chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

#101 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix

You walk over to the Open Barrel and go inside. Unburr is busily unpacking a crate of wooden bowls and bolts of cloth. Hearing you come in he turns and drops the fabric he is holding as he stares at you wide-eyed. He belts out, Stars above! But they told me you all came back safely! Tell me nothing happened to the others! I'd never forgive myself! He eyes the two of you carefully as if to reassure himself that at least both of you are intact.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter strolls along comfortably alongside Sirling, adopting a bow-legged, wide-swinging gait that comically makes him look like a monkey with a displaced pelvis, but which allows him to keep up with long-leggers easily. He's comfortable with Sirling's silence, and spends the walk daydreaming about getting enough giant opals to buy a ship made of rosewood and gold, and crewing it entirely with earthy country lasses. Rosie'd be the first mate, and Daisy'd be the bosun, and Belinda... oh, maybe Belinda should be the first mate...
coil23 wrote: That’s Applejack’s. Some people call him the Harbor Master but it is something of a joke as you can see we have no harbor. He runs the river trade for the town. With his knowledge and connections, he is a good person to know for anyone traveling in this area.
Jolted out of his reverie, Salt Peter takes a moment to process Sirling's words. "Applejack? Oh, aye. I've 'eard he's a feller ter see fer day-work.

"Whilst we be on ther subject of the local color, who'd ye say would be ther good feller fer a lil' barter an' trade? Say, a feller had a few items of value?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by coil23 »

Salt Peter

SIlring thinks a moment before responding. Applejack would be a good one for bartering as that's what he does, possibly Unburr though on a smaller scale. Different merchants will come through Goat's Plum who do trading while they are here-more of that happening lately. She seems reluctant at this point but finally speaks again. Marge who runs the Prancing Nanny does some... under the table deals but I don't recommend getting mixed up with her. I wouldn't trust that group.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#104 Post by OGRE MAGE »

coil23 wrote:Tip and Travix

You walk over to the Open Barrel and go inside. Unburr is busily unpacking a crate of wooden bowls and bolts of cloth. Hearing you come in he turns and drops the fabric he is holding as he stares at you wide-eyed. He belts out, Stars above! But they told me you all came back safely! Tell me nothing happened to the others! I'd never forgive myself! He eyes the two of you carefully as if to reassure himself that at least both of you are intact.
Travix

We are alive and well for the most part. We have come for news......and payment, of course.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix

Unburr's voice is booming, just as before. Well, I hope your companions are all hale and hearty! Your money! Of course! Twenty five silver each so do you want just your shares or all of it to divide with the others? He lowers his voice to a normal volume for most people which is rather shocking coming from him. And thank you for making the trip. I appreciate the risk you are taking these days. I’m told of goblins seen scouting along the north road. And a merchant told me a strange tale. A caravan traveling near here stopped for the night. In the morning almost half the guards gone. Just gone. No sign of violence, even odder is that nothing was taken. It’s like they all just wandered off in the night. He shakes his head in disbelief, the worry evident on his face as he stares at the floor.

He looks back up at you with a forced smile, determined to change the mood. But trade is still good! By road and by water, wares are still moving! Look, someone brought in wild strawberries from the fields. Here you go, on the house! He hands you a basket of delicious-looking strawberries. Anything else I can interest you gentlemen in today? He spreads his hands to indicate the store shelves.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:GraelaIt is about midday by the time you reach Mom’s outpost. Simon greets you at the gate and calls for it to be opened to let you inside. In the large yard you see one of the three surviving bandits that you brought back with you has been put to work hauling water while another is brushing a horse in the corral (3 on Mom's outpost map) behind the large barn (2). Verde, the elf who spoke with Travix earlier, walks up to you. Couldn’t stay away, huh? Feels like we’re preparing for a siege. Folks were on edge before because of what’s happening out there, hikes her thumb toward the outer wall, but it’s worse since the attack inside. Though the ones you brought back here have been behaving so far and it’s good to have the extra hands right now.
Man, I'm so confused > I thought we were already at Mom's outpost...didn't realize we had went back to town. :oops: :roll:

Graela listens to Verde and then says, "So, what exactly IS happening out there? What have you seen and heard?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by coil23 »

Graela

Graela had agreed to accompany Travix back to town to speak with Silring at the Comfrey Leaf. Your group separated from there to go different ways.

Verde shrugs, a patrol recently ran down some goblins that seemed to be scouting the trade route north of here. Some got away though. We're still trying to find out where they are holed up. They come from the southeast. Some of the sentries have heard weird noises at night outside the walls. I'd laugh but I saw some people spooked- the kind of folk who don't spook easy. She stops and looks Graela up and down. You look like one of those who doesn't spook easy either. What are your plans now?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip graciously accepts his payment and the strawberries and pops one of the delectable fruits into his mouth. "Mmm... Quite delicious!" He momentarily forgets his manners as juice dribbles down his chin. He abashedly wipes his mouth off on his sleeve and asks, "I think Salty and Graela would appreciate it if we collected their coin for them. (Tip is being sincere here. He would never think of taking from his companions.) Would it be possible to speak with this caravan driver?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:Verde shrugs, a patrol recently ran down some goblins that seemed to be scouting the trade route north of here. Some got away though. We're still trying to find out where they are holed up. They come from the southeast. Some of the sentries have heard weird noises at night outside the walls. I'd laugh but I saw some people spooked- the kind of folk who don't spook easy. She stops and looks Graela up and down. You look like one of those who doesn't spook easy either. What are your plans now?
"Just wanted to come back to visit, see what the talk was, if any. How's Mom doing? Mind if I look around?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix

Unburr grins at the enjoyment of the berries then shakes his head no to the question regarding the caravan driver. Not any time soon, I expect! He's already passed through town! He could be back in a week or two or it could be a couple months!
He shrugs and then walks back to his counter and pulls a pouch out from underneath. He hands Tip a pouch of 125 silver pieces. Thanks again! If you all aren't leaving town soon I could have more work for you! Could I call on you at the River Fork Inn?

Graela

Verde nods. You wish to wander our fair kingdom? She spreads her hands, snorts a laugh, and then spits to the side. Help yourself.

Mom is Mom- a tough ol' coot. She's off on a run, probably bitin' off squirrel heads right now to make stew for dinner. Verde laughs again.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Pulpatoon »

coil23 wrote:Salt Peter

SIlring thinks a moment before responding. Applejack would be a good one for bartering as that's what he does, possibly Unburr though on a smaller scale. Different merchants will come through Goat's Plum who do trading while they are here-more of that happening lately. She seems reluctant at this point but finally speaks again. Marge who runs the Prancing Nanny does some... under the table deals but I don't recommend getting mixed up with her. I wouldn't trust that group.
Salt Peter mutters, "S'good ter know. Applejack, Unburr, mebbe not Marge. Gottit. We near upon ther place ye be headin'?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by coil23 »

Salt Peter

As Silring and Salt Peter walk up to the dock area, a small barge with two men is just poling away back into the center of the river, leaving behind a dock full of boxes and bundles. A gnome stands nearby giving instructions to two identical-looking women, talking and pointing in different directions. The women are tall, hulking, muscular, and have matching blond pigtails. They nod when he finishes and begin carrying items from the dock to the two large buildings facing the river. You notice a man on the roof facing the docks on each of the two large buildings. The men look relaxed but alert and each one holds a loaded crossbow.

Dressed in a leather topcoat and vest with a tricorner hat on his head, a pencil sticking from under the hat, the gnome seems to be juggling multiple tasks as he walks quickly between items, checking multiple lists that he holds in one hand, stopping to stare at the sky for a moment, and then repeats the process. A pair of pince-nez on a leather strap around his neck lay on his chest, which he uses to peruse the lists in his hand. Periodically he will stop and remove a small disc on a chain from a vest pocket and look at it a moment before replacing it, a strained look on his face.

Seeing the two of you he stops, his expression earnest and businesslike. Ah, Silring. Good day to you. And this must be one of the adventurers new to town. He bows slightly at Salt Peter. I am Applejack: broker, vendor, distributor. How may I help you today?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Graela spends another hour or two at the fort, then returns to town to check on her companions. The main things she does at Mom's fort is check on the prisoners they brought in, and ask about any other strange rumors since they were gone.

She finds it kinda odd that Mom would leave on a run so soon after they arrived back with the plaques. Thinking on that, she asks Verde, "What is the significance of the plaques we returned? Do they have special powers or sommat?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by coil23 »

Graela

Verde answers, the plaques are established with most of the region, even with a lot of unfriendlies, to give free passage. The magic part of it I don’t know much about but it can somehow authenticate the messenger and the message carried.

Something important is up north of here that needed Mom herself to go. She was waiting for the plaques so she could go.
The elf shrugs. Above my pay grade.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Ahoy an' well-met, Applyjack. I be Salt Peter. Pleased ter meetcher. We needs some prachyment or paper or whatnot, and inks an' such—Sirling knows ther bill. An' I might got a few items o' value, an' would be eager ter discuss yer opinion o' 'em."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by coil23 »

Salt Peter

Silring gives a few particulars for the order then Applejack gives a whistle and a young boy comes trotting out from one of the buildings. The gnome repeats the request for parchment and ink with a pointed finger at Silring and the boy nods smartly and then trots back inside. Turning to Salt Peter, Items of value always make my day more interesting. Let's see what you have.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#117 Post by Mant72 »

coil23 wrote:Tip and Travix

Unburr grins at the enjoyment of the berries then shakes his head no to the question regarding the caravan driver. Not any time soon, I expect! He's already passed through town! He could be back in a week or two or it could be a couple months!
He shrugs and then walks back to his counter and pulls a pouch out from underneath. He hands Tip a pouch of 125 silver pieces. Thanks again! If you all aren't leaving town soon I could have more work for you! Could I call on you at the River Fork Inn?
Tip:

"Aye, I would be willing to do more work for you Master Unburr." He smiles widely and pats the sack full of coin. "And, yes, I plan on taking up at the River Fork. I can't speak for my companions, but I'm sure you could reach them there as well."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by coil23 »

Tip and Travix:

Unburr seems very pleased with Tip's response. Excellent! Excellent, good man! I'll leave word with Silring or Hennoth too if I have need of you!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#119 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix

Splendid, my good man!

The Mage turns to his tiny friend.

Well? Any other errands for us to run? If not, let's go see if we can spend some of this coin.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Pulpatoon »

coil23 wrote:Items of value always make my day more interesting. Let's see what you have.
Salt Peter: "I've not got'em on me, but, fer conversations sake, lessay I gots a gold box about this big, an' about so 'eavy. An' an opal, oh, about this big aroun' an o' obvious quality. Mebbe more'n one."

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”