It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:44 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
You spend the night in the inn, breakfast in the morning, and then head to the river to pick up your baggage train. Three donkeys with saddlebags wait stoically. Two guard dogs wait beside the donkeys (roughly Rottweiler stature). The dogs have a small amount of leather armor over portions of their bodies (chest, shoulders, part of their sides, and a portion of their head and neck area). Betty Sue seems to be the kennel master and explains the command set for the dogs. (sit, stay, come; guard and attack are additional commands- the release for these two is "come") The target for certain commands must be clear and unambiguous, indicated by pointing or simply whatever is front and center to the dog at the moment. Since this is an abrupt transfer, you are instructed to pick one person who will be the handler and issue commands for the dogs. Betty Sue goes over some repetition with this person and the dogs for a bit. Food for donkeys and dogs is packed away in one of the saddle bags.

Applejack is not present. It is explained he was needed upriver at Hiking Doglegg for some reason. If there are no other questions for her, Betty Sue sends you on your way, petting the animals before you leave. Hennoth met you at Applejack's, excited and nervous.

What next?



If you get the best room (with private washroom), a halfing-size room, and another room for the night it will be 3 gold total. Meals and drinks: Boudraine only charges you 3 gold total. The secure storage fee is 2 silver/week.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:44 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13885
Location: Packerland
Never being a big fan of animals, Travix suggests someone else control the dogs. Tip perhaps?

We should take the same route that we took back here. Keeping a familiarity with the land as we travel.

If everyone is ready, lets depart.


The mage pats Hennoth in the shoulder to try to ease his nerves as the group departs.

What have you learned while we drank up our booty, young lad?

Subtracted one gold from sheet for lodgings and meals.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:58 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 4069
Location: NC
coil23 wrote:
If you get the best room (with private washroom), a halfing-size room, and another room for the night it will be 3 gold total. Meals and drinks: Boudraine only charges you 3 gold total. The secure storage fee is 2 silver/week.

3 gold and 5 silver deducted for room and storage for a month, plus a silver for an extra key.

Graela approaches the dogs and runs her hand over their smooth heads, patting them on the side of the face and then along their shoulders. "What are their names?" she asks, Betty Sue.
"They are beautiful."

Obviously, Graela has taken a shine to the dogs...and will be glad to be responsible for them; unless Tip or Salty would prefer.

_________________
Winter is coming...

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:08 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Tip:

Tip joins Graela in her admiration of the dogs, "Fine hounds, these," he says as he pets their glossy heads and necks. Even though the dogs are almost as tall as Tip, the little halfling is not in the least intimated. "I'd spoil these guys too much and probably turn them into lazy pups with all the snacks I'd feed them," he smiles. "Would you or Salty like to be handler of these magnificent beasts?"

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:01 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
Betty Sue points to the dogs in succession, that one’s Sizzle and that one’s Snap. Named ‘em after the sounds from making meals in the cook fire. She shrugs, that’s what had their attention the most.

Hennoth looks sheepish at the question of recent educational activities. I got more rocks for my sling, some real pretty ones. He pats a pouch at his side. And I prayed for guidance in the wilderness.

The group sets out, looking like quite the caravan. (I will use the same marching order as listed on first entry of DM log thread, with dogs between Travix and Donkeys, unless told differently) You set out intentionally on the same route as last time. The morning is still early and birds are singing in the trees. While you do not get any glimpses of Mom's rangers patrolling the area this time around, the forest feels benign this morning and you are able to enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells around you. After a while you find yourself with a choice on the trail. Veer a little to the left which will take you to Mom's outpost or continue to the right and follow the route you took before when you went to the abandoned fort?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:37 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13885
Location: Packerland
Travix enjoys traveling in the early morning. He takes in any sights that they might have missed last trip. He stops periodically to pick certain herbs and other useful plants that he finds.

Does anyone need to stop at Moms place first?

I say we go have a look at the ruined fort first, grab up what we can, and then head to Moms outpost for the evening.

Unless someone has other ideas, of course.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Tip:

Tip breathes in the scents of the forest, enjoying the walk and the company. "Yes, Master Travix. Your thoughts are wise. I think it best we begin exploring in the light of day. The fort seems a place of activity after nightfall."

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:39 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4099
Salt Peter is clearly nervous around the dogs who tower over him, but tries his darnedest not to show it, and makes a point of regularly slipping them pieces of sausage that he stuck in his pocket from breakfast. "I hears as they won't bite ther one what feeds 'e, aye?" Looking at the donkeys with an air of suspicion, he pulls out some carrot ends he dug up somewhere. "Ye never know. Might work on this lot, too."

Salt Peter approves of the plan to go straight to the ruins, and then bed down at Mom's tonight.

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:30 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
You continue on toward the abandoned fort. Once Hennoth's eye catches Salt Peter feeding the animals he seems to monitor this activity frequently. One might think he is jealous of someone else currying favor with the dogs and donkeys when the boy cannot do so himself. But he is dutiful, as well as mindful of the risks of travel in the woods, and he maintains his place in line while being watchful of the surroundings...mostly.

[1d6] = 1
[1d6] = 1

It is late morning as you are nearing the ridge where you found the fort before. At the head of the line Graela and Tip can hear the sound of speech ahead through the underbrush. To Tip it is harsh and tinny in sound, Graela understands it as goblin.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:47 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
Graela signals for the party to halt as she listens carefully. She quietly relays to the party she hears two goblins arguing ahead though there sound to be more than two. One is scared of something he saw.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:59 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Tip:

Tip heeds Graela's warning, crouches, and remains quiet. He hopes the animals will remain silent as well. He waits patiently to see if any more information can be gleaned.

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:53 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13885
Location: Packerland
Travix puts a finger to his lips and looks at Hennoth and the others behind him.

He tries to remain silent and strains to hear the words of the goblins as best he can. He prepares the necessary components of his sleeping magic.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 4069
Location: NC
coil23 wrote:
Graela signals for the party to halt as she listens carefully. She quietly relays to the party she hears two goblins arguing ahead though there sound to be more than two. One is scared of something he saw.

"Sounds like a goblin scout is telling his boss about a dangerous foe up ahead of them," Graela whispers. "My guess this is a goblin patrol > maybe 4 or 5 total; could be more I guess. We could send in the dogs and then follow close and take 'em with spear and spell. Or we could just follow along, keeping our distance and see what they are about to run into."

_________________
Winter is coming...

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:38 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:35 pm
Posts: 4099
Salt Peter: "Ah, what should we care what a passle o' goblins be up to inna woods? Long as they hain't headed ter ther ruins."

_________________
Master of Game, Architect of Adventure, Domineering Hand of Dread Consequence, GARGANTUA, (Into the Odd)
Salt Peter, sailor, The North Spine Campaign (LL)
Jiminy Gurglesquelch, shoggoth, Tales of the Gam'A Zone (Mutant Future)
Abijah Dun, warrior, The Monastery at Dimwater (1ed)
Coat-of-Nine-Hides, beast-master, A Company of Corpses (B/X)
Brother Dumphey, cleric, A Company of Corpses (B/X)

WEBCOMIC!==>>The Mummy's Sabbatical
Gaming blog==>> An Abominable Fancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:54 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
A few sounds of movement through the underbrush seem like the goblins are carefully moving north. Their movement is slow and while the group sounds relatively nearby, one in particular seems close.


Graela:
While the leader still sounds scornful of the other's fear, he is cautioning them all to be on the lookout. The others make sounds of being spooked and the goblins sound like they are on edge.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:16 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13885
Location: Packerland
Travix gives the signal to stay still and remain silent, hoping the patrol passes them by without notice.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:29 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:11 am
Posts: 2505
group [1d6] = 4
individual [1d6] = 6


As you all crouch frozen and listening to the passing goblins the sounds seem to be slowly fading.

Graela:
The leader makes a comment about how once this patrol is over they can all get back to the outpost to report back and finally get some rest. Not too much farther.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:54 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13885
Location: Packerland
Travix whispers to the others once the threat has moved on.

I was half expecting one of them to become possessed and kill all of the others while we watched again.

Graela, did they say something about the outpost? (Trav speaks gob too you know) :lol:

We should move along to our destination before we find any more unfriendlies.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:37 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm
Posts: 2172
Location: GA
Tip:

"Yes, gobs are quite filthy, wretched creatures. Let's give them a wide berth and be off on our way. What do you suppose they were on the lookout for? Maybe the chittering thing we have heard before?" Tip scratches one of the hounds behind the ear and waits to resume the trip to the outpost.

_________________
Keilif Zythanthus: Male Human Cleric in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
Tip Briarberry: Male Halfling in North Spine Campaign
Garrin Locke: Male Human Paladin in The Lost City of the Pharaohs
Ingrid Esthof: Female Human Cleric in The Horror at Briarsgate
DM: The Monastery at Dimwater

Roles Once Played:
Calto Moonslayer: Male Half-elf Druid in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
Dr. Francis Morgan: Male Professor of Archeology at Miskatonic University in CoC: That Which Should Not Be
Cathedra Woodsong: Female Elven Thief in Against the Giants


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 4069
Location: NC
Graela Windborn

Graela nods at Travix. "They're going straight to the outpost...same place we're going. The leader said something about reporting back and then getting some rest. Fracking gobbos! I really can't stand 'em."

Then Graela grips her spear and says, "I think we should take 'em out. We have the dogs and spells and such. Letting them get back to the outpost is just going to allow them to dig in those tunnels and make it harder and more dangerous to fight them. What say you?"

_________________
Winter is coming...

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group