chapter 4- back to the wilderness

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 4- back to the wilderness

#421 Post by coil23 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Travix whispers back to the innkeeper.

"It sounds to me like you have trouble enough just making a discussion around here, much less defending yourselves. It also sounds like we will need to learn a little more about this Marge person. Tell me......is she a large woman? What do you actually know of her?"
I see what you did there. 8-)

Tip and Travix:

Boudraine starts to look indignant at the slight on the town's inability to have a discussion but thinks better of it and moves on, merely looking put out. Yes, she's on the bigger side, wears her hair in a bun. There are two people who manage the river trade and in general....can get things done. That's Applejack and Marge. And Applejack's the only one I trust. I think there're shady things going on over there at the Prancing Nanny. He spreads his hands, I'm a businessman, I have no quarrel with a black market. But there's a way to do things friendly-like and everyone comes out ahead. But threats with a smile are still threats. He suddenly seems nervous and looks around, lowering his voice further and wringing his hands. I think I've said too much. Just be careful dealing with those folk.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#422 Post by Mant72 »

Tip looks up at his comrade, "Think we should check up on Salty and Graela, or do you think it wise we stay out of the way and await their return?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#423 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

"I don't see any need to interfere with their party. Let them blow off some steam. I was planning on retiring for the evening soon anyway."

The mage looks at his friend with understanding eyes.

"But you are certainly welcome to join them if you want to, little friend. My old bones cant take all of that drinking and merrymaking anymore. And Salt's singing is very hard on my ears."

The old man says the last line with a smile as he looks around the room some more.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#424 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter returns to Graela's spot at the bar in a sulk, and refuses to acknowledge that he'd been trying to sneak into the back. As soon as he finished his drink, he grumbles, "This hain't a good crowd fer a chanty, ennyway. Le's go find Tip an' Longshanks."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#425 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela nods and finishes her drink, throws a few coins on the bar, and she and Salt Peter leave the Nanny. Once outside..."What did you find out about that back room? Did you get a look inside?"
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#426 Post by Mant72 »

Tip looks up at Travix, "I too long for some quiet. Care to join me on the stoop for a pipeful before we retire?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#427 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Now you are speaking my language, Tip!

Let's do just that!

In all of my long years I have never found a better method to help one sleep than a few long draws of hobbit leaf just before bedtime. I simply must spend some quality time with the farmers the next time I find myself in your shire.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#428 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix share a relaxing bowl of pipeweed and settle in for the night at the River Fork Inn. At one point Miyo pops in just long enough to deliver the clay marbles he was sent to fetch for Travix.

Graela and Salt Peter remain at the Prancing Nanny Tavern, unsure what to do since they were unable to follow the two surveillance targets into the back.

Let me know if there is anything anyone wants to do before morning. Unless told otherwise, I will assume Graela and Salt Peter will return to sleep at the Inn at some point.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#429 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix replaces his lost marbles with the hard clay orbs.

Many thanks, Miyo! Can I find you here at the Inn if I need any more of your services?

Well, Tip. I think I will retire for the evening then if there are no other problems to solve tonight.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by Pulpatoon »

hedgeknight wrote:Graela "What did you find out about that back room? Did you get a look inside?"
Salt Peter looks abashed on the walk back to their lodgings. "I got a'spied by ther lubber at ther door. Lousy luck, that. Not ter say I counnunt 'ave got in, I jus' reckon'd it were too much trouble fer a wild hare. We got enough bizniz heaped 'pon us, aye?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#431 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix:

Miyo nods enthusiastically, I'll be here, sir!

Graela and Salt Peter:

The guard who had stopped Salt Peter steps up to the bartender for a moment and whispers in his ear, nodding his head toward the halfling and then goes to take up his sentry position again.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#432 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Unless there is going to be another fight..... :D

Travix takes his leave of the others and heads off to his same bedroom.

He intends to check out the groups storage area before breakfast in the morning to make sure everything is still in its place.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#433 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:Graela and Salt Peter remain at the Prancing Nanny Tavern, unsure what to do since they were unable to follow the two surveillance targets into the back.
FYI > in our earlier posts, Graela and Salty left the Nanny and are heading back to the inn. ;)
Pulpatoon wrote:Salt Peter looks abashed on the walk back to their lodgings. "I got a'spied by ther lubber at ther door. Lousy luck, that. Not ter say I counnunt 'ave got in, I jus' reckon'd it were too much trouble fer a wild hare. We got enough bizniz heaped 'pon us, aye?"
"Aye. For a little town and region, this place is a mess full of trouble brewing. The sooner we get outta here, the better."
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#434 Post by Mant72 »

With the aid of a full belly and a relaxing bowl of pipe weed, Tip settles in for a relaxing night of sleep. Before fully succumbing to sleep, the tiny halfling hopes Salty and Graela will arrive back at the inn safely.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#435 Post by coil23 »

My bad.
The DM quickly stuffs all his toy assassins back in his pocket as if nothing whatsoever had been about to happen anyway. :D
Graela and Salt Peter's walk back to the Inn is quiet. The streets seem to have cleared of any village folk. When they enter the Inn Boudraine is at the bar cleaning, looking up to nod and then raise his brow to ask if they are in need of anything. The common room here is quiet, two men talking quietly at a table while one scratches the ears of the dog, Flour, lying down beside him. Boudraine offers, your same room arrangements are in place if that is acceptable.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#436 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Oh, aye. Be our mateys 'ere abouts? Abed be they? Aye, well, it hain't feel like a nights fer cups an' revels an' 'earty chanties. I reckon it's to me bunk, an' I'll see ye inna mornin'."

The little brown pirate deposits his now empty bottle of hootch on the bar for Boudraine to dispose of. Nodding goodnight to Graela, he climbs the stairs. In the room, he once again eschews the bed for the window ledge.

Deciding to keep watch in the night, he collects some scraps of cloth and string to idly tie knots and occupy his hands. He stares out the window, contemplating his circumstances. Dangers abound. Goblins and haints and murderous dairy farmers and worse besides. And untold horrors on the horizon, what with Boney Kings and Nagas and prophecies.

But, he has a pocket full of more gold than he has ever felt in his life. And his crew-mates are steadfast and true—they haven't once tried to cut one another's throat over pay or grog, which is an unusual state of affairs in Salt Peter's life.

As much as the notions of "heroism" and "adventuring" roil his stomach, he decides he's sailing fair on a fortuitous current, and might as well keep the tiller straight.

A few hours before dawn, he has wound the rag scraps into an elaborate turk's head bracelet. Tossing it in a corner, he wakes up Tip. "S'yer turn on watch, cousin." Climbing back up onto the window ledge, he falls immediately into a deep, hacking snore.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#437 Post by coil23 »

Boudraine's expression curdles somewhat when he sees he has been given a drink bottle purchased from elsewhere for him to dispose of but he says nothing. He confirms your two companions have already gone to their rooms and he wishes you a restful night. Out of habit he checks your feet as you walk past to see if he will have any more messes to clean up for the night.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#438 Post by coil23 »

Unless there is anything someone would like to do before morning...

Each of you wakes in the morning refreshed (some perhaps even with an inkling of insight regarding the negative correlation between severe binge drinking and restful sleep) and feeling well. It is still early yet (0600) and the delicious smells of breakfast waft through the building as well as the occasional faint clamor of cooking pots and pans.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#439 Post by hedgeknight »

The night before Graela would have requested hot water for a bath, whereupon she shaves and waxes pretty much all of her body except her eyebrows and head. After a decent night's rest, she rises with the dawn, dresses for the day, and heads to breakfast.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#440 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

The alluring smell of freshly cooked victuals act as a siren song for the young halfling. He rouses Salty from his slumber, "Better make our way down before the choice pieces end up in Travix and Graela's gullets."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”