chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#81 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Again Travix has to restrain himself from bursting out in raucous laughter at his tiny friends strangely hilarious verbiage.

"Do you not see the traders and their caravans much around these parts, young miss? Tell us what you like so much about them, my dear, and a bit about this place we have found ourselves in, if you don't mind."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by coil23 »

The girl looks askance at Salt Peter, unsure what to make of his antics. Responding to his comment, well, there isn't much around here. Though we do have good sausages. Madame Gelding's sausages are the finest around. And I'm making myself a pretty headdress of chicken feathers for the midsummer festival... Tinoo trails off and blushes as she realizes strangers are probably not interested in her costume for a local festival.

Turning to Travix but speaking more softly, we used to get caravans- especially when we became known for our sausages. But....things changed. It was decided we did not want so many strangers through here and so now specially chosen ones take our goods to other communities. The traders that visited used to have such pretty combs...and I bought a slingshot once... Her eyes cut to the kitchen and back to the mage. I'm afraid this isn't a very happy place since-

What are you doing standin' around and boring the guests?! This from an angry looking man standing in the door, glaring at the girl. We need two buckets of water. And no idle talk. Now. Without waiting for a reply he turns and disappears into the other room again. The girl's face is ablaze and she looks on the verge of tears. She rushes out the front door without another word.
Nothing to see here, move along. :?
[1d20] = 8
[1d20] = 6

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Mant72 »

Tip spares a half-smile at Salty and tells Graela, "These are the most blessed sausages I have had the pleasure to taste. You would be passing on one of the greatest pleasures in life if you fail to partake of this cuisine."

He continues to shovel the succulent links in his greedy maw.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#84 Post by OGRE MAGE »

With his lunch still packed away securely in his robe, Travix has decided that he has heard enough of the harassment. He stands, pats the dogs on the head, and moves to the doorway where the man just scolded this young girl. He opens it and walks inside to have a look, keeping it propped open so the others can still see him.

"Excuse me sir, but where we are from, it is impolite to scold and harass the hired help. Do you mind not doing it while we are trying to eat, please?"

The mage visually scours the presumed kitchen, attempting to see just what theses "special" sausages are made from.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by coil23 »

The doors to the kitchen have been open since you arrived and remain so. Your peers can see you easily in the doorway.

Travix sees a large, long kitchen that seems designed to feed many people. The righthand wall has a door that exits to behind the common house. The smells are delicious. Sausages are sizzling on a griddle and a few enormous pots are bubbling with some tasty smelling stew. To your left is an open door to a large pantry. The sour man turns to you at the sound of your approach. His eyes widen at your reproach and his hand slides over to grasp an unused skillet handle. I'll feed guests- uninvited strangers no less- but I won't take lip from anyone in how I run my kitchen. Girl shouldn't run her mouth to strangers. Now- we have a problem? His steady glare awaits your response.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter slips down from the table, cheeks still bulging with food, and heads over to give Travix some knee-level back-up.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#87 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix contemplates a quick Magic Missile, but doesn't push the issue by frying this ignorant man in his own kitchen, though, it is tempting.

"Do you think it is possible that your lack of manners and decency is the cause of the lack of business here? You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar, you know. What is the big deal about talking to us? What if we were to decide that we wanted to put down roots in your fair little town here, hmmmm? Would you still treat us as outsiders then?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter stage whispers: "Psst, Travix. Don't fry off ennything e'll need fer making more sawserages."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by coil23 »

The man stares Travix down for a long moment more and then his whole body seems to sag. His eyes go to the floor and his voice is barely above a whisper, we aren't supposed to talk to strangers. I just didn't want anything to happen to the girl. My advice is to get as far away from here as possible before sunset. His head jerks around to stare out the window on the kitchen wall as if looking for someone or something. Seemingly embarrassed, awkward, and...something else, he is all business again- though without the belligerence this time. He mumbles at you as he busies himself with the cooking again. I'll have another platter of sausages with more bread and cheese in just a moment. Honey too if you like.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Well.......Travix is most certainly stumped by these latest actions. He takes a step back out of the room and quietly addresses the others.

"Do the rest of you have any idea what is going on here? This is the most unfriendly and unwelcoming place I have ever been in. Yet, the food seems to be above such standards. I don't say this often, but I am at a total loss here."

"Do we dare ask him what happens after sundown?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

"Go ahead and ask him. And while yer at it, ask him what he uses to make his sausages. I ain't eatin' a damn one of 'em until I know! And while you're figuring that out, I'm going after Tinoo."

Graela quickly exits the place, looking for the serving girl...
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Well, I reckon they be unner ther thrall o' som'fing, aye? Som'fing as prefers night ter day." He digs around in his packet of herbs and pulls out a garlic clove and starts rubbing it on his neck. "Jus' in case."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by coil23 »

Graela quickly exits the front door in pursuit of the girl who fled.

Travix's eye catches a flash of movement in his peripheral vision. It came from the west-facing window in the kitchen.

Salt Peter vigorously rubs garlic on his neck as if prepping for the stew pot himself.

A d20 roll from Travix, please.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#94 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix's stomach continues to growl.

Random d20 [1d20] = 5

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by coil23 »

A vocal, sausage-less tummy is not enough to distract Travix from a flash of movement in his peripheral vision. As he turns back in the direction of the kitchen he just catches someone disappearing from view who seemed to have been right outside the window. That face. That face...somehow familiar. Yes, it looked suspiciously like the man from the Inn who you and Tip later followed. The cook has stepped up his activity to an intense state with a brisk tempo of checking dishes, adding seasonings, gathering supplies to be at hand.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix smiles broadly at his fat bellied friends.

"Finally some answers, perhaps? Follow my lead here if you want, whatever that means!"

With that, the mage heads for the door at full speed, glad he is not overloaded with victuals. He runs around the corner of the building, trying to catch up to this recurring stranger.

"Hey! Carl! Remember me?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, taking Travix's lead, will do his best to circle around the other direction.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by coil23 »

Graela and the serving girl, Tinoo, are walking back toward the front door of the main house when they see Travix tear out the front door and start hurrying west. Salt Peter follows on Travix's heels but turns left and passes by the pair as he seems to be heading the opposite way around the building.

Travix exits just in time to see the back of a man running between two buildings and turn right, disappearing from view.
A man disappeared between the large red and yellow buildings to the west (left) of the main house (6).

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela hands the water bucket to Tinoo. "Better hurry on back now. Seems my companions have gotten themselves into something...again!"
And with that, Graela takes off at a run, following Salty.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#100 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix isn't sure exactly what he hopes to accomplish by chasing down a stranger, but he continues his hot pursuit at full speed, hoping to catch up with the man.

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”