chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#61 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth replies to Graela's question, speaking softly as he walks beside the dwarf. My mama always used to to say: the further in the wild, the further in the folk. And it is more dangerous up here. But it wasn't like this. I haven't been allowed to come up here for awhile though.

As your group reaches the main house, the old man opens the door and ushers you inside. The main floor is largely an open space with tables and chairs. The tables are a hodgepodge of shapes and quality- some heavy timber, some light pine. Many tables are round and made for a few people though near the door and near the stairs there are heavy, long tables meant for a large party.The back right corner of this area has a staircase leading up. To your left there is a double-wide doorway that is open. From the sounds and smells emanating from within, this is likely the kitchen. At a table at the back wall sit two men talking quietly and a woman knitting. They all stop and stare at your entrance. Though the woman soon returns to her knitting, the men remain silent now that you are in the room. An angry hiss and a cat streaks across the room to escape through the double doorway. The dogs, who came in with, you seem tempted to give chase but stay where they are at your sides. They came from the south, said they're here for sausages, your host announces to the room. Take a seat, the old man gestures carelessly and then makes his way the same direction as the cat.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter calls towards the kitchen, "An' sum'fin strong ter wash 'em down wi'!"

Climbing up his chair and standing on it so that he can reach the edge of the table, the little pirate inspects the room's scanty inhabitants. How do they look? What are they doing? How are they regarding the party? Are they eating sausages? Do they look delicious?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#63 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Is this a tavern with proper signage and such, or just some old mans house?

Do the others have drinks or food in front of them?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

She nods to Hennoth in silent thanks for his explanation and follows the others inside the building.

Graela finds a chair and brings the dogs around on one side, commanding them to sit. She waits to be served, giving the two men a hard stare (not a glare) until they look away.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by Mant72 »

Tip eyes the two men nervously and sits in a chair beside Graela and the hounds. He makes note of the room's doorways in case a hasty exit is needed.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by coil23 »

The three other people at the back table do not have food but the two men have mugs in front of them. At Graela's stare they quickly find somewhere else to lay their eyes and then resume their quiet muttering conversation. The woman knitting notices this exchange and a smile appears as she winks at Graela and then returns to focus on her knitting. The two men and the woman have rather crude clothing, their persons somewhat disheveled and but not dirty. Animal hides and furs are part of the men's attire.

This building may have been a trading post or pioneers' homestead in the past when it stood alone amongst the trees. Now it seems like a town hall or common area and not a tavern. The only visible exits from this room are the front door you entered, the doorway to the kitchen, and the stairs going up in the back right corner.

After a few minutes a young woman walks out from the kitchen with a tray. Avoiding eye contact, she quietly places a plate in front of each of you with sausages, some dark bread, and small, soft chunks of cheese on the side. Almost apologetically she adds, I'll be right back with drinks. An awkward curtsy and she is off to the kitchen again.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter climbs onto the table, the better to shove his face in amongst the victuals. His nostrils dilate to improbable size as he inhales deeply the aroma of the food. Smacking his lips in eager anticipation, he claws up a handful of sausage, bread, and cheese. "Le's see 'ow I look onner outside o' this, aye?"

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by Mant72 »

Tip thanks the serving girl and winks at Salty, "Let us wait no longer and partake of these fabled sausages!" He voraciously tears into one of the savory meats.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by coil23 »

The two halflings tear into their sausages with gusto. That juicy pop right as the membrane bursts and the flavors explode...these are truly delicious. And tender! As you chew you cannot recall such tender meat in sausages you've had before, something akin to veal or piglet. They go well with the coarse brown bread. The cheese you recognize as goat. The side items are simple fare but good. The sausages, however, are magnificent.

The shy woman returns with flagons of mead for each of you and a small bowl of honey. A cup of water is set before each of you as well. She looks around the table expectantly. If no further requests are mentioned then she will hurry back to the kitchen.

The old woman knitting gets up and makes her way to the front door and she walks outside. The men continue their low-toned muttered conversation. The old man who led you inside is nowhere to be seen.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

"What's ya name, dear one?" Graela asks the serving maid, as she calmly takes a sausage, slices it into three pieces, and gives a piece to each of the dogs. She doesn't eat the third piece, but does get a heel of bread and some cheese.
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter eats and drinks with his customary poise and restraint. His face his smeared from chin to eyebrows with grease and cheese, and he has sprayed the vicinity with crumbs as he joyfully talks through overstuffed mouthfuls.

"So, then, me 'earties. Whatter be ther plan? Find a bit o' shade an' sleep this meal off, an' then give ther sawserges anudder go?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#72 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix laughs loudly at Saltys idea, mostly to hide the fact that he isn't actually eating or drinking anything himself. He senses that there is something strange going on here and decides to be careful as a newcomer to town.

He cleverly pretends to eat everything on his plate, but instead hides his meal one piece at a time. Wrapping it up in napkins, he stores the food in his empty robe pockets.

He tries very hard not to let the men, woman, or serving girl see these strange actions. He just smiles and winks at the others as they dig in.

If any at his table notice, the old man nods and whispers. "Dont worry, I'll try to save ya if it's all poisoned."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter takes advantage of any hesitancy on his comrades' parts to claim more of the sausages for himself.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Magnificent!" Tip mumbles around a mouthful of the savory meat. He suddenly finds his manners and abashedly wipes the grease from his mouth with a napkin. "Please excuse me. These sausages are splendid."

He looks around greedily for another link.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by coil23 »

The serving girl nods appreciatively at the halflings' enthusiasm over the sausages. He eyes widen though at Graela's question. Clearly she was not expecting to be addressed outside of food and drink orders. My name is Tinoo, ma'am. Anything else I can get you? There is no sign that the girl notices the two members of the party are not eating their food.

The dogs wolf down their shares and stick close to Graela. It is obvious to them that the halflings will be no help whatsoever in sharing sausage. They stay beside the sure thing.

From the kitchen a male voice calls out, what's taking you, girl? You better not be dawdlin'. Meanwhile the two men get up from their table and make their way to the door and head outside, with no talking or idle glances your way.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#76 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix starts to get hungry watching the dogs and halflings devour their meat. His stomach now growling, he waits till the 2 men leave before addressing the others again.

"Well? How are they, then?"

"Now that we have found the sausage, what now? Shall we have a look around before we seek out this bone king fellow? "

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter chokes a little, and has to take a second to recover, before shooting Travix a sour look. "I'd thank ye not ter mention tha' name whilst I'm eatin'. An' I reckon as it tain't sucher fine idear ter toss it 'round in casual company, like." He looks around the mostly empty room, as if expecting foul creatures to be spying on them from the rafters.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

"Good to meet you, Tinoo. I'm Graela, and you can fetch me another ale. The first one went down way too fast."
She winks at the girl and when the voice calls out, her tone changes. "Tell yer boss if he's got a problem with your service, he can take it up with me."

As the girl leaves, she listens to Travix, slaps Salty on the back to dislodge the hunk of sausage, and then asks, "Salty, Tip > are you fellas feeling alright? My stomach is growling fierce! Those damn sausages smell so good, but I'm afraid to eat 'em. Don't know what the folks in the kitchen might have put in 'em."
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by coil23 »

The girl blushes at Graela's fierce statement and then rushes off to fetch the drink. She soon returns with the ale and more food for the table. Summoning her courage, Tinoo asks: are you travelers just coming through? Part of a caravan? Her eyes brighten a bit at the possibility in the second question.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Ohhhh, me Graeler, I feel turr'ble ill an' possessed o' strange an' unwholesome impulses. Save yerself, an' shovel yer sawserages onner my plate! An' I reckon the ale be tainted, too, so's pass me yer mug, howsabout?"

To Tinoo: "Lass, we be gennlemen o' adventery-ous spirits, travelering ther land in seek o' whatever as might catch our fancy—be it dragons as need guttering, treasures as need plundering, or sawseages as need gobblering."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”