chapter 4- back to the wilderness

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: chapter 4- back to the wilderness

#81 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter is a little slow on the uptake when Travix motions for him to toss over some sausage, but he finally figures it out, assuming that it's for Travix. He laughs when he sees that it is for the goblin. "Yer plannin' on domesty-catin' this 'un?"

When Graela leaps forward and jabs the goblin in the leg, Salt Peter is bewildered, but assumes these two must be playing some form of good-guard/bad-guard with the prisoner. He goes back to checking the perimeter.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by coil23 »

The goblin yelps with pain and surprise when the spear goes in his leg. Clutching it he scoots back away from Graela and cowers. I was answering! I was!

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip is not in favor of torturing the beast, even though Graela's actions might prove successful. He keeps a vigilant eye on the surrounding wood.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#84 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Foolish or not, Travix continues on with his questioning. He scowls at Graela's action, hoping the gruff dwarf backs off before he has to turn her into a newt.

What are you called, goblin? I am sure you have a very colorful name, yes?

He lets the thing attend to its own wound as it talks. He gives the thing a piece of sausage once the bleeding has stopped.

It isn't rabbit or cornbread but, its still pretty tasty. Now, how would you like to join us for the time being little fella? You could take us around and show us these places that you speak of. If you are such a terrible goblin, perhaps you will make a better adventurer?

The other goblins are mean and will try to hurt you if they find out that you are helping us, right? We could protect you and keep you safe if the other goblins try to hurt you. We eliminated your group pretty easily right? Would you like to be our new guide?

Of course this is all completely bogus and Travix eyes this thought to the others as he speaks.

The goblin that escaped us.......where will he be going to report what just happened here? To your cave or somewhere else?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by coil23 »

The goblin continues to hold its injured leg with one hand but happily snatches the piece of sausage with the other. Mmmmm, sausage. This tastes better than rabbit. You must be rich. I wanted to be called Mallet because I want to be a cook. He looks down in embarrassment, but they only called me Flower because I don’t smell like the others. So.....Flower Mallet? He munches happily on the sausage, squinting eyes toward the dogs to make sure they will not come take away his prize.

And I’ll be your guide if you’ll protect me. At this he looks furtively over at Graela and then quickly away again. Did someone get away? Hopefully not Scratch, he mutters. There were five of us.

There are 4 dead goblins. Salt Peter caught up with the one who fled and killed it.

Hennoth eyes all of this sausage giving with something akin to envy. To the dogs: of course. But now goblins? He sidles over to Salt Peter to see if he can get in on all this charity.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#86 Post by OGRE MAGE »

coil23 wrote:There are 4 dead goblins. Salt Peter caught up with the one who fled and killed it.
Sorry, I must have misread that part. I thought one bolted right away. :oops:
Travix smiles at the strange mannerisms of the goblin. He speaks again to the others in the common tongue, experimenting to see just how smart this little flour dumpling is.

He said he will act as our guide out here if we protect him from the bad goblins that want to kill him. He seems to be a bit........ different than most of his kind that I have encountered. Or maybe I am just getting soft in my old age?

Should we entertain his offer or would one of you like to cut him down right here?

He watches the reaction of Flower Mallet, trying to discern if he understood his words.

He then tells Salty to give the boy cleric a sausage too, before he starts licking on the halfling's little fingers.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by coil23 »

The goblin has no particular reaction to Travix's comments made in common. His focus remains on the sausage.

Hennoth shoots an offended (and somewhat horrified) look toward Travix at the mention of licking the halfling's fingers but says nothing.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter shrugs. "I got no argy-ment wi' ther lil' feller. I 'ave 'ad truck wi' all manner o' lowlife in me time, an' am usually counted among their number. But I'll foller Graeler's lead on this. Ye don' wan a dwarf fumin' onna blood feud."

Regarding the sausage, Salt Peter says to Hennoth, "Cripes, lad, we gots better food 'an this. I'll eat ennything as ain't got weevils innit, and I ain't eatin' these. These're fer ther dawgs."

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"I'm for bringing the gob along as our guide as long as we keep a fixed eye on him at all times. I'm by no means saying I trust the wretch, but maybe he can help us glean some valuable information about the area."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix is glad that his friends haven't killed this thing yet. He continues on in common.

We already know that magic works kinda funny out in these parts, right? I don't mean to suggest anything yet but, lets just say that I have a feeling about this little guy. Hennoth! Do you have the power to detect the moral compass of our little friend here? I don't think there is an evil bone in his body, personally. However, I am also no fool and realize that this whole thing could be nothing more than a ruse.

The wizard smiles again at Flower Mallet as he woofs down on the sausage.

In goblin:

Have you ever been inside those old ruins up ahead Mallet?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Graela looks at her companions as if they'd lost their minds. "Maybe the old saying is true indeed > Only the gods know the minds of fools. > because it seems you have all gone daft! This is a goblin! Goblins are evil; everyone knows that!"

She stomps off and cusses and throws a few rocks, kicks a few bushes, and gives the sausage-gobbling goblin a glare that could scorch its hairy hide. And then she stomps back to her group. "Whatever the hell you all want to do, but, let me tell ya somethin' > I ain't turnin' my back on the filthy little bugger! And the first sign I get that it's planning to betray us, I'll gig it like a frog, roast if over a fire, and feed it to my dogs!"

Then she stomps off again, spits, cusses, and kicks another bush or two.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by coil23 »

Flower Mallet nods at the question about the ruins as he diligently sucks the full length of each finger that touched the sausage to be sure he gets every last morsel, taste, and smell. We went in quickly, supposed to go back. Last group never came back- figured the hobgoblins got 'em. Supposed to set up new camp there but scouts keep disappearing. At Graela's scorching glare, the goblin beams at Travix with his most charming smile to implore his new guardian to keep him safe.

Hennoth shakes his head no on the question of divining alignment. I don't know how to do that. But I could pray on that and see what comes from Pelor at a later time. The boy tries to be unobtrusive while licking his fingers and murmurs to Salt Peter, these are the best dog sausages ever.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip smiles at the innocence of Hennoth. He hopes the malevolence of the world does not shake the boy's spirit. "I do not wish to linger here. The smell of blood might draw that...thing...Shall we be off?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#94 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Yes, let's go then. He pulls out some cord and ties Flour Mallet's hands behind his back. Dont worry little guy. Master will protect you. This is just in case the Hobgoblins are still there. If they are, we will start calling you Trigger. Do you understand that? Lead the way now and I will stay a little ways behind you.

The mage prods the goblin towards the ruins, holding the cord tightly in case he gets spooked by seething.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by coil23 »

The goblin seems bewildered by the Trigger comment but does not question it. His face falls with disappointment when he realizes he is to be bound but seems resigned to it. Flower Mallet walks willingly with the group as all of you approach the ruins. The donkeys are not keen on the smell of the goblin but are placid enough with no one making any sudden moves or loud noises. The dogs, following the lead of the two-leggeds' acceptance of the goblin, are complacent with the new member.

Gauging the sun in the sky you see it is a little before midday as you walk through the large open doorway of the abandoned fort. Just as before, there is a hallway to the left and right as well as a large room ahead of you that is open to the sky due to the collapsed roof. Silence greets you in all three directions.

In case this is helpful, I am reposting the first floor map.
abandoned fortress map-resized copy.jpg
abandoned fortress map-resized copy.jpg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 231 times

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Beckoning her dogs to accompany her, Graela eases into the abandoned fort. She has her spear ready as her eyes adjust to the gloom of being inside. She passes through the large room and into the room behind it.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#97 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix wonders if the dogs can tell if there is someone else in here. He continues to listen intently throughout the complex and watches the mannerisms of the hounds.

Once the group is through, he sprinkles a bag of caltrops that he has recently acquired on the floor just inside the front door.

Those hobos were on us before we even knew they were here. I wonder who else we will find inside this place?

The wizard looks around on the floor again, trying to find out if there was any more recent activity.

Maybe we should post a guard while we ransack this place?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip joins the others as they re-enter the dillapitated fort. "I'm still curious if there really was a well down here somewhere? The bandit may have been lying. Still...I can't help but wonder. I will take first shift as guard. Can we leave one of the hounds to assist me?" Tip looks nervously about in the gloomy place.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "We oughter go room ter room, first, aye? Make sure hain't no new residents as 'ave bunked up, 'ere.

"Mebbe Hennoth and ther dogs could stay out wi' ther donkeys, whiles we check. If'n it's clear, we kin set up a stable, like ther bandits did."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by coil23 »

[1d6] = 3

Graela brings the dogs with her to the back room where the bandits had previously been camped. Travix spreads caltrops just inside the main gate doorway. The dogs reactions suggest there are so many interesting smells around here but nothing in the immediate area to suggest danger.

I'm hearing some different ideas on how to proceed and what to do with the dogs.

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”