chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: chapter 3- opportunistic diversions

#81 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "Blood magic, aye? I seen as it can be fearsome handy. But whazzit ye intend it fer?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by coil23 »

Among other talents I am a wax witch. I could create a candle whose illumination is visible only to the person to whom it is attuned. This may be useful to help keep you safe on your adventures. If that appeals to one of you I am happy to help.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter, immediately seizing upon several dozen unsavory applications for such a candle grins widely. "Oh, aye. Ye kin draw a drop or twelve o' me claret for a fine gimcrack such as that!" He holds out his tiny brown arm. "Jus' be careful, now. I be but a tiny rundlet, not a great sloshin' keg like you greatfolk. Don't drain me dry, now."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

Not too keen on the idea of giving over her blood, Graela shows Sirling the map."What can you make of this?"
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#85 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix gets a wide eyed look on his face and holds out his finger to the witch.

I would definitely like to have something like that, friend Sirling. Can you make more than one?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by coil23 »

Silring nods assent at making two of the candles. It is not necessary for the magic but to be clear you are doing this of your own free will I ask you to draw the blood yourselves. She hands Salt Peter and Travix each a small scrap of waxed paper that she asks you to deposit a small amount of blood on. I will let you know when the first one is ready. Do you prefer one or the other be first?

The woman's eyes widen when she sees the map and she studies it intently for several minutes before speaking again. This is astounding. It looks like a map fragment to find the naga queen but most people think that's just myth. Where did you get this? May I show this to someone in town? I think that between the two of us we may be able to translate it.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

The dwarf warrior looks at Sirling with a little bit of admiration and says, "If ya can translate it, I'll give ya my blood for one of them candles."
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by coil23 »

As soon as I get some parchment and inks from Applejack I will definitely work to get this translated. Thank you. Silring carefully wraps the map in cloth and then inside a leather pouch which she places in a locked cupboard. Is there anything else I can help you with before I am off to get supplies? She seems excited to get started but wants to make sure all of you are taken care of first.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#89 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix pricks his finger and smears some blood onto the paper, handing it back to the woman.

It is possible that you only think that these people around you are boring because you are such a free spirit that likes to roam and isn't interested in living a normal, mundane life.

You can make the little ones candle first if you wish.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter hands over his bloody scrap. "Tha's all ye need? Ther bedbugs took more'n 'at last night."

When Sirling takes the map, Salt Peter suggests, "Mebbe one 'r two o' us oughter come along wit' ye. I'd hate fer ye ter run afoul o' any o' ther ne'er-do-wells we've encountered as o' late, anyone o' whom mighta 'ad eyes on tha' map."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by coil23 »

To Travix's comment, That is nice of you to say.

Turning to Salt Peter, With the dangers all of you face, it must be a nice night to only have bed bugs to contend with.

Going with me? The map is yours so I understand if you want to protect it. The choice is yours though both of my stops are here in town. If that person is unable to help there is someone further away but I won't go there unless I need to.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "I got nuthin' but idleness set fer ther day ahead, so I might as well spend it on seeing ter ther map's saf... I mean, of course, seeing ter yer safety while ther map's in yer possession." Turning to the others, he says, "Think ye kin handle yerselves wit'out me guiding hand, mates?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#93 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix chuckles a little.

I think we can manage one day without you, master Salty. Let's meet back up for sup where we can all discuss the days endeavors.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn

"Have fun, Salty!" Graela calls, then turns to Travix and Tip. "I'm going to explore the fort > get to know the place > see what the men are talking about. Who knows? Might found out something."
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

Tip's eyes light up at Sirling's offer to construct magic candles, and he willingly pricks his finger to offer up a crimson droplet, "Thank you kindly, ma'am. Is there anything we can do for you in return?," he asks of the generous herbalist.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by coil23 »

That is a kind offer, Tip. If I think of something I will let you know as there are things I need collected from the woods at times. For right now your gift is letting me find out more about this map. I will let you know what I discover.

Since I have others running errands, would you mind the shop until I return, Hennoth? The boy responds without looking up from petting the kitty. Yes, ma'am.

This is my fault for being loose with my location names but which fort is Graela going to visit? Mom's outpost fort? Abandoned fort deeper in the forest? Somewhere else? Salt Peter will accompany Silring on her errands. What will Tip and Travix do? As a reminder, Unburr at the Open Barrel will have the 25 silver owed each of you for running supplies to Mom's outpost. You had asked Boudraine to hold your rooms at the River Fork Inn though did not return in time to claim them.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Mant72 »

Tip:

"Thank you and be careful ma'am," Tip calls out to Sirling.

He suddenly remembers that he is owed coin and exclaims, "Well, I'm off to collect my 25 silver from Unburr. Would you care to join me?," he asks Travix.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela Windborn
coil23 wrote:This is my fault for being loose with my location names but which fort is Graela going to visit? Mom's outpost fort? Abandoned fort deeper in the forest? Somewhere else? Salt Peter will accompany Silring on her errands. What will Tip and Travix do? As a reminder, Unburr at the Open Barrel will have the 25 silver owed each of you for running supplies to Mom's outpost. You had asked Boudraine to hold your rooms at the River Fork Inn though did not return in time to claim them.
She was going to explore Mom's outpost fort and just see how everyone is doing; listen for gossip and rumors, that kind of thing. Unburr and the River Fork Inn are back in town, right? After Graela satisfies her curiosity at Mom's fort, she too will return to town to collect her payment and see about her room.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by coil23 »

Graela

It is about midday by the time you reach Mom’s outpost. Simon greets you at the gate and calls for it to be opened to let you inside. In the large yard you see one of the three surviving bandits that you brought back with you has been put to work hauling water while another is brushing a horse in the corral (3 on Mom's outpost map) behind the large barn (2). Verde, the elf who spoke with Travix earlier, walks up to you. Couldn’t stay away, huh? Feels like we’re preparing for a siege. Folks were on edge before because of what’s happening out there, hikes her thumb toward the outer wall, but it’s worse since the attack inside. Though the ones you brought back here have been behaving so far and it’s good to have the extra hands right now.

Salt Peter

Silring retrieves the map fragment and places it, still wrapped, in a pouch to carry with her. You walk with Silring through town toward the river. She nods sociably to most passersby. She does not speak much but this seems more about being at ease with silence rather than rudeness toward you. As you approach the southern bridge to cross over to the western part of this little town you pass the Prancing Nanny tavern on your left (13 on Goat’s Plum Crossing town map). A rather severe-looking man standing outside the tavern near the water watches you steadily though says nothing. As you and Silring walk across the bridge she points upstream to where three docks jut out a bit into the water with two large buildings behind them on the shore (35). That’s Applejack’s. Some people call him the Harbor Master but it is something of a joke as you can see we have no harbor. He runs the river trade for the town. With his knowledge and connections, he is a good person to know for anyone traveling in this area.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#100 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Mant72 wrote:Tip:

"Thank you and be careful ma'am," Tip calls out to Sirling.

He suddenly remembers that he is owed coin and exclaims, "Well, I'm off to collect my 25 silver from Unburr. Would you care to join me?," he asks Travix.
Of course I will, Tip. You know, we wizards have always been found of the company of shirefolk. Let's go see old Unburr then!

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”