chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#161 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Takes alotter work ter dig out this much dirt, 'specially ter do it secret-like. Yer hain't gonner do it lessen thar's a big profit t'it. But what kinna profit kin ye hex-pect from a 'alf-peppercorn town like this, up the bum of nowhere?

"As fer ther dawgs, I'd just as ruther bring 'em along. Noses is better'n eyes inna dark tunnel."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by hedgeknight »

"Good idea," Graela nods.
"A few strays now and again are a good thing," she replies with a wink to Salt Peter. "'Sides, Hennoth has been good for us, eh?"
She slaps Salt Peter on the back and descends the stairs. "Don't be gaping at my ass, elf," she adds as she descends.
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Starbeard »

With a straight face Manred replies, "I'll try not to, if you can manage to keep it out of the way."

He makes room for the others and keeps down the tunnel.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#164 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth's eyes narrow at the comment, unsure if he is the butt of a joke here, and he hides a grin at Manred's remark. Eyeing the darkness of the tunnel from where he stands up above, so what are we doing with the dogs? And I can make light if you want.

Manred and Graela have both descended into the tunnel while Travix, Salt Peter, and Hennoth still stand above in the shack with the two dogs.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#165 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Not sure how to lower a dog into a hole safely, Travix descends the ladder to join the others.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by hedgeknight »

"Keep watch up there with the dogs, Hennoth, will ya?" Graela calls up.
She looks around the tunnel, letting her eyes adjust to the darkness. "Looks well made, don't it?" she asks Manred.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#167 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth nods and moves to make sure the door to the shack is locked. He pulls a chair over to the trapdoor and sits beside it, facing the door while the dogs mill around the opening restlessly.

The rest of the party is standing on the earthen floor, some light from above in the shack and blackness in the passage heading north. From the walls seen around the ladder, this tunnel looks to have been laboriously excavated long ago.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela looks around at her companions and says, "Well, we didn't climb down here for nothin'. Might as well see where this leads, eh?"She grips her spear and begins to follow the tunnel north, slowly and cautiously.
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Starbeard »

Manred does the same, no longer in the mood for words. He takes up a position beside Graela and keeps pace with her as they move forward slowly. If they come to a corner he pauses to listen around it before turning.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#170 Post by coil23 »

The tunnel is only 4 feet wide so is too narrow to travel two abreast. Let me know your single-file marching order and I will post this in the DM log. Also, will you keep it dark or introduce illumination?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "I hain't got no magic eyes, an' don' fancy bumpin' roun' inna dark. Imma gonner light a torch. Unless ther elf an' dwarf wanner scout ahead wi'out us?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by hedgeknight »

"Go ahead and fire up a torch or lantern, Salty. Me and Manred will scout ahead a few yards so as not ta spoil our dark vision, okay? Travix, are ya alright with bringin' up tha rear?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#173 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The tunnel just goes off in the one direction, right?

Travix looks up the hole and gives Hennoth a nod, hoping that they will all be reunited soon enough. He calls up to the lad.

"Stay alert now Hennoth, and take care that you are not set upon while you guard the door. The dogs will help you if there is any trouble. We shouldn't be gone long."

With that the mage nods to the dwarf that he is ready to take up the rear now that he can see a little.

"Lets see where this thing leads then. If the man that entered the shack came down here, then we should be wary of bumping into him eventually. Keep that in mind as we advance!"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#174 Post by coil23 »

The tunnel is just one passage to the north so far. I'll give people time to read my note in OoC on a reminder of another option. If I don't hear anything back in a day then I'll assume the above plan is still intended.

Hennoth nods solemnly at Travix's instructions and proceeds to sit watch at both the door and the trapdoor opening. He listens carefully for goings on from the tunnel. The hounds, accepting they are not going to be taken along for the field trip, settle down by the young cleric.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#175 Post by coil23 »

Consensus seems to be infravision + Salt Peter's magic candle.

[1d20] = 5

Graela takes point, quietly moving down the earthen tunnel with the elf following not too far behind her. Neither dwarf nor elf see any heat signatures in the inky blackness. The only sounds are those made by the carefully trodding feet of your party.

Twenty feet further back, Salt Peter walks holding his candle given him by Silring. Its magical illumination is for the halfling's eyes only. He sees a well-excavated tunnel that would allow easy travel for human height, wide enough to allow for carried cargo as well. While the tunnel surfaces are rough, the excavation almost seems too perfect which suggests this could have been accomplished by magic and not just hard work. Close behind the halfling, the human wizard follows blindly, letting the sound of Salt Peter's steps guide him. The halfling could be almost completely silent but makes just enough sound to help guide Travix.

The dwarf's underground accumen detects a side passage without even seeing it. By feel, Graela can tell that the tunnel continues north and that this side passage to the left is cruder in construction and somewhat smaller.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by hedgeknight »

"Side passage right here," Graela whispers to Manred, pointing down the dark, narrow corridor. She waits for the others to catch up, keeping her back to the candlelight. "What do ya think? Press on and investigate this one?"
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Starbeard »

"Either way seems like a fine opportunity to get cut off and shot in the back," whispers Manred. "But the smaller dimensions of the side passage would make it more difficult for them to shoot at us. And we'll be hunched over as well, so once we are shot dead it won't hurt as much when we fall to the ground; we'll have less distance to fall. For that reason I vote we take the side passage."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Seems plenty roomy ter me. An' I reckon it be ther less used, so, aye, a better route for sneakin' along.

"Any clue as ter what ther story is wi' this fancy tunnel? Who'd dig this prettily, Graeler?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#179 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix whispers out in the darkness.

"I could stay here at this intersection and stand guard if the rest of you want to go ahead and see what you can find."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter to Travix: "If'n we're gonner do tha', I should stick by yer side, wi' me magic glim."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”