chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#101 Post by coil23 »

Travix runs between the two buildings (red and yellow ones to the west of building 6) and then stops. Looking all about he sees no one. In the open area ahead some chickens had been clucking loudly and scooting around at a brisk pace but are now settling down and resuming their ground inspection.

Salt Peter, with Graela hot in pursuit, tear around the main house. They come from around the back and end back up at the front of the house, having encountered no one.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter grabs his side, huffing and red-faced. "Travix, ye blarsted barnacle! D'ye 'ave us railin' a'rounder onner wild goose chase? I be fuller sawserages, an' now I gots a stitch in me side!"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#103 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix looks around befuddled, again not sure what to make of their current situation. He looks down to his friends and questions.

"What are we actually doing here, besides eating sausage that is. Didn't we come here to find out answers to what is happening in this area? I don't like the looks or the feel of this little hamlet one bit, and I think Hennoth feels the same way. He hasn't said a word since we've arrived. I think there is more to this place than sausages, and I was trying to see if that man we recognized was behind any of it."

The mage continues to walk around and look suspiciously at his surroundings.

"We aren't going to solve the worlds mysteries sitting on our butts and gorging on cured meat products."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Pulpatoon »

OGRE MAGE wrote:"We aren't going to solve the worlds mysteries sitting on our butts and gorging on cured meat products."
Salt Peter: "'Sworth a try."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by coil23 »

A woman steps out of the red L-shaped building ahead of you, fearful but defiant. She holds a butcher's knife and looks about suspiciously before returning her gaze to your party. Who are you? Were you the ones scaring my chickens? What are you doing here?

Back behind you by some trees Hennoth is kneeling and praying fervently.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter to the knife-wielding woman: "Arr, stow yer chopper—we war ther ones as was chasin' ther one as sceered yer chickens."

He hoofs it over to Hennoth, and waits with a modicum of patience for a break in the praying: "Yer got summat on yer mind, boy? Seems ter be plenty 'round 'ere to give a body ther willies."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#107 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

"No madam, we most certainly were not. However, we were following a man that just ran through here, likely he was the culprit. Did you see him by any chance? We sure would like to have a word with him."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by coil23 »

Her sour expression doesn't soften but she offers, I don't know none o' yer faces but you seem polite enough. Aye, someone just ran by- didn't see who. She jerks her head to the left. Over there. The woman seems to be indicating some small buildings that are directly against the palisade wall just NW of the home she emerged from.

Since none of you seem like you are about to immediately attack her, she takes her eyes off the group to begin counting her chickens and mumbles quietly to herself, there's Hennie, and Wennie, Two-Pennie, Jennie, the butch one: Dennie, Fennie, Mowat.....

Hennoth looks up from his fervent praying at Salt Peter's query. There's something wrong here. It's evil and it gets inside people. I'm scared. Face flushing with embarrassment at this admission, the boy hastily gets up and comes over to the others. What do you need me to do?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela listens to the exchange between her companions and the strange woman before saying, "We are here ta help, good lady. We have heard there be some strange goings-on in this town and from the way we've been treated so far, I'd say there is a good deal of truth in that. We are going ta find whoever scared your chickens and then we're going ta try ta get ta the bottom of whatever is preying upon you good folk. If ya can help, we'd be grateful."
Winter is coming...

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter to Hennoth: "I reckon ye be right e'now, laddie. 'Ere, rub this garlic clove on yer neck, in case it's vam-pires. An' ye kin keep prayin' if'n ye reckon it'll help, but ther rest o' us oughter go foller a feller as may know a thin'r two."

Salt Peter rushes back to the others. "Did she say 'e wen' thattaway? Then le's go!"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#111 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix leads the way in the direction of the head nod, hoping the dwarf can nice talk a little more information from the old hen.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by coil23 »

The woman seems caught between suspicion and a desire to share her fear. The children have started disappearing. No one is sure what it is but some have started sacrifices and think it something foul and unnatural. And we have been more and more isolated. I don't know why they don't allow caravans anymore and they don't like us going far. They took my Sue...her voice cracks and she looks down in silence for a time. Looking back at Graela, are you a mother? Do you understand?

Travix, Salt Peter, and Hennoth approach the buildings against the palisade wall. there is a small building on the right with a shuttered window beside the door. To the left are two small connected buildings. There are no obvious signs on the ground to give a clue as to recent activity in or out of any of the three buildings. A little girl peeks her head around the back corner of the big house the woman emerged from and hisses to get your attention. She points at the right-hand building, ducks her head back around the corner and is seen no more.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter follows the woman's finger to the right-hand house.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela shakes her head at the lady. "No good lady, I am not a mother. But my heart still weeps for those who have lost their children. Ya have my vow ta find out what is happening here and put an end ta it!"

Seeing the girl, she follows Salty, spear at the ready.
Does she have the dogs with her?
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#115 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix smiles at the little girl as she departs, heading over to the right hand building as instructed and looking around intently for any clues. If there are doors or windows, the mage listens closely for any sounds coming from within.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by coil23 »

You can't tell from the ground if anyone has come in or out of the right-hand shack recently. All three shacks are silent. The one you stand before has a small shuttered window and through the slats it appears there is candle-light inside.

The dogs are with Graela but are highly distracted by the chickens and require repeated prompts to leave them alone.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter gestures for the others to keep an eye on the front, and slips around the back of the house to look for other entrances. If he finds a means by which he can surreptitiously enter, he will.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#118 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix lets Salt go around and check the back before his curiosity finally gets the best of him again. He pulls on the windows shutters to see if they will open. Failing this, he simply checks to see if the door is locked. If it opens, he cracks it a tiny bit and takes a look inside.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by coil23 »

The shack is built directly against the palisade wall so the side wall ends at the palisade. Nothing on the side wall suggests any entrance nor are there any windows on this side.

The front wall window shutters rattle but do not open as they seem to be latched from the inside. The door is unlocked, however, and opens onto a one room living space- seemingly unoccupied. The walls and floor are wooden planking with a large simple rug across the open space of the floor. A table with a basin, some wooden bowls, and a jug are on the right wall. To the left lies a bed with a small table and chair next to it. On this table there is a crude, lit candelabra.

The strange, old man you first met here approaches Graela and Hennoth standing our front of the shack. Hmph. One meal and you folks make yourselves right at home, I see. Lookin' to move in? He juts his chin at Travix's and Salt Peter's explorations of the shack in explanation. Hennoth blushes furiously at this but says nothing in reply. Meanwhile your companion tore outta here like he'd just seen a ghost...his own! Terrified, he was. I called out but he just kept runnin' and I lost sight of him in the woods. Or was it you that said something to scare him off?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#120 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix is just about to tell Tip to go inside and investigate the room when he realizes that the halfling is no longer around. When the old man arrives to give his account, one of the wizards eyebrows raises substantially.

"Which direction did he run off to, exactly? Also.....can you tell us who lives in this shack, please? We have a suspicion that we might know him."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”