chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

#141 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix attempts to lure the conversation away from food and drink for a few moments in order to discuss the groups next endeavor. He nods at Salty's suggestion to sell off the gems but might be interested in taking the gold box as his share instead.

So what's it gonna be then? Back to the outpost to finish our search first? If that is the case..........do any of you have a way to speak with animals? The old Mage looks as though he has more to say about this, but he waits for any answers first.

Also, remember when Barnaby mentioned the "Bone" something? Seemed to have been talking about a person? Did any of you hear anything out there about this?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

"I'm all for going back to the ruined fort and clearing it out for good. And we can take a cart and maybe a mule! Or...we could just go where the wind takes us."

20 silver & 3 gold added to sheet
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#143 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Aye, I am for finishing what we started," Tip nods in agreement with Graela's suggestion that they return to the abandoned fort.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sorry, hedge! I hadn't realized Graela had made it back, when Salty said he'd hang onto her share!

Salt Peter: "Given the price o' them books, an ther innerest in ther map, I'm feeling more inclined ter head back ter ther ruin. Since we got some cappy-toll ter work with, I says we use it. I reckon instead of a cart, we'll want a few donkeys—they'll have ther smoothest time plowing through ther thick'n bramble aroun' thar.

"An' we'll want ter be provisioned fer ther undead. An' if'n we kin get ennything ter ward off eveil magics, that'd be good. A barrel fulla rabbits' feet, mebbe?

"Oh, an' since we know tha' ther ruins is busier than the harbormaster's office at ther Gran' Port, we may want some protection fer ther donkeys. Mebbe a coupla' guard dogs?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#145 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

All good ideas! I wonder what kind of selection we will be able to find in the way of animals out here, but it's worth looking into!

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#146 Post by coil23 »

Hennoth comes loping into the inn. He hands the piece of paper in his hands over to your group. Feregrine said to bring this. He sits down and water, bread, and cheese are brought to him. Chewing contentedly he stares off, lost in thought. Flour gets up and comes over to lay down by the boy, her tail thumping the floor gently as the boy pets her.

The paper is a sketch of the map fragment you found. The foreign text has not been copied but the topographical map features are present.

Early afternoon with a bright sun outside, there is still plenty of daylight left and you do not expect Feregrine to finish the translation today, perhaps not for several days.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#147 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

That is rather simple fare for a hero young Hennoth. Would you like something a little less bland to eat dear boy? On me of course.

Travix thinks the group should finish up any affairs here and then head back to Mom's outpost later this day. Then they will be able to sleep in the fort, offering them the entire next day for the second foray into the ruins.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by coil23 »

No thank you is what you think you heard from Hennoth through an entirely too full mouthful of food. He feeds cheese to the dog after looking around carefully for the proprietor first then stands up and brushes crumbs from the front of his shirt. More muffled speech is translated as I have to dry more plants before we go. Do you want me to meet you or just stay at the Comfrey Leaf?

He waits for instructions then will leave after one last pat for the dog.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#149 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Whatever you are most comfortable with, Master Hennoth," Tip says to the young priest. He continues, "Yes, let us replenish our supplies and stock up on what we think is needed. Boudraine mentioned a safe where we can store our goods while adventuring. I believe I might check in on that." The little halfling excuses himself from the table and goes to get more information from the proprietor about securing his monies.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Graela offers to accompany Tip. "I would like to know more about storing my coins too."

And then once outside, "Are you sure we can trust this human? I'd as soon trust a hollow tree or a locked trunk with my things. And something else I've been thinking about, these long legs sure are damn lucky we came along. Who else would be doing all this work, risking their lives, and such? Don't get me wrong, Travix is a good one and I trust him, but...these others...seems like they are quick to send us off into only gods know where!"
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#151 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Responding to the dwarven war-maiden, "Hmmm...Yes, I do see your point. The long shanks do seem rather quick to send us off into this gods' foresaken unknown to clean up their foolishness, but I do to trust them. Maybe it's what some folks coin as "halfling naivety", but I don't think they are nefarious. They have all kept their word and even delivered our pay as promised. I think your worries are unfounded, dear friend, but let's be cautious with who serves as sentinel over our coin." He offers Graela a wide, toothy grin and pats her on the shoulder for reassurance. "Now, let's see what this "giant" has to say about safeguarding our treasures. Shall we?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#152 Post by coil23 »

Graela and Tip walk to the counter where Boudraine stands writing behind the counter. Secure storage? Yes, of course. We offer two options. There are sturdy trunks in the rooms for rent that lock. An even more secure option is the storage closets here on the main floor. You pass them on the way to the washroom in back. They are 10 feet by 10 feet rooms with, shall we say, sturdy doors. Nothing alive or dangerous to this establishment or its inhabitants may be stored inside. You are given a key and you may access your belongings whenever you wish. For you I would only charge 2 silver a week.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter to Travix: "Ye say ye 'ave an eye on ther gold box. Fair 'nuff. But we'll 'ave to get 'er appraised ter know if'n she's a fair share, aye? What d'ye say we take 'er an' ther opals ter Applyjack?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:Graela and Tip walk to the counter where Boudraine stands writing behind the counter. Secure storage? Yes, of course. We offer two options. There are sturdy trunks in the rooms for rent that lock. An even more secure option is the storage closets here on the main floor. You pass them on the way to the washroom in back. They are 10 feet by 10 feet rooms with, shall we say, sturdy doors. Nothing alive or dangerous to this establishment or its inhabitants may be stored inside. You are given a key and you may access your belongings whenever you wish. For you I would only charge 2 silver a week.
"I only have a few extra coins I don't want to lug around. What about you, Tip? How much is rent on the trunk?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#155 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Pulpatoon wrote:Salt Peter to Travix: "Ye say ye 'ave an eye on ther gold box. Fair 'nuff. But we'll 'ave to get 'er appraised ter know if'n she's a fair share, aye? What d'ye say we take 'er an' ther opals ter Applyjack?"
Travix

Aye! Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't mind taking a little less than my share this time, I just thought that the box was neat looking.

Lets go see what the appraiser says, shall we?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#156 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Aye, I only have a small amount to store as well. I'd like to maybe sell the opals and leave the coin here. Then again, they are quite lovely stones. I might just secure mine without converting it to coin. Let's check on a safe as you suggest, Graela."

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter leads Travix to Applejack's place.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by coil23 »

Graela and Tip:

Boudraine responds, Well the trunk just comes with the room if you rent the room. I don't have a safe, just these storage rooms I mentioned. Is it the price? If you are going to be staying in the area a while then I could drop the price to 1 silver a week. I heard how you helped the outpost.

Salt Peter and Travix:

A tall, burly woman with dull eyes and blond pigtails walks up as you approach, her eyes settling on Salt Peter as the familiar face. Without a word she turns and walks away, looking over her shoulder to see if you are following. The blond giant leads you to a gnome busily scribbling on two different lists. Seeing the three of you approach he removes a wooden disk on a chain from a vest pocket and glances at it before returning it to his pocket. His face looks strained for a moment but then he is distracted by his lists once again. Ah, Salt Peter, isn't it? And you, sir? He turns to Travix. I am Applejack: broker, vendor, distributor. How may I help you today? The gnome seems somber though polite and alert. From his demeanor you get the sense that his mind is also on three different backburner topics at the same time.

The blond woman walks away into one of the two large buildings facing the docks. A man with a loaded crossbow is on the roof of each building. Another man comes out of one of the structures periodically to put crates in a small, moored barge before returning inside again.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#159 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Well met, Applejack! I am Travix. The brains behind the operation, if you will. The mage gives a wink to Salty as he says this.

We have goods here that we would like appraised. We might be willing to sell some of them as well, if a fair price can be agreed upon.

The wizard waits to say any more in case his Halfling friend has anything to add........or subtract.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:Graela and Tip:
Boudraine responds, Well the trunk just comes with the room if you rent the room. I don't have a safe, just these storage rooms I mentioned. Is it the price? If you are going to be staying in the area a while then I could drop the price to 1 silver a week. I heard how you helped the outpost.
"Not at all, good sir. It's just, we don't need a large room to store our goods. Just something small."
Winter is coming...

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”