chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#141 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix feels a bit embarrassed for not seeing the elf initially. He nods at the newcomer but doesn't greet him yet, hoping for an answer from the intellectually challenged oaf before confusing him with mentioning the error of "finding" the wrong person.

"No, John-John........we most certainly did NOT make that! We just found it like this. Have you ever seen something like this in any of the other houses or buildings around here? Do you know where the underground tunnel might lead to?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#142 Post by coil23 »

John-John shakes his head, dumbfounded. Lottsa homes have cellars...but no tunnels. He scratches his head. Are you sure you didn't make it? He squints his eyes as he concentrates on the open trapdoor. My guess is.......................... it heads to the north. Once the answer is said out loud, he is certain of it and nods his head with confidence and pride. Yes, that tunnel heads north.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Starbeard »

The short elf steps forward and gives a curt nod of the head after some hesitation. It is clear that he isn't entirely sure what's going on. "The name is Manred," he says, before looking about the room cautiously and then peering down into the tunnel. His expression is stern and hardly changes as he speaks.

While peering down the entrance he asks, almost as an afterthought, "I am thirsty, but my canteen is empty. What makes the purest water to the north?" He scans the room with his eyes for anyone to answer, then sighs and adds, "I encountered gnolls lurking near a battle south of here. I don't know who was fighting. Were any of you involved?" He looks closer at the floor of the tunnel, examining it for tracks or footprints.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#144 Post by coil23 »

At the elf's question, a young man in the group squints his eyes at you. You tell me, he says softly. And who are you looking for?

Manred sees a ladder leading down to a dirt floor and a tunnel. Some timbers are visible, obviously meant to shore up the excavation. From up here you can see tracks in the earth. It looks like many feet have tramped in both directions in this tunnel.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Starbeard »

Manred produces a clump of a plant from his pack. "I believe this sphagnum moss works very well, but I don't know where to find it. I've been told there is a woman named Silring who knows, though." He deposits the moss back into his pack and taps the foot tracks with his spear.

(What can we tell about the tracks? Are they of an obvious race or size?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#146 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix looks back and forth from the giant to the elf, wondering just how much he should say out loud.

"I am called Travix. Well met master elf. We fought no gnolls, but we have encountered many other strange things out in the wild. Too many to recount, especially over this hole."

He tries to get a read off of the large mans face before suggesting the next course of action.

"John-John......would you like to go down there for a closer look?"

I am getting confused as to who is where.
Was our "little friend" that ran off Tip? And if that is the case, where is Salt Peter then?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#147 Post by coil23 »

John-John's eyes go wide at Travix's suggestion. He backs away. No, no. No tunnel for John-John. I brought you missing friend. I go now. The man turns and leaves the way he came.

Hennoth nods and relaxes with the production of the sphagnum moss. To the others he says, He's ok. Whoever sent him is a friend to Silring. To Manred, I am Hennoth and these are my friends.

Travix, Graela, and Hennoth had all gone into the small one-room home and are now gathered around the open trapdoor. The newly arrived Manred stepped forward so he is also looking down through the open trapdoor. The shaft down is not terribly long but the tunnel floor is too far away to touch with the spear point (it looks to be about 10' down to the tunnel floor). We have not heard from Salt Peter in a while. Obviously he wouldn't have enough sense to be cautious so I'll say he came into the building and is there at the opening as well.

Tip is the small friend who ran into the woods, terrified, and no one knows why. John-John was sent to go find him by Seegar and John-John returned with this short elf, Manred, convinced he had done his job as instructed.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#148 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Got it. Thanks!

Travix tells John-John to keep this little secret between him and us as he departs.

He looks to the newcomer in hopes that he would be interested in helping them discover more about this tunnel.

"Does anyone want to offer to climb down for a closer look? Perhaps one of you with the dark vision?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela is thoroughly confused (as is her player :P ) about all of the comings and goings. She eyes the newcomer suspiciously and then looks to Travix and Hennoth.
"Where did Tip go? We can't let him just run off in the middle of nowhere!"

She then turns to Manred. "And...who exactly are you? Why are you here?"
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter saunters up the street and rejoins his friends while casually swigging from a leather bombard full of weak ale. "Nearly wore me lungs ter tatters, running back 'n ferth lookin' fer that feller as scampered off. But lucky fer me, I foun' summat as ter wet ther whistle. "Ave ye espied ennythin' o' interest?"

Looking over the giant, the elf, and the hole, he concludes, "Yer bin tolerable busy, aye?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#151 Post by coil23 »

A grave nod from John-John at Travix's instruction to keep this secret. He seems to want nothing to do with any of this. The wary expression doesn't lessen at the sight of of Salt Peter. Sippin' at the devil water, he mutters and then is gone.

The group is gathered around the open trapdoor, darkness and silence down in the tunnel, wondering aloud at what is going on with the tunnel and the new arrival.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, peering into the dark: "Cain't imagine thar's nuthin' on ther other side but trouble." Finishing his beverage and tossing the bombard onto the hovel's bed, he hikes up his backpack. "So le's get unnerway."

Inclining his head towards the elf, he stage whispers to Graela, "Yer bin pickin' up strays, agin, Graeler? Is 'e in fer a bit o' rough 'n tumble?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Starbeard »

Manred almost frowns. "I grew tired of prancing around in the Southron like an elf. I didn't have the money for it. So, I cut my hair and came up this way, where things sound more interesting. I'm led to believe it's the one place in the world you can make it rich by doing good. An old friend sent me looking for Silring, saying she'd be able to find something for me to do."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter laughs. "Careful, lad. We seen a glint o' gold 'ere an' thar, but these parts 'ave a way o' turning 'onest brigands inter adventurers, pursuin' good deeds wi'out 'ope o' ree-com-pence."

Reaching up a small, nut-brown hand to Manred, he adds, "I be Freeman Petteri Kalium-Nitre, but folks is most like ter call me Salt Peter. 'Ow d'ye do?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#155 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix again holds back his reaction after listening to Freeman's odd parlance, not wanting to offend the elf or the halfling by laughing out loud. He looks to this so called Manred and asks politely.

"Elves see well in the dark, right? If you would like to join up with our jolly band, your first test can be to go down below and have a look down that tunnel. Deal?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Starbeard »

Manred the Short looks at Travix with a blank expression, then gazes back down the hole. "Well, if you're all too chicken-livered—" And with that he swings his pack off his shoulder, rifles about for his rope, and looks for something to tie it to.

"I was advised to bring a rope and a blanket; frankly, I could've been told to bring some stakes as well." Once he has found a place to tie off the rope, he drops down into the hole, hoping his spear will have enough room.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#157 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix looks shocked that his pressure tactic actually worked.

"You could have just used the ladder."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Starbeard »

Manred looks at the ladder and sighs. "They remind me too much of my uncle. He was a drunkard."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by coil23 »

The elf works around the ladder to awkwardly descend into the tunnel. Standing on the packed dirt floor of the tunnel he faces the darkness of the passage heading north. The tunnel looks 6 1/2' high and 4 ' wide, some timbers bolster the tunnel here at this end. No heat signatures can be seen in the inky blackness. A clean, earthen smell fills the still air of the tunnel and the only sounds come from up above in the shack.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#160 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix just accepts the newcomers strange behavior, glad to have another along at any rate.

"This thing seems freshly dug. Maybe that is why nobody knows its here?"

He allows the others to descend behind the elf if they like, wondering what they should do with the dogs for now.

"Maybe we can leave them here to guard our only exit. If someone comes in here, they should certainly let us know that by their barking."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”