chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#181 Post by coil23 »

Graela and Manred scout ahead in the side tunnel while Travix and Salt Peter stand guard at the junction.

This side tunnel is definitely cruder than the original, all surfaces rougher. Once again no heat signatures register ahead of them as the two carefully make their way in the dark. This tunnel wends some, a few turns that must be negotiated in the dark. After long, tense minutes of traveling in the dark, a very faint light ahead brings some details to their eyes. The crude walls end at a dead end (about 100' since the junction) and a ladder. Above the ladder there is daylight coming through a multitude of small cracks. It looks like a sturdy trapdoor made of woven sticks with something on top for cover. Graela looks at Manred and shrugs, asking what to do next.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Starbeard »

Manred looks at the trap door with interest. Placing his weapon and backpack gently to the side, he attempts to climb the ladder as quietly and cautiously as possible. At the top he listens intently through the trap door.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#183 Post by coil23 »

The elf listens intently at the top of the ladder and hears insects, the smell of pine redolent through the woven grasses and branches of the portal.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Starbeard »

Manred examines the hinges and the latch to see if there are any wires or plates connecting them to possible traps. Then, if he finds none, he very slowly pushes the portal just enough to take a small peek through.

If there is any commotion or he sees any buildings, he will climb back down the ladder and inform Graela quietly. If all is quiet and only wilderness is observed, he will open the hatch further, take a look around, and then return to inform Graela, closing the hatch behind him.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#185 Post by coil23 »

The elf carefully examines around the edge of the portal for possible traps. Nothing of the sort is discovered. Opening the trapdoor for a peek, he sees pine trees around and above. Emerging further from the tunnel the elf looks all around and sees only trees, hears only the hushed sounds of the pine woods he had been traveling through before coming upon the village. Manred carefully replaces the trapdoor and returns to report to Graela what was seen. The dwarf considers this information, anything worth pursuing up there? We still have the main tunnel. What do you think?

Back at the tunnel junction, Salt Peter comfortably waits, bathed in the light of his candle's illumination. The shadows play across the earthen walls for the halfling's eyes only. While Travix feels the oppressive environment, standing in pitch black and almost feeling the walls close in as he considers how much earth is above him.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Starbeard »

"Only more forest. You'd probably know it better than I would," says Manred. He suggests heading back to the group, but doesn't mind waiting if Graela wants to take a peek first.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela nods. "Let us return and tell tha others what we found. Did ya see any tracks as ta whether this route was recently used?"
She listens to Manred as they return to their companions and tell them what they found.
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Starbeard »

"I didn't notice any, but then I didn't look very hard. I am new at this, you know."

Manred returns quickly to look for tracks and then heads back to the rest of the party with Graela.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#189 Post by coil23 »

Manred returns to peek out the trapdoor for any signs of tracks. None are seen though it would be difficult to tell in the pine needles and firm earth.

The dwarf and elf return back to the tunnel juncture to report their findings. The group is back together, standing in complete darkness (except for the halfing and his candle).

Actions?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#190 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix suggests searching further up the original tunnel in the same way.

"Its a little freaky down here in the darkness, but I think I am getting used to the sensation. Move on ahead, I wont be far behind if you need me."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela moves out (hopefully with Manred), keeping her spear ready as she continues down the main corridor.
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Starbeard »

Manred follows along.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#193 Post by coil23 »

The group continues down the original tunnel in the darkness, Graela's spear tip leading the way. Eventually there is light ahead, coming through a grate in the ceiling. It shines down to show another dead end with a ladder leading up to the grate. Gutteral voices can be heard through the grate speaking in a foreign tongue.

How annoying. I posted this yesterday and came back today to find it gone.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#194 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix whispers softly to the others.

"Lets turn around and pace this off heading back towards Hennoth. Then we can retrace our steps above ground to see where this leads to. No point in giving up the fact that we found this little secret unless we have to."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Starbeard »

Manred looks as though he is about to protest, then whispers, "Actually, that's not a bad idea. Graela, can you keep us oriented while we pace the tunnel back?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela nods and does her best to mentally capture this location in her mind as she leads her companions back through the tunnels.
Winter is coming...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Starbeard »

Manred suddenly stops in his tracks, and puts a finger to his lips. After a few moments of silence, he ushers the others back from the tunnel end very quietly, until he feels they are all safely out of earshot.

"I could hear voices," he explains. "Three at least, in Orcspeak. They were talking about orders to steal some kind of fragment tonight and to kill any villagers who see them, as well to kill some group of meddlers. It sounded as though these meddlers are also trying to steal something, and from the looks on your faces I'm guessing I've already met them in the middle of their quest. Anyway, I think they've left to get ready now."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by hedgeknight »

"We're not out ta steal anything!" Graela whispers fervently. "But, we are on a search. Salty or Travix can fill ya in on tha details...should ya wish ta stay on with us."
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#199 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix whispers.

"Well if they have gone off now, maybe we should just pop up there and have a quick look around? It seems that we have found the only two places this tunnel goes already. We badly need to find that fragment, maybe they will lead us right to it?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Starbeard »

Manred looks in all directions and says, "It does seem like the clearest way forward. I'll go back to the hatch and listen to see if they are still there. The rest of you probably wouldn't hear anything. I'll signal when when the coast is clear."

He does just so.

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”