indicates the male gnome first. “This is Master Najania, a longtime friend of the people and ally to the Hands. Tending to Jovak is his sister, Mistress Jennynia, a skilled nurse and healer.”
He then indicates the older half-elf woman. “This is Lady Tamara, another champion of the people and longtime friend of the Hands. She is wife to the injured half-elf Jarrel and also sister to our last dinner guest, which you will all no doubt remember,” he explains indicating the recovering half-elf, “is Master Billy, along with faithful Sheba.”
Billy smiles humbly and looks around to each of you at the table in turn. He appears much older and tired than you remember from the meadow but seems thankful enough to be awake and about.
Ziller then introduces each of you to them in return so that everyone knows each other’s name. Whilst he is doing so, Billings makes sure that everyone has a drink before calling for a toast. “To all our friends. Those that are here and those that have gone on before us. May we honor them and each other for all times.” It is a well-received but sobering toast. The proof is in the faces of every man and woman present. The captain waves his hand at the wonderful bounty in front of you. “Let us enjoy our meal and drink up then friends,” he suggests as he takes his seat. You all dig in and find the fine fare filling and the deserving drinks delightful. It is again a warm, welcoming and somewhat healing experience in its own right.

Sometime after everyone’s hunger has been properly assaulted, Ziller sets down his drink and stands up. “A fine meal, captain. My compliments to the chef,” he indicates before taking in and letting out a deep breath as he assesses each of you at the table one at a time. “Now that we are all together and have been properly introduced to each other, I would share what we know to date. The force of humanoids that attacked us back on the trail were indeed Shadow Goblins. They are a very old race and have not been seen on the world since ancient times. Leading them was a wizard and warrior duo. For lack of alternate information, they appear to be a cross between human and shadow goblin. It is a strange and disturbing development, I can assure you. We’ve never seen or even heard of anything like it. We suspect that it was this wizard that somehow summoned that ancient demon that tried to destroy us back on the trail. Were it not for the sacrifice of the archmage Lathalamas and that of Lord Garavin, knight of Pelor, we may well have all been lost. Lord Jovak almost gave his life in the battle as well and is still recovering from that encounter. Four of my most trusted friends and gifted officers also gave their lives to save us and the others. They will be dearly missed but never forgotten,” he promises with a look of both pain and resolve.
After a silent toast and brief sip of his spirits, Ziller continues. “In addition to all of that, other factors have come to light. There were also two assassins that struck our party back there. One was a young female human that attacked the party from the rear while we were under the duress of the demon and attacking shadow goblin force. She apparently has a connection back to someone high up in the Karagonian Temple. She was under orders to kill as many of us as she could. Whoever sent her either orchestrated the shadow goblin attack or at least knew about it and who did. In time, we will hopefully know more about it and get some better answers. The second assassin slew the men that were guarding the valley entrance and meadow. More than likely this was also the same individual that killed those sailors on the beach. We are not sure if this assassin was killed or got away, as we did not see or recover any other bodies. We must assume the later and that word may have gotten back that we survived the ambush. As it turns out, there was also a traitor in our midst, no doubt an agent and spy of the King’s Eyes. It was some kind of doppelganger that had somehow replaced a member of the captain’s crew. The creature’s body was also recovered and will hopefully reveal more clues to us in time. Although there are still many answers that do not yet possess, we suspect that young prince Aramis must have also been a target. As you now know, he is the only remaining, living relative of the original royal line. He is the only one that could lay rightful claim to the Karagonian throne if the current malevolent ruler were to… meet his end. That he was spared and still lives is a great asset to the Hands and the people. It is our hope that he remain hidden and well protected until the time is right. Other than those present here, and perhaps our ultimate adversaries, the people do not know him to be alive. When master Jarrel and nobleman Ziffiris are well enough, I am sure they will have more information in that regard,” Ziller details with a look to Gentleman Billy.

The old human pulls himself up, clears his throat and nods to his halfling counterpart. “I thank you, my old friend,” he offers before again looking around the table at each of you. “I am so very thankful and relieved that you have been spared our enemy’s designs, my new friends. I am sure that you have questions about the fate of your loved ones and why you were given the notes that brought you among us that fateful night not long past. In the coming days, I would hope to have time for each and every one of you in that regard. Those that were close to you picked you as ones that could be trusted in the matters of the people. That you knew not of their real connection to the Hands was by design and part of our latest tactic to infiltrate the agents of the king and their connection to the slaver guilds to the south. It is a nasty business, to say the least. Nonetheless, they have chosen to serve the people and realize that any inaction in the matter can no longer be afforded. To cling to innocence in these matters is to be blinded by ignorance and to suffer the fate of those already taken and subjugated. As I am sure that you already know, your passage west was a condition of their service,” he explains before pausing to take a drink and catch his breath before continuing. “It is our hope that you will come to the same conclusion and decision to act as they did. When we reach the western frontier, there will be many things that will need to be accomplished. Although we cannot force you into service for the people, we hope that you will offer it nonetheless. Each of you already know enough of the whole matter, even without knowledge of specific details, to be valuable to the King’s Eyes and those that control the throne. It is for that reason alone that I ask you to consider your decision. Your service to the people and your benefactors can still be accomplished in the west. If you are willing to take an oath to the people and would see the dark days of suffering and oppression finally come to an end, we would ask it of you now. I would also seek to answer any questions that I can,” he concludes, looking to each of you expectantly. Lady Tamara and the gnome Najania consider you quietly with a hope that is obvious upon their visages…

OOC: ok gang, although this subject has already been discussed in game previously, I would ask that for story and game formality purposes that you please respond IC here to Billy’s request. Once every PC still present in the game has done so, I’ll respond for those that are not and we'll move things along and proceed to finishing the conversation and evening meal and moving ahead to Day 4. Please be sure to have your character inventories updated with any weapons and equipment obtained on the ship. Casters please update your spell rosters prior to Day 4 as well.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional clarifications.

HPs/Status: Bog 16/16 ; Caelvanna* 15/15 ; Emm 7/7 ; Griffo* 15/17 ; Ulrich 13/13 ; Lauranna 6/6 ; Thalion* 9/9
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – longsword; Caelvanna – short bow (reg. arrows fired-15, silver arrows fired-6); Emm – scimitar/SC ; Griffo – longsword/shield (reg. arrows fired-15); Ulrich – staff/SC; Lauranna – short sword/SC ; Thalion – longsword/dagger (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location 1: Bog, Thalion, Griffo, Caelvanna , Emm , Lauranna (all on deck); Ulrich (in captain's quarters)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 3: Westward upon the Bay of Ghosts

#43 Post by Alethan »

Bogdan is the first to step forward. He stands before Billy, hands at his side, looking down at the elder man.

"Oi don't wager I'll ever know why me aunt was so good to me. Don't halfta, I guess." He lapses into silence, slowly sliding his lower jaw back and forth in contemplation. After a moment, he sets his jaw, as if a decision has been made.

Bog slowly drops down to one knee, tilting his head forward without losing eye contact with Gentleman Billy. "To honor me aunt, you have me oath to help the Hand in whatever way I can." He pauses for a second before adding, "Especially if it means killin' more of them shadow goblins."

He slowly draws the Masterwork Karagonian sword out of its scabbard and, resting it on the palms of his outstretched hands, holds it up to Gentleman Billy. But he turns his head to Ziller before continuing, "To honor that young sergeant Vingaris, I'll be killin' em with his sword."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by Nuke66 »

The elf maiden looks around after Bogdan finishes his oath. Seeing the other lost in thought, or perhaps mulling their decision over, she stands.

"I too, again, swear to provide service to the Hands in the interest of seeing the Rightful Prince of Karagonia on the Throne."

While still standing, she continues, "Although I would like to know more of what awaits us in the west, and what is expected of us as well."

With that, Lauranna sits down again, her turn over.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by tkrexx »

Emm listens intently to what all have said, her dark eyes alive with keen interest. When she speaks, a slight tone of anger can be percieved thru her passion, tho her pale face remains stoic. My decision has already been made. My innocent way of life has indeed been lost, thus also my ignorance. I refuse to be subjugated, and I refuse to allow any I have already sworn to protect be subjugated. My Master knew this when he sent his secret summons. He knew where my heart would lead. My talents, such as they are, are with the Good Captain. With you, Gentleman Billy. With you, Master Ziller. And with the memory of those who were lost in bringing me this far. I will follow the Hand.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by SocraticLawyer »

After a brief but uncomfortable silence, Ulrich clears his throat, burps very slightly, and rises. My life belongs to the Dwarf-Father, Moradin, he says. The Father seeks Justice, and I too will see it done. I swear my fealty to the cause of The Hands, for so long as they will have me and have Justice be their end.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Day 3: dinner with the Hands of Balance

#47 Post by Argennian »

~ Whether it be considered the official sales pitch for indoctrination into the Hands of Balance or merely an old man giving a passionate plea for help with matters of the people and universal innocence, the old master thief’s words seek to galvanize the party...

Bogdan is the first to offer his response. Although the closeness and near presence of the big and burly half-orc seems to make Billy and the others nervous at first, they eventually relax when they realize his true nature and intentions. Gentleman Billy is visibly touched by his oath and words and smiles with a watery eye. “On behalf of all our friends, past and present, I honor your oath young man. We are grateful for your service.”

Following the half-orc’s impassioned response, the High elf Lauranna is the next to stand and offer her agreements. In the ways of the long-lived and analytical elven races, she expresses a straightforward and matter-of-factly desire to get right down to business. Gentleman Billy smiles and nods knowingly. “What lies to the west, indeed! A beautiful and wild land, pure and vibrant in its very essence and untouched by the taint and politics of almost all corruptions. The mighty Gythas Mountain Range look down upon the coastal lands that surround it. The thick woods, lush meadows and lively swamps have a life to them long lost in Karagonia. We have established a foothold here, as have many others. We must work on securing ours and the people’s interest in this place. Exactly what that involves will be made apparent soon. I thank you for your oath, elf maiden.”

The Sylvan elf Thalion almost excitedly stands next. “My people were nearly destroyed when the invaders came from the east and beset the Great Wood. At least that enemy’s intentions were clear and understood. These days of late have begun to feel dark and dire, indeed. I have seen and been touched by the people’s suffering. I would fight this enemy with the same resolve that I did the eastern armies. You have my sword, my bow and my skills at your disposal then.”
Billy nods his thanks and appreciations. “Welcome then to the Hands, master elf.”

Griffo stands and nods to first Ziller and then Billy, and offers his oath next. “My kin suffered the worst during the Great War. My father and so many others gave their lives defending their homes and their simple, peaceful way of life. I have also seen the corruption of the ruling power in Karagonia. I will join the Hands as well then. I put my will, my resources, and my father’s bow in the service of the people.”
The old thief shares a quick look with Ziller before responding. “Indeed, master halfling. The people welcome and accept your service.”

Not standing up to speak her piece, as is her usual demeanor, Caelvanna chimes in next, simple and to the point as commonly resembles those of her race. “Those shadow goblins were fierce warriors. That one archer of theirs that killed the big captain with the axe almost took my life force as well. I would be interested to learn more of them and perhaps have the opportunity to inspect any of their weapons that were recovered. Nonetheless, I realize that although we survived their ambush and routed them, we lost many good people back there. We are all of us now marked by their masters. If this enemy be the King’s Eyes, then I would see them pay for that evil stroke, and for the oppression of the innocent. I pledge my bow and blade to counter this injustice and will serve the Hands how I can.”
Gentleman Billy acknowledges the Wild elf with a respectful nod. “I thank you for your service, bow-maiden. Your observations are most true. We did secure many of their weapons and such. I am sure that Lord Jovak and Master Ziller share your interest in them as well. I will leave that as such to the commander’s purview,” he offers indicating Ziller with his free and still-frail hand.

The young maiden Emm is the next to offer her words, both bold and impassioned. She makes no effort to hide her disdain for what has happened and for those responsible for it. The druid of Silvanus makes it clear and understood that she will join the fight and avenge those that have suffered and passed. The young girl and her stuffed animal companion look up at Emm with big eyes and nod their heads in agreement.
“And we are most grateful for your service as well, young lady. You inspire us with your words and your actions. I have met your master and you do him honor. We will take the next steps, as it were, to right these wrongs and throw the shackles of our enemy’s designs. We will be sure to always look out for and protect each other, our friends and charges alike,” the gentleman offers with a respectful nod to the druidess and a quick nose-wrinkling smile to the young girl as he assesses her. She smiles and continues to hold Benny up to be sure he can continue to see and hear everything that is going on.

Last but not least is the quiet and stoic dwarf cleric. Looking as if he hasn’t slept in days, Ulrich stands and comes to terms with his stomach. He makes it known that although his life’s service has and always will be to mighty Moradin, the Dwarven All-Father, he nonetheless offers himself to the Hands in consensus with the others.
Billy nods respectfully in response. “We are grateful for your presence and your service, master dwarf. We welcome you to the Hands, then. I would also offer my deepest thanks and regards for your ministrations to Lord Jovak. It is through both his and Master Ziller’s careful planning and sacrifices that we have come this far and had the successes we have had, not to mention living to tell about it. Through Moradin’s graces may you bless the general and the rest of us.”

Having run the entire table and seen all those present in overall agreement with their feelings, thoughts and allegiances, a weight seems to lift off the intense and introspective din in the air. Billy nods in genuine relief and looks to his half-elf sister. She places her hand on his and smiles emotionally, stopping a tear from escaping her eye and fleeing across her cheek. The gnome nods his head with pride and an aire of certainty that everyone’s loyalties were never in question to him at all. Billy’s eyes also tear up and he takes a deep breath. “Thank you so very much, my new and dear friends. Your benefactors’ faith was well placed and they were right to have chosen you, indeed. May we always be true to the people and each other from this day forward...” Billy’s voice is shaky with emotion and he lifts his cup in a toast. “May one hand always balance the other, friends!”

Billings lifts his cup in a unusually feverish manner. “Here, here!” he bellows in a toast. Ziller smiles and looks with pride to each and every one of you. There is a sense of both relief and resolve to his visage. His eyes seem to sparkle with the tears of new hope as you meet his faraway yet galvanized gaze. “Indeed. To the people and each other, then!” he declares as he raises his cup in salute to the newest members of the Hands of Balance!

OOC: ok all, feel free to make any conversation amongst each other or with any of the npcs present if you so wish but otherwise we'll move it forward to Day 4 and begin encapsulating each day's events per post, unless something happens that requires individual responses.

There will also be updates on the other party members and intel gained and garnered for each day as well. Nautical training with the ship's crew and martial training with Zimba will continue until Day 7. After that, specialized training for class skill sets will be sorted and the sailor training will conclude for the most part. It will be sometime in the second week of the voyage that everyone's PC will be officially leveling up.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional clarifications.

HPs/Status: Bog 16/16 ; Caelvanna* 15/15 ; Emm 7/7 ; Griffo* 15/17 ; Ulrich 13/13 ; Lauranna 6/6 ; Thalion* 9/9
WIH (primary/secondary): Bog – longsword; Caelvanna – short bow (reg. arrows fired-15, silver arrows fired-6); Emm – scimitar/SC ; Griffo – longsword/shield (reg. arrows fired-15); Ulrich – staff/SC; Lauranna – short sword/SC ; Thalion – longsword/dagger (SC = spell component/spell to cast)
M.O./Location 1: Bog, Thalion*, Griffo*, Caelvanna* , Emm , Lauranna ; Ulrich (all at dinner in the stern castle)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#49 Post by Alethan »

Nothing further to add at this moment...

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by tkrexx »

Ditto.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Day 4 - Day 7: breakfast with Ziller and Billings

#52 Post by Argennian »

~ The declarations, recognitions and toasts of those present are duly noted by all present and the remainder of the superlative meal and evening eventually winds down. The female gnome Jennynia rejoins the dinner party after checking in on and visiting with Jovak. Her brother Najania is on his third helping and they share some words in gnomish. Jennynia is not very talkative and does not appear to be too hungry either. Seeing that Gentleman Billy is still very weak and probably made more so for his efforts to make it to dinner and speak with the party, she gently pushes him to not overdo it. Billy acquiesces and soon excuses himself to be helped back below by Jennynia and his sister Tamara. Najania finishes his meal and rubs his belly and with a nod to those at the table, follows them out. After filling up his mug with tea, Billings is the next to excuse himself to see to things with the crew. Looking tired but satisfied with the evening’s meal and the party’s unanimous decision to formally join their company, Ziller eventually bids you all a good night and departs the chamber. Cutler’s two boys soon make their way back up to begin cleaning up after the dinner as each of you finish. Outside the stern castle, the night air is chilly but not unwelcome after the big meal and even bigger eventualities of the evening and it seems to help you relax and clear your head before you retire to your bunks.

Other than those same troublesome flashbacks that intermittently confront you in your slumbering dream state, the evening passes uneventfully and the morning arrives as it did before. The dawn sees mighty Hazara rising spectacularly in the east from whence you all hailed four days past and her morning light sparkles on the deep, misty waters. The wind has picked up and is indeed more chill and the weather overall appears to be changing towards its colder fall self. Shanny’s tea helps you to avert the cold and the more pronounced swaying of the Seahawk as she cuts through the now slightly larger waves. You set off to your training as you did the day previous with a new purpose. It is more challenging due the conditions and you begin to see just how much of an adjustment you have to make. Seeing the way the veteran sailors carry themselves makes this obvious. The work is hard and taxing and the sailors push you. They are demanding and scrutinize you like a sea hawk. Although they push you hard at times, they seem to know just when to back off as well. You notice the seabirds and sightings of other marine life are more diminished than they were in days previous and thicker clouds begin to gather on the western horizon. Gentleman Billy comes back up on deck with the help of Tamber and the lady Tamara to get some fresh air. He takes a seat on the cargo nets next to the young girl and her stuffed bear companion. She and Benny are both wearing sweaters that Uncle Ziller provided earlier and welcome him and faithful Sheba. Billy smiles at each of you while Sheba and the young girl meet and get acquainted.

The work and training is hard but much more rewarding than it was even yesterday. During the day’s brief times of respite, your reflection upon everything that has happened till now still seems daunting but it is now offset by a new but familiar feeling. It’s one you’ve known before but had not thought to entertain for some time. Hope. The fresh sea air revitalizes you in a strange way and seems to somehow allow a certain if unknowing sense of things. The whole current affair back home and the illusion of no better life cast by king over the people. All of the rumors, the false truths and the outright lies become undone. What the real truths are behind it all takes on a puzzling curiosity and you continue to think on it as mighty Hazara starts her daily, colorfully-rewarding and peacefully-tranquil assault upon the western horizon. The day’s events come to an end and you unwind from it all for a spell. Dinner, although far less grandiose than last night’s, is still good and a welcome luxury. Other than Billings, none join you. He reports that the weather might be getting rough but there were no ships or other contacts seen on the horizon. You retreat back to your bunks after your meal to begin your nightly routine of reading and study, rest and reflection and sleep and recuperation.

~ The dawn of day five on the Bay of Ghosts arrives with a slightly more reddish hew than the previous one. The waves have not grown but the wind has shifted and is pushing straight in from the west, forcing the Seahawk to take on a mostly northern tack. Billings looks to the west and confers with his men and the sailors share a familiar look with each other as if they understand why. The day proceeds nonetheless and hints of a possible approaching storm are whispered among the crew. The sailors go over all of safety procedures with you in earnest to make sure you understand the dangers of being on and about a ship in heavy seas and bad weather. You begin to realize that the going can get much, much rougher. Gentleman Billy, Lady Tamara and Sheba come out again for some fresh air and meet up with the young girl and Benny just as they did yesterday. The child seems to be coming around and is more relaxed as the day’s progress. She is more talkative now but mostly with Benny and Sheba. Emm is able to find out her name is Sam, perhaps short for Samantha but she won’t confirm that for sure.

The day ends in a spectacular if not a wee bit darker sunset and the wind begins to die down a bit. Dinner is again the norm but the usual filling and pleasant fare. Billings reassures you a storm is brewing and that in the next day or so, it could get choppy on the bay. He’s hoping to sail around the edge of it to the north, as that is the way the winds are pushing you at present anyway. Ziller arrives for some tea and reports that Jarrel and Ziffiris are doing much better and should be conscious soon. Inspection of the shadow goblin weapons and gear is underway and Shanny continues to use her magics on the dead to gather intelligence and what he hopes is vital information. He is saddened to report that they tried to wake up young prince Aramis again but that he is still frantic and had to be sedated. He and Billings bid you their usual good evening and retire to the captain’s cabin to speak with and update Jovak. Ulrich continues to spend most of his days in prayer and meditation with the dwarven lord as the rest of you continue with your regular training. He has taken up residence in the captain’s chambers, at Billings’ behest. You finish your meal and retire to your bunks as is usual, both tired and somewhat anticipative for the days to come. The dreams and flashbacks are not as bad on this evening though, perhaps offset by everyone’s thoughts on the upcoming weather.

~ Day six arrives with a bright red sunrise assault on the Seahawk and the Bay of Ghosts by majestic Hazara as she appears on the eastern horizon. The wind has picked up and although still pushing from the west it swirls both north and south from time to time. The western horizon watches you with heavy presence and the much darker clouds continue to gather. The safety routines stressed previously take on a sense of validity in their import as the ship begins to assail bigger and bigger waves. Gentleman Billy comes out briefly for his afternoon breath of fresh air to sit with Sam and Benny, but after watching the western horizon for a time, decides to retreat back down below deck. He and Tamara invite the young girl and faithful Benny to join them and Sheba in the hold, as the weather continues to worsen. By day’s end, the conditions are much rougher than they were that morning and the sunset speeds away with a seemingly hurried purpose over the western horizon. Dinner is the usual but with an extra big pot of Shanny’s calming tea. Billings recommends generous amounts of it to keep your dinner down and says that by early morning, they’ll be sailing into the storm and that it will get choppy. He also tells you to be sure that your gear is secured and tied off. You all head to your bunks after the evening meal and find the turbulent weather and more pronounced rocking of the ship takes some getting used to before you are able to relax enough to entertain sleep. The nightly flashbacks from the trail are less a worry in comparison to the dreamlike, curious thoughts of wondering just how much rougher it will get.

~ The coming of day seven is ushered in by the more violent and pronounced motions of the Seahawk well before Hazara deploys her daily lighted assault upon the skies of the eastern horizon. Your stomach feels woozy as it endures the deeper motions of the ship. As you lie in bed, your first thoughts are of Shanny’s tea. You eventually make you way towards the stern castle to do just that. There is a light rain outside and the low, dark clouds dominate the scene. The wind is whipping about with a purposeful intent and the sails and rigging are brought in a bit to compensate. You all eventually gather for the morning meal and Billings and Ziller join you. He makes sure that each of you get your fill of tea and are given a waterproof parka. Nautical training for the day will be up on deck only and not in the rigging. Martial training will be moved inside the stern castle and will consist more of physical exercises today than weapons training. Billings says that will take time and that you’ll need to get used to being on a ship in heavy seas.

Ziller smiles knowingly to the captain’s comment and addresses you all “You will more than likely at times feel sick and perhaps get nauseous. Do not be embarrassed or overly concerned with this. Trust me when I tell you it takes a long time to get used to. Anyone that becomes too sick or ill to continue can retire to their bunks or go and see Shanny below. How do each of you feel this morning, friends? Do you think you can continue with your training today?”

*** Everyone please roll a d20 Constitution check (with a +2 modifier) ***

~ This is an ability check (equal to Con or lower with +2 modifier) will dictate if party members can find their "sea legs" today, so to speak.There is a +2 modifier for the calming effects of Shanny's tea. Failure will indicate the character gets seasick and the number failed by will indicate the amount of turns that go by until they can reroll another Con check. You must reroll until successful and track each failed roll and the number failed by to determine how many turns you character is seasick and unable to function normally.

OOC: ok all, probably not the roll play you're hoping for but we'll need to get it out of the way nonetheless. Once you do so, I'll notate this and will be sure to explain any mechanics that will be assigned if an action is required for say if an encounter occurs.

(Please add hooded, waterproof rain parka to your inventory.)

HPs/Status: Bog 16/16 ; Caelvanna* 15/15 ; Emm 7/7 ; Griffo* 1/17 ; Ulrich 13/13 ; Lauranna 6/6 ; Thalion* 9/9
M.O./Location 1: Bog, Thalion*, Griffo*, Caelvanna* , Emm , Lauranna ; Ulrich (all at breakfast in the stern castle)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by Alethan »

Constitution Check [1d20-2] = 6-2 = 4 vs. Con 16

Bog does not seem to be affected at all by the turbulent waves and violent rocking of the ship. He moves about as easily as when the ship was gently rolling with the waves on previous days. In fact, he is quite taken with the sea faring lifestyle and could easily imagine himself staying on as a member of the crew, if he didn't have more important things he wanted to do with his life.

After ensuring his gear is properly stowed away in a sea chest, he continues going about his daily tasks and duties as if there has been no change in the weather (excepting, of course, that he takes the necessary precautions against the rough weather when topside).

OOC: As an aside, I've been out on big and small (like outboard motor small) boats during both smooth and rough waters. I've never had a problem getting my sea legs or with getting nauseated during rough weather. Funny enough, the one time I DID get sea sick was when I took a brief cruise from Florida to the Bahamas one spring break. The almost imperceptible side-to-side motion of the huge cruise liner left me sick as a dog for the entire 3 hour cruise each direction.

Someone later told me it might have just been that path the cruise liner took, because it is going against the natural ocean currents through that section of ocean and that I shouldn't discount travel on all cruise liners because of that experience. Whatever. It sucked.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by tkrexx »

[1d20] = 10 -2 = 8 vs 14 CON
Emm smiles sweetly at Master Ziller, he who has been so comforting to "Sam," and so helpful and encouraging to those who now sail for the Hands. I am surprised at how well I am coping, being so used to the solid ground. It is good that I am able to learn the Earth is so much more than my woodland. The work is hard, but satesfying. She glances over at Sam. That one seems at home here. You have my gratitude, Master Ziller, for easing the horror this child has endured.

The Priestess strolls to Sam, her smile still showing. You, youngling, must be ready to go downstairs if a storm comes thru. If you don't want to be lonesome by our hammocks, find the Lady Gnome. She will be busy, so try not to disturb her, agreed? She brushes a lock of hair away from the girl's face and places a small kiss on her forehead. I must get to work now, and it will be long if we find storm, so you and Benny will have to keep yourselves busy. Just keep from the railings, and no climbing!

After securing her gear in the hold, Emm will set herself to task.

I was aboard the Kitty Hawk briefly back in the day, so I can relate with what you're saying, Alethan. On those big boats you don't notice the wavework so much, but because of that it gets to you moreso. It's quite a sight seeing everyone unconciously swaying to and fro ever so slightly to compensate.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by Nuke66 »

[1d20-2] = 2-2 = 0 CON check

Lauranna continues the days the same as she has been, with the exception of taking to wearing more clothes.

"I will continue the training, but I would be more than happy to continue the work in the rigging. A little bit of rough seas would be good experience would be good training."

She tries on the parka and enjoys the warmth is provides.

Taking a moment to properly stow her gear, she emerges to take on the day.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by SocraticLawyer »

How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Day 7: at dinner with Ziller on still-rough seas

#57 Post by Argennian »

Day 7: On the Seahawk (TOD: 8:00pm)

Calevanna: Con check (+2 modifier) [1d20-2] = 7-2 = 5 vs 10

Thalion: Con check (+2 modifier) [1d20-2] = 8-2 = 6 vs 10

Griffo: Con check (+2 modifier) [1d20-2] = 20-2 = 18 vs 15

~ Surprisingly, the only member of the party to really suffer any ill effects of the rocking ship is the normally-stout halfling archer Griffo. He turns pale with a ting of green as the remaining party members announce one at a time that they’re all okay and will remain on active status. Recognizing the look, Billings helps him outside to get some fresh air and alleviate his stomach’s consternations.

Ziller smiles as he assesses each of you, obviously surprised with your constitutions. “I am pleased that you have taken to things so quickly while aboard. Those going outside, have another drink of tea. The storm could get worse but with any luck we will sail through the northern edge by late tonight or early tomorrow. Be careful when out on deck, friends. Follow all safety precautions as laid out by the captain and his crew. If things get really bumpy and you start to feel sick, just say so. No safe or sane reason for trying to push past what you can handle and again, there is no shame to be taken in any case.”
The halfling fills up his mug with more tea and then moves over to where Emm and the young child are sitting. He smiles at Emm before leaning down to speak to the young child and her stuffed bear. “Sam, would you and Benny be willing to stay with Sheba and Billy down below today? Sheba doesn’t like the storm and could sure use some friends about now!”

The young girl smiles and both her and Benny shake their heads in unison to the suggestion. “Ok, we’ll stay with her,” Sam offers quietly with a glance back up to the druidess. Surprisingly enough, although she looks a bit pale, the child and her stuffed companion seem to be handling the situation well enough.
Ziller nods to each of you before escorting Sam and Benny below. Billings comes back in and gets Bogdan and Caelvanna ready to head outside. Cutler and the two young lads show up to clear off the table and when they’re finished, Zimba moves the table and chairs to the side to make room for indoor exercises with Lauranna, Thalion and Emm.

~ Even though just catching the storm by its outside, leading edge, it still throws down a heavy and powerful effect. The rain picks up in intensity and wind whips this way and that. The dark, deep waves continue to swell from time to time, sometimes as high as the deck. Mighty Hazara struggles to penetrate the thick clouds and stormy sky. Whether working on deck outside or training inside the stern castle, your stomachs are put under constant duress. But you force yourself through the first part of the morning shift and make do. You are thankful for Shanny’s tea and there are plenty of opportunities to drink it during the day. Arak mans the wheel up top and does his best to keep the Seahawk turned into the waves at just the right angle. Troc keeps a steady eye on things and a tight control over the crew, who seem to react with a practiced ease. They know exactly what to do and when and appear to take no chances. Billings does not send the halfling Blic up to his lookout for fear of him being thrown out in the heavy swells.

Lauranna, Thalion and Emm conduct their physical endurance exercises and martial training inside the main chamber room of the stern castle with Zimba. The big southerner man at arms has them work mostly on hand to eye exercises and keeping their balance. It takes real effort to maintain and keep from getting sick. For Bogdan and Caelvanna out on deck, the cold rain falls relentlessly as they go about their nautical training. It is quickly noticeable just how much tweaking and adjustments are needed in weather like this. The two fighters get teamed up with two other sailors each. Hammal and Kord are on the main with Bog while Sorel and Mila work with Caelvanna on the forward mast and rigging up on the foredeck. The rain continues to pour and the wind whistles through the deck with uncaring fortitude. The clouds remain dark and threatening and visibility continues to be compromised down to less than half normal distance.

~ It is sometime near the end of the first shift, perhaps just after midday when a hail sounds out on the stern castle. “Port side, ho!”
Those on deck look left and to their surprise, see another ship suddenly appear atop a large wave no more than two miles out! Billings begins fumbling around in the seaman’s chest by the base of the wheel for his looking tube while the crew all stop and fix their stares upon the contact, straining their eyes to see what it could be. From what you can make of it across the rough sea, it appears to be a ship with a single mast and possibly pointed in a somewhat opposite direction. Billings finally retrieves his easterner instrument and trains it on the other ship as Arak turns the wheel to starboard to try and head away from it or at least lower the ship's profile.

After another few sets of tall waves the deep valleys between them, the captain calls out from the back rail of the stern castle. “Can’t tell if they’ve seen us or not. She’s a Karagonian merchant cog alright, mayhap 80 foot long. She’s not carrying much of a cargo by the way she runs and heels. She’s appears to be heading southeast and getting beat up pretty well enough in the process. Funny that she’d be this far north and be taking such a course though…” he trails off as he continues to watch intently. Arak the half-easterner first officer keeps the Seahawk pointed away from the merchant vessel, taking more of a northeastern tack which makes her roll and heel awkwardly over some of the larger waves on her new course. The wind wails and the rain continues to pour down while time passes. Billings and the crew continue to watch the contact get further and further away over the dark waves. It eventually falls out of view and within minutes, Arak turns the ship back to the port to take on the previous, mostly northern tack.

~ The groups split up after the shift change and word of the other vessel makes its rounds about the hip. The day progresses and no other contacts are seen. Just as Hazara starts her assault on the western horizon, the wind and rain seem to let up just a bit. The sky starts to get dark and the thick clouds do their best to hide the faraway sunset. The temperature is much colder than it was this time last night and everyone is happy to finish the day in one piece and look forward to getting warm and dry. Heavy wool peat cloaks are issued to each of you from the gear storage in the forecastle. Accompanying these are wool sweaters and a set of heavy wicked socks. The new clothing is warm and dry and a welcome addition to your onboard inventory.

Dinner arrives and is much lighter than normal. Although the rain and wind has lessened noticeably since the morning hours, the waves remain tall and constant. Many of you eat less, choosing to drink as much of Shanny’s tea as you can stand, so as not to end up like Griffo. The unfortunate halfling archer has been in his hammock below for most of the day and has decided to skip dinner all together. Ziller joins you towards the end your nightly meal and tea to discuss tomorrow’s weather report and announce what the new day's activities will hopefully yield them. “The good captain believes we will be mostly through and headed away from the storm by dawn. Although he is somewhat troubled by the ship we encountered earlier, there have been no other contacts seen since. He informs me we’ve had to take on more of a northerly course than he’d hoped, due the winds and the storm. Tomorrow we will head due west as much as we can and the winds permitting. Masters Jarrel and Ziffiris are both conscious and doing much, much better. They will hopefully be joining us for a proper dinner soon. Young prince Aramis has also been awake from time to time and continues to rest and recover from the shock of what happened back on the trail. Shanny and our ladies Jennynia and Tamara are looking after him. Perhaps he will be well enough to join us soon, too, ” he explains. He pours himself more tea and assesses each of you briefly before continuing.
“As it happens, in addition, we have missed a preplanned rendezvous with a friendly ship yesterday. She’s called the Gylan and is a small, open-water Karagonian cargo vessel containing a shipment of more friends that are headed west. They will hopefully have some additional supplies for us as well as news of what’s been happening with and around the Karagonian crown and high noble houses recently. In the event that our two ships missed each other at sea, it was then planned that we would sail to a pre-established fallback rendezvous point. That point is a series of small uninhabited islands that we hope to be approaching on the morrow. They are the outlying, remote southern sentinels of a chain of three large and three small islands called the Sprice Tridents. Those lush but foreboding islands are well known by all mariners to be inhabited by a savage tribe of natives. Not military ships, privateers nor even pirates dare to land on any of those six islands that make up the main chain. Any that have done so in the past have supposedly never been seen or heard from again. It is the good captain’s intention to stay well south of the main island chain and look for our friends near one of the small dozen or so uninhabited islands. We will have to circumvent the many reefs that occupy the area but these are well marked on the Seahawk’s charts. Hopefully they will already be there awaiting us."
"Also on the morrow, we will begin with some of the more specialized training that some of you require. According to the captain and his crew, you have all done well with your nautical training and will not need to be trained any further at this point. The specialized training that you will now undertake will continue through the next few days until completed enough to be of real use to you. I will see to each of you personally in the morning, and we’ll be sure to get that all sorted. Shanny and I have also finished identifying most of the items that we gathered from back on the trail and we will see to those in the morning after breakfast. But before we call it a night, are there any questions you have, friends?”
Ziller asks, not wanting to depart without offering himself and anything that might be needed by the party.

OOC: ok all, you can respond here is so desired but otherwise we’ll move things forward in the next few days regardless. There will be PMs going out to each and every one of you before the next main action post for Day 8, detailing things not mentioned in the main action post. I will look to get those pms completed and sent out by Thursday evening.

(please add wool peat coats, sweaters and heavy socks to your character's inventory! :) )

HPs/Status: Bog 16/16 ; Caelvanna* 15/15 ; Emm 7/7 ; Griffo** 17/17 ; Ulrich 13/13 ; Lauranna 6/6 ; Thalion* 9/9
M.O./Location 1: Bog, Thalion*, Griffo*, Caelvanna* , Emm , Lauranna ; Ulrich (all at breakfast in the stern castle)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by tkrexx »

Emm takes a long, strained look at the thick socks issued to her, wondering how they will fit inside her boots, and little Sam stifles a giggle at the expression on the Druid's face. Islands! Dare she hope to be among the green again, if only for a short time? Likely not, considering the danger of said natives, not to mention the possibility of hostile ships that might roam these waters. She will take her new gear and stow it, except the wool cloak which she will use as an extra blanket tonight. The thought of her Master's libram sets her pace quickly to her hammock, the little lass trotting along beside her.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#59 Post by Alethan »

Tired from a long day of work, followed by the anxiety of seeing another ship, and then the excitement of maybe getting a chance to stand on dry land, even if it is just a small barren island, for a brief moment, Bog has no questions or comments. He drinks his tea and eats a light meal before retiring for the night.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Nuke66 »

Lauranna has finally learned that events aboard the ship do not get rushed. As dinner winds down, she grabs a pitcher of wine before heading to her bunk. "Thank you Mister Ziller, that about says it."

Return to “A New Hope to the West”