chapter 4- back to the wilderness

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 4- back to the wilderness

#61 Post by coil23 »

[1d20] = 15

The goblin frantically changes directions again and again trying to escape. Hearing the slaughter of the shrubbery dealt by the halfling hot in pursuit proves to be a fatal distraction as an unseen tree branch knocks the goblin onto its back. The last thing it sees is Salt Peter standing directly overhead and then the ax falling.

Quiet descends in the woods again and your group hears no other sounds of threat. The copper smell of blood is in the air now. You wonder what that would draw in woods such as these. Searching the area you find the goblin party had consisted of five. Two were killed in their sleep by the mage. Salt Peter dispatched one very surprised goblin and another that had fled. A fifth lies sleeping and bound with rope while Tip stands guard beside it.

Hennoth fervently tends to Graela, a constant stream of entreaties to Pelor barely heard as he works. He begins with healing magic and then tries to make the dwarf as comfortable as possible as he searches his pack for healing herbs.

Hennoth cast cure light wounds [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix pulls all of the bodies to the area of the still sleeping vermin. He goes through their possessions as Tip keeps an eye on the sleeper.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Wincing at the pain in her gut, Graela uses Hennoth's shoulder to help herself stand up. Her wound is much improved and she pats the big young man on the back. "Many thanks, my friend. I'm glad Pelor is watching over us."
Stepping gingerly, getting used to the pinch in her flesh, she walks over to the dead goblins and the rest of her companions. "Kept one for talking I see. Has it said anything yet or are you waiting for me to poke it?"
Graela twirls her spear and drives it straight down...into the ground right beside the goblin's head.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip cracks a smile at Graela's eagerness. "We thought to wait and give you the honors, Lady Graela." He reshoulders his bow and replaces his arrow. "I think the dogs might loosen this thing's tongue if it tries to play the quiet game."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter returns from the brush, out of breath and wiping sweat from his forehead. Dilating his nostrils with a great sniff of the blood-tainted air, he says, "Let's throw yer sack o' taters there onna donkey an' take'im with us, aye? Sharks'll be circlin' soon 'nuff."

Watching Travix loot the bodies speaks to his bandit's heart, however. "Ye' find ennythin' good?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

"I agree with both of ya! The dogs might loosen its tongue a bit and we do need to get going. Only the gods know what the smell of all this blood and gore might bring sniffing around. Let's load this gobbo up and head out."
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by coil23 »

Searching the goblin bodies turns up: 7 silver pieces, a tinderbox, 3 torches, 3 poor quality knives sized for goblins, a charcoal map crudely drawn on hide. The map seems to depict the general area: you see the abandoned fort, the road north of there where you arrived into town, Goat's Plum, something ominous but indecipherable directly south of here a ways. The area around Mom's outpost shows a fence and a stick figure. There are some crude arrows that show travel through the woods as well as near the town, fort, and road. It all seems to originate from some black smudge on the southeast of the map. More indecipherable symbols are seen north of the road near the top of the map as well.

The goblin does not wake from Graela's overture, its breathing even and deep. The chosen donkey is not pleased with the smell of the goblin so close but allows the thing to be loaded on board. While the donkeys seems skittish with the smell of blood in the air, the dogs become intense, quietly excited. They watch the handling of the surviving goblin intently. The group continues on until you top the last hill and look down once again upon the abandoned fort up against the cliff behind it. You see no activity or signs of habitation in the fort from here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#68 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix looks at their captive and then down on the fort. He thinks it would be a bad idea to approach any further with a prisoner in tow.

Lets see what this goblin rat has to tell us about this map before we go any closer, shall we?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Aye, let's wait until this "sweetly smelling flower" rises from its slumber before we proceed. I'd like to know what it has to share. I wonder what the ominous sign on the map signifies...?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter shrugs. "Surely issa problem, an' a nasty one. Sorta thing as needs 'eroes an' whatall. Not our bother. Pullin' a profit outter ther ol' ruin is more inna nature of our concern."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela nods at Salt Peter.
"I agree, Salty. We don't need to step in a deeper hole of shit than we already have by combing the tunnels of the abandoned fort. Hate to think we have to go back in there, but I don't want to leave any undead critters to plague the area."
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by coil23 »

The captive goblin is slapped awake. It comes to, startled and disoriented, blinking and looking around at the surroundings and ventures hopefully in goblin: sn- snack?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#73 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix laughs out loud at the goblins stupidity. He speaks to it in its own despicable tongue.

No, no. We aren't going to eat you little fella. Not yet anyway.

You must have some verbal routine that you go through after being captured, yes? Well, let's have it then. Who are you, what are you doing here, where were you headed and where are you from and all that....

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip stands guard and lets those more skilled with interrogation get to work.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by coil23 »

The creature’s shoulders slump as reality sinks in. He daren’t correct the human. He only hoped for something to eat. But if the first thought was of eating him then the less said the better. This looks like a scary group, especially the dwarf. He makes sure to not meet her eyes. The goblin seems to be fond of the donkeys as he keeps glancing their way though avoids all contact with the dogs.

I follow orders. We were on patrol then back to cave. See what dangers in woods so master can move north. I no want work for him! I just want to live…and rich people’s food.

The fretful goblin wrings his hands as he looks around then back to the ground. He waits for the blows to land.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#76 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Feeling pity for the creature, Tip continues to watch the surrounding woods for a potential ambush. He hopes the others will not be too harsh with the pathetic thing.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter doesn't speak goblin, so he goes and checks on the animals, feeding some more sausage bits to the dogs. Then he checks the perimeter.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#78 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix notices the destitute look of the goblin and is glad that it isn't just stupid fodder like most of its kind.

Oh, silly me. It is you who are hungry then? Well that is good. We don't really eat goblins you know. He looks at Tip and rolls his eyes.

Heck, we might even let you live.........if you cooperate with us that is. You say that you don't want to work for your master? Why is that? Who is this master that you speak of and why do you dislike working for him?

The wizard nods for Salt Peter to toss the gobo a bit of sausage for good relations. He pulls out the crude map.

Also......Where is this cave that you speak of? Is it marked here on this map? What else can you tell us about this map? Specifically, what about this odd smudge? What is that supposed to be?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by coil23 »

The goblin’s eyes light up with excitement.

Let me live…and eat? I heard all rich people eat rabbit and cornbread every meal. Do you have rabbit and cornbread?

He shakes his head and shudders about the master questions. He’s scary, bad. Hurts and torments others. Then the Bone King won’t let others die. I don’t want to hurt people but I don’t want to be hurt. Looking down at the ground, I’m not a very good goblin they tell me. Looking back up with a little spark, except for eating.

The creature’s finger goes south on the map until it runs off the edge. Cave is down here. Not on the map because we always come from there. Pointing at the smudge in the SW corner of the map, that’s where big ones camp when in area. Don’t go there or you be rabbit and cornbread.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Graela watches Travix's interaction with the goblin and just shakes her head. She is constantly amazed at how gullible humans can be. This filthy little beast would cut Travix's throat and watch him bleed out while it robs his pockets. And then piss on him as he dies.

"Answer the frackin' questions or I will gut you and feed you to these dogs! Yer lucky to still be breathin' so talk!"

She pokes the goblin in the leg with her spear, just enough to draw blood.
Winter is coming...

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”